Expanded Universe General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
EU figures really helped bring about diversity in the basic figure line, and nearly all of them were huge sellers. Dropping all EU characters will hurt the line, not help it - Disney is making yet another bad decision that will have a negative impact on fandom. They should continue to release EU characters simply for financial reasons, because a strong EU character that sells out helps balance some of the OT and PT pegwarmers.

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time since I've been around here. I haven't collected any of the Black 3 /34" figures, last figures I bought were a few of the final Vintage figures. I'm pretty much calling it quits after this EU announcement. I highly doubt Hasbro will be doing many collector focused figures for the Sequel trilogy, and what they're doing now is getting no distribution near me anyway. But this whole removal of the EU is just painful to me.

Reaction score
Good. The Expanded Universe is a mess and needs to be purged.

Reaction score
I've been a SW fan for nearly four decades. In that time I don't see how I could have spent even $300 on movie tickets and VHS tapes / DVDs / BDs. In contrast, I've spent THOUSANDS collecting every novel and comic released to date. I've spent TENS OF THOUSANDS on action figures.

I'll be the first to admit that most of the EU material isn't stellar. Some of it's terrible, but then again, so is some of the PT. The point is that one of the elements that's made SW unique and lasting is the MERCHANDISING. It's amazing to me how much SW impacted my childhood considering that I only saw each movie once during that entire time, and not in order. What kept it alive for me as a child was the novelizations, the read-along record books, the Marvel comics, the toys, and my imagination filling in countless hours of blanks that went well beyond the mere 7 hours of screen time that I experienced. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the only time since 1978 that the SW line couldn't exist during non-movie years was the one time in history when there was no new non-movie content being produced. I'm not familiar with any other franchises that have kept product on the toy aisle every year for 19 years running with nothing backing it other than movies.

So, while the quality of EU content hasn't been maintained at a consistent level, and a fair portion even outright stinking, the overall existence of the EU has been vital to keeping interest in the franchise alive, keeping toys on the shelves, and getting us to this point where we'll continue to have new films for the foreseeable future. Some of it's been extremely good, and the only way to find those gems was to read it all, good and bad. I'm fairly neutral on the fate of current EU and future EU... "canon" doesn't really mean much to me when all of it is fiction, isn't it? I'm sure that moving forward, no matter what Disney decides, there will continue to be non-movie content, and just like always, some of it will be nearly unreadable, and some of it will be terrific.

Reaction score
Good. The Expanded Universe is a mess and needs to be purged.
^Dude is a hater. He's been trolling the Old Republic boards for months saying how terrible everything is. Seriously man, Darth Revan is your avatar, you don't hate the EU lol.

The truth is there have been plenty of good EU stories over the years. For Hasbro and Disney to "forbid" making all EU figures is nothing short of them betraying the trust of the fans who have invested their time and dollars in supporting this brand. Plain and simple.

Reaction score
Well, it's either a bad or good thing I guess... Honestly though I hope they handle the character right at least. I'm not saying she has to be exactly as she was in the Books, but I don't want to see her tuned into an Ahsoka type characters either!

Though considering I'm not really invested in her character, it doesn't really much matter to me if she in 7 or not. I would have preferred a different character.

Reaction score
I think they said that the new movies could have characters inspired by ones from the EU, but they might not have the same names. So whoever Luke’s wife/ love interest ends up being, she could have a personality similar to Mara but not necessarily the same background or red hair that we all know.

To be honest I am more excited for Star Wars Rebels than I am for the new movies. They’ve been saying for how long that the Star Wars Saga was about the rise and fall of Darth Vader and his redemption by Luke. It’s a story with a clear beginning and ending that was told pretty well in 6 parts. To me, whatever Episode VII ends up being, it will always be that additional stuff Disney did. In other words “Expanded Universe” that isn’t a part of the core story.

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that most of the EU material isn't stellar. Some of it's terrible, but then again, so is some of the PT. The point is that one of the elements that's made SW unique and lasting is the MERCHANDISING. It's amazing to me how much SW impacted my childhood considering that I only saw each movie once during that entire time, and not in order. What kept it alive for me as a child was the novelizations, the read-along record books, the Marvel comics, the toys, and my imagination filling in countless hours of blanks that went well beyond the mere 7 hours of screen time that I experienced. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the only time since 1978 that the SW line couldn't exist during non-movie years was the one time in history when there was no new non-movie content being produced. I'm not familiar with any other franchises that have kept product on the toy aisle every year for 19 years running with nothing backing it other than movies.

So, while the quality of EU content hasn't been maintained at a consistent level, and a fair portion even outright stinking, the overall existence of the EU has been vital to keeping interest in the franchise alive, keeping toys on the shelves, and getting us to this point where we'll continue to have new films for the foreseeable future. Some of it's been extremely good, and the only way to find those gems was to read it all, good and bad. I'm fairly neutral on the fate of current EU and future EU... "canon" doesn't really mean much to me when all of it is fiction, isn't it? I'm sure that moving forward, no matter what Disney decides, there will continue to be non-movie content, and just like always, some of it will be nearly unreadable, and some of it will be terrific.
Extremely well-written post. The SW EU/merchandising is definitely the reason that SW has been in the public eye for so long. Sure, even without this, people would still go to the films & they would still make a ton of $. But, I don't think the franchise would be as popular as it has become.

A specific example is what happened in the early '90's: Circa early 1991, SW was basically dead. There hadn't been any new films for 8 years (since Jedi in '83) & the Marvel comic had ended in '86 (with decreasing sales after ROTJ, IIRC), and there was very little new material out there. However, in Spring '91 Tim Zahn's SW: Heir to the Empire was released, and that really kick-started a resurgence in SW popularity. This was followed by Dark Horse's Dark Empire series in late '91, then the next two Zahn books in '92 & '93, the Jedi Academy trilogy in '94, more Dark Horse SW comics (both reprints & original material), etc. By the time 1995 rolled around, there was a brand new line of Star Wars figures/vehicles in stores (POTF2) that not only sold extremely well but sold out in many places - despite the fact that these were attached to a film trilogy that was 12 years old at that point....IMHO, the EU novels/comics are what paved the way for the POTF2 line in '95. If it hadn't been for the EU, would POTF2 still have sold well? Sure, but maybe not as well as it did....

Reaction score
Extremely well-written post. The SW EU/merchandising is definitely the reason that SW has been in the public eye for so long. Sure, even without this, people would still go to the films & they would still make a ton of $. But, I don't think the franchise would be as popular as it has become.

A specific example is what happened in the early '90's: Circa early 1991, SW was basically dead. There hadn't been any new films for 8 years (since Jedi in '83) & the Marvel comic had ended in '86 (with decreasing sales after ROTJ, IIRC), and there was very little new material out there. However, in Spring '91 Tim Zahn's SW: Heir to the Empire was released, and that really kick-started a resurgence in SW popularity. This was followed by Dark Horse's Dark Empire series in late '91, then the next two Zahn books in '92 & '93, the Jedi Academy trilogy in '94, more Dark Horse SW comics (both reprints & original material), etc. By the time 1995 rolled around, there was a brand new line of Star Wars figures/vehicles in stores (POTF2) that not only sold extremely well but sold out in many places - despite the fact that these were attached to a film trilogy that was 12 years old at that point....IMHO, the EU novels/comics are what paved the way for the POTF2 line in '95. If it hadn't been for the EU, would POTF2 still have sold well? Sure, but maybe not as well as it did....
Bear in mind about 1994 the Special Editions came out then too, which was probably the main boost to toy sales. I doubt it's coincidence that the POTF lines also had a lot of figures from the Special Editions, and later, from the EU.

Reaction score
Bear in mind about 1994 the Special Editions came out then too, which was probably the main boost to toy sales. I doubt it's coincidence that the POTF lines also had a lot of figures from the Special Editions, and later, from the EU.
Actually, the Star Wars Special Editions were released in theaters from January - March of 1997, not 1994.

Reaction score
I had a complete potf2 line and then sone . everything up till 2004 until I sold . the eu were the best made and th coolest figures in my opinion . they are the only figures I miss from the new lines

Reaction score
I collected A LOT of the EU stuff for years, read most of the books and comics (still have most of it) and collected the toys. I especially like the EU figures they put out. Some of my favorite post ROTJ stories were the Kevin J Anderson books-Jedi Academy-Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force. I still LOVE the KOTOR stuff, still play the video games from time to time. I do understand where the reset of canon comes into play with Disney doing the new films both Episodes and Anthologies, they pretty much had to say nothing that came after ROTJ counts so they could do what they wanted BUT I felt that all TOR stuff wasn't hurting anything at all being set so far in the past and not really contradicting anything Ep I-VI stated was canon. It was throwing the baby out with the bathwater IMO. It really is too bad they dropped that especially when The Old Republic MMO was one of the newer things they were doing and had put out the figures of Reven, Malak, Bastilla, and later Darth Malgus-pretty much making them Canon at that time. Regardless though, I have fully accepted what has transpired, I am looking forward to the future of Star Wars under Disney and still secretly enjoy my KOTOR games and comics without complaining.

Reaction score
The EU comic-packs that Hasbro produced in the 200X's were some of my favorite SW collectibles. We got a lot of new figures & figures that also would never have been released carded. Great idea by Hasbro. I especially liked the Amanaman warrior/Imperial Officer two-pack & the Talon Karrde/Grand Admiral Thrawn two-pack.

Too bad they didn't continue, but I suspect they may have not sold that well.

In particular, I would have really liked to have seen more of the EU characters from the original Marvel comic series (1977-1986). They did a couple, but they were mainly re-issues (and/or re-sculpts) of existing Princess Leia & Boba Fett/Jango Fett figures - kind of boring, actually. It would have been especially nicel to have the characters from issues #7-10, i.e. Jaxxon, the Porcupine alien, Don Won Kihotay, etc.

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I have been offered the following Two Packs

Montross and Jaster Mereel Entertainment Earth Exclusive
Darth Krayt and Sigel Dare
Dejah Blue and Darth Nihl Entertaiment Earth Exclusive

What would be a fair for them?

The Seller is asking 255 Euro

Many Thanks for any advice guys, Much appreciated

Liam

Reaction score
Personally, I feel it's a bit high. Montross & Jaster is a fairly cheap one to acquire. Krayt and Nihl are the most HTF ones though, so that may be why the cost is high. The other two figures can be gotten cheap on ebay, last time I checked.
Of course if you love the figures and want them carded, it's up to you whether the price is worth it

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying a Ajunta Pall (the first Dark Lord of the Sith) custom. I'm wondering what figure to use as a base.

Reaction score
I wish Hasbro would bring back the EU comic packs. Those are some of my favorite collectibles. They were typically two never-before-made figures from the EU that wouldn't have been made otherwise. I would especially like to see some focused on the '77-'86 Marvel SW comic series.

Reaction score
I wish they'd re-release the force unleashed toys but then again they'd probably do the terrible 5poa garbage thats permiated the lne for the last few years.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you have a checklist for expanded universe figure. Because I want to focus my collection on EU.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you have a checklist for expanded universe figure. Because I want to focus my collection on EU.
Thank you!
your best bet would be to check the photo archives in Rebelscum. click on each category under Hasbro and they have a list of all the figures made so far. the list is extensive due to the comic packs alone. off the top of my head I can name a few that are going to be $$$$$ to find:

Jaina Solo
Jacen Solo
Darth Revan
Darth Malek
Darth Talon
Jaster Mareel
Jodo Kast
Phase 1 Dark Trooper
The Force Unleashed Shaak Ti
The Force Unleashed Rahm Kota
Republic Forces sets
Joker Squad

also there was the limited run of EU figures from the Dark Empire and Dark Forces story lines under the old Kenner POTF days;

Kyle Katarn
Clone Emperor
Dark Empire Luke
Dark Empire Leia
Phase III Dark Trooper
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Imperial Sentinel
Mara Jade

recent additions would be the Black Series;

Mara Jade
Starkiller

Reaction score
Other than the other Force Unleashed figures like Juno, you might also want to add the Shadows of the Empire EU like Prince Xizor, etc. That is a good starting list. though...especially with all the comic two-packs(as far back as the two VS. Shadows of The Empire sets).

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys. I already got the POTF EU figure, heir to the empire comic pack, and some SOTF figures.
Still struggle to find the others especially the expensive one lol.

Reaction score
Now that Grand Admiral Thrawn has been announced in Rebels look at the CRAZY E-Bay prices for his figures.....:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Interesting. GAT is an great character, with a cool & unique alien design. IIRC, the character has only gotten only two 3.75" releases in the modern line, right?! I.e.:

POTF2 release in the first EU wave (1998)

Comic two-pack with Talon Karrde?! (200X?)

I also have an incredible 12" Sideshow GAT that came out roughly 6-ish years ago. Greta toy, and one of my prized 12" SW figures.

Reaction score
I'm really hoping it leads to his appearance in the Movies though. Rebels is cool and all, but it still isn't the movies.

Reaction score
Question how tall are the Imperial Sentinels??? (Not the figure!)

Some sources say they are 9-10 feet tall any true to this??

I need to know for a custom project

Thanks!

Reaction score
You know, if Disney moving the old EU to Legends has given me one bit of clarity on all the EU figures I was lucky to get, I really appreciate all of them even more now. On their own, and from their respective stories, they are usually awesome, but now a lot of them also function as blank slates. I'm not a person to be too bogged down in canon, but I like to have the names and some backstory. However, now playing with my kids, I like digging out a Baron Fel figure, keeping the name, but now he basically has any backstory. Some are being re-integrated, like Thrawn, and I'm cool with that, in fact others I want to come back too (Kyle Katarn, please come back!), but for all the EU characters we own that'll never return to the main canon, I am still glad to have so any cool figures of them.

Reaction score
Agreed, I would trade teem for anything! ^

As for the Sentinels, I didn't read too much with them in it. But i do remember them supposedly being much much bigger than regular size. Another bad EU aspect TBH
But for your purposes, I think a 6" figure would likely be in scale to a 3.75" counterpart. So using a 6" Kylo Ren as a base for one would likely work to use in conjunction with a 3.75" Luke or Emperor.

Reaction score
Agreed, I would trade teem for anything! ^

As for the Sentinels, I didn't read too much with them in it. But i do remember them supposedly being much much bigger than regular size. Another bad EU aspect TBH
But for your purposes, I think a 6" figure would likely be in scale to a 3.75" counterpart. So using a 6" Kylo Ren as a base for one would likely work to use in conjunction with a 3.75" Luke or Emperor.
Thanks Masterfett!