FAQ

Reaction score
Shifts have changed slightly. They are now 5 hours each on Thursday and 4 hours each on the other days. This gives an hour between shifts to get 120 of you out of there and 120 in to work. It'll still be a challenge. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on the time adjustment, Anne! That will make it easier at turnover time! Thanks again for all of your hard work!

Reaction score
Anne, here's a question for you. Let's say I work Thursday btwn 11:30 to 4:30; and also 3:30 to 8:30. Would this count as 10 hours worked (5 for each shift) or is it just 9 hours (the 1130-8:30 is 9 hours) The two shifts overlap so I was just curious. Thank you.

Reaction score
Yeah, you don't get credit for overlapping shifts, you just get the one hour. :)

Reaction score
Anne, If we have back to back shifts, we should be able to take a small break in between right? Say about 15 minutes or so to freshen up a bit? 10 hours straight is tough without being able to stretch your legs a bit.

Reaction score
wvstarwarsfan said:
Anne, If we have back to back shifts, we should be able to take a small break in between right? Say about 15 minutes or so to freshen up a bit? 10 hours straight is tough without being able to stretch your legs a bit.
Not to mention get some food!

Reaction score
The_Chosen_1 said:
wvstarwarsfan said:
Not to mention get some food!
use the toilets

Reaction score
No breaks! No food! No Toilets! Only work! :)

Yes, all those will be available in the hall. I will have a pool of floaters to cover you for breaks.

Reaction score
whew!! for a few there.. I thought we weren't gonna be able to go to the bathroom ... LOL

Reaction score
I was just wanting some clarification on this:
<font color="red"> Q: Do we still have to wait in line to get in to the convention with a Volunteer Badge?

No. Your volunteer badge, in addition to your OPX name badge, will get you into the conventions center ahead of the line in order to work.
</font>

I saw in another post that people were asking if they were OPX volunteers, if they got to get in early everyday. I was under the impression that this is only for those that work that morning who are able to pass the line and get into the building...to work. Please let me know if this is right. I just don't want people thinking that since they have the volunteer badge that they can get in early everyday even when they don't work. Thanks, Anne.

Reaction score
One more question in regards to this:
<font color="red"> In addition, you will receive these benefits as administered by Gen Con:

Access to reserved seating at Star Wars Celebration IV events, subject to availability.

Access to VIP lines/entrances at the Star Wars Celebration IV events, exhibits, and the retail store, subject to availability.
</font>

Have you heard anything else on this? Like which shows, etc. we might be able to get into or is this a question I should ask GenCon about? Sorry about all the questions but I'm just getting excited about volunteering and all the perks we might have, hopefully!
Thanks, again!

Reaction score
At CIII there was a separate volunteer entrance to go in from the rest of the lineup.

Most of the shows and talks allow volunteers to be in a separate line that is shorter. Some do not. SW in 30min, for example, would not let us. But that was the only one that we tried that we could not do it.
It is a real bonus of working the convention. Many people that did not volunteer a CIII had a hard time getting into everything that they wanted to see in the 4 days. There wasn't anything that my husband and I missed out on, however, due to being volunteers.

The reserved seating. Not everthing does this. But at some talks, etc, they have a limited number of seats reserved just for volunteers. This was nice at the costume contest where a lot of people were in the hall. It would have been difficult to see the costumes (rather than the TVs showing the costumes farther back) if we came in on regular badges.

Reaction score
JediFrances said:
I was just wanting some clarification on this:
Please let me know if this is right. I just don't want people thinking that since they have the volunteer badge that they can get in early everyday even when they don't work.
Actually, yes you can.

Karma wise, don't abuse the privilege. It's not a magic 'get everything first' bonus, but it can be nice.

Reaction score
So even if you aren't working that day, because you volunteer, you can still get in before those huge lines? Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Isn't it almost easier to take the break during the shift and not in the overlap time hand-over time???

I just know that the "training" of your replacement or waiting for your replacement is not the best time to make a bathroom run.

Not to get people all geared towards breaks but I would think that it would be best when you are sure the floaters are available.

Just a thought, though I really don't recall taking many breaks last time.

No worries Anne, I have no delusions of breaktimes, thank God I've got a bladder of steel.

Reaction score
The procedure for breaks is: 1. get the attention of your floor manager 2. He/She gets a floater for you 3. you go and come back. If you can wait, then wait. If you can't (you know that sometimes happens!) the don't! There is a set of bathrooms in the auto hall. Don't worry too much about these details, I'll be sending all these things in a packet with your schedule.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After waiting in line for the store for 9.5 hours at Celebration III with no bathroom break, no food and no water during that entire time, I think I'll be fine for four hours.

Reaction score
JGordon24 said:
After waiting in line for the store for 9.5 hours at Celebration III with no bathroom break, no food and no water during that entire time, I think I'll be fine for four hours.
Exactly!

Reaction score
jedimelis said:
I have no delusions of breaktimes, thank God I've got a bladder of steel.
ROFL-that's great!! My husband always calls my no-need-to-stop-while-I'm-driving "camel mode".

Reaction score
<<After waiting in line for the store for 9.5 hours at Celebration III with no bathroom break, no food and no water during that entire time, I think I'll be fine for four hours.>>

That is the truth (I also waited out that horrible nine plus hours)! I wished then that OPX could have been in charge of that store at CIII!! I already have a reservation at the store on Thursday for CIV (that is why I am not volunteering that day!).

Reaction score
I'm accustomed to working long hours without taking a break so I'm not worried at all about bathroom breaks. I'm also a non-smoker so I won't have a need to go get some "fresh air."

I'm just a little worried about people not showing up for their shifts. It will make it hard for everybody because someone's going to have to stay, or get called-in for an extra shift.

Former volunteers...how often did people pull a NO CALL NO SHOW?

Reaction score
Miarama said:
I'm accustomed to working long hours without taking a break so I'm not worried at all about bathroom breaks. I'm also a non-smoker so I won't have a need to go get some "fresh air."

I'm just a little worried about people not showing up for their shifts. It will make it hard for everybody because someone's going to have to stay, or get called-in for an extra shift.

I actually remember going to C3 and getting autographs and a few of the guests were alone. One in particular told me that he didn't know where his helper went and wasn't sure about taking the coupons from me! I hope that people who volunteer understand that this is serious business and not to be taken lightly. You can be sure that I'll show up on time for all of my shifts. I'm not gonna shaft OPX or the fans or guests at C4.

Reaction score
If those GenCon turkeys would post the schedule already..
(at least what they've got so far) then we could look and see what's going on and maybe take on more shifts..I don't want to miss the stuff i really want to see and I don't want the autograph hall to be short-staffed either

Reaction score
Miarama said:
That's what the floater positions are for. One of my friends was a floater for two shifts at CIII and both times got to sit with a celebrity guest because someone was a no-show.

Reaction score
I feel the same way about being there for my shifts. You all my commitment that I will be there for my shifts and if everyone is as eager as most of the people in these forums then it should not be a problem. If we all treat each other with respect then this should hopefully go smoothly.

Reaction score
Jentau said:
If those GenCon turkeys would post the schedule already..
(at least what they've got so far) then we could look and see what's going on and maybe take on more shifts..I don't want to miss the stuff i really want to see and I don't want the autograph hall to be short-staffed either
I agree. I'd be willing to work another shift or two but I just wish GenCon would let us know the schedule so that I don't miss the one important event that I really want to see! But Anne, I'd help out more if you need it.

Reaction score
This is off the subject but Anne do you know or can you say who the "One Hopeful" was not able to free up their schedule to be a signing GOH?

Reaction score
Geo_Nauj said:
This is off the subject but Anne do you know or can you say who the "One Hopeful" was not able to free up their schedule to be a signing GOH?
I know on another post Ben Stevens said that Ian McDiarmid(sp?) couldn't make it but was a GOH.

Reaction score
Hey Anne, could you P-P-P-P-LEASE tell us who the 2 remaining potential GOH's are or could be (at least a clue, pretty please???)?

I think Ben's holding out on us, and the suspense is starting to kill me... the Dark Side I sense in him...

Reaction score
Anne - I'll put it here for those of us who are doing "First Shift" on Thursday - Do we just go to the front of the line and say "I'm a volunteer and need to get to the Autograph Hall"?

I was thinking about printing out my E-mailed schedule and having that as "Proof" as I won't arrive until Thursday AM (and don't worry - barring a ridiculous flight delay from Seattle, I'll be at the convention center well before my shift).

Reaction score
Good question. CAn we pick up our volunteer badges on Wednesday maybe? I'm gonna print mine out too though, just to be safe:) Don't we get a name badge too? I'll be in L.A. at 3pm on Wednesday...in case we need to pick up our stuff before our shifts....