Fan made (unlicensed) helmets and props - discussion thread

Reaction score
Let's talk about the fan made helmets here. Not just Stormtroopers, but other Imperials and even rebels. Let's see if there is interest on this forum regarding discussions about accuracy too. ;) The links below might help us too:

StarWarsHelmets

* Armor 101

------- The Parts of Star Wars --------

A list of the most known fan made helmets:

MR/eFX
= Master Replicas/eFX Collectibles - licensed Star Wars helmets

AP = Authentic Props - because it's being pulled in ABS, the detail is not as sharp as the TE2

ATA = Affordable Trooper Armor - Is it made by SuperTrooper (Terrell from FISD/501st) from a CAP mold

CfO = Cast from Original - very accurate ROTJ helmets with special liners inside, but they are making other helmets, even non-Star Wars props

FX/GT= is a fan sculpt but not accurate at all. Many 501st members still wear this type of armor. The helmet is notorious for it's over-sized, bobble-head look.

Gino = very accurate helmet.

SDS = Shepperton Design Studios (Andrew Ainsworth - the guy who pulled the helmets back in 1976) - a lot of controversy here, but the helmets themselves are cool, and a bit more sturdier then the regular unlicensed lids.

SiMan/RS Props = the latest Stormtrooper helmet produced from a movie used prop (this is the ultimate Stormtrooper Stunt helmet and keeps ALL the details and bumps from the original ILM helmet)

TM = Trooper Master - a 100% fan sculpt but probably the most accurate armor in the world (for not having been recast from screen-used items).

TE/TE2 = Trooper Expert - TE has sold his molds and the new owner is going by the term TE2. Very accurate.

-----

TK in 501st language means Stormtrooper helmet the same way TB means Scout and TI TIE Pilot etc. ;) TK comes in fact from this: TK-421 - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a list or even many people that make Sandtrooper helmets too??? I'm going to save up for a decent more accurate Stormtrooper helmet but after that I'd like a Sandtrooper helmet for my collection..., I know you've shown me a few pictures (of your Sandtrooper helmet I believe) BUT thought if it's all on this topic then I'll know where to come when looking for what I'm after?!? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Usually Sandtrooper helmets, besides the known differences between some of the paint apps on trapezoids and tear drops (Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper Comparisons) they also need a good weathering. In most cases a nice Tatooine weathering is what makes a good Sandtrooper helmet or not IMO.

My Sandtrooper helmet is a TE2 painted by the talented RPF member MadridBoba to resemble the "Move Along" Sandtrooper:

Reaction score
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for a Darth Vader helmet & what version (maker) would be the best to get one from i.e. who makes a more accurate helmet of him??? :)

Reaction score
Unfortunately Vader is not my strong point. I'm not a Vader collector, I'm an OT Imperials/Trooper collector. :) Though I'd recommend the eFX ANH Vader helmet or the MR Vader helmet if you want to go for licensed items. For unlicensed, I don't know for sure, since as I said it is not my focus, so never really cared too much. But maybe other members who have fan made Vader helmets can chime in, or Star Wars Helmets or http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php could be of more help

Reaction score
Unfortunately Vader is not my strong point. I'm not a Vader collector, I'm an OT Imperials/Trooper collector. :) Though I'd recommend the eFX ANH Vader helmet or the MR Vader helmet if you want to go for licensed items. For unlicensed, I don't know for sure, since as I said it is not my focus, so never really cared too much. But maybe other members who have fan made Vader helmets can chime in, or Star Wars Helmets or http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php could be of more help
Well you've made me smile..., I've checked your pictures & you have at least 21 Darth Vader statues/helmets/posters that I can see so I recon that makes you a bit of a collector of Darth Vader!!! lol ;) I only have 4 Darth Vader statues myself, I do have another ordered (ArtFX+) & a Riddell helmet in the post though BUT that's still nowhere near your collection of Darth Vader's!!! :grin:

