Fan Days Questions from a First Timer

Reaction score
Going back to the autographs... Something I've done in the past is if you're getting a personalized autograph, write your name on a piece of paper (also a good way to test your sharpie!) and have it visible when you present your whaterver to be signed. Especially if there is any doubt as to how your name is spelt. That saves the awkward spelling out of one's name or finding out they spelt it wrong, also helps move the line along faster and let's you have those precious few seconds to talk about something else other than your name. :p

Sorry if that was mentioned before.

Reaction score
Kinda along the same lines as the Sharpies, I would also recommend bringing a zippered pencil case to store all of your markers in.

It might sound like a trivial thing, but if you've ever had a pen explode in your shirt pocket or backpack, you'll know what I'm talkin' about.

Now imagine that happening inside your bag with all your OPX photos and FD3 swag - not good.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the dealers room is like at FD or how much swag is being given out. However, when my wife and I went to CIV we had a nearly empty suitcase for carrying all of our stuff back home on the flight.

Needless to say after that weekend it was no longer nearly empty.

Reaction score
I can, and the answer is unknown. Once the show gets closer, movie studios that have films coming out around that time start shipping us the goodies. Till the show is here, we don't even know what we will have.... -Ben

Reaction score
benstevens said:
I can, and the answer is unknown. Once the show gets closer, movie studios that have films coming out around that time start shipping us the goodies. Till the show is here, we don't even know what we will have.... -Ben
Thanks for the update, Ben.

Reaction score
Yeah, the lines can be long if you wait til later in the morning as I discovered last year... The lines were super long because of special guest Bruce Campbell... In any case, right after I arrived they created a second line for people with exact cash... I was able to skip ahead and save a good half hour... So try and bring the exact amount if you go without the passes just in case....

And if you can, go to the Fan Club Breakfast... its nice to have a good breakfast and have personal interaction with special guests....

Reaction score
Or just by your tickets ahead of time. I bought the VIP pass last year and was the second person in.

Also, for free swag there was a big table of mostly posters, but the only think I grabbed was the full sized poster for the newest James Bond film.

Reaction score
I mainly post over on the theforce.net in the Rocky Mountain Fan Force section. Several of us are putting together a road trip from Denver to Plano and it will be a blast.
I'm excited to see all the guests, actors, artists and personalities there. Woot!

Reaction score
Any chance of preselling autograph "tickets" to help budgeting and alleviate the need for excess cash?

Reaction score
That did not happen at C2, C3, C4 or FD 1 or FD2 so I would think that it would be very unlikely that OP would change gears and presell auto tickets.
Just assume you need $20 for every auto you want and bring your cash with you as the ATM at the site typically has a heck of a line.

My $0.02

Ed3

Reaction score
Actually, there was pre-selling of autograph tickets at the first Fan Days... but that was definitely a one-time experiment.

Reaction score
Ed3 said:
Actually, there was pre-selling of autograph tickets at the first Fan Days... but that was definitely a one-time experiment.
Sorry, my bad. I do not recall that but if master Ed said so it happened as your typically the guy taking the cash at the shows.

Reaction score
Vader71 said:
That did not happen at C2, C3, C4 or FD 1 or FD2 so I would think that it would be very unlikely that OP would change gears and presell auto tickets.
Just assume you need $20 for every auto you want and bring your cash with you as the ATM at the site typically has a heck of a line.

My $0.02
But at all of the shows, until the last Fan Days, they had autotickets at the booth when you got there. You could purchase the ticket and then turn it in for an autograph. This was much better because you could split up the costs and pay some in cash and some with credit. (It also seems to me at C2 if you bought a certain amount of tickets, maybe 10, then you got one for free).
I really hope they have tickets again this year.

Ed3

Reaction score
Cperry06 said:
(It also seems to me at C2 if you bought a certain amount of tickets, maybe 10, then you got one for free).
At C2, you could get single tickets for $15 or 10 tickets for $120. The same pricing applied in the "pre-signed" line where you could fill out a form more complicated than the 1040A and pick up your photos a day or so later. Lots and lots of lessons were learned by OfficialPax from C2 which is why there was more staff, more volunteers, more (but shorter) individual lines, and you bought the pre-signed photos off the shelf, no waiting, at C3 and C4.

New lessons are learned at every show and there are both upsides and downsides to autograph tickets in terms of staffing, accounting, time spent in line, and other factors.

Reaction score
Thanks Ed3, I remember there was some type of deal with buying more, because I ended up getting some nice free autographs at C2 for buying so many tickets.
Ed3, were you the guy last year at Fan Days running the register? I think you were the ones handing out the Fan Days cards. One of my favorite people!

Ed3

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I'm the guy at the OfficialPix register at all of the Dallas area shows. I also worked the pull/pre-signed area at C2, C3, and C4. Be sure to introduce yourself at Fan Days III.

Reaction score
Ed3 said:
Thanks! Yes, I'm the guy at the OfficialPix register at all of the Dallas area shows. I also worked the pull/pre-signed area at C2, C3, and C4. Be sure to introduce yourself at Fan Days III.
I'll make sure I introduce myself. We've "met" many times, as I was buying more and more OP merch.

Reaction score
If I do not rent a car is transportation easily obtainable from most motels in the area to the con.?

Reaction score
Should I get my official pix stuff before the show or will they be the same price at the event? Ive never been to an event like this and also wondering what the best is to do planning wise.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Luby said:
Should I get my official pix stuff before the show or will they be the same price at the event? Ive never been to an event like this and also wondering what the best is to do planning wise.
There are always great sales at the OP booth and there are normally show exclusive photos not available anywhere else. With that said, if you have a specific photo you are wanting, I would grab it before you go just to make sure you have it.

Reaction score
I agree with Chris the photos that OP carries at the show are priced well and there are typically shots you do not get online but if there is a specific one you want or a specific size it is better to order it in advance. Most of the ones at the show will be 8x10s so if your an 11x14 guy you will want to order what you want.
I have been to five OP shows now and they have always had what I wanted/needed but recently I have gotten into larger pieces so at the last sale I stocked up.

Reaction score
Awesome, I'll wait until the event. Is this something where ill want to get cash on hand or will op take credit cards?

Thanks for all the input

Reaction score
We will take credit cards with a $25 minimum purchase. One ATM in the building (I'm requesting another), and it runs out of cash halfway through Saturday....

Reaction score
Do you think we will get a presentation from Dave with some sneaks for the rest of the season? I can't wait for them to post the schedule!

Reaction score
Yep, the only thing is you would want to ask the actors prior to recording them. Also, some presentations may say no video allowed.

Reaction score
benstevens said:
Yep, the only thing is you would want to ask the actors prior to recording them. Also, some presentations may say no video allowed.
This would mostly be for recording the show floor, like the booths, exhibitors, etc. But thanks for the information!

Reaction score
Ben,
Can I charge any of the autographs on my credit card this year rather then carrying a bunch of cash?

Reaction score
This will also be my first convention and I'm really excited. Star Wars in Concert Friday night and then two awesome days of Star Wars and Star Wars fandom! Thanks for all the great tips--must get sharpie pack before leaving!

Reaction score
mattsshack said:
Do the specail guest bring their own photos? Or do I need to get some of these on advance?

My question is similar. I want to get an autograph from Hayden and since she is not SW related will there be pix available of her?