Finally! A Toy Show Is Coming Back To The Home of Kenner!!!

Reaction score
How was it, everybody? I did not get to go this year, and I was very disappointed.

Please share what you got!
I've been all 3 years now. From what I saw, it seemed like it was a little slower than years 1 & 2. I didn't count but it looked like there were a few less vendors overall this year and a few more vendors selling non-vintage, which was disappointing.

There seemed to be a decent selection of last 17, quite a few boxed 12"s and lots of MOC available.

A couple sellers had some foreign MOC's but I didn't bother asking for prices as those aren't really in my collecting wheelhouse.

Personally, I picked up 5 loose/completes for my run from the Lehmkuhls and another booth, nothing too exciting. I didn't come across anyone selling off too many standalone weapons/accs...In years past you could usually find 1 or 2 sellers with a small horde of weapons, capes, etc...to round out your incompletes. Didn't find that this year although sometimes a couple of sellers have some blasters and such tucked away that you might not notice at first glance. I ended up walking out with about $200 in my pocket that was allocated for weapons I needed but no luck.

Prices (from some vendors) seemed a tad high but all I spoke to were willing to negotiate.

Had a brief convo with a fellow I think has some role in organizing the Cincy show and perhaps the Columbus show (forgot his name, Nick maybe?); he saw the same thing as I did, smaller turnout than prior years, people were buying spending though so hopefully it was worthwhile for the vendors.

Someone may have seen or know more than I do about the show overall, for me, I'm glad they had it again but it wasn't as "good" as last year and certainly not close to year 1, which was incredible so far as selection goes.

Reaction score
Had a brief convo with a fellow I think has some role in organizing the Cincy show and perhaps the Columbus show (forgot his name, Nick maybe?); he saw the same thing as I did, smaller turnout than prior years, people were buying spending though so hopefully it was worthwhile for the vendors.
James Ford is the show promoter. I agree that this show was a bit more low key than it has been over the last 2 years, but it was exponentially more exciting than any of the CTS Cincinnati based shows promoted 5-6 years ago. Toy shows have made a real come back.

~Josh

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
James Ford is the show promoter. I agree that this show was a bit more low key than it has been over the last 2 years, but it was exponentially more exciting than any of the CTS Cincinnati based shows promoted 5-6 years ago. Toy shows have made a real come back.

~Josh
Probably was James, he runs the show there and here in Columbus. He's an ok guy back last year when the Columbus Toyshow was 2 days long the early-buyer entry was only for the saturday which I missed. So i showed up Sunday an hour early to find only 1 other guy standing there and realizing there was no early buyer let-in for the 2nd day. So after waiting an hour in a chilly morning James let me and the other guy in and he comp'd us 2 the door fee (we were the 1st 2 in the 2nd day of course) since we hadn't been aware of it.

I visit his store in Columbus BIGFUN sometimes to pick up modern SW and drool over vintage SW behind the glass cases.

Reaction score
Decent shows are getting more scarce as time goes on, so who was the brilliant genius who scheduled the same weekend as the semi annual Chicago show? People spent a day or less at the Chicago show then bailed to go to Ohio show. That's nuts in my opinion. Does neither show any good splitting up buyers and sellers.

Reaction score
Decent shows are getting more scarce as time goes on, so who was the brilliant genius who scheduled the same weekend as the semi annual Chicago show? People spent a day or less at the Chicago show then bailed to go to Ohio show. That's nuts in my opinion. Does neither show any good splitting up buyers and sellers.

Yup....Amen to this comment. No one wins on this one.

Reaction score
I was thinking/wondering the same thing myself. Shame as it dilutes both the Sellers and Buyers at each show.

Reaction score
I went the first year, then came back for this one. I felt the quality had been diluted a bit - there seemed to be fewer sellers, prices were pretty high across the board (with a few exceptions) and not as good of a selection. I don't think there are a lot of new sellers being added to the mix so that has an unfortunate result of showing some stagnation.

Nevertheless, it was great seeing folks I haven't seen since moving across the country last year :)

Reaction score
I went to the show but was not set up. I wanted to but could not commit to being there early the day before for setup and then staying all day on Sunday and driving 4 hours to get home. There was a good amount of vintage but having it scheduled the same day as Kane county was not a good idea. I have known the promoter for years and I would imagine this was the best date available without any major issues for him and or most of his regular dealers. You also have to take into account that most people HATE to pay for parking and James tried to get a venue that doesn't charge.

I know of at least 4-6 dealers that did Kane county instead because it's a well established show. This one will be in the near future, much like the Columbus Show is now, and then the $$$ will be more stable and worthwhile for more vendors. This show is nice since you're not dealing with higher admission to offset celebrities/ artists/ parking charges(Wizard) and it's not costing attendees their first born to bring the entire family(Wizard). Plus, he only has toy dealers. You didn't see people peddling insurance, home improvement, crafts, and sports cards that sometimes turn so-called toy shows into flea markets with paid admission. The hotel gathering was a great meetup for collectors and I reconnected with friends I only see maybe once every other year. There were quite a few jaw dropping items there including protos, one of a kinds and even a Rocket Fett.

This will be the premier show in Cincy and I imagine he will branch out again in another Northern OH area in the near future.B)

James

Reaction score
There's a lot of show politics on the convention circuit, and the geek culture is caught in the middle of it, which is unfortunate. Geek culture sells, and big "corporate" run shows moving into areas which were previously well served through more traditional, grassroots-developed conventions are feeling like they're getting pushed out. Of course, it's all relative to a scene where a number of people are starting these up with an exit strategy - someone I knew personally did very well selling a show he had run since 2000 to Wizard in 09'. If I had to tell you the amount of b.s. he had to put up with for nearly a decade with a competing show trying to rub him out, you might wonder if it's worth it. After all the controversy around the lines blurring with the way shows are being run, with everything from the vendors and product/merch having no business being at a con, or foot traffic becoming more focused on dressing-up than spending, there's a seemingly unending backdrop of drama with competing organizers sabotaging each other. A thread almost blew up on the CGC boards a day or two ago with one of the smaller Tampa promoters having at a member who is involved with the Megacon show that now runs in Tampa as well. Interestingly the thread seems to have been closed down by the forum admins due to the fact the promoter bagging on the other show was found to have a conflict of interest (no kidding).

Reaction score
Really? No one? Fine! I'll go by myself! :awesome:
I will be there- there is an event page on Facebook where hundreds of collectors have committed to coming.

I'd love to go but what kind of show sets up on a Sunday only?
Most toy show are only one day, including the country's largest, the Chicago Toy Show.
Many people like me won't commit to anything longer than a day since we do this as a hobby, not a living. Conventions are the only events like this that I know of that are multiple days. Being in Ohio, it's a no-brainer to attend. You won't find a larger selection of vintage Star Wars stuff anywhere in the country outside of maybe Celebration, which occurs every other year if we are lucky.

Reaction score
My wife and i went. It was ok, but seemed less exciting this year. We got there b4 gen admission, paid early bird and was ready to go by 10ish. I did get a potf2 x wing complete for customizing for 10 bucks. I was hoping to see 1 of 2 vintage toys...old sears space frontier playset. Saw one a year or 2 ago but was short on funds and secondly there was a 3.75" scare generic star fighter I had as a kid. The wings were removable making the vehicle double as a space -ray role playing gun. It has red lights in the front that flashed, a red canopy simular shape to an xwing. The wings were kinda v shaped but when attached, made the ship have a x wing wanna-be vibe. It held a 3.75 figure but no droid socket as it was not sw or kenner made. But my parents got it for me as a Christmas gift as an alternative to an actual x wing so it must been cheaper, or they didnt realize it wasnt sw, lol. I have no idea who made it or whay toy line but id like to find one just for nastalgia sake. I even emailed Jordan the toy hunter and he was stumped on its identity.
I did see a Tara toys 24 figure case for 10 bucks I almost bought for nastalgia because my old vintage sw figs I kept in those, but inner trays were in very bad shape. I could've fixed w/ duck tape but there'd be more tape than plastic so I passed on it

Reaction score
I was there. Bought some Daggits from the Lemcool brothers. Also got the Disney 4 pack of Droid Factory Astros: C2-B5, R2-BHD, R3-M2 and R5-SK1. Was hoping to find some Buck Rogers Starships, but no luck..

Reaction score
This year it was October 13th. No one noticed or posted. I forgot to watch for it in September...