Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
Awesome collection sergiu,
What kind of RS propmasters is that? The uber authentic khaki HDPE?
Looks like fett would be next on your list?

Reaction score
Where did you get the Snow trooper commander from?
It is a DL helmet: Imperial Armor dot Net - Home

Awesome collection sergiu,
What kind of RS propmasters is that? The uber authentic khaki HDPE?
Looks like fett would be next on your list?
Thank you. It is a First Edition RS helmet. The number #44 got lost in mail, so the guys at RS sent me their own as replacement and a new different plaque.

Reaction score
Cheers sergiu
RE: 1st edition RS props
What is the difference between 1st edition & the subsequent ?
What is the SA edition that you see in photos? Does Sa mean "screen accurate"?
I agree, RS props is the best.(or at the top of the tree at least)

I bought a khaki HDPE version done up in the chipper look. It looks a forgery of the current real things. Absolutely superb. Will post picks with my other lids in a few months when they are in a proper display home.

Again congrats an awesome collection & thanks for continuing to share photos & your knowledge.
Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers sergiu
RE: 1st edition RS props
What is the difference between 1st edition & the subsequent ?
What is the SA edition that you see in photos? Does Sa mean "screen accurate"?
I agree, RS props is the best.(or at the top of the tree at least)

I bought a khaki HDPE version done up in the chipper look. It looks a forgery of the current real things. Absolutely superb. Will post picks with my other lids in a few months when they are in a proper display home.

Again congrats an awesome collection & thanks for continuing to share photos & your knowledge.
Mike
No interest in fett? :)
Thanks. I wanted to get their first edition, since I'm not too fond of helmets weatered with paint chips, mimicking how the screen used helmets might look in present. I prefer mine to look like it was when screen used.

Not Fett for me. :) No Jedi, no Rebels, no aliens, no clones, no PT stuff, no barely known Jedi/Sith scantily clad female characters LOL. Original Trilogy Imperials and Troopers only (with minor exceptions)

Reaction score
Finally got my own RS TK lid. After years of seeing them from a distance. It really is a thing to behold. It blows away all others... Makes my GINO V2 look like a toy next to it. ;).... And the GINO is a very nice helmet.

Mike

Reaction score
It's a fantastic helmet, the best out there. Congrats! Show us some pics, and maybe even a comparison between Gino V2 and RS.

Reaction score
The RS lid is a work of art. Congrats!!

It's a bit out of my rice range at the minute, but ideally I'd love to have a TK helmet evolution set up in my display room; RS ANH, RS ESB, CFO ROTJ.

Reaction score
I am looking to build a ANH Hero helmet. I'm going with the vacuum forming process and need to start with some molds. My molds are going to be made out of wood. But I need some dimensions and accurate reference points. Does anyone have screen accurate dimensions of the helmet that I can use? Or I have pics of the helmet by AA with the plaque in the pic. If I can get the dimensions of the little golden plaque then I am able to scale it in relation to the helmet and go from there. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Im looking through the past threads and am planning to visit the prop den to learn more about vader and fett.

I am wondering have we gotten as far as we accurately can for helmets? Some fan-made buckets were made by the original sculpters themselves and made casts from the original props like eFX. How much more accurate can we get?

I was also wondering that since we are discussing props in general in this thread, any opinions on makers of SS models, sabers, or blasters?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was wondering which companies have produced the best vader and fett helmets?

It seems that eFX Vader Legend seems to have gotten rave reviews although the RPF states that the helmet is still too idealized. SDS has a Vader helmet and It seems RP Props did not make a vader despite their reputation for making quality armor and having Bill Muir, the original sculptor of Vader.

Same question about the Fett helmet. MR seems to have made a good helmet although eFX is trying to produce a better one with their Legend series. What do people think are the "best" Fett and Vader helmets. either prop accuracy or idealized?
EFX have produced the best licensed Vader helmet to date although the Legend is not as untouched as they would have you believe.
The SDS Vader is as far as I am aware based off the Vader that went up for sale at Christies a couple of years ago. It did not sell as it was being sold as a screen used Vader but it had been fixed up and reprinted and bared more resemblance to a tour helmet than a screen used. Either that or recast of a Ghost Host.
The RS Props Vader is just a redone VM02 Vader Maker helmet which is based on a ESB 20th C tour helmet. Brian Muir sculpted the original.
Unless you can get hold of rare private castings like the SL, TM, TD etc your best bet is to get hold of a eFX. It did come out the Rick Baker mould and is about as good as it gets in terms of licensed helmets. Even the Limited version is nice and you could always brush the gun metal on to make it closer to the original.

I'm no Fett expert so maybe someone else can chime in.

Mark.

Reaction score
Thank you sskunky. Just to clarify though, what do the abbreviations SL and TD mean (assuming TM is Trooper Master) and what you meant by private casting? (arnt all the fan-mades private castings? Im not sure about the production system of fan-productions).

Reaction score
Thank you sskunky. Just to clarify though, what do the abbreviations SL and TD mean (assuming TM is Trooper Master) and what you meant by private casting? (arnt all the fan-mades private castings? Im not sure about the production system of fan-productions).
The initials are usually put there as the name of the person that made them or offered the run.
TM being Tom M
SL being SithLord
TD is Thomas D
etc .....

what I mean by private castings is if or when someone decides to offer castings of a production made helmet or a casting from a production mould they often only let vetted people by them and there is usually a buyers agreement signed to say that high res pics will not be posted in the public domain or that they are not used to improve or alter lesser casting to be more accurate. These measures are usually set in place to ensure their original investments and the sold castings remain rare and "special"
It's all about trust.

Reaction score
Oh ok. I saw a diagram of the lineage of all the vader helmets following the original props. There are so many, it is hard to determine which one is good, especially since I would like to purchase just one helmet.

Reaction score
Oh ok. I saw a diagram of the lineage of all the vader helmets following the original props. There are so many, it is hard to determine which one is good, especially since I would like to purchase just one helmet.
As far as Private castings go then you will only likely get the chance to buy one if you are known to the seller. By that I mean a trusted contributing member of a forum like the Propden, the RPF or here. It takes quite a few years for that to happen. These casting are well protected. It sounds silly but that's just the way it is. Unfortunately there are people out there that get hold of casting and copy them and sell them on the net just for their own gain.

Id if you want the closest casting to an original that is available to the general public then that has to be a eFX Legend. Failing that a Limited one. These were cast from the Rick Baker moulds. Albeit a bit of sanitation here and there but still a worthy piece in any collection.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I'll chime in on Fett as I have some knowledge but advise with that one that visit The Dented Helmet rather than the Prop Den if it is Fett knowledge you seek. People are friendly so dive straight in.

Boba Fett Costume Resource

It's a big place and pretty easy to get lost so it'll help to have a look at this diagram first to get an understanding of just how many helmets there are out there:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/TDH_Images/fett_helmet_history.png

and that diagram doesn't even include all the ones I'll mention below!

Aside from the existing MR Limited edition Fett (and any upcoming efx effort) there are several fan offerings available that are worthy of consideration. Most are derived from from the Pre pro 2 helmet. The pre pro 2 was lent to Don Post productions for their Boba efforts in the 80s and was subsequently stolen. It was later cast (and badly damaged) which is part of the reason so many of the derivatives have been easy to identify. Here are just some of the present fan efforts and a quick crash course:

The Bobamaker (now into version 3): The original BM helmet as well as the V2 were advertised as a complete fan sculpt but the BM site no longer states this and it may now well be derived from a mold or cast descended from the 'Malone Fett' helmets which was itself a very early derivation of the Pre Pro 2 helmet (BM owns an apparently early cast from that source and the reworked dent on his V3 helmet screams PP2 to me. It's a nice kit and comes ready to paint with the visor installed so no finishing or priming is required.

The Fettpride premium: Made by Fettpride of TDH. This is made from a corrected MR LE with removed visor Pinch. Worth noting that the MR effort was actually a digital scan of the Pre pro 3 helmet and not the ESB hero as was intended. The Pre pro 3 and the ESB hero feature extremely similar paint jobs (but even so you would think that they'd have noticed). This is a nice kit but the matter wasn't without controversy at the time and arguably still isn't.

The Fettpride/ASOK Budget: This is derived from the same source as above but the ears are permanently molded into the helmet (rather than seperate pieces to be screwed on as with the premium). It's a good kit. Not too expensive (but not cheap) and has a quick turnaround time. Mine took about a month from payment to arrival at my door (US to UK). Fettpride sold the molds to ASOK who carried on production. This is my paintup thread of this helmet:
Work in Progress intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP

The GMH: Rather than confuse things by trying to explain in my own words the origins of this helmet I'll simply direct you to these two great articles by TDH board owner Art Andrews. These articles also go a long way to explaining the circumstances of some other helmets derived from the pre pro 2 helmet. These are now offered by ASOK as opposed to Fettpride who did the original work (same situation as the FP budget). I have two ready to paint. They're nice. I really like this helmet.

Boba Fett Costume Resource - First Sons – Boba Fett Preproduction #2 Helmet Progeny

&

Boba Fett Costume Resource - The Grant McCune Boba Fett Helmet

The GMH isn't shown on the top diagram in terms of where it sits in the order of things but it's most likely not far from the Ken Tarello plug (keeping up?:p)

Fettpride Helmet 2 ESB: This is a great looking kit. Fettpride (Chris) won't divulge the origins but looking at it I think I have a fair idea of the source but as he obviously isn't saying for some reason then I won't add my opinion. Anyone prepared to spend the time looking over pictures of the various helmets would most likely come to the same conclusion as me but I could be wrong. I am by no means an expert on the subject. I think this is a great looking kit and may well be the best and most accurate fan made ESB kit out there right now.

Introducing the FPH2 - ESB

review:

For Your Information Review of the Fettpride FPH2

Terminal Fettler: This is a 100% fan sculpt from TF. For a fan sculpt it really is a fantastic helmet. Really and truly impressive work.

Mystery helmets: There are loads of these out there. The best known are 'Sergeant Fang' and 'Marrow Sun'. So far as I know neither of those two still produce these helmets (I could be wrong) so any 'Mystery helmet' will likely be a recast of a recast of a recast etc. Personally I'd not trouble with one. I think the relevance of these was effectively destroyed once the MR and subsequent corrected derivatives appeared and now the GMH is present these are almost obsolete entirely.

ebay: I really wouldn't bother. Nearly everything I've seen on there is a recast of something else. Aside from any moral objections around recasts it simply the case that the further you get from the source the lower the quality of the product in definition and sharpness of detail; there's also generational shrinkage to consider.

Peace.

Andy

On the Vader subject I had thought that the SDS offering was derived from a Ghost Host but can't remember where I read that. The Ghost Host is a very nice helmet (I have one; a beauty) but I think it's relevance has greatly diminished with the efx offerings although I'd not turn my nose up at one if one became available although that is unlikely as not many were produced. I seem to recall that the dome was deemed particularly good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
very informative Andy.
:)

yes, the prop den is the best place for Vader although it can be a bit slow there sometimes. Nice bunch and you'll find all the info you'll need on Vader .

Reaction score
very informative Andy.
:)

yes, the prop den is the best place for Vader although it can be a bit slow there sometimes. Nice bunch and you'll find all the info you'll need on Vader .

Ouch ...;) That's may hard to read for some guys on the RPF...:whistling:

Last edited:
Reaction score
:p

:grin:

LOL,

I still love the RPF but for Vader the propden is your place..... Too many bashers and dramas on the ERPF for Vader threads.

Ouch ...;) That's may hard to read for some guys on the RPF...:whistling:

Reaction score
:p

:grin:

LOL,

I still love the RPF but for Vader the propden is your place..... Too many bashers and dramas on the ERPF for Vader threads.
Prop den seems almost exclusively Vader to me and I think it's where to go for detailed vader info. The 501st Sith Lord Detachment forum also has some nice info but not in the same league as those Prop Den guys; those guys are freakishly dedicated.

Reaction score
Exactly. RPF is very good, but when talking about minute details regarding Vader, Prop Den is your place. The guys there are very knowledgeable and friendly, which is very important if you are new at this.

Reaction score
Its that time of the year again and I'm looking at getting a Biker Scout helmet and/or a Snowtrooper helmet

I've contacted Lone Wolf and he says he might do a run next month so I might get one of those (we'll see)

As for the Snowtrooper helmet I was looking at this guys
bobamaker: Snowtrooper Helmets
Any one have any info on these as far as accuracy and quality?

Reaction score
Its that time of the year again and I'm looking at getting a Biker Scout helmet and/or a Snowtrooper helmet

I've contacted Lone Wolf and he says he might do a run next month so I might get one of those (we'll see)

As i have heard the bobamaker snowtrooper is one of the best set's you can get.
As alternative you may can look for a RS props Snowtrooper.
I have not seen one in person, but on this pic's here it looks realy good:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151745148169333.1073741833.265114729332&type=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
well, Bobamaker says he's not doing any Snowtroopers until Oct 2014, too far away for me, so anyone have any other thoughts on it? I am awaiting MonCals email back on their Snowie lid and I like the price on the RS Props helmet but it just looks out of proportion to me, the helmet looks too big and the eyes look too far apart from the film helmets but it could just be my eyes.

Reaction score
I'm no expert on Snowie lids, but I do remember being told that the rs snowie isn't quite right. Moncal's is very good, but as has been said before you'll need to be patient! It probably won't take until October though,..Laws lid is also really nice,but yeah,..he seems to have fallen off the planet! Hopefully someone more reliable can get their mitts on his moulds someday.

I didn't know LW was gonna do another run of lids. I know he's been spending all his time lately on his 3PO build. I only live a half hour away from him, still haven't gotten one of his Scouts. This will have to change!!And soon!

Reaction score

Here are a few pics of my Bobamaker Snowtrooper, I couldn't say if it's perfect but it's more pleasing on the eye compared to the RSProps pics I've seen.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

With my RSProps ESB Stormtrooper

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
^^ yup its a good looking helmet, he was the first one I contacted because I liked it so much and I have eliminated RS Props off my list because I just dont like their helmet......Unfortunately getting a helmet from BobaMaker is not going to happen because he isnt doing any more runs until next Oct and I'm not going to wait that long.....

Reaction score
^^ yup its a good looking helmet, he was the first one I contacted because I liked it so much and I have eliminated RS Props off my list because I just dont like their helmet......Unfortunately getting a helmet from BobaMaker is not going to happen because he isnt doing any more runs until next Oct and I'm not going to wait that long.....
Have you heard anything back from MonCal yet? I bought his Snowtrooper helmet 3 months ago, and it was about a 10 week wait, not that bad. I ordered it along with some armour pieces though, so maybe if you order just the helmet it's faster.
Haven't assembled it yet, too much going on, but it's a nice bucket..

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my Bobamaker Snowtrooper, I couldn't say if it's perfect but it's more pleasing on the eye compared to the RSProps pics I've seen.

With my RSProps ESB Stormtrooper

[/URL][/IMG]
Very nice, Matt, i like the weathering on the Snowtrooper! I wanted to keep mine pristine, but now i'm not sure.
Also love the ESB Stormtrooper, i need me one of those too..

Reaction score
I'm going to releasing my background ESB trooper helmet sometime this year. Just need to build my workshop and finish my house.
So far there are no ESB helmets released so this will be a first!