Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
It used to be. But Gentle Giant got the liscense a couple of years back and has done very little with it.
They should go back to their original company concept and scan the actual prop helmets. That's the area where they stood out back then. Just sad they went away from that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First it was Riddell, then MR and then GG. And now nothing.
I asked Greg if there were any plans to make anymore replica 0.45 scale helmets, all he said was that they have lots of plans in the works & couldn't promise anything??? :| It seems a real shame to have the license to make something & not to bother doing so..., hopefully if they don't do anything after a certain period of time they'll loose the license & someone else can pick it up, eFX would be ideal seeing as they are Master Replicas anyway!!! :)

Reaction score
I asked Greg if there were any plans to make anymore replica 0.45 scale helmets, all he said was that they have lots of plans in the works & couldn't promise anything??? :| It seems a real shame to have the license to make something & not to bother doing so..., hopefully if they don't do anything after a certain period of time they'll loose the license & someone else can pick it up, eFX would be ideal seeing as they are Master Replicas anyway!!! :)
Really wanting GG to do more helmets. Got tired of waiting for more so I took matters into my own hands. Biggs and Porkins.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Reaction score
I was thinking about branching off into ESB, but there are still plenty of ANH Helmets to do. I think I may go with Red Leader next. I think if I could get all of Red group done that would be sweet. But Dak is calling to me as well. I just need to get more helmets. If anyone here wants to sell any MR .45 scale on the cheap let me know. Also looking for a MR x-wing helmet base.

Reaction score
They are selling pretty cheaply on ebay, I've noticed there are loads of them listed, that's on the UK site though..., & don't forget Gold Leader too, that's a decent helmet to be doing (I think). :)

Reaction score
A year or two back, there was someone I think from some Asian country, on Ebay selling these beautiful scale Star Wars helmets in the same size as the Riddell ones. I remember them being rather expensive but the person making them offered many of the ones Riddell never got to produce nor MR nor GG for that matter. I've been trying to locate that seller or a place to contact selling these scale helmets but I haven't gotten any results. Does anyone of you guys that are more avid, dedicated collectors than me remember these helmets or how to get in touch with the source? Thanks in advance.

By the way disgruntlejawa, I really like your versions of the Biggs and Porkins helmets. If you ever decide to made extras of those, I'd be more than glad to buy them from you if the price is right. Keep me in mind!

Natalie

Last edited:
Reaction score
A year or two back, there was someone I think from some Asian country, on Ebay selling these beautiful scale Star Wars helmets in the same size as the Riddell ones. I remember them being rather expensive but the person making them offered many of the ones Riddell never got to produce nor MR nor GG for that matter. I've been trying to locate that seller or a place to contact selling these scale helmets but I haven't gotten any results. Does anyone of you guys that are more avid, dedicated collectors than me remember these helmets or how to get in touch with the source? Thanks in advance.

By the way disgruntlejawa, I really like your versions of the Biggs and Porkins helmets. If you ever decide to made extras of those, I'd be more than glad to buy them from you if the price is right. Keep me in mind!

Natalie
I've never seen any other x-wing helmets before. I'd also be interested in hunting the ebayer down, so if you find out let me know. I'm having a blast making these! If or when I make extras I'll let you know.

Reaction score
So far Porkins, Biggs, Red 10 and Red Leader. Just finished Red Leader last week, planning on Red 4 next. All started out as a MR Luke .45 scale helmet (Porkins was a Riddell, needed the chin strap undone). Planning on finishing up Red group then moving on to Gold. Then moving on to ESB helmets. The plan is for all x-wing, y-wing and snowspeeder pilots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My photography skills are what they are.
Nice ESB helmet! RS?

So far Porkins, Biggs, Red 10 and Red Leader. Just finished Red Leader last week, planning on Red 4 next. All started out as a MR Luke .45 scale helmet (Porkins was a Riddell, needed the chin strap undone). Planning on finishing up Red group then moving on to Gold. Then moving on to ESB helmets. The plan is for all x-wing, y-wing and snowspeeder pilots.
Excellent job on the scaled lids.

Reaction score
A message on FISD 501st:

WWIIREBEL said:
Uniquecanes.com going out of business soon- Seller of blasters and replica sterling L2A3's

I just wanted to give a heads up that the above mentioned website is taking offers for a take over.
Mr. Aj Standish (owner) is retiring this november on his 70th BDay, so i figured i let everyone know before he stops selling anything. He makes/sells deactivated Sterlings for $449.00 as well as fully built E-11's but they cost way more.Link below

http://yhst-56729669.../star-wars.html

Reaction score
Get a RS Prop Masters too. ;)
Don't have money or space for another but the fact you thought it could be one anyway clearly displays it's pedigree. It's lineage is quite well known anyway I believe. In terms of the actual piece itself the build quality is incredible. The maker has obviously gone to a great deal of trouble and the piece has a real feel of attention to detail to it. It is unbelievably light to hold and feels rather fragile. I would say it feels quality but that isn't really right. It doesn't feel quality at all really. That is the point though. I'm very happy with it. It really shows my MR LE up. I would recommend one. If you can get one that is.

Reaction score
Don't have money or space for another but the fact you thought it could be one anyway clearly displays it's pedigree. It's lineage is quite well known anyway I believe. In terms of the actual piece itself the build quality is incredible. The maker has obviously gone to a great deal of trouble and the piece has a real feel of attention to detail to it. It is unbelievably light to hold and feels rather fragile. I would say it feels quality but that isn't really right. It doesn't feel quality at all really. That is the point though. I'm very happy with it. It really shows my MR LE up. I would recommend one. If you can get one that is.
It's a beautiful helmet but I passed twice on Gino buckets already, because I wanted the BEST out there, which is RS Prop Masters, no doubt about it. :)

Reaction score
Nice Trooper!
I've never seen a Gino lid in person but it looks good from here. Whilst I would agree with Sergiu that the RSP is top of the pile I'm more than happy to have others in my collection, TE2, MR LE, CAP, CFO and SDS (sshhhhh).

I finally finished painting my RS Props Trooper, ESB style too intwenothor. Being my first attempt at DIY I'm rather pleased.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

These guy's now need Blasters and thanks to you Sergiu I'm working on my deactivated Sterling.
You've cost me a fortune with your ridiculously impressive collection Sergiu :grin:

Reaction score
Nice Trooper!
I've never seen a Gino lid in person but it looks good from here. Whilst I would agree with Sergiu that the RSP is top of the pile I'm more than happy to have others in my collection, TE2, MR LE, CAP, CFO and SDS (sshhhhh).

I finally finished painting my RS Props Trooper, ESB style too intwenothor. Being my first attempt at DIY I'm rather pleased.

These guy's now need Blasters and thanks to you Sergiu I'm working on my deactivated Sterling.
You've cost me a fortune with your ridiculously impressive collection Sergiu :grin:

Fantastic looking helmet! ;) I also have licensed and unlicensed Stormtrooper helmets and proud about that. Congrats on the Sterling, please show us WIP (or at least some PM's with images). BTW is it old spec or new? Do you have scope, t-tracks, Hengstler etc. for it?

Reaction score
Intwenothor:

Hey! i'm based in Essex UK too matey!
I also have 3 Gino Stormtrooper lids. Ive got his V2 Background and his V2 Hero + Ive just got a V3 hero of his that is from his personal collection that mirrors the new EFX hero as much as possible except its the real ABS not the fibreglass their going to do? All helmets are hand painted and assembled by him too.
Their really cool lids.
Ive just managed to pick up a still factory sealed EFX Vader Legend helmet and its the last one number 364!
Got all my Star Wars gear in my movie room with the walls full of the large scale retro figures some of them signed.
Are you going to NOR CON on the 2nd Sept? Jeremy Bulloch is going to be there so im going to get my Jumbo celebration Fett signed next.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah, Essex. It truly is God's country. Sigh........ Hmmm.

My V3 was constructed and painted by Gino too. I know he offered some kits but him being the builder was a big motivating factor in trying to get one after I first saw this thread:

My V3 HDPE TROOPER HELMET **FINISHED! see post #207 - Page 9

I know the RS is considered the daddy but when I first saw this thread I thought they looked exceptional (there's obviously some controversy here too but I'm too late to the table to know what it's all about).

I had until relatively recently always preferred the idealised world. When I first started seriously looking into making a 1:1 Boba and started tracking down original parts all of that started to change (maybe a year to eighteen months ago my attitude started to change, I first became interested in the Boba thing about three years ago) and these fan made items started to look increasingly desirable. Aside from the lineage and all that, what makes this a truly interesting piece for me is the care and attention that went into the project as a whole, such as making it in Khaki HDPE or the red spray on the inside. A level of dedication that is impressive and I admire that in itself. The attention to detail in the assembly is also something to behold. Something that my weak photography skills can't replicate for you all to enjoy. I feel that as it gets older the construction will make it look even better, or worse if you get me. I was truly excited about scoring this, less excited than when I got the real Webley or when the Falcon turned up and I wondered how I was going to explain it to the (previous) Mrs intwenothor but stoked none the less.

I'd love to own a RS as well, as well being the salient point. My money is tied up in the other project right now though. It seems to be getting more and more expensive all the time.

I have a eFx Vader LE on order. Still awaiting for it to arrive. In truth I've waited so long that I'm not really interested anymore. I'm hoping I'll be excited when it arrives but I'm not holding out much hope. God knows how the TIE boys must feel. I recently heard September for that. I wonder what year?

As for Nor Con, no, I'm afraid not. I'm definitely working that day. I've actually never been to any form of Con like that. I had wanted to go to Celebration Europe whenever it was (2007 - right) but decided to go to Exit festival in Serbia instead, where I had an awesome time. Is it just me or does a convention in Norwich sound slightly less exciting than San Diego?:) Looks like some of the more interesting guests have cancelled, Brian Muir for one but don't worry, Colin Baker will still be there. :grin:

Reaction score
Your right about how Norwich sounds LOL
Im just going to get my fett card signed really.
I went to the elstree empire day early this year but im not really into the UK attempt at these kind of shows, it's got to be the US for the events without a doubt.

Reaction score
Intwenothor:

Hey! i'm based in Essex UK too matey!
I also have 3 Gino Stormtrooper lids. Ive got his V2 Background and his V2 Hero + Ive just got a V3 hero of his that is from his personal collection that mirrors the new EFX hero as much as possible except its the real ABS not the fibreglass their going to do? All helmets are hand painted and assembled by him too.
Their really cool lids.
Ive just managed to pick up a still factory sealed EFX Vader Legend helmet and its the last one number 364!
Got all my Star Wars gear in my movie room with the walls full of the large scale retro figures some of them signed.
Are you going to NOR CON on the 2nd Sept? Jeremy Bulloch is going to be there so im going to get my Jumbo celebration Fett signed next.
That surely explains a few things...

Reaction score
Just received this fiberglass Royal Guard helmet from a UK seller. Great quality and value for only $300 shipped (overseas). It looks a bit large on me but I'm only 5'7". Now I just need to get a stand and plaque for it.

Reaction score
Accurate Lone Wolf Biker Scout helmet - this one is made of vac formed ABS halves with 3M speedglass headband and bolts, the same way the screen used ones were made back for ROTJ:

Reaction score
Damn, that is a fine looking helmet Sergiu.

So, my open question -

As I'm assembling my small '77 Star Wars museum in the basement, where would one find the most accurate RFT Helmet? I've stumbled across a few, but wanted to ask the experts.

Reaction score
LOL!

As much as I love my MR/eFX helmets, my favorite is still my Capt. Rex. My main reason for that is because I put a lot of hard work and time in making it.

You should try it Brandon. The satisfaction of having a collectible that YOU made is amazing. And trust me, I'm the last person who would say I'm handy with tools. I've never been a hands on person and I still managed.

Reaction score
Damn, that is a fine looking helmet Sergiu.

So, my open question -

As I'm assembling my small '77 Star Wars museum in the basement, where would one find the most accurate RFT Helmet? I've stumbled across a few, but wanted to ask the experts.
Thanks. you mean a Rebel Force helmet as seen on Tantive 4? There are a few options. The easiest one would be a guy on RPF who has that and Gunner for sale, too bad at work I cannot go to RPF to search for the thread. There is also SDS and of course as DS1000 said the 501st who might have some finished.

As for building own helmets I can say that I upgraded the old AT-AT lid a lot and it felt really cool seeing it evolve with each new greeblie/part I added to it. Really soon another upgrade will be done to it so I know how this feels :)

Reaction score
Comparison between the Kropserkel (left) and Lone Wolf (right) Scout helmets - I already sold my KS lid, it was very nice, also made of ABS, but the LW is in another league altogether: