Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
Uber-accurate Laws AT-AT Driver gray helmet with improved greeblies and stickers (some of the upgrades are missing from the pics here, but you get the idea). A stunning helmet which I'm really glad I managed to get for my collection. There were some improvements that I did myself making it even more accurate:

Comparison with the Laws AT-AT white armor & helmet:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazing helmet!
He had told me he no longer paints his AT-AT helmets gray so good for you that you were able to get this.

Reaction score
Amazing helmet!
He had told me he no longer paints his AT-AT helmets gray so good for you that you were able to get this.
Thanks buddy. Dan usually doesn't make gray helmets anymore since he needs to paint them and not just use white ABS. He also asks extra $50-100 for repainting helmets. But he did this for me for free and he even included an extra set of AT-AT Driver helmet clock greeblies, which I intended for someone on another board who got a MonCal AT-AT-Driver suit (MonCal clock greeblies are not as accurate as Laws), but I think I'll keep them for myself after what happened on that board.

Screen used clock greeblies:

MonCal AT-AT:

Old Laws AT-AT:

Now compare all these with my own clock greeblies seen in pics above. The new Laws clock greeblies on the forehead are the most accurate out there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your new gray helmet clock greebs win :)
Just wondering about the jawbone stripes though...are they a bit long? Since you said that your photos aren't final, perhaps you've addressed that already. It looks pretty darn perfect otherwise :)

Reaction score
Indeed. The best helmet decals/stickers come from trooperbay - not just AT-AT. Though some of the AT-AT decals from Dan are awesome as well. For example the red imperial cogs from him are reflective, so when you put light on them, they light up in the dark - the same with a couple chest box white decals. The clock greeblies from the new Laws helmets are very cool, I have them on both the white and gray lids.

Reaction score
A short review of Moncal vs Laws AT-AT helmets. The overall shape of the Laws helmet is a bit better than Moncal's - Moncal has a rounded part where the small hoses tuck under the lid and the vocorder on the Laws is sharper. The new Laws clock greeblies are better than any other made before by anyone. The body of the back canisters on the Moncal is more accurate than the Laws (with the separation line in the middle of the canister), but the top of the canisters is still better on Laws by being less rounded. Moncal has a much better pill box in the back of the mohawk. Otherwise both helmets are awesome and one day I might get a Moncal too. I already have their Snowtrooper and AT-ST Driver. :)

Reaction score
As mentioned, they look awesome, and thanks for sharing. Its increasing my awareness of what's out there. After following your previous guidance I've discovered the brillance of RS Propmasters and the TM vader helmet after becoming engulfed in The Prop Den. There is so much quality replicas, the only thing is to be selective + do your research. I'm really digging the gray at-at lid. What was the source of the casting? Was it hand sculped by Dan (he appears very talented!) Or does it derive from some original source?
Cheers + thanks for you pictures + posts! Well done!
Mick

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. The fan made helmets are great! Many of them more accurate than licensed ones and some will only be made by unlicensed artists since it seems the developing of a licensed helmet takes so long. The idea is to avoid ebay and go to the genuine sources.

Reaction score
Thank you.

Merr-Sonn Power 5 Heavy Imperial Blaster, made from metal Denix replica with movable trigger and cocking hammer. The blaster also comes with wooden grips and accurate Lichtbringer greeblies. A very cool piece, rarely made so far. I'm having a stand made for it as we speak.

Merr-Sonn "Power" 5

Seen on screen here:

Reaction score
Love the Merr-Sonn Power 5, i've seen it before on partsofsw, but not like this. Did you do it yourself?

I've been thinking about doing some custom blasters myself. I've ordered K-98 and MP-40 ammo pouches from zib-militaria.de, and saw that they also sell metal replicas of WW2 era guns, so i guess that would be a good base to start with.

I just love the idea of 'creating' something myself, makes it so much more interesting and cool!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This blaster is made by Moonwalker (a 501st and RPF member) with the help of Lichtbringer - they did a great job on it. I was really lucky to get it This also shows on partsofsw in 2 variants, mine is the (metal) one with long barrel and muzzle shroud. Cannot wait for the stand and then it will be displayed next to my real deact. Sterling E-11.

Reaction score
Some of you may be familiar with my real deact. Sterling E-11 Stormtrooper blaster with genuine M38 (and M40) tank scope, real Eagle Hengstler counter, accurate cylinders and T-tracks. I just upgraded the cylinders with a real trio of capacitors not, just copies. I also added an metallic Imperial logo on the base. I know I worked hard to make this blaster as accurate as possible, and I'm glad how it turned out.

In the end the Sterling Stormtrooper blaster remains my top favorite collectible. This piece simply screams "Star Wars" and with all its moving parts is like a real blaster. Everyone seeing my collection in person, after I tell them what it is, want to see it closely and even hold it - though holding it is a very hard to give privilege. ;)

It is a very sturdy blaster, it's the real deal, maybe someone even used it in some war. I have the MR Stormtrooper blaster too (I even had a disassembled MR one), but the Sterling is not a metal pipe replica blaster like the MR E-11. I could even beat someone with it LOL, and not worry it will break, something I wouldn't dare with the MR blaster.

Reaction score
Looks great Serg, I didnt even know some Tie Pilots had the additional silver
hhighlights..... so today I got to check out your cool new lid and learn something new :) good day!

Reaction score
Reaction score
The full metal Imperial pattern custom stand made by my talented friend Matt Black arrived, and the Merr Sonn Power 5 Heavy Imperial blaster is now ready for battle :)

Reaction score
I really like the base of the blaster. Very slick.
Thanks. My friend did a great job on it. Glad I didn't try with Kodofett. I also changed a bit the coiled wires on top of the blaster making them rarer. Some pics later. BTW I just realized SS released this blaster with Praji figure.

Reaction score
Personally, I never really been a fan of the variant TIE lids. I know they were customised like that so it'd be easier to make them out on screen, but my lid will always be plain,shiny black. Story-wise it never really made sense either-the rest of the Imperials are uniform,mass produced,identical.Why should pilots be any different?

LOVE that blaster stand! Been meaning to look into getting a couple stands for some of my trooping blasters. seems a waste to keep my SE-14R packed away all the time. Might just have to 'borrow' that design! :)

Reaction score
Personally, I never really been a fan of the variant TIE lids. I know they were customised like that so it'd be easier to make them out on screen, but my lid will always be plain,shiny black. Story-wise it never really made sense either-the rest of the Imperials are uniform,mass produced,identical.Why should pilots be any different?

LOVE that blaster stand! Been meaning to look into getting a couple stands for some of my trooping blasters. seems a waste to keep my SE-14R packed away all the time. Might just have to 'borrow' that design! :)
I like the different design of various helmets, this allows me to get more than just one. I already have a plain black TIE so this variant was the option. Then there is the one owned by Ben too. The same maybe with black and gray AT-AT lids, different types of Stormtrooepr helmets, different Vaders.

The Imperial design of the stand was in fact the idea of my friend. And really glad I went with it.

Reaction score
I don't actively dislike them, but I much prefer the standard all black. I think it comes down to my own personal fussiness. Nothing's cooler than seeing a squad of 'identical' ANH TK's lined up/marching/whatever. But mix in a couple ESB,one or two ROTJ,even a TKC and it loses it's visual impact.A lot.Looks awful in fact. Same with the TIE Pilots. Two/four all black standing side by side looks FRIKKIN' EPIC!!!(I may be a little biased here lol!) But if you have one all black, one with Widows Tears and a couple with painted mohawks, again it just looks messy to my eyes...

Don't even get me started on Phase2 Clones!;)

Saying that, I do have a soft spot for the painted mohawk..maybe when I retire my current lid he might get a little spray and a spot in a cabinet somewhere....

Reaction score
... Story-wise it never really made sense either-the rest of the Imperials are uniform,mass produced,identical.Why should pilots be any different?
Don't forget Sandtroopers who have clear ranks as well as the officers. I kind of like the idea that when Vader went out to deal with the rebels himself in ANH, he picked a few elite pilots to accompany him.
I totally understand your point about the uniformity of troops lined up together though :)

Reaction score
Another version of the TIE helmet is this one, owned by Ben:

Since I don't collect PT clones, I don't own their helmets/armors. But personally I totally prefer the look of the white and black Stormies, than multi-color Clones. When you have a squad of similar troops all together it looks fantastic.

I guess the differently painted TIE Pilots were the elite ones, just like pilots today paint their helmets to make them more unique. I like this and I think if lined up in front of Vader or the Emperor, these elite pilots would be a separate bunch from the other regular troopers out there.

But the thing is the ILM artists painted these back then with some silver markings because with black on black details were hard to see on screen. The same with OT Vader. So some of the cool details can be improved with these silver markings.

Reaction score
But the thing is the ILM artists painted these back then with some silver markings because with black on black details were hard to see on screen. The same with OT Vader. So some of the cool details can be improved with these silver markings.

Actually that is not why they are painted with silver markings.
There were a bunch of x-wing and tie helmets made for the original ANH production. All made in the exact same way.
For both x-wing and tie helmets, they took out a portion of them and converted them into hero props and added specialized detailing.
The silver you see on the tie helmets is because it is a hero tie pilot helmet. There were four different hero ties made and seen on screen.

Reaction score
The 4 models have the pics posted above already (post #144), the first one, clean, being the stunt.

I'll post the pics again on this page too:

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a stunt tie helmet. There are background helmets, and hero helmets.
The 4 hero tie helmets were just 4 standard background helmets that were chosen to have added detail to convert them into hero versions.

Reaction score
I see no problem in using the term stunt, for the background item, no matter if they were just plain black and the hero were with the added markings. Jez uses this term on StarWarshelmets, and no offense to anyone, but I trust Jez the most when talking about most of the OT trooper helmets out there:

REAL TIE FIGHTER PILOT

Last edited: