Farmboy Luke one leg shorter than the other, lopsided, short shot

Reaction score
Farmboy Luke was one of my 1st figures and to be fair, I have not held many in my hands, but I am sure that you have. Mynock's recent thread reminded me of this strange medical condition that mine has - his left leg is shorter than the other. It appears to be that way in the mold, but I have never seen anyone talk about it.

My Luke's condition is so bad he can't even stand by himself.

He is a 1977 Taiwan #4

Last edited:
Reaction score
What you have there turbo is known as the rare gangsta lean farmboy Luke lol. No but all jokes aside not sure why its like that, could be a mistake in the molding process. But I have the same problem with my chewbacca figure, No Coo Tri-logo.

This figure I'm trying to find out more about cause the Coo matches the Ledy Coo on wolfs guide. So I could be sitting on my 1st Ledy fig with out even knowing it. Sorry for going kind of off topic lol

Reaction score
I think it's called a "short shot".

I have a Stormtrooper and a Leia like that.

Reaction score
It is indeed called a "short Shot". I am acutally a Degreed Plastics Engineer, and that is the correct term used. Its basically when the Injection molding machine has an insufficient amount of plastic material to inject into the mold. It could have been programmed that way by acident by the operator, or the machine simply was running out of material at that particular time. It is surprising that Kenner quality control did not catch it at the time, but nobody is perfect!

Reaction score
so how does it happen? Is part of the mold actually MISSING? Like is his foot missing depth at the bottom? Because when I do an image search for this, I see it a lot with Luke and it's always the same leg. Am I seeing what I want to see? Because it looks more to me like an issue with one of the molds. But I am a noob, so what do I know?

Reaction score
I think it's shrinkage due to a material difference because the leg otherwise looks like a complete fill. Typically short shots tend to have bubbling or sinks where you can tell that not enough material entered the cavity. Unless you're saying that the barrel pressure was high enough to fill the cavity and achieve the proper shape, but not enough to hold the size. If that were the case I'd expect there to be other dimensional differences, right? Or because the calf/foot fills last and it's the thin side of the part it's going to be the region that actually sees the change?

Reaction score
am I just nearsighted that I have not noticed this in other figures and this is not an isolated thing with Luke's or ANH figures?

Reaction score
I don't know much about other figures but with jawas i have noticed there are three sizes: big, medium and small.If the figure has a big model left leg and a small model left leg you get a figure like this luke with one leg shorter than the other.

Reaction score
I have a "short shot" Luke farmboy myself. He needs to be placed on a stand or he falls over (Kenner could have at least included an Emperor's cane for poor Luke). It is so strange that so many "lopsided ones" were missed by Kenner quality control.

Reaction score
It is not just Lukes, over on the ledy thread at TIG a shorter leg is actually a common trait in the Lili Ledy removable limb C3PO. I don't have one but I want to eventually as I am trying to get all the Lili Ledy line.

Reaction score
Yeah I have a Luke Jedi with the same problem. Not sure if the Farmboy I had in my thread has that problem. Will check tomorrow; interesting about the term short-shot.

Reaction score
I believe a short shot would have something actually missing from the resulting figure. For example, a missing tip of a foot or hand. With Original Luke, I've seen many examples exhibiting the same trait the original poster complained about where one leg is "shorter" than the other causing the figure to lean to one side. This was probably a flaw in at least one of the steel molds for the left leg as I don't think I've seen a shorter right leg. Maybe when one of the steel molds was cut for the left leg, the dimensions were slightly shrunk thereby causing slightly smaller (or shorter) left legs. This is my theory at least. It'd be interesting to measure to see if the rest of the left leg looks overall a bit smaller, not just shorter in length.

-Isaac

Reaction score
I don't know much about other figures but with jawas i have noticed there are three sizes: big, medium and small.If the figure has a big model left leg and a small model left leg you get a figure like this luke with one leg shorter than the other.
I agree with gerrit, i would say it has to do with different molds. I have been curious latelly to find info on COO variants for my Vader COO run, and i remember reading from various threads on various sites, that in the production process of figures, many parts ( arms, legs, heads, torso's) would be shipped to other factories around the world and then assembled and painted by these other factories. For example, Kenner US would send a shipment of the figure parts to spain, china, taiwan etc... these factories in these countries would then assemble and paint. The figures parts are generally made with different molds of the same figure. So try to imagine a big bag of just legs, arms, heads, etc.. from different molds being put together in a foriegn country. You will have a mix up of all sorts of arms from all sorts of molds for the same figure. It would be aesy to have a shorter leg from mold 1 added to the other leg from mold 2.
I am not sure this is what happened to your luke but i think it would make sense if it was.
I also have a Vader with one leg shorter than the other, so it seems to be common with other figures as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe a short shot would have something actually missing from the resulting figure. For example, a missing tip of a foot or hand. With Original Luke, I've seen many examples exhibiting the same trait the original poster complained about where one leg is "shorter" than the other causing the figure to lean to one side. This was probably a flaw in at least one of the steel molds for the left leg as I don't think I've seen a shorter right leg.
Totally agree with Isaac, do an image search on google or scroll through the listings on ebay - it's always the same leg - that's why I posted my COO, I wonder if there is any correlation.

Reaction score
I just picked up a Leia Boushh figure with what seems to be the same issue. You can get an idea of how far off it is by looking at the bottom of the foot reflected in the stand.

Reaction score
Seemed a common problem in the UK, as a kid I'd say 10% of my figures were crooked. The Stormtrooper and Chewie in particular were pretty impossible to stand up, but as a kid I just assumed that was the norm.

Reaction score
My EB DT Luke from my childhood has that problem, but he's level when his short foot is on a peg, at least.

Reaction score
Have quite a few that have that one leg up when on a peg stance. I always thought it was due to ageing and warping of the plastic. Now I am not convinced!! My Bossk is the worst

Reaction score
I have a 'short shot' boba fett but its just the coo stamp thats effected as it says HONG K

Reaction score
i remember reading & seeing pictures on a website about what some consider a luke jedi variation, where it was a short shot which effected the head, the head looked noticeably different. so its not just the limbs...

Reaction score
if only we could find figs who had "short shot" opposite legs and do some "swapping"

Reaction score
I just got a short leg Hong Kong farmboy Luke today. He can still stand (albeit crooked), so it’s all good.

Definitely differences in moulds, mould shrinkage factor, and probably chemical shrinkage. Especially if they were moulded in multiple locations with multiple machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have a few figures with one shorter leg. Klaatu and Luke-Wing come to mind. It’s quite common.

Reaction score
While not directly on topic, I imagine; this thread reminded me of an issue I'm facing with a couple of my figures; and I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same. Not short shots; but I have a few loose figures (Death Squad Commander and AT-AT Driver to name the worst ones). When I stand them on a flat surface, like a desk, countertop, etc.; they stand perfectly fine. But when I put them on a display base/star stand; one foot does not touch the base and sticks out a little bit to the side, making the figure look wonky and uneven. What's this syndrome called?

Reaction score
Its commonly known as a short pour. Ive had a few Lukes that had this issue. It's from not enough plastic being injected into the mold. Due to this when the plastic hardens it shrinks a bit more than the adjacent leg. Some people collect them.

Reaction score
There are multiple reasons why a limbs can appear to be a different size or look wonky when standing on a display stand, not all of them are "shortshots". I did some reading up on injection moulding and this is what i learned.

"Short shots" appear when an injection mould has not been properly filled. As a result parts appear incomplete.

When a moulded part appears smaller than the intended dimensions but complete with all details it is called "excessive shrinkage", this can happen when:
* the cure time is too short
* the pack pressure is too low
* the mould or stock temperature is too high
* there is insufficient injection pressure
* the runners or the gates are too small

When moulded pieces appear slightly larger or distorted it is called "warpage" this usually happens when the part gets ejected too hot.

And as mentioned before on some figures like Jawas there are small size differences between coo families that are hardly noticeable but stand out when the limbs get mixed.