Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
Have you heard anything back from MonCal yet? I bought his Snowtrooper helmet 3 months ago, and it was about a 10 week wait, not that bad. I ordered it along with some armour pieces though, so maybe if you order just the helmet it's faster.
Haven't assembled it yet, too much going on, but it's a nice bucket..
I have the Moncal and is great! The Snow Commander I got from DL, simply fantastic.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could snag a mint Royal Guard helmet from? I see some on eBay, Don Post, Fan Made, etc...any of them worth the cost?
The Don Post RG lids are a tad too small IIRC. You might also want to repaint them and add a better visor. There are a few others online which are quite cool.

Reaction score
Have you heard anything back from MonCal yet? I bought his Snowtrooper helmet 3 months ago, and it was about a 10 week wait, not that bad. I ordered it along with some armour pieces though, so maybe if you order just the helmet it's faster.
Haven't assembled it yet, too much going on, but it's a nice bucket..
I got a email saying his wife was going to contact me and give me more info but that hasnt happened, you'd think if someone wants to give you money you'd be quicker with the emails and info.......not sure what all these helmet guys are thinking, none of the good ones seem interested in selling anything.

On the lighter side tho, I have found my Biker scout helmet, I just need to order it, the guys over at the Bikerscout.net seem to really like it....

Reaction score
I bought a Royal Guard helmet at a local toy show and it looked great but doesn't really fit my head good. I'm 6'3" and would like to start putting together rest of outfit. A buddy of mine got it to fit his head but had to twist it on. It's a tight fit but looks like right size. Any ideas on making it fit? I thought about cutting it in half and adding some width but not sure and never done that before. Any helping ideas?

Reaction score
Reaction score
I bought a Royal Guard helmet at a local toy show and it looked great but doesn't really fit my head good. I'm 6'3" and would like to start putting together rest of outfit. A buddy of mine got it to fit his head but had to twist it on. It's a tight fit but looks like right size. Any ideas on making it fit? I thought about cutting it in half and adding some width but not sure and never done that before. Any helping ideas?
Nope, you just need to accept you have a big head, and therefore can't wear SW helmets!

Just kidding, i feel your pain...i'm also 6'3, with a big noggin, and i can't wear anything except for the TIE, since that one is huge. I can also wear some Stormies but have to twist them on carefully.
I have a custom Fett, made for a big guy, with extra flare, but even that one just sits on my head like a tophat.

So don't cut up the ERG, you'll wreck it. Just choose a costume you can pull off...there weren't a lot of big guys in the suits..

Reaction score
BTW Mark I remember you said in post #135 that you intend to work on some custom blasters. Any news? :)
Not really, Sergiu. Currently i have a Relby Micro-Grenade Launcher (Bossk Blaster) i need to finish, but that won't be anytime soon. Didn't build it myself though, i bought the base (not a real Schermuly, but a nice and heavy metal custom), so i have to add the stock, scopes and muzzle part, and paint it etc.

Never got the MG 34, it was out of stock, so no DLT-19 yet...maybe later this year.
I did get Boba's ESB BlasTech EE-3 made by Sidewinder at The Dented Helmet, lovely piece!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really cool Mark!! I like the details on this blaster. Is it resin or does it have wooden and metal parts? Seems it is more than resin.

I know about the DLT-19 from doopys, I was watching them, hopefully one day will get one, since a real deact. MG-34 won't happen due to restrictive local laws regarding big guns.

Reaction score
Really cool Mark!! I like the details on this blaster. Is it resin or does it have wooden and metal parts? Seems it is more than resin.

I know about the DLT-19 from doopys, I was watching them, hopefully one day will get one, since a real deact. MG-34 won't happen due to restrictive local laws regarding big guns.
It's a combination of resin and metal.
The stock looks like wood, but it's resin. You really can't tell unless you're touching it...Sidewinder did such an amazing paint job, woodgrain and all.

I know man, we have the same restrictions...if i want a deactivated one i'm going to have to pick it up myself in Germany and hope they don't stop me at the border, lol.

Reaction score
Looks great, these prop makers are very talented!

Here would be easier to get a Webley flare gun for example, as it is not a real weapon, and thus no need for too many papers regarding these.

Reaction score
My recently acquired ROTJ CFO Stormtrooper

Here's finally a little showoff of my beautiful CfO ROTJ superaccurate Stormtrooper.B):awesome:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just put a deposit on the MonCal Snowtrooper, AT-AT driver and Biker Scout helmets. Now trying to decide which one I want to buy full armor for.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just put a deposit on the MonCal Snowtrooper, AT-AT driver and Biker Scout helmets. Now trying to decide which one I want to buy full armor for.
all nice helmets, I also have the MonCal (MLC v3) Biker Scout helmet on the way but I got mine straight from the maker (cheaper) rather then through MonCal and from being on the biker scout forum and the Blizzard Force (snowtrooper) forum, I think you'll get more help with a build on BSN.......

Reaction score
Awesome Cody lid, :) I am not a big prequel collector but I would happily own a Cody helmet it is a cool design. Who is the maker of the helmet?

Reaction score
Now my dilemma...do I have them paint the AT-AT helmet/armor grey for movie accuracy or leave it white (which I think looks better and is less expensive)? :whistling:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Cody creator is a French Friends of mine not a Rebelscum. I meet him on the Mintinbox.net forum.

Reaction score

TE ESB sskunky painted Stormtrooper helmet, my latest Strormie collecion addition!B)

Regards,

Alberto

Reaction score
Very cool. So this is a TE lid painted by sskunky?
It certainly is Sergiu. It's the one pictured on my Rpf banner. It's one of his grey HDPE. It did suffer a but of the ghosting/cooling lines. I've tried forming HDPE and it's a nightmare. Considering these were done quite some years ago and heated in a kitchen oven and formed on a homemade Hoover vac former they aren't bad.
I think I painted this about 3 times! HDPE is also a nightmare to paint! Lol

Reaction score
It certainly is Sergiu. It's the one pictured on my Rpf banner. It's one of his grey HDPE. It did suffer a but of the ghosting/cooling lines. I've tried forming HDPE and it's a nightmare. Considering these were done quite some years ago and heated in a kitchen oven and formed on a homemade Hoover vac former they aren't bad.
I think I painted this about 3 times! HDPE is also a nightmare to paint! Lol
What should I add??:\

Aaaahh Yes it makes hell of an impression in my collection!!! :awesome:B)

Thanks Sergiu, and thank You Mark for Your excellent abilities!!

Regards,

Alberto

Reaction score
A couple of pics of my new MonCal snowtrooper helmet. I got lucky with the wait time on this one; only two weeks before I got it as someone had backed out of their order after it was made.

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my most recent helmet purchase. This is the Boushh helmet done by Clothears Costumes in the U. K. This is the most accurate Boush helmet today. Clothears is also accredited for their Boushh costume in the movie Paul.

Alison and Jude started from scratch, and every reference image available was scaled up to sculpt the helmet. It was an extremely time consuming process. The helmet is made from vacuum formed plastic just like the original. The vacuum formed parts are being produced by R S Propmasters, the makers of replica ANH Storm Trooper armor. The assembly is the same as the original helmet with most of the joins hidden beneath the overlaid detailing. The helmet is dressed with all the correct greeblies from found model parts. The ear greeblies are made from cast resin, the stalk/rangefinder is made from resin and aluminum, it has a machined aluminum metal tip, just like the original. Fitted into the helmet is the gray visor for vision and the green upper visor. Installed is a fitted lighting system supplied by Fettronics. The snout tusks are made from cast resin as are the strap locators. The helmet is painted and have all the detail stenciled in place. The snout, back strap and back of the helmet are covered with weathered horse hide. The strap and back of the helmet have the detail stitching and there is also the option to have the helmet lined out for comfort or just left like the original helmet used in ROTJ, not lined in any way and just having the yellow foam insert, which is what I chose ...

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my most recent helmet purchase. This is the Boushh helmet done by Clothears Costumes in the U. K. This is the most accurate Boush helmet today. Clothears is also accredited for their Boushh costume in the movie Paul.

Alison and Jude started from scratch, and every reference image available was scaled up to sculpt the helmet. It was an extremely time consuming process. The helmet is made from vacuum formed plastic just like the original. The vacuum formed parts are being produced by R S Propmasters, the makers of replica ANH Storm Trooper armor. The assembly is the same as the original helmet with most of the joins hidden beneath the overlaid detailing. The helmet is dressed with all the correct greeblies from found model parts. The ear greeblies are made from cast resin, the stalk/rangefinder is made from resin and aluminum, it has a machined aluminum metal tip, just like the original. Fitted into the helmet is the gray visor for vision and the green upper visor. Installed is a fitted lighting system supplied by Fettronics. The snout tusks are made from cast resin as are the strap locators. The helmet is painted and have all the detail stenciled in place. The snout, back strap and back of the helmet are covered with weathered horse hide. The strap and back of the helmet have the detail stitching and there is also the option to have the helmet lined out for comfort or just left like the original helmet used in ROTJ, not lined in any way and just having the yellow foam insert, which is what I chose ...

I was looking at making a Shock Trooper and was going to use their clone trooper body suit. Everything they do is mint and spec when it comes to authenticity. Great Boushh helmet and display.

Reaction score
Well it's about time you posted some pictures of this helmet Julian, how long ago is it now since I first saw it (feels like it's been months)??? lol ;) It's a great helmet & more than worthy of being shown off..., as usual though you've done it justice, great pics Julian..., makes me want one too (but then I wanted one when you showed me the first pics of it). :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it's about time you posted some pictures of this helmet Julian, how long ago is it now since I first saw it (feels like it's been months)??? lol ;) It's a great helmet & more than worthy of being shown off..., as usual though you've done it justice, great pics Julian..., makes me want one too (but then I wanted one when you showed me the first pics of it). :)
Thanks, Kevin. It has been months, indeed :)

When I saw Ben's pictures of his awesome Snowtrooper helmet, I was instantly reminded I had never shown pictures of this helmet nor my Godzilla Tusken Raider mask/helmet? ... not sure if I can post that one here.

Thanks guys for all your kind comments. I can tell anyone interested, I strongly recommend Clothears Costumes. Besides the quality of their product, Alison is a true lady. She keeps great communication and has things ready the way you want to and right on schedule.