Favourite film order.

Reaction score
1. ESB
2. ROTJ
3. ANH (Almost tie, 2 and 3 switch sometimes)

The other films don't exist in my world.

Reaction score
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ

8. TPM

I find the others harder to place. I prefer the AOTC/ROTS story because it provides the background to the OT, but the cinematography of the ST is better. I've not placed RO as it's not part of the Saga.

Reaction score
ROTJ has jabba the hutt, the speeder bike chase, the emperor and vader vs luke again. Also the space battle over endor is stunning! What's not to like. Brilliant film. Very under-rated.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

For years RotJ was actually my favorite of the oT, too. From the time it came out in '83 until maybe about the time of the Special Editions or a few years before when I was a young teen. Jedi had a lot of awesome stuff that still makes it on-par with ANH and ESB in my eyes. We finally got to see Jabba, saw The Emperor in-person, Luke as a full-fledged Jedi, the Rancor, the Sarlacc pit, Boba Fett's return, the red Emperor's Royal Guards, the Space Shuttle, B-Wings and A-Wings, TIE Interceptors, Skiff Guards and Palace denizens, Biker Scouts, Speeder Bikes, AT-ST Drivers, Ewoks, Luke's green lightsaber, Lando as a Rebel, Rebel Troops in camouflage, Admiral Ackbar (he was a fav of mine as a kid. I remember sending my POPs out to Kenner to receive mine in the mail in the little white box), Luke getting a rematch vs his dad, and finally seeing the man underneath Vader's mask! There's certainly a lot to like about Jedi.

I think the only reason I put ANH and ESB above it is because the dialogue was never quite as good in Jedi. I do think the Ewoks are little too cutesy for their own good, but I never really was bothered by it as much as a lot of other fans are. I mean, the Jawas were sort of ANH's version of the Ewoks. Though they weren't featured in it as much or as integral to the story. As a kid I was obsessed with everything about Jedi. I loved ANH and ESB, but was enamored with RotJ.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For years RotJ was actually my favorite of the oT, too. From the time it came out in '83 until maybe about the time of the Special Editions or a few years before when I was a young teen. Jedi had a lot of awesome stuff that still makes it on-par with ANH and ESB in my eyes. We finally got to see Jabba, saw The Emperor in-person, Luke as a full-fledged Jedi, the Rancor, the Sarlacc pit, Boba Fett's return, the red Emperor's Royal Guards, the Space Shuttle, B-Wings and A-Wings, TIE Interceptors, Skiff Guards and Palace denizens, Biker Scouts, Speeder Bikes, AT-ST Drivers, Ewoks, Luke's green lightsaber, Lando as a Rebel, Rebel Troops in camouflage, Admiral Ackbar (he was a fav of mine as a kid. I remember sending my POPs out to Kenner to receive mine in the mail in the little white box), Luke getting a rematch vs his dad, and finally seeing the man underneath Vader's mask! There's certainly a lot to like about Jedi.

I think the only reason I put ANH and ESB above it is because the dialogue was never quite as good in Jedi. I do think the Ewoks are little too cutesy for their own good, but I never really was bothered by it as much as a lot of other fans are. I mean, the Jawas were sort of ANH's version of the Ewoks. Though they weren't featured in it as much or as integral to the story. As a kid I was obsessed with everything about Jedi. I loved ANH and ESB, but was enamored with RotJ.
I heartily agree with you sir!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I always felt ROTJ was too short for the total story it needed to relay.. if felt rushed and a li'l too convenient for the heroes. When I had the TTM success w/ Howard Kazanjian years ago, he wrote back quite a bit and said the film was trimmed and cut in such a way to allow for X amount of screenings per day, as well as a for a few other issues we know about, like the director was kinda lost, GL was miserable, etc. I think the film gets a bum deal more than it should.

Last edited:
Reaction score

ROTJ was my favorite as a child as well. It was as I got older that I came to prefer Empire, but not really at the expense of Jedi. It is the most flawed original from a storytelling narrative. I just can't deny it. There are three major flaws to the film for me upon adult viewing.

I find the Jabba stuff, despite the rescue plan being so convoluted, all golden. Probably my favorite sequence in the film. I find the speeder bike chase, Palpatine sequences, and orbital battle of Endor perfect as well. My first issue is the rehash of a Death Star. It's just...kind of lazy. That's one of those things where I go, "Ah...screw it, I guess I can go with it" instead of jump for joy. My second is the character of Han Solo. For me, I always felt this was by far Harrison's weakest performance as Han Solo. He just seems like he's phoning it in...and later you realize, behind the scenes, he basically was. Han Solo comes off less smug but lovable and witty and more just a straight up **hole. My last issue is the cliche one. Ewoks. I don't dislike them and even used to once love them long ago, but upon growing up, it is pretty absurd they win and the first moment of SW pretty much selling the story out for merchandising priority. I can write it off, I suppose, they're...bearable (get it?)...but it's not a high water mark for the originals.

But it did introduce a lot of my all-time favorite aspects of SW.

The cantina sequence was always my favorite moment in A New Hope, now we have basically a half hour of it with Jabba's Palace. It introduced probably my favorite alien races and among the most iconic that aren't main characters like Wookiee's or Yoda. Hutt's, Twi-Lek, Mon Calamari, Sullustian, Gamorrean, Ewoks, all pretty major races even casuals tend to recognize. On and on! It has a giant freaking space monster. I don't care how old I am, that will always be awesome. It introduced my favorite trooper in the scout trooper. It has the best space battle in the history of SW IMO. It introduces Luke Skywalker as a Jedi. It introduces some of my favorite ships in the history of the franchise with speeder bikes, A-Wings, AT-ST, so on. And frankly, while it's no longer my favorite, it's simply just the most fun to me.

So while not my favorite anymore, because I sincerely believe it's the most fun, it still is the one I have watched the most.

Last edited:
Reaction score
the merch was staggering, it was the first time I truly saw SW everywhere, and my family was real good at seeing it come my way. It was a grand ol time, they can squawk all they want now, but no one here now was sitting there in 83 going, wow you know-that just wasn't good at all. pffft, droid please.....

Reaction score
Given the love for Jedi just now, seens an appropriate time to chime in:

Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Don't care if Empire is "a better film", Oscar Isaac's feelings echo my own regarding Jedi. It was the right time, and a huge chunk of my enjoyment was derived from the toys. And Jedi had "the best toys".

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. V - The Empire Strikes Back
2. IV - A New Hope
3. VI - The Return of the Jedi
4. VII - The Force Awakens
5. III - Revenge of the Sith
6. VIII - The Last Jedi
7. I - The Phantom Menace
8. II - Attack of the Clones

6-8 are a bit hazy for me, but I'll go with the above.

Reaction score
Given the love for Jedi just now, seens an appropriate time to chime in:

Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Don't care if Empire is "a better film", Oscar Isaac's feelings echo my own regarding Jedi. It was the right time, and a huge chunk of my enjoyment was derived from the toys. And Jedi had "the best toys".
This post echoes my exact opinions, although on another day I'd have Empire above Star Wars

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
My preference atm.

Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Reaction score
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Holiday Special
The Last Jedi

Reaction score
LOL if you got Holiday Special here, which is not a movie, you should then include the 2 Ewok MOVIES. (even tho we know it's there just for the TLJ jab)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Reaction score
My order:

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
Rogue One
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Reaction score
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Star Wars
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. The Force Awakens
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Star Wars Holiday Special
10. Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
11. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
12. Every other movie made in the history of movies
13. A TV screen with nothing but static
14. A TV screen that is turned off
15. The Last Jedi

Reaction score
in all honesty, the prequels were bad. maybe as bad as TLJ. but at least the prequels didnt waste Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill, or deliberately marginalize Luke Skywalker.

Rian Johnson had Carrie Fisher (RIP) and Mark Hamill and that was what we got..?

Reaction score
JJ had Mark Hamill at his disposal too, and he ALSO refused to use him. he wouldn't touch the character with a ten foot pole. he explained: as soon as you put "Luke Skywalker" in a movie then it becomes a movie about Luke Skywalker -- he didn't know HOW to use the character without taking focus away from Rey. (imagine if JJ had placed Luke and Leia together in the same room fighting for the 'resistance' at the same time -- it would steal the show -- then NOBODY would pay attention to Rey). this is supposed to be Rey's story afterall -- the official line from JJ says: in order to maintain focus on Rey he intentionally left Luke out of TFA completely... which 'passed the buck' to Rian Johnson instead (a relatively inexperienced film-maker. 'good luck with that' Rian).

