Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
Ok, so back to the discussion about fan made gear....

Had a wee troop today, decided to break in my TK(even though it's not techically cleared yet) and thought it was a good opportunity to take some comparison pics:

This is me and my buddy, lonewolf(he of the awesome Biker Scout lids). I'm the ROTJ TK, he's the ANH. My kit is CFO, his RSProps, so both have direct lineage to their respective movies' screen used suits

Thought it would be interesting to share, seeing quite a lot of peeps aren't familiar with just how different the suit had become between all three OT movies.Just a shame we don't have an ESB TK(yet) so we could have a complete evolution...

Reaction score
Finally my Laws TIE Fighter Pilot helmet is finished, some upgrades were made yesterday: Targ hoses, rubber neck trim and "TI-1138" sticker ;)

Reaction score
The white stripes almost look like tears running down his face! Very vey nice piece, Serg.

Edit:
Added pictures of my new Vader McQuarrie Style helm from Kropserkel, arrived just last week.. The pictures are nighttime indoors, bad lighting, poor camera, will update with better pics and point out pros and cons imo soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really nice finishing touches mate...

Looks stella!!!
Thanks Gartogg! :)

The white stripes almost look like tears running down his face! Very vey nice piece, Serg.

Edit:
Added pictures of my new Vader McQuarrie Style helm from Kropserkel, arrived just last week.. The pictures are nighttime indoors, bad lighting, poor camera, will update with better pics and point out pros and cons imo soon.
Very cool!!! Congrats! Wish eFX had chosen this version of the Mcquarrie Vader, I like this the most.

Reaction score
Awesome sergiu!
With my limited display space, the TIE lid never made my wish list until now I've seen yours. Superb aquisition mate + decerning taste,, credit to its maker!
Finally my Laws TIE Fighter Pilot helmet is finished, some upgrades were made yesterday: Targ hoses, rubber neck trim and "TI-1138" sticker ;)

Reaction score
Awesome sergiu!
With my limited display space, the TIE lid never made my wish list until now I've seen yours. Superb aquisition mate + decerning taste,, credit to its maker!
Thank you :) In my opinion the hoses add a lot to this TIE Fighter Pilot helmet. If eFX makes it some day, they really need to add some hoses too.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, so back to the discussion about fan made gear....

Had a wee troop today, decided to break in my TK(even though it's not techically cleared yet) and thought it was a good opportunity to take some comparison pics:

This is me and my buddy, lonewolf(he of the awesome Biker Scout lids). I'm the ROTJ TK, he's the ANH. My kit is CFO, his RSProps, so both have direct lineage to their respective movies' screen used suits

Thought it would be interesting to share, seeing quite a lot of peeps aren't familiar with just how different the suit had become between all three OT movies.Just a shame we don't have an ESB TK(yet) so we could have a complete evolution...
Looking good!!!:)

Reaction score
Long time coming but here you go......some of the TK stuff I make.........:D

CFO JoeR helmet

CFO CO Helmet

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am currently in comms with SDS ironing out detail for an E11 blaster. They are fairly expensive, imo, at around $300AUS (including postage cost). Can anybody guide me in a way for a cheaper way to purchase a top but accurate and neat blaster? I like the fact that SDS were involved in original prop making of these particular items, so am confident in what they have to offer.. MR are simply too expensive otherwise.. i don't want to spend time in modifying a toy either, my main aim is to purchase a great looking replica and simply shelve it for display.. no mucking around..
Any advice would be great, thankyou.

^^ to sskunky:
Great photos, nice cos.. well done!
Edit: A little short for a stormtrooper aren't you..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would advise to look on FISD whitearmor.net, there are some cool blasters for sale there from time to time. Also if you get a finished doopydoos one then you'll have a very accurate blaster as well.

Reaction score
Honestly,..i'd stay away from SDS for ALL things Stormtrooper. He's full of BS..If you ever get a chance, ask Brian Muir( one of the REAL creators of the TK) about AA's involvement.....maybe stand back a little bit first!

A doopy's kit is gorgeous when put together well.

As for the ROTJ TK, I agree Serg. Lots of people don't like them, but honestly they do grow on you after a while. I love them(even if they were the Keystone Cops!).

Mark's kit is great. Even better when in it's natural environment!

Apologies for the incorrect blaster. Getting a decent ROTJ E-11 is like finding hens teeth....(and for what it's worth, that's a doopys kit!)

Reaction score
I am currently in comms with SDS ironing out detail for an E11 blaster. They are fairly expensive, imo, at around $300AUS (including postage cost). Can anybody guide me in a way for a cheaper way to purchase a top but accurate and neat blaster? I like the fact that SDS were involved in original prop making of these particular items, so am confident in what they have to offer.. MR are simply too expensive otherwise.. i don't want to spend time in modifying a toy either, my main aim is to purchase a great looking replica and simply shelve it for display.. no mucking around..
Any advice would be great, thankyou.

^^ to sskunky:
Great photos, nice cos.. well done!
Edit: A little short for a stormtrooper aren't you..
lol,
that's my brother in the suit and yes he's a few inches shy of the proper height.
MK can tell you a bit about the Sds blaster as its cast from my original parts. I leant them to him years ago. They aren't bad and very light and strong. Good for trooping. Fairly accurate. You could make a soppy doors. They come out great. If you can get hold of a hyperfirm they're good too.
I don't actually have one as he never even gave me one for lending him the parts to cast!

Reaction score
The SDS blaster came from you Mark, isn't it? Your own Sterling and M38 scope and Hengstler. And it is indeed quite accurate. As for the SDS helmets, the TK might not be the most accurate (controversy here), but the others are pretty cool and the TIE is quite accurate, just look on swhelmets. But you might get a better deal with a doopys blaster, being cheaper. Hyperfirm is nice, but being made of rubber it is losing a lot of detail compared to others.

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is making a very cool Yoda lamp, it seems it is the first made so far, a must have for Yoda fans:

Reaction score
The details can be found on RPF (though at this moment seems RPF is down for some reason). Anyway we can talk by PM. :)

Reaction score
Sergiu,if you have the chance to get a lamp please contact me also :whistling:.

Reaction score
The SDS blaster came from you Mark, isn't it? Your own Sterling and M38 scope and Hengstler. And it is indeed quite accurate. As for the SDS helmets, the TK might not be the most accurate (controversy here), but the others are pretty cool and the TIE is quite accurate, just look on swhelmets. But you might get a better deal with a doopys blaster, being cheaper. Hyperfirm is nice, but being made of rubber it is losing a lot of detail compared to others.
Ok, thank you all for your advice and input.
I have considered options and after further searching I have decided to run with SDS (they gave me a discount just by asking which helped). Given info gleaned from Sergiu's comparison thread, and wanting the convenience of the model being ready to display, no mucking around, I jumped in. I am aware the cost comparison will be quite outside having a Hasbro (if you can find one - they are getting harder to come across) with the doopy doos kit, but weighing up the time to put it together and additional costs in resins and glues and fixings in general, I simply decided to buy one outright. A good friend of mine is currently attempting a pvc pipe build and has ordered both the Hasbro/doopy doos also but he has the time on his hands. We'll see how it all comes out. If anybody would like to see pictures of the SDS E11 when it arrives here, I will post on request in a few weeks.
As an end note: if anybody finds out the asking price for the Yoda lamp, please let me know, I would be interested if the price is right.

Thank you again. Your input is appreciated and held in high regard. In this case it simply came down to time vs cost matter.

(I met a princess today!)

Reaction score
So, I'm taking it Imperial Armor is very slow to respond. Is the wait that great for the Tie through either one?
Imperialarmor.net aka (Dan) Laws makes simply superb helmets, but he might be sometimes slow in responding, especially when having a lot to work. But his helmets and armors well worth the wait. FarawayCreations aka MonCal is faster to respond, you might want to try there as well. Good luck.

Reaction score
So, I'm taking it Imperial Armor is very slow to respond. Is the wait that great for the Tie through either one?
Slow to respond is a great understatement. I sent five or six emails to him over the course of three months and never got a reply at all. He makes fantastic helmets but I guess he doesn't need any more business than he already has.

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know. It takes MonCal's wife, who handles the emails and such, about a week to respond. I already placed an order previously with Far and
Away for the Scout Trooper snout greeblies. Now, another question is do you guys know about how much the TIE and AT-AT helmets cost?

Reaction score
Yep, Kathy has been excellent in answering my emails. I'm close to getting their At-At after a seven month wait (which was close to her wait time estimate). Cost was around $450 shipped.
Although I went with DA's Tie helmet I did get a quote from Moncal of $300 + ship on the Tie.

Last edited: