Fears for my collection...

Reaction score
Who else is worried about a leaky basement or just plain area flooding ruining a chuck of their collection? I'd like to move everthing that is on the floor upstairs and everything under 12" up too but there's just so much to move.

The next few weeks may decide my future collecting.

Reaction score
I did have a leak right between two of my shelves, and I was very concered with flooding, and other damages to it after that. I've come to the matter of fact, that if something happens, I'll just open evrything. But for hardcore collectors, I'd bet they have horrible dreams about something like that happening....

Reaction score
My basement flooded slighty, so we had to throw the carpet out. But my collection is upstairs -- unfortunately that was my brother's room.

Reaction score
Im just now finishing my basement from water damage...my water damage was from the house itself...we think/hope we figured out what the problems were...

...but in any case mucky doo doo water on your stuff is no good for anyone...good luck fellas...

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm starting to get worried.

I was living and working in Des Moines in '93 and didn't have running water for a month after that flood. I really don't want to do that again.

So far my basement hasn't had any more water in it than usual and I'd like to keep it that way. But, I am starting to get paranoid.

It might be a good thing that I've been keeping parts of my collection at the office.

Hey, Jerry, how're things up in W'loo?

Reaction score
Well, I am just getting settled in my new house, fortunately it is built on the move elevated side of Waterloo, so no flooding...
I have got a little bit of water in the basement, but that is just because the ground here is so saturated already! I finally have all of my Star Wars stuff together and getting ready to display, but just want to make sure NO MORE RAIN. I have my Koto Fett, but haven't had time to put him together.

Reaction score
I had my cardboard store displays in the basement. Just about every display there was. 90% are now ruined.

I was getting ready to finish the basement. I am going to put a second sump pump next to the floor drain. The water keeps coming out of there.

Reaction score
obi1kevnobi said:
I am going to put a second sump pump next to the floor drain. The water keeps coming out of there.
Thats where our water was coming from...we installed a ball valve in the drain...basically its a plastic hollow ball...a little larger than a golf ball...and a fitting thats smaller than the ball with a rubber gasket on it...basically if the water fills up the ball floats on top top of the water once the water level reaches a point the ball plugs up the valve...

Reaction score
obi1kevnobi said:
I had my cardboard store displays in the basement. Just about every display there was. 90% are now ruined.

I was getting ready to finish the basement. I am going to put a second sump pump next to the floor drain. The water keeps coming out of there.
Sorry to hear that, I lost some of mine at my last house due to the ground being to saturated, so now I try to be EXTRA careful with the cardboard.

Reaction score
I found a new leak the other day and started to move stuff. Found an X-men DVD release standee I didn't know I had as well as a Phantom menace DVD release standee I forgot about.

Speaking of which, I have a Batman returns VHS release standee I've wanted to get rid of for years. It's been opened, but never taken out of the box. Anyone interested ?

Best offer.

Reaction score
Okay, this blows.

I have mini ponds in my front and side yard. Cedar Rapids has shut down the power to most of downtown. A good chunk of CR is without power, including my office. I can't remotely access our company email because the servers are all downtown and turned off. It sounds like I'm the only person from my office who currently has power at home.

But my collection seems to be dry. Priorities, ya know.

Reaction score
It sucks when I have water in my Basement...my entire collection, save 7-8 boxed figures, and a large amount of vintage stuff, is downstairs. It floods about once every 3-4 years, so that means, drag the furniture and carpet out, salvage anything that got wet, and then put it all back.

Reaction score
Thanks Alex, I really appreciate that.

Things are still crappy in Cedar Rapids, but they are slowly starting to mend.
It's gonna be a long time before things are considered normal for a very large number of people here.

Fortunately we didn't have to evacuate where I live, but we did have water in the cellar/dungeon.

I hope everyone in the Des Moines and central Iowa area is okay.