Rian's challenge: to use Luke in a movie and STILL make it all about Rey -- something JJ refused to ATTEMPT -- Rian chose to diminish Luke's character and make Luke repulsive to the audience & to separate Luke and carrie for the whole film so their chemistry doesn't steal the show. ie: he took the path of least resistance.. he didn't know how to include the old characters EITHER... so he did his best NOT to include them at all. the only thing he gave Luke was a pretty good death scene. he scores points for the death scene.

so yeah. at one point, we had Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, AND Harrison Ford all in one movie .. 3 actors hand-picked AS a trio in 1976 for their onscreen chemistry .. and THIS is what we got: 2 film-makers who CHICKENED OUT and refused to put them together in one scene because they were afraid the explosive onscreen chemistry would BLOW UP their movie -- 2 film-makers who openly stated in their own words the challenge of including the iconic SW characters without completely overpowering their weak new characters such as Rey and Finn. they said it explicitly. they were afraid of the OT characters, because they KNEW the OT characters would over-shadow the weak new cast... so they gave it a miss (FFS!) they didn't even TRY. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I think JJ was given a pass by many of us because Harrison Ford delivered an excellent performance, and at least he set something up for Luke. But yeah, he is definitely responsible as well. He breaks up Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, to not steal the show from garbage characters like Finn and Poe? I find that totally reprehensible. They shouldve just made stronger new characters.

My main complaint about both TFA and TLJ is a total lack of compelling new characters. Paige had potential. They shouldve just given her Rose's screentime and let her develop. Other than that, there's nobody from 7 or 8 that are anywhere near as interesting as Han, Luke, or Leia.

Reaction score
JJ had Mark Hamill at his disposal too, and he ALSO refused to use him. he wouldn't touch the character with a ten foot pole. he explained: as soon as you put "Luke Skywalker" in a movie then it becomes a movie about Luke Skywalker -- he didn't know HOW to use the character without taking focus away from Rey. (imagine if JJ had placed Luke and Leia together in the same room fighting for the 'resistance' at the same time -- it would steal the show -- then NOBODY would pay attention to Rey). this is supposed to be Rey's story afterall -- the official line from JJ says: in order to maintain focus on Rey he intentionally left Luke out of TFA completely... which 'passed the buck' to Rian Johnson instead (a relatively inexperienced film-maker. 'good luck with that' Rian).

Rian's challenge: to use Luke in a movie and STILL make it all about Rey -- something JJ refused to ATTEMPT -- Rian chose to diminish Luke's character and make Luke repulsive to the audience & to separate Luke and carrie for the whole film so their chemistry doesn't steal the show. ie: he took the path of least resistance.. he didn't know how to include the old characters EITHER... so he did his best NOT to include them at all. the only thing he gave Luke was a pretty good death scene. he scores points for the death scene.

so yeah. at one point, we had Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, AND Harrison Ford all in one movie .. 3 actors hand-picked AS a trio in 1976 for their onscreen chemistry .. and THIS is what we got: 2 film-makers who CHICKENED OUT and refused to put them together in one scene because they were afraid the explosive onscreen chemistry would BLOW UP their movie -- 2 film-makers who openly stated in their own words the challenge of including the iconic SW characters without completely overpowering their weak new characters such as Rey and Finn. they said it explicitly. they were afraid of the OT characters, because they KNEW the OT characters would over-shadow the weak new cast... so they gave it a miss (FFS!) they didn't even TRY. :(

Very well put. It is unfortunate.

Quick question, in your opinion How much of Johnson’s decision making with the OT characters was intentional and how much of it was a genuine lack of understanding? In the case of Yoda, I really feel as though he did not understand the character. The film gives us the wrong Yoda. Johnson presented us with the silly yoda, the Yoda that Yoda pretended to be to throw Luke off. This is not the Yoda we should be seeing when he shows up to mentor old Luke.

This makes me wonder...did Johnson not understand the character of Yoda?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much that he didn't understand the character on the whole, I think its just that he didn't understand how to use Luke as a SUPPORTING character. in, what had been, Luke's own story up until this point.

the mandate was to preserve the integrity of the "new cast" (old cast be damned) -- and that's exactly what happened. every decision made about luke's character was justified by saying "yeah well it's not his movie anymore, we have use Luke in a way that serves the REY character instead". suddenly Luke is the red-headed-stepchild and he's getting the short end of every stick. Rian's treatment of Luke was ruthless and unapologetic -- it was all about Rey.

Reaction score
I think two things should have happened:

1. Rey should have been Luke’s daughter (in a completely different story).

2. TFA should have been Luke’s story that starts to show hints of Rey taking center stage. Half way through 8, it becomes Rey’s story with a sacrafice by Luke. 9 Is Rey’s story with Luke gone entirely.

Reaction score
Yeah I think JJ was given a pass by many of us because Harrison Ford delivered an excellent performance, and at least he set something up for Luke. But yeah, he is definitely responsible as well. He breaks up Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, to not steal the show from garbage characters like Finn and Poe? I find that totally reprehensible. They shouldve just made stronger new characters.

My main complaint about both TFA and TLJ is a total lack of compelling new characters. Paige had potential. They shouldve just given her Rose's screentime and let her develop. Other than that, there's nobody from 7 or 8 that are anywhere near as interesting as Han, Luke, or Leia.
We like the Original Trilogy characters so much because they had 2-3 movies to shine. I actually liked the 3 new main characters that TFA introduced us to. They had potential. But unlike the Original Trilogy characters, they only had 1 movie to be treated with respect. Rather than building those characters up, TLJ took those characters and made them worse.

In TFA, Finn makes a decision to leave the First Order and although initially he's just out to save his own skin, he ultimately helps the resistance. In TLJ, Finn starts out trying to desert and doesn't accomplish anything throughout the movie. At the end he tries to be a hero and Rose stops him.

Poe goes from the slightly cocky but heroic ace pilot we see in TFA to irresponsible and insubordinate.

In TFA, Rey appears like a Mary Sue but there is an attempt to get us to root for her. And without any information about her background, we're left thinking there must be a reason for how quickly she's picking up her force abilities. Then comes TLJ, confirming that she is in fact a Mary Sue.

I think that the 3 new protagonists had the potential to be good characters which could have displayed character growth throughout the 3 movies. In my personal opinion, TFA wasn't the problem. The problem was TLJ, which destroyed the 3 new protagonists, and the Original Trilogy characters, and Star Wars itself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd say he did, which is why he reintroduced the ESB Yoda. in all this time, he's still telling Luke much of the same lesson
Very well put. It is unfortunate.

Quick question, in your opinion How much of Johnson’s decision making with the OT characters was intentional and how much of it was a genuine lack of understanding? In the case of Yoda, I really feel as though he did not understand the character. The film gives us the wrong Yoda. Johnson presented us with the silly yoda, the Yoda that Yoda pretended to be to throw Luke off. This is not the Yoda we should be seeing when he shows up to mentor old Luke.

This makes me wonder...did Johnson not understand the character of Yoda?

Reaction score
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
(Rogue One)
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Reaction score
Empire
Star Wars
Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Reaction score
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of The Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of The Sith
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
The Phantom Menace
Attack of The Clones

Last edited:
Reaction score
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Phantom Menace
Revenge Of The Sith
Return Of The Jedi
Attack Of the Clones
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
BattleField Earth
Gigli
From Justin To Kelly
The Twilight Saga
The Last Jedi

Reaction score
ESB
R1
ROTJ
ROTS
ANH
TPM
TLJ
AOTC/TFA (changes with my mood)

Last edited:
Reaction score
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Phantom Menace
Revenge Of The Sith
Return Of The Jedi
Attack Of the Clones
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
BattleField Earth
Gigli
From Justin To Kelly
The Twilight Saga
The Last Jedi
hahaha! sad but true

Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi (equal IMHO, don't really prefer one over the other at the moment)
TPM/ROTS (same thing)
AOTC

Reaction score
1/ Empire Strikes Back
2/ Star Wars
3/ Return of the Jedi
4/ Rogue One
5/ Revenge of the Sith
6/ Attack of the Clones
7/ The Force Awakens
8/ The Phantom Menace
9/ The Last (placed) Jedi

Reaction score
So I notice that a lot of people with "Fett" in their name dislike the movie.

It's a conspiracy!

Last edited: