Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
But me as a non-trooper still want an accurate piece to display... if that is the case, is the frustration and wait time warranted or would I get something comparable from MonCal ?

Reaction score
Well, if I look at it and say "That's a TIE Fighter Pilot helmet", that works for me. Obviously I don't want a Rubies for the TIE pilot and I don't need something that's an exact replica down to the last scratch from the screenshot. If Law doesn't reply then my choice is obvious. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. Again, it's for my personal enjoyment of build and looking at.

Reaction score
But me as a non-trooper still want an accurate piece to display... if that is the case, is the frustration and wait time warranted or would I get something comparable from MonCal ?
If you have endless patience and persistence and are OK with the $600 Laws AT-AT price tag, then that may be the way to go. Honestly, Laws was my first choice as it looks the most accurate to me. But since it didn't work out for me, the Moncal seemed like a good back up plan. It's still a very nice helmet...

http://www.mg501.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/TA_08sm.jpg

TIE pilot helmet also looks quite nice:
http://www.mg501.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/ourtie32sm.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Moncal is a top notch lid-I've been trooping mine for about three years now. Saying that however, the Laws lid does have a sharper faceplate. I don't know if the DL comes with greebles as standard,but the MC come complete,ready to troop/display out of the box.

Either will involve a substantial wait time(mine was six-eight months IIRC), but i've heard some real scary stories about peeps who are still waiting on Laws after over a year(!)

Dark Agent is another source. Cheaper, based in the UK,very,very glossy. He sells kits as well as fully built ones.

You could opt for an SDS, but I wouldn't because of his fraudulent claims and the fact it isn't screen accurate(the ear greebles are wrong)

Reaction score
Laws helmets come with all greeblies installed if you go with Elvistrooper ones. The disk ear greeblies on the SDS TIE are quite good if you take off the lower knobs, but I like them on. No matter the controversy with SDS, there is one thing no one else can say: he did pull the molds back then. And some fraudulent claims were made by other "important" people too, just do a bit of real research and you'll know what I mean. Plus read starwarshelmets regarding the SDS TIE Pilot lid: SDS Helmets. Jez knows what he is talking about.

The Laws AT-AT helmet has the most accurate forehead greeblies out there so far. The clock greeblies are simply the best, better than MonCal, DarkAgent and even than old Laws - and this is because of the new raised parts which were present on the original greeblies, but not present on any fan made until Dan made these new ones. And the funny thing is I got an extra set of forehead clock greeblies and buttons from Dan, and giving them for free to a good friend next week.

There is also a RPF member who made very accurate AT-AT Driver dual tusks, insanely cool. Hopefully some of these days I will install the set on my gray Laws lid.

Reaction score
So I finally managed to get my hands on a good ROTJ style E-11 blaster. Like the TK armour, a lot of people find this version to be very ugly,(and so there's not much demand for it out there) but I quite like it...

Comparison with a ANH version(which needs a new lick of paint!)

Reaction score
Very nice! Is it metal or resin? I like ROTJ blasters. That is the only E-11 that I'm missing (I have 3 ANH: MR, Sterling & SDS and 1 ESB: RS Prop Masters/Pugman) but for ROTJ I'm waiting for a MGC.

Reaction score
Thanks Serg. it was originally a really bad resin cast from a source in England that my buddy heavily reworked. The barrel fins and front sight were replaced with metal ones, lots of seam lines/bubbles/rough edges had to be filled and sanded..
Here's a pic of how it originally looked:

Reaction score
You may be aware of the cool Yoda lamp prop made of aluminum - now I got the Imperial version of that lamp. :) It is the lamp of the dark side, or the dark side of the lamp. A superb little prop, displayed next to my eFX TIE Fighter and Attakus TIE Pilot - thanks again my friend:

And a shot of the entire setup in the blue light:

Reaction score
I finally got my Far Away Creations AT-AT driver helmet that I've been waiting for since November and it was worth the wait. I love it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
RS Prop Masters 1:3 Stormtrooper helmet, scanned from an original screen used bucket and scaled down. It has been painted by a very good friend of mine, comes with real green acetate lenses and a cool neck trim, and the black stand is made by me:

Reaction score
Very nice Ben!

MonCal only makes white AT-AT helmets and armors

Actually, he just posted up a grey one he had made for a customer on the main legion boards. I asked if he'd offer them as an option, he said yes. Looks great,but I still think I'd opt for a white one. That's how it looks on screen, and it's what we all believed to be the case for decades!

Reaction score
That was yesterday's Moncal announcement, and what I posted was some time ago ;)

I have both white and gray so no issues for me

Reaction score
Who made the sandtrooper? The weathering looks excellent on that.
That is a TE2 weathered by the talented Madrid Boba. I was very reluctant to get a Sandtrooper in my helmet collection unless the weathering was good. Alfredo did a fantastic job on it, trying to reproduce the Move Along weathering

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just finished putting this guy together....

I have another TK because my plan is to have two of them flanking my lifesize Vader to the entry of my home theatre room once it's finished.

Reaction score
Wonderful.... one of my big collecting goals is a life size Stormie, but two flanking a LS Vader well thats just next level