Fan theory on Padme's actual cause of death

Reaction score
She died of a broken heart. George Lucas isn't the type of screenwriter to have a character say something out loud about their own experience, but have it really be some other thing that the audience has to strain to figure out through attenuated logic.

Anakin turned to the dark side to prevent Padme's death. Ironically, his turn to the dark side brought about the death. Had he not turned to the dark side, would his visions have come true? Probably not. It's supposed to be tragic, I guess. Him making true the prophecy he sought to stop. If Palpatine was the one that caused Padme's death, it defeats the purpose of that plot device.

Unfortunately, we're just going to have to accept that Padme died for the lack of will to live. We don't have to accept it as a good part of the movie.
Palpatine killing Padme to save Anakin doesn't take away the tragedy idea. Anakin still brought about Padme's death by giving in to the dark side of the Force. You could think that Anakin's turn, plus the Force-choke, made Padme susceptible to Palpatine's power of draining the life out of her. Losing the will to live doesn't explain her death, as we see that (as I wrote before) she had hope that there was still good in Anakin, not to mention that she just had two babies.

Reaction score
jedi's aren't supposed to fall in love. it can be dangerous.

this theory is trying to sell the idea that she dies from a force-connection to a jedi -- aka: love -- aka: she died of a broken heart.

not because because palpatine willfully sucked the life out of her and fed it to anakin -- but because her 'bond of love' inadvertently sucked the life out of her, and fed into anakin.

(like all one-sided marriages -- they suck the life right out of you -- *sigh* -- GL was not a fan of 'marriage' when he wrote this). :p

she died because she shared a bond of love with a "force user" who was, himself, dying -- she died from a (dangerous) heart-to-heart force-bond with anakin, which inadvertently transferred "force-power" out of her, and into him -- or -- from her own POV -- she died of a broken heart.

:p

(did palpatine know this would happen, if they fell in love? yes. did he control it? no.)
I believe Palpatine wanted Padme to die. He would have killed her himself anyway at some point, somehow. Palpatine didn't know that Vader was going to be in danger. After all, he did manage to kill everyone in the Jedi temple. It is unlikely that Palpatine believed that Obi-Wan was going to be able to injure Vader so badly.

Reaction score
This is totally true, I said to my brother the other day, there is not many films so over analysed as Star Wars, others directors make continuity errors or mistakes without much fuss being made but we as fans somehow feel we should have a say as to direction etc of the series, we feel wwe have ownership to some degree!

Reaction score
This is totally true, I said to my brother the other day, there is not many films so over analysed as Star Wars, others directors make continuity errors or mistakes without much fuss being made but we as fans somehow feel we should have a say as to direction etc of the series, we feel wwe have ownership to some degree!
That's because it's Star Wars! Yes, they are just movies; and yes, not everyone likes them, but Star Wars has definitely had a huge impact, not only in the USA, but in many other countries as well. I give you that we, the fans, probably over analyze the movies, but it's because we have high expectations for them, and we love the stories. The movies are made for us all, fans and non-fans. Even though we don't make the movies, I think the directors and writers must realize how big these movies are compared to so many, if not most, other ones.

Reaction score
I believe Palpatine wanted Padme to die. He would have killed her himself anyway at some point, somehow. Palpatine didn't know that Vader was going to be in danger. After all, he did manage to kill everyone in the Jedi temple. It is unlikely that Palpatine believed that Obi-Wan was going to be able to injure Vader so badly.
That is probably my biggest hurdle. How can someone so powerful, especially the "chosen" one. After doing so much killing throughout TCW, and wiping out the Jedi temple inhabitants. Be defeated by one average Jedi such as Obi-Wan?

Reaction score
Your problem is seeing Obi Wan as an average Jedi. AOTC, TCW and ROTS showed him to be more than average.

Plus, Anakin's arrogance was his downfall. He should not have made the leap.
I agree.

Do you think that Yoda wouldn't have been able to kill Anakin? Maybe it wouldn't have been easy, but I totally think Yoda could have taken the chosen one.

Obi-Wan trained Anakin, so he knew pretty well how Anakin fought, and he knew his strengths and weaknesses. You can see how they mirror each other in their ROTS duel.

Even though Anakin was the chosen one, he still didn't have the power and experience needed to beat Obi-Wan, Yoda, or Sidious. Plus, he was arrogant and impatient.

Sidious was extremely powerful, probably the most powerful Sith in thousands of years. Yet, he was concerned that Luke could destroy him. Not only that, but Sidious's was overconfident and arrogant, and that's why he died. So, overconfidence and arrogance can be a Jedi's or Sith's downfall. "Too sure of themselves they are, even the older, more experienced ones."

Last edited:
Reaction score
inTCW father/son/Mortis story, anakin used the last bit of 'life force' from the Daughter to save Ahsoka. so the idea of transfering the life/force energy out of one person to save another is, technically, canon. I guess. but padme isn't a jedi and so is not connected to the force like that. again, it would have to be a transfer of energy via the spiritual connection between anakin and padme (aka: love). so again, she died of a broken heart. the rest can be seen as metaphor.

at first I dismissed this theory out of hand but as it turns out it has actually given me somethng to think about. so kudos for that.. thats always a good thing.. but I'm still not convinced. :p cheers
I don't know. Even though Padme wasn't a Jedi, she probably had a strong connection to the Force (as Yoda tells her that the Force is strong with her in the Ep. 2 novelization). Plus the Force resides in all living things and is created by all living things.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. In the book Aftermath (which is cannon), Tashu, an adviser of Palpatine, says: "Did you know that Sith Lords could sometimes drain the Force energy from their captives? Siphoning life from them and using it to strengthen their connection to the dark side? Extending their own lives, as well, so that they could live for centuries beyond their intended expiration?"

So, just like the example you mentioned from Clone Wars cartoon, it is entirely possible that Palpatine took advantage of Padme's weakened state, having been attacked by Anakin and given birth to twins, to drain her life force, and possibly use it to help Anakin survive. Anakin wasn't dead yet. Ahsoka, on the other hand, actually died on Mortis. (Wookieepedia: "Tano had a brief brush with the dark side on Mortis after being infected with it by the Son and even died, but she was resurrected by the Daughter.")

It may have appeared to the droids like Padme had "lost the will to live", but the droid had just said: "For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her." So, "we don't know why, she has lost the will to live" is, to me, the droid's interpretation of the situation. He might as well have said: "She has lost the will to live, from a certain point of view." :D

This may also explain how Palpatine knew that Padme was dead, when Anakin wasn't sure. Palpatine might have just sensed her death, but Anakin's connection to Padme was much greater, so he would have noticed before the emperor did; just like when Vader sensed his son on Endor while Palpatine couldn't.

Reaction score
I agree they should aim for us to enjoy the films but we should have no say in artistic direction I dont think, and perhaps the expectations we have put somewhat unreasonable pressures on the filmmakers, I reckon they probably do know how big these movies are and are likely more worried about a fan backlash they they would be willing to let on lol. I think on the whole they try and respect the lore of the universe etc but are most interestd in making as much money as possible :)

Reaction score
I don't know. Even though Padme wasn't a Jedi, she probably had a strong connection to the Force (as Yoda tells her that the Force is strong with her in the Ep. 2 novelization). Plus the Force resides in all living things and is created by all living things.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. In the book Aftermath (which is cannon), Tashu, an adviser of Palpatine, says: "Did you know that Sith Lords could sometimes drain the Force energy from their captives? Siphoning life from them and using it to strengthen their connection to the dark side? Extending their own lives, as well, so that they could live for centuries beyond their intended expiration?"

So, just like the example you mentioned from Clone Wars cartoon, it is entirely possible that Palpatine took advantage of Padme's weakened state, having been attacked by Anakin and given birth to twins, to drain her life force, and possibly use it to help Anakin survive. Anakin wasn't dead yet. Ahsoka, on the other hand, actually died on Mortis. (Wookieepedia: "Tano had a brief brush with the dark side on Mortis after being infected with it by the Son and even died, but she was resurrected by the Daughter.")

It may have appeared to the droids like Padme had "lost the will to live", but the droid had just said: "For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her." So, "we don't know why, she has lost the will to live" is, to me, the droid's interpretation of the situation. He might as well have said: "She has lost the will to live, from a certain point of view." :D

This may also explain how Palpatine knew that Padme was dead, when Anakin wasn't sure. Palpatine might have just sensed her death, but Anakin's connection to Padme was much greater, so he would have noticed before the emperor did; just like when Vader sensed his son on Endor while Palpatine couldn't.
Aftermath is canon, but that doesn't mean that what Tashu said was true. Could've been more BS like what Palpatine was selling Anakin at the opera.

Vader also wouldn't definitely have noticed that Padme was dead before Palpatine did; Vader had been undergoing all sorts of procedures, and may have been effectively cut off from sensing even Padme, particularly given she's across the galaxy...and Palpatine may not have known she was dead for sure, either, but figured her as good as dead (and if he discovered she was alive, he could quickly & quietly have her killed, perhaps).