I think it would be nice to have a Darth Vader helmet along with the Stormtrooper helmets I plan to eventually get..., would have it as a center peice with the Stormtroopers either side. Thanks for the links..., it's for future reference ofcourse (when funds permit). :)

Reaction score
I have many Vader statues indeed, but mostly because he is the one companies made more than any other character alas. I would really prefer to have the same number of Stormtrooper items instead though. ;)

Reaction score
I would definately prefer more Stormtrooper statues, I have even been pondering hunting down some of the Gentle Giant deluxe statues as they have many different poses so wouldn't all look the same..., I'd also like to get the Attakus Sandtroopers & Stormtrooper(s) but at a reasonable price, I shall just have to be patient though as it does pay off sometimes. :)

Reaction score
SiMan/RS Props = the latest Stormtrooper helmet produced from a movie used prop (this is the ultimate Stormtrooper Stunt helmet and keeps ALL the details and bumps from the original ILM helmet)
Hey Sergiu, where does on acquire one of these helmets and at what sport of price? I'm not familiar with this piece.

Reaction score
Look pretty good. Are they still available though? Aside from a post a few days ago there isn't any activity since Nov '11.

Reaction score
Just drop a PM to Si or Rob and they will let you know about everything. :)

Reaction score
Nice thread Sergiu, I found this one from thepropden helpful when I was researching

The Prop Den • Stormtrooper Helmets & Armor

It used to make me dizzy trying to figure out all the acronyms and which came from what but as with most things, once you know it seems pretty straight forward, I think?

I've always stuck with licensed stuff purely because of how baffling fan made stuff seemed but seeing, handling and knowing more I'm now looking forward to owning more and actually getting hands on and doing some painting.
They also seem a lot more accessible these days! It always seemed like a nod was as good as a wink to a blind bat sometimes, if you didn't know you shouldn't know sort of thing?

Plus, being told that the last licensed screen accurate helmet I bought isn't actually accurate is frustrating to say the least!

The only other fan made item I have is a Godzilla Tusken Raider mask/helmet kit.

Reaction score
Here's my AP (Authentic Props) Stormtrooper helmet I recently finished. It's about to get replaced by an RS Prop Masters helmet very soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice thread Sergiu, I found this one from thepropden helpful when I was researching

The Prop Den • Stormtrooper Helmets & Armor

It used to make me dizzy trying to figure out all the acronyms and which came from what but as with most things, once you know it seems pretty straight forward, I think?

I've always stuck with licensed stuff purely because of how baffling fan made stuff seemed but seeing, handling and knowing more I'm now looking forward to owning more and actually getting hands on and doing some painting.
They also seem a lot more accessible these days! It always seemed like a nod was as good as a wink to a blind bat sometimes, if you didn't know you shouldn't know sort of thing?

Plus, being told that the last licensed screen accurate helmet I bought isn't actually accurate is frustrating to say the least!

The only other fan made item I have is a Godzilla Tusken Raider mask/helmet kit.
You really hit the nail on the head there my friend. Cool link too, I knew about it but forgot to post it.

Reaction score
There are a few helmet styles in circulation. In ANH style we have the Brian R, the Dave M, the Siman, and SDS helmet.

TE was part of starting it all regarding screen accurate armor, as he owned several original helmets - both ANH and RotJ styles. The regular TE cast is of the ANH Brian R helmet - okay sharp face, soft back'n'cap. The TE2 is the same, but has additional damage to the molds. Occasionally also comes with ears from a second helmet, the Dave M.
They also produced fiberglass versions of the Dave M + eventually made HDPE versions from that - it has a sharp face and sharp back'n'cap.
Also offering armor that was reverse engineered from a RotJ suit supplemented with tour suit pieces for the doubled parts on the original suit
Also offering RotJ helmet and armor.

The AP links to the GF suit, which links to the TE, but has been reworked and cleaned up and sharpened. The AP is a bit different from the GF.

Gino offered a less sanitized version of armor and helmet, but the armor was also of the reverse engineered RotJ - links to the TE molded parts.

All the above links back to TE.

