Favorite POTJ?

Reaction score
Re: Favorite POTJ figs?

movieman78 said:
Bespin Han Solo was always my favorite. I don't think a better version has been made since.
So good in fact it'll be out again soon!

I liked Teebo and Zutton and I just totally love the Jedi training Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures. Those nearly got me back in during my non-collecting years.

Reaction score

My vote goes to Han Solo: Death Star Escape.

This figure was a nice version of Han Solo before they decided to make him anorexic.

And I still think that a better head sculpt of Han Solo has NOT been done since.

As a matter of fact, I have gone on record many times to state that the POTJ line contained all of the VERY BEST head sculpts of the human (and even some of the non-human) characters of the Saga, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Ben Kenobi, etc. all saw their FINEST head sculpts and paint applications in the POTJ line.

When ball-jointed necks were introduced later during the VOTC (creating strange warped jaw-lines for these characters) attractive likenesses went right OUT THE WINDOW as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score

DARKLORD1967 said:
My vote goes to Han Solo: Death Star Escape.

This figure was a nice version of Han Solo before they decided to make him anorexic.

And I still think that a better head sculpt of Han Solo has NOT been done since.

As a matter of fact, I have gone on record many times to state that the POTJ line contained all of the VERY BEST head sculpts of the human (and even some of the non-human) characters of the Saga, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Ben Kenobi, etc. all saw their FINEST head sculpts and paint applications in the POTJ line.

When ball-jointed necks were introduced later during the VOTC (creating strange warped jaw-lines for these characters) attractive likenesses went right OUT THE WINDOW as far as I'm concerned.
Quoted for being entirely factual. DARKLORD1967 is very right here, about Han Solos anorexia ever since VOTC and about the excellent headsculpts on the core characters in the POTJ line. I also agree that the downturn in likenesses coincided with ball-joint necks which wreck the jaw and hairlines of too many figures. I used to be a frequent complainer about this fact but lately I've just gotten used to it.

Anyway, loads of excellent figures in POTJ that I still use today and would be happy with even if they were never updated, and of those that have been updated I still have not retired these older figures:

TPM

Security battle droid
Boss Nass
Tusken raider w/sniper rifle
Boomer damage battle droid
Coruscant guard
Jar Jar w/extended tongue&pitdroid
Sabe (maybe too tall now though)
Mas Amedda (though I'm not fond of that dead-straight arm)

ANH

Ellors Madak
Boshek
Han solo Death star escape
Porkins (OK, new pilot figures are more advanced)
Ben Kenobi
Rebel fleet trooper (does need a new SA fig but doesn't mean I'll be retiring this one)

ESB

Bespin Han (still the best)
Dagobah spirit Vader
FX-7
K-3PO (though better protocol droid sculpts now exist)
Lando Bespin escape (still my favourite)
Leia Bespin escape (great pose, great likeness)
Bespin guard (glad they've made new ones but again, keeping this one too)
Bacta tank Luke

ROTJ

Teebo
Tessek
Amanaman
Slave Leia w/sailbarge cannon

Reaction score

I really like the Bespin Guard. Decent articulation, removable hat, working holster, places to attach handcuffs and the baton.

Reaction score

jds1911a1 said:
VintijDroidGutzz said:
CyberScout said:
The 300th Boba Fett..
Of course! How could I forget him..

Great figure.
because he has been reissued several times since and redeco'd into Jodo
What? How did that clear up anything in relation to my comment - you've lost me.
Btw, the 300th Fett was never used for Jodo Kast. The TLC Jodo was in fact the $hitty TSC Carkoon Boba from 2006.

Reaction score

Ben Kenobi
Security Battle Droid
Amidala
R2-Q5
Shmi Skywalker

Reaction score

Let's see, top 5 in no particular order.

An outstanding sculpt with great articulation. In my opinion, no Battle Droid since even compares.

It might be a chess-piece figure, but the sculpt is stellar.

At the time, I never thought Hasbro would have ever attempted this figure. It combines three characteristics into one figure - semi-transparency, removable head, & removable mask to reveal Luke Skywalker!

Again, just a really good sculpt. The detail on the cloak still blows me away!

I don't know, I just really like Amanaman.

Reaction score

Gawd, I so agree on those all. The Battle Droid especially, everyone since has been flimsy and sucked. Hasbro should have taken this mold and the boomer damage one and done every repaint imaginable on them and I would have purchased multiples of every one. Their loss I guess.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
Gawd, I so agree on those all. The Battle Droid especially, everyone since has been flimsy and sucked. Hasbro should have taken this mold and the boomer damage one and done every repaint imaginable on them and I would have purchased multiples of every one. Their loss I guess.
Great minds must think alike. I said the same thing when Boomer Droid hit.

Dom

Reaction score

There were some great figures in this line. Bo Shek, Tessek, FX7 and the other people have mentioned are brilliant. I could go for an update of Porkins though.

Reaction score

FX-7-- the best droid Hasbro ever did!
Amanaman-- For the skeletons
Boshek--For the cool helmet
Lando Bespin escape--The best Lando to date
Bacta tank Luke-- The best deluxe besides Leia with cannon.
Dagobah spirit Vader

Reaction score

VintijDroidGutzz said:
Totally agree with FX-7! Tessek is nicely done too but I'm not a fan of static plastic robes, so I'm hoping for a re-do with him at some point.
I'm not a fan of sculpted robes either, so in my opinion I still think that the vintage Squid Head is far superior. I just hope they make a new version of this figure sometime with cloth robes instead.

I was'nt a huge fan of this line but there are some truly great figures that are far superior to the vintage and POTF2 versions. These figures would be my real favourites:

FX-7
Amanaman
Luke Skywalker in Echo Base Bacta tank
Princess Leia with sail barge cannon
Phantom Menace Anakin Skywalker
Boss Nass (I'd love to see this figure get soft goods sometime)
Chewbacca (Dejarik Champion)
Jek Porkins
Rebel Trooper (we seriously need sa versions of these guys)
Leia (Bespin Escape) again a new version with sa would be awesome
Snaggletooth

Reaction score

Darth_Wolven said:
VintijDroidGutzz said:
Totally agree with FX-7! Tessek is nicely done too but I'm not a fan of static plastic robes, so I'm hoping for a re-do with him at some point.
I'm not a fan of sculpted robes either, so in my opinion I still think that the vintage Squid Head is far superior. I just hope they make a new version of this figure sometime with cloth robes instead.
A new Tessek would be really sweet. That'd be a dream figure for me, if done right.

Reaction score

My favorite was Bespin Han. Overall, this is one my favorite sub-lines in the modern era. Beats the pants off the 30th anniversary line...

Reaction score

Obi_Han said:
My favorite was Bespin Han. Overall, this is one my favorite sub-lines in the modern era. Beats the pants off the 30th anniversary line...
Thats true, but I would love if his legs were less pre-posed and I seem to have difficulty fitting him in the new Falcon beside VOTC Chewie.
I just can't wait for Hasbro to update this figure, if they don't do him 2010 I will be very dissapointed with them.

Reaction score

POTJ was better than the TAC? Umm no way in hell.

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
nightdriver said:
battle droid (boomer damage)
battle droid (security)

those two battle droids beat the pants off anything released since.
QFT! I wish Hasbro would realize this.
Completely agree. I like these Battledroids, the best mold by far. I'm glad Hasbro are now going back to such an articulated mold, hopefully, we'll see them with swivel wrists at some point too, especially on the SBD's.

I have the Astromechs from this line also. Love my little 'Mechs!

Reaction score

Yeah, I have to agree that Death Star Han and Bespin escape Lando are both outstanding.

I've replaced both of these guys with their modern counterparts, but realized that the POTJ versions are so much better despite their limited articulation.

300 Boba Fett is great just because a) he can hold his blaster rifle and b) has the Empire style blaster that's never been reissued.

Reaction score

Since I'm a fan of the OT, cantina aliens, Jabba's palace and droids, here's my top ten in order of release:-

1.) Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi (Jedi Knight)
2.) Jek Porkins (X-Wing Pilot)
3.) K-3PO (Echo Base Protocol Droid)
4.) Mon Calamari (Officer)
5.) Tessek
6.) Ellorrs Madak (Fan's Choice FIgure No. 1)
7.) Ketwol
8.) FX-7 (Medical Droid)
9.) Zutton (Snaggletooth)
10.) BoShek

Reaction score

POTJ is still one of my favorite lines. Here are my top 5 favs:

Still the supreme Han!

Meesa love Gungans!

Has not been improved upon.

More Ewoks, please.

I love this figure because it reminds me of the awe I experienced when I first saw the teaser trailer for The Phantom Menace.

Reaction score

My favorites were as follows

Queen Amidala in the red gown - I just like this release of Amidala.

Emperors Wrath Vader - I really like this one due to the transparent helmet, outline of the skull, and it's just a great display figure. Obvously not for articulation, but just great

Dagobah Vader - like said before, 3 awesome characteristics in 1 figure. Simply awesome.

Reaction score

Apart from the articulation, THIS SCULPT and PAINTWORK has NOT been improved upon!!!

Just look at it, you could just stare at it all day.. fan fargingtastic!! If you have the pleasure of owning this figure, just take it out and give it a good detailed look, from gauntlets, to the kidney plates and look at the paint work on the body armour - look at those yellow scratches.. even the subtlety of the dirt on the pants. The rifle is better and sturdier quality though not painted. The rocket is correct and when looking at the Jetpack, it feels like he's wearing one - it's much wider than the VOTC style. Please use this time to drool

Compare that, my custom is just downright embarrassing (I'm sorry to include it and not that's all that great seriously speaking)
Comparing the 300th to today's cr*p, you can see why I went crazy trying to dabble in the black arts of customising....bah, wahh
"doctor, someone get a doctor!!!"

Reaction score

POTJ was a very good, underrated line that produced some very cool figures. There were several nice Cantina aliens/Jabba's palace goons in this line - in many cases, these have not been produced in any other SW line.

My favorites include:

- Amanaman: Superb figure, with a great accessory, and far superior to the original POTF version from '85.

- Ellors Madak - great cantina character, and I liked the effect of the silver outfit - very cool.

- FX-7

- Cloud City/Bespin Security guard: great figure, the first one in the modern line, and a good update/nod to the vintage version.

- Tessek: Incredible sculpt, and a nice update to one of my favorite vintage figures.

- Red Snaggletooth: Great update to the vintage version as well.

- Bo Shek - though a somewhat bland human character, I liked all of the cantina denizens and this is a great addition to these characters.

- Sandtrooper - great figure, and a good update to the POTF2 version.

Reaction score

Cold weather gear Obi will always be my favorite!

Reaction score

ESBbobafett, I think your Boba custom is fantastic. And seeing that nice pic of the 300th Boba makes me want to order a second to open, since back when I got it for my birthday in 2001 I never opened it. Travesty, I know....

Reaction score

trevagg said:
ESBbobafett, I think your Boba custom is fantastic. And seeing that nice pic of the 300th Boba makes me want to order a second to open
Get a loose one, That figure was way ahead of it's time. Instant classic!

Reaction score

I really like this Sandtrooper, but I still prefer the ones with more articulation. Even just ankle joints would've helped, it's hard to stand these guys up.

Reaction score

That is nice, my favorite is the Security Battle Droid

Reaction score

I like the sandtrooper for the binoculars. emperor's wrath vader is pretty cool too.

Reaction score

I thought this line was pretty uninspiring, but I think that the Boss Nass was the best of the lot. With articulation out of the way, the sculpt is fantastic! The worst has to be the Fode and Beed. Everything from paint to sculpt to articulation is terrible. I never even considered buying it.

Reaction score

MisterNLD said:
I thought this line was pretty uninspiring, but I think that the Boss Nass was the best of the lot. With articulation out of the way, the sculpt is fantastic! The worst has to be the Fode and Beed. Everything from paint to sculpt to articulation is terrible. I never even considered buying it.
I actually agree for the most part, this was the line that broke me of being a completist. I just couldn't justify spending a single penny on a crap character design like Fode and Beed. I'm sure Hasbro did a great job of capturing the alien in plastic, but it was just such a poorly conceived and executed design that I refuse to support it in any way.

Anyways, this was also when sculpting and detail for the figures jumped to a new high. There are still a few POTJ figures that you could put on a vintage style card and release them this year and they wouldn't seem out of place at all:

1. FX-7 - this guy still has to hold the record for most points of articulation of any Star Wars figure. Last time I counted, there were 39 points of articulation.
2. Amanaman - rubbery accessories notwithstanding, he still looks better than most of the newer figures released today.
3. Bacta Tank Luke - definitely counts as a deluxe figure, but he's still one of the highlights of the line.
4. 300th Boba Fett - still the best helmet sculpt for Boba Fett out there. Of course he's a statue, but that doesn't change how impressive he is overall.
5. Boss Nass - another statue that looks too amazing for me to care that it's a statue.
6. Security Battle Droid - still my favorite Battle Droid sculpt.

I would put Mechanic Chewie on my list, because he was the very first correctly scaled Chewie that we ever got, but he's been rereleased so much in the last few years that it really hurts my esteem of the figure.

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
MisterNLD said:
I would put Mechanic Chewie on my list, because he was the very first correctly scaled Chewie that we ever got, but he's been rereleased so much in the last few years that it really hurts my esteem of the figure.
Not to mention that he has little articulation, and Chewie definitely requires that...

Reaction score

I think the POTJ line is my absolute favorite. The figures were incredibly well sculpted and painted. There was a good variety of characters too.

My favorites are the Theed Invasion Amidala, Royal Decoy Amidala, Tessek, Amanaman, Jek Porkins, Bespin Han, Plo Koon, Mon Cal Officer, and 300th Fett.

Reaction score

I'd have to say the Coruscant Guard.

Then the smooth, Colt-45 man himself, Lando.

Then Jek Porkins. "I've got a problem here ... I can hold it ... No, I'm all—Aargh!"