Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
a lot of killah props in this thread. and man i love that Boushh helemt. a big congrats to all.

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my most recent helmet purchase. This is the Boushh helmet done by Clothears Costumes in the U. K. This is the most accurate Boush helmet today. Clothears is also accredited for their Boushh costume in the movie Paul.

Alison and Jude started from scratch, and every reference image available was scaled up to sculpt the helmet. It was an extremely time consuming process. The helmet is made from vacuum formed plastic just like the original. The vacuum formed parts are being produced by R S Propmasters, the makers of replica ANH Storm Trooper armor. The assembly is the same as the original helmet with most of the joins hidden beneath the overlaid detailing. The helmet is dressed with all the correct greeblies from found model parts. The ear greeblies are made from cast resin, the stalk/rangefinder is made from resin and aluminum, it has a machined aluminum metal tip, just like the original. Fitted into the helmet is the gray visor for vision and the green upper visor. Installed is a fitted lighting system supplied by Fettronics. The snout tusks are made from cast resin as are the strap locators. The helmet is painted and have all the detail stenciled in place. The snout, back strap and back of the helmet are covered with weathered horse hide. The strap and back of the helmet have the detail stitching and there is also the option to have the helmet lined out for comfort or just left like the original helmet used in ROTJ, not lined in any way and just having the yellow foam insert, which is what I chose ...

Where did that Mini Jabba's Palace come from? Obviously the helmet is gorgeous, but I love that as well

Reaction score
SDS = Shepperton Design Studios (Andrew Ainsworth - the guy who pulled the helmets back in 1976) - a lot of controversy here, but the helmets themselves are cool, and a bit more sturdier then the regular unlicensed lids.

In terms of ANH Stormtrooper helmet:

Although controversial , IMO I truly believe the SDS is the most 'original' among all prop makers
as he was the first (ground zero) who fabricated it & still using the same vac formed techniques till this day.

Other licensees still based their ST helmet from a movie original prop & replicate from there...

A lot might disagree on this, but it is just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In terms of ANH Stormtrooper helmet:

Although controversial , IMO I truly believe the SDS is the most 'original' among all prop makers
as he was the first (ground zero) who fabricated it & still using the same vac formed techniques till this day.

Other licensees still based their ST helmet from a movie original prop & replicate from there...

A lot might disagree on this, but it is just my honest opinion.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on these forums. Do yourself a favor and read this thread:

Original ANH Stormtrooper helmet and Armor - Just the Facts

If you want to buy or own an inferior product from a lying scum then go right ahead.

Reaction score
One of my 3 exceptions to the Original Trilogy Imperials only rule of collecting, together with the Gentle Giant Leia statue and Kotobukiya Droids statue:

Original Graflex Flashgun
Genuine Exactra 20 bubbles
Roy t-tracks & D-ring assembly
Custom stand & metal plaque

Reaction score
Really cool stuff in here, however i need some help finding someone to do some commission work for me. I am after some 1.1 scale clone commander helmets for display so would need them built and painted and would love if someone could point me in the right direction. I have been collecting star wars merch for around 20 years but only now am starting to get into props etc so need a little help to get started. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whoah, Whoah, Whoah. This is traitorous stuff. A diversion from the OT Imperial Build. DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!
Nah, good stuff Sergiu. Nice.

Reaction score
Anyone ever deal with Blas-Tech? They seem to have very reasonably priced DL-44's

Blast-Tech - Products - Completed Display Pieces
John S. is a great guy and has been in the SW prop scene since the late 1990's. It used to be called " yodashouse.com " back then.

Email him and make sure that he's still offering these. Word is he's been getting out of the business and his inventory isn't what it used to be.

Reaction score
Genuine Graflex reveal. Yes, of course it also has light and sound. :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
John S. is a great guy and has been in the SW prop scene since the late 1990's. It used to be called " yodashouse.com " back then.

Email him and make sure that he's still offering these. Word is he's been getting out of the business and his inventory isn't what it used to be.

Thanks for the input! :D

Reaction score
Regarding Vader Fan Made contributions, I have to say the Quasimodo V2 ANH and ESB by CSMacLaren and Bookface are fantastic Vader offerings! I am lucky enough that I live down the road from bookfaces studio and have visited his workshop a couple of times now and all I can say is wow! I took my EFX along the other week and we did a side by side comparison with his Quasi V2 and my EFX. The differences were staggering as the EFX looked like a display piece, where as the Quasi looked like it had stepped off the screen. This coupled with his Chest Armour made the display simply mind blowing. I will be getting my Quasi soon, but couldn't decide on a ANH or ESB (it really was that hard to decide). Pictures will follow B)

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you already have a eFX Vader why bother getting another ANH helmet, might as well get the ESB, which was always much cooler looking anyway imo.

Anovos have suggested making the DS Gunner at some point, which I'd definitely be interested in too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you already have a eFX Vader why bother getting another ANH helmet, might as well get the ESB, which was always much cooler looking anyway imo.

Anovos have suggested making the DS Gunner at some point, which I'd definitely be interested in too.
Because I'm selling my EFX. After seeing the Quasimodo in the flesh, the attention to detail and sheer movie accuracy of the Quasimodo compared to the EFX is miles apart. The EFX is still a beautiful piece don't get me wrong, but I'm constantly looking for the ultimate Vader helmet to which I think I've found it...something I'm sure you would agree with being a Quasimodo owner ;)

Reaction score
It's insane how close LW got without any physical reference, I assume it was all from photos anyway. If I had snagged a LW I would've been happy with it and saved myself alot of stress :D

Reaction score
Just got my Kylo Ren from Master Props in Canada but with an Adil V2 on the way, I'm likely going to sell this one.