ATA = Affordable Trooper Armor - Is it made by SuperTrooper (Terrell from FISD/501st) from a CAP mold
Recast TE armor and helmet.

SDS = Shepperton Design Studios (Andrew Ainsworth - the guy who pulled the helmets back in 1976) - a lot of controversy here, but the helmets themselves are cool, and a bit more sturdier then the regular unlicensed lids.
Helmets may have been formed on molds recently made from leftover shells of helmets. Armor is mostly recast AP/GF pieces.

The third fan owned helmet molded and cast - sharp face and sharp back'n'cap. The ONLY ones offering true ANH style armor - not reverse engineered from RotJ.
Elstree helmet, not ILM. Sculpted, molded, formed and put together in the UK.

So, you have 3 styles of ANH helmets to choose from - those linking to the Brian R, those linking to the Dave M, and those linking to the Siman helmet. I honestly wouldn't waste time on the inaccurately assembled and overpriced SDS helmets.

CfO = Cast from Original - very accurate ROTJ helmets with special liners inside, but they are making other helmets, even non-Star Wars props
The only guys to really go to for RotJ armor.

Prices wary from seller to seller.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For now the SiMan and the CfO remain the only ones offering the best suits and helmets. I'm curious if new helmets or armors will make out to the light from some rich movie prop collectors or from ILM...

Reaction score
Question for you..., why is it that Master Replicas & the new eFX Stormtrooper helmets are molded from what looks to be more or less a one peice mold where as many of the other fan made helmets seem to have poorly fitting attachments i.e. I'm thinking about the ear sections mainly, as they don't seem to sit flushly against the helmets..., most have quite big gaps???

I would watch Star Wars again & check out the Stormtroopers BUT I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the film by looking for imperfections on my favorite characters!!! :\

Reaction score
The MR/eFX LE version is made of fiberglass and idealized. The fan made ones, most of them anyway, keep the real look of the helmets with all the warps and dings. If asked what would be my favorite tooper helmet, an idealized one or a real looking roughly made one, I guess you know the answer already ;)

Reaction score
Some people also trim their ears wrong, so there is too large a gap. It's most time an exaggeration of the gap on the original but equally as wrong as making it flush - all depending on what helmet you are replicating of course.

Reaction score
Since they own an original helmet and armor and saying it may not be HDPE used on the helmet at all, I guess that's why they don't offer that.

Reaction score
I believe they did offer HDPE but only upon request. Right now they do ABS and PVC. My helmet is ABS.

Reaction score
Since they own an original helmet and armor and saying it may not be HDPE used on the helmet at all, I guess that's why they don't offer that.
Yeah, I did see that and was curious. I'm still very new to these fan made helmets but from my other reading, mainly on the RPF there seemed to be a lot of common consensus toward the HDPE being the material used. I appreciate that whatever the case that the HDPE of today may very quite a bit from HDPE in the 1970's and that HDPE might well vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer both then and now. Does an ABS cast loose some of the finer details? As I'm reading through it seems that these different plastics all react quite differently in their respecitve heating and cooling properties.

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the info regarding the use of HDPE on the original helmets came from Andrew Ainsworth, but he also said that he made more ABS helmets than the "HDPE" stunts, where it is a known fact that he made more stunts than the ABS hero helmets, of which he only made 6, so honestly... any info coming from that man is in my view unreliable.

I don't know much about the different plastics, but those who've formed with it say that HDPE is a PITA. Depending on which material you use, you'll get exponential loss the thicker it is. It's said that it's best to form in material between 1 - 2 mm in thickness.

Consensus just means majority opinion, not to be mistaken with absolute fact. That HDPE fact has shifted with the owner of the authentic ANH armor going public - before that it was just conjecture as there was nothing to really compare the different types of plastics to... now there is.

Reaction score
We discussed about the helmets but this thread is about props too. Thus for the people who don't follow the limelight sections here is the converted Sterling blaster upgraded with accurate real Eagle Hengstler. One more step in making it complete, not that it wasn't complete before, since it was accurate to a specific scene from ANH, where Han shoots the comm panel in the detention area, and his blaster there doesn't have Hengstler, just cylinders. The next step might be to upgrade the cylinders with the newly discovered TCC capacitors and maybe the dual wires.

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken this would be Starfortress productions. They are a very shady company with an owner that is evading authorities (I think). He recasts others work and sells it as his own. I have never purchased anything from them for the reputation they have earned in the prop community. I also understand that the quality is terrible and far from accurate. My advice is to find someone around the forums that is well respected for their work and buy from them. Hope this helps some. :)

Reaction score
I'm a huge x-wing fan. That said, with the lack of x-wing helmets I decided to do a custom Biggs .45 scale helmet. Still working on it and planning on doing more in the future. If anyone wants to check it out pics are posted in the GG bust ups-mini helmet thread.

Reaction score
I'm a huge x-wing fan. That said, with the lack of x-wing helmets I decided to do a custom Biggs .45 scale helmet. Still working on it and planning on doing more in the future. If anyone wants to check it out pics are posted in the GG bust ups-mini helmet thread.
I've been trying to find out if Gentle Giant are going to make anymore 0.45 scale helmets, from what I can tell (reading between the lines) there maybe some new helmets on the way, just don't know when or what (they have lots of ideas in the works is all I could get from Greg, unfortunately)??? Personally I'd like a Scout Trooper, Tie Fighter Pilot, Royal Guard & an AT AT Driver BUT anything new would be nice!!! :)

Reaction score
Nice to know that the line may not be deal. I was really worried when GG got the line and only did a few Vaders and the Jango. Other than x-wing pilots I'd like to see the same ones you listed.

Reaction score
Nice to know that the line may not be deal. I was really worried when GG got the line and only did a few Vaders and the Jango. Other than x-wing pilots I'd like to see the same ones you listed.
I wouldn't mind seeing the clone Commander's helmets in the 0.45 scale too..., think that'd probably be asking a bit much though BUT I'd certainly buy them & everything else I mentioned!!! :)

Reaction score
Usually Sandtrooper helmets, besides the known differences between some of the paint apps on trapezoids and tear drops (Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper Comparisons) they also need a good weathering. In most cases a nice Tatooine weathering is what makes a good Sandtrooper helmet or not IMO.

My Sandtrooper helmet is a TE2 painted by the talented RPF member MadridBoba to resemble the "Move Along" Sandtrooper:
Due to some errors on photobucket the pics with the Sanditrooper helmet were deleted. Here they are:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Photobucket wont even let me upload pictures at the moment, I appear to have a cookie problem..., not sure whats going on with my computer, all of the settings are right, just being a pain I guess!!! lol ;) I'd definately like a Sandtrooper helmet, last one you sent me the link for (ebay) I was out when the auction ended so couldn't bid on it..., not got any spare cash at the moment though, committed myself to some Sideshow clones SO paying for them at the moment, then I'll be getting a Royal Guard from Kotobukiya most probably, despite their VERY high postage charges that are more than the actual item their selling!!! :mad: Do you just have the one Sandtrooper helmet??? Just wondering if there are different versions of these OR are they just done as a custom job???

Last edited:
Reaction score
eFX declared some time ago they will not make a LE Sandtrooepr helmet. They already have the Precision Cast one which is ok but far from perfect.

Reaction score
eFX declared some time ago they will not make a LE Sandtrooepr helmet. They already have the Precision Cast one which is ok but far from perfect.
Well that's a shame BUT maybe they'll change their minds..., depends if there's money to be made in making it I guess or how much interest they get i.e. people asking for it to be made!?! :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
They need to make the helmet of ABS and the rest of the origininal materials. Then it needs to be a real wonky Stunt and not just a symmetrical helmet. Then we need some good paint apps and weathering. Only after that we can have a good licensed Sandie helmet :)

Reaction score
It used to be. But Gentle Giant got the liscense a couple of years back and has done very little with it.