QUESTION Figure cleaning tips.

Reaction score
Any tips for getting loose figures clean? New to the collecting so not sure about any issues. When I get one should I just leave it well enough alone? Try to remove the dirt and grim? Wondering after I just picked up a weequay what really seems to be in great condition, tight and no wear I can see at all. It just does have two small dots on the back of one of his legs. Won’t try and cover them up at all but is it ok to try and clean him and see if they come image.jpgoff and if so what would be the best way to do that?

Reaction score
I clean alot of figures with a toothbrush(soft) and dawn dish soap. It works great. Just be gentle on delicate paint areas like painted noses. As far as those spots, there probably paint splatter from the factory. I just gently pick at those with my fingernail while washing them. I have had good success getting a lot of spots off.

Reaction score
I've had great success cleaning up figures with a wet Norwex cloth. Just wet the cloth with water and wipe away.

Dax

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :) The best thing about this place is the wealth of accumulated knowledge from literally decades of contributions. My best advice here is to have a play with the search function as there are numerous cleaning threads already in the vintage section. It'll make for some very helpful reading!

Reaction score
Magic eraser w a spritz of household cleaner and elbow grease may get those spots out. Enjoy the hobby!

Reaction score
A word of warning with magic erasers: they can scratch surfaces and make some surfaces that are glossy, matte.

If careful with application (on a cotton swab) and applied on an un-painted area, acetone cane remove paint over-spray/splatter quickly and effectively.

Also, I recently bought a MoTU Beast Man that looked rather bet up and dirty, but I had my suspicions it may clean up well. It had all sorts of dirt, black marker and some kind of silver on it (I think from one of those paint pens). I was using a Clorox wipe for something else and decided to try it on Beast Man. I applied it to unpainted areas only and it removed all of the dirt and paint! It looks next-to-new! Not sure if there are any known detrimental chemicals/properties of Clorox wipes (other than not being able to find them in stores!).

Reaction score
A word of warning with magic erasers: they can scratch surfaces and make some surfaces that are glossy, matte.

If careful with application (on a cotton swab) and applied on an un-painted area, acetone cane remove paint over-spray/splatter quickly and effectively.

Also, I recently bought a MoTU Beast Man that looked rather bet up and dirty, but I had my suspicions it may clean up well. It had all sorts of dirt, black marker and some kind of silver on it (I think from one of those paint pens). I was using a Clorox wipe for something else and decided to try it on Beast Man. I applied it to unpainted areas only and it removed all of the dirt and paint! It looks next-to-new! Not sure if there are any known detrimental chemicals/properties of Clorox wipes (other than not being able to find them in stores!).
Thanks. I’ve had some good luck starting with just a warm bath and scrub with a soft toothbrush then carefully using goof off on the end of a qtip to get any small marks. Hadn’t thought about acetone.

Reaction score
Anyone got tips for cleaning the ones that have started leeching sticky liquid on the surface? I’ve got a few like that, and they are in excellent condition otherwise. Soap and toothbrush don’t help much. Seems like the figures with dark plastic are more likely to leech.

I’ve got one figure that is perfect except for his face (which is not painted) has developed dark spots all over it from some sort of chemical process. It looks like mold, but it’s not, it’s the plastic itself. I’m sure there is nothing I can do about that but toss him into the beater pile.

Reaction score
Anyone got tips for cleaning the ones that have started leeching sticky liquid on the surface? I’ve got a few like that, and they are in excellent condition otherwise. Soap and toothbrush don’t help much. Seems like the figures with dark plastic are more likely to leech.

I’ve got one figure that is perfect except for his face (which is not painted) has developed dark spots all over it from some sort of chemical process. It looks like mold, but it’s not, it’s the plastic itself. I’m sure there is nothing I can do about that but toss him into the beater pile.
For that sticky ooze from plastic degradation just soak it longer in a warm, soapy bath (I like using dish detergent). If it does not work, soak it longer!

Molding actually can occur within the figure's plastic. Although frowned upon by some, you can use Clearasil Vanishing zit creme (10% benzoyl peroxide) to lessen these spots. It is not as invasive/damaging as lliquid peroxide baths. Dab just a little on the affected area and sit in the warm sun for half an hour to an hour. Wash off. Repeat as necessary. Be careful with painted areas. I've done this, coming up on 10 years now, with a couple figures with no detrimental side effects and they still look great.