Reaction score
Does anyone own a RS Prop Master tie pilot bucket? Thoughts? How long did it take to get? Having a difficult time finding reviews on this piece....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adam Savage (Mythbusters) talks about RPF, about props and prop recasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKPJzuVsE1M
I first saw this a few years ago. I think that, by and large, in the recasting discussion, the 'I want an Ironman helmet' argument wins out more often than not. This is particularly evident in the generally accepted view that it's okay to recast the product of a licensed company once the license has expired. I recall Steve D posting on that very subject on the RPF a few years ago and he was pretty explicit in his views on people recasting old MR products; after all in that case he can be viewed as the person that put hard work and money into the products and therefore I can't see any reason that his view on objecting should be any less valid than an unlicensed maker who actually has less of a reason to feel aggrieved; however the morality is brushed aside because you know what; 'I want an Ironman helmet', or in that case a Boba Fett one. I think in these cases that if enough people want something that we, as a community, will find a way of justifying it to ourselves. I saw all the groundwork being laid for a bit of unauthorised recasting a few years ago and the community offered up several reasons why it was okay even though it clearly wasn't because 'I want an Ironman helmet'. Thankfully in that case the only person who was in a position to act on the wishes of the group (the potential recaster) made the sensible choice and did not recast the item. It could have become very unpleasant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I first saw this a few years ago. I think that, by and large, in the recasting discussion, the 'I want an Ironman helmet' argument wins out more often than not. This is particularly evident in the generally accepted view that it's okay to recast the product of a licensed company once the license has expired. I recall Steve D posting on that very subject on the RPF a few years ago and he was pretty explicit in his views on people recasting old MR products; after all in that case he can be viewed as the person that put hard work and money into the products and therefore I can't see any reason that his view on objecting should be any less valid than an unlicensed maker who actually has less of a reason to feel aggrieved; however the morality is brushed aside because you know what; 'I want an Ironman helmet', or in that case a Boba Fett one. I think in these cases that if enough people want something that we, as a community, will find a way of justifying it to ourselves. I saw all the groundwork being laid for a bit of unauthorised recasting a few years ago and the community offered up several reasons why it was okay even though it clearly wasn't because 'I want an Ironman helmet'. Thankfully in that case the only person who was in a position to act on the wishes of the group (the potential recaster) made the sensible choice and did not recast the item. It could have become very unpleasant.
I had a few arguments with a forum member exactly about recasts, he was into a particular Stormtrooper helmet from ebay, it was clearly a recast of a known maker, and he even presented it to another member as being a nice lid. When told him about that he got angry and his conclusion was exactly like the 'I want an Ironman helmet'

Reaction score
Just got my first helmet from RS Prop Masters and I'm really impressed with this company! Communication was great...I had a bunch of questions which got answered quickly. They told me wait time was a month and that's exactly how long it was. I got a tracking number from them without having to ask and the helmet arrived in excellent condition. Well, OK, honestly there are a few very minor scuffs here and there but I think that's to be expected with fan made helmets. I love how this company lets you choose certain details i.e. ANH vs. ESB, ABS vs. PVC, bumpy cap vs. smooth, low medium or high brow, etc. I went with ANH, ABS, smooth cap (I know, less accurate, but I just couldn't deal with those warts on top, lol), low brow (to look mean :) ). Now I need to pick up a stand, get a plaque made, and get one of those frown screens so you don't see through between the teeth.

Reaction score
Nice pickup! I love my RS ANH! Mines the bumpy cap cause I love all the warts. The smooth does look nice though. Congrats on a great piece.

Just got my first helmet from RS Prop Masters and I'm really impressed with this company! Communication was great...I had a bunch of questions which got answered quickly. They told me wait time was a month and that's exactly how long it was. I got a tracking number from them without having to ask and the helmet arrived in excellent condition. Well, OK, honestly there are a few very minor scuffs here and there but I think that's to be expected with fan made helmets. I love how this company lets you choose certain details i.e. ANH vs. ESB, ABS vs. PVC, bumpy cap vs. smooth, low medium or high brow, etc. I went with ANH, ABS, smooth cap (I know, less accurate, but I just couldn't deal with those warts on top, lol), low brow (to look mean :) ). Now I need to pick up a stand, get a plaque made, and get one of those frown screens so you don't see through between the teeth.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Congrats on a great helmet. You should order a RS stand, it is quite similar to MR one. They also have Jim Dowdal signature plaque

Nice pickup! I love my RS ANH! Mines the bumpy cap cause I love all the warts. The smooth does look nice though. Congrats on a great piece.
Same here, bumpy caps for all my RS lids

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

So did you add frown screen to your helmets? I assume you install it by putting a dab of glue to the back of each tooth?

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

So did you add frown screen to your helmets? I assume you install it by putting a dab of glue to the back of each tooth?
No frown screen mesh on my TK helmets. I used to have on the SDS life-size Stormie hero lid, but not on the RS Prop Masters armor. The only other Stormie helmet of mine which has it (except MR CE and EFX LE of course) is the TE2, which was intended for trooping. You can use glue, or like I did, a bit of double sided tape, like the one used for MR plaques.

Last edited: