Expanded universe figures

G

I think there is room for another wave of EU figures. Some of the KOTOR figures, Exar_Kun, Uliq etc, and definetely some of the NJO characters, an older Luke and a Jedi Mara. Certainly these would be much more useful than another Darth Vader or god forbid R2D2, I mean jesus how many times can you remake a figure with only one look.
When I came to re-do my checklist after six months out of collecting I had difficulty establishing which R2D2s I had bought, they all look so bloody similar.

Reaction score
Originally posted by speedermike:
Wow. It's amazing that two people who collect the same things could have such differnt opinions.
<font size="2" face="arial">Same here. Perhaps we collect two different things, after all? I know I collect kids' toys, not miniature movie prop replicas.

In my eyes, the "window dressing" is what makes Star Wars Star Wars. When I was a kid, I loved all of the aliens and robots and odd *****. I played with them more often than the "heroes". R2 and 3PO were always going on missions with Hammerhead or Snaggletooth. As a kid, and as an adult, I want a good mix of heroes and background guys. To me, that's what made Kenner's line so popular, and that's why we're still here today.
<font size="2" face="arial">Once again I agree. When I was a kid, the two figures that got the most "play" for me were a B-Wing Pilot and the Rebel Commando, who were a sort of Butch-and-Sundance team in the Rebellion. I made up their names and histories, they interacted with Han and Luke, it was a continuation of the movies.

The difference is that now these figures are being sold as "background" characters rather than as blank slates to play with. When every single cantina creature already has an established EU name and history, the play pattern is forced upon the kids--"Oh, Momaw Nadon is a pacifist. Teebo is a poet." These things are included on the cards, the kids are gonna listen to it.

My point is, the line is already swimming in the EU anyway, so why not put it to good use? Put EU heroes and villains in there, to encourage kids to play with these toys in play patterns outside of the movies. I guarantee it would help sell them to the under 12s, and that will help the toys stay in demand during non-movie years.

I know we've had the EU debate before, speedermike, but I always find it fascinating to discuss, and I really take no offense.

Reaction score
My main problem with the EU is it doesn't feel right. Do you remember the J De Vinge book (forgotten title)-it was absolutely awful. T Zhan's were just as bad-I can remember thinking that if that was Star Wars coming back-I'd lost interest.
I would rather see a Bea Arthur Holiday Special figure than any'Extra-Hard Imperial Psycho Trooper' that was in 'Jedi Annihilation 3'.
I like the idea posited above that when you were a kid you made up your own adventures-now it's too damn laid out in stone.
Dash Rendar is Han Solo by another name.
Xizor is an ineffectual villain.
Mara Jade is a complete joke of an idea.
Talon Karde only got called that so his ship could be called 'Wild Karde'-that's almost as bad as Hannibal the Cannibal or Cyrus the Virus!

Reaction score
I can't buy every figure I want, so it's not like I'm a completist who will get anything with "Star Wars" slapped on it, but as far as I'm concerned, Hasbro could release a Jedi figure with a blue giraffe head and neck, and I'd most likely buy it just 'cause it's a blue-furred alien giraffe Jedi, and I'm pro EU figures anyways, so you have my vote for more EU.

Reaction score
I like what's in the movies, but the EU is still not too bad. Lot of cool characters I'd like to see made into figures.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jango-Matt:
I love EU figs, particularly the Dark Trooper and Mr. Kyle Katarn. I still need that Dark Trooper.

I don't think they should be as heavily focused on as the movie figs, but it's nice to see them made in some respect. Don't leave them out, they are part of the Star Wars universe to.
<font size="2" face="arial">It would be nice to see a Jedi Outcast Set!

Reaction score
Originally posted by darthgary:
My main problem with the EU is it doesn't feel right. Do you remember the J De Vinge book (forgotten title)-it was absolutely awful. T Zhan's were just as bad-I can remember thinking that if that was Star Wars coming back-I'd lost interest.
I would rather see a Bea Arthur Holiday Special figure than any'Extra-Hard Imperial Psycho Trooper' that was in 'Jedi Annihilation 3'.
I like the idea posited above that when you were a kid you made up your own adventures-now it's too damn laid out in stone.
Dash Rendar is Han Solo by another name.
Xizor is an ineffectual villain.
Mara Jade is a complete joke of an idea.
Talon Karde only got called that so his ship could be called 'Wild Karde'-that's almost as bad as Hannibal the Cannibal or Cyrus the Virus!
<font size="2" face="arial">It's nice of you to express your opinion, but I totally disagree. Think of it this way: What happens when EpIII comes out? No more new characters. No more new ships. No more new weapons. No more Star Wars. EU expands the SW Universe. If lucas won't do it, someone has to.

Reaction score
Some Vong figures would be cool, especially if they did an older Jedi Luke. And now that Mara Jade has an actual appearance (Shannon Baksa from the WOTC CCG) they could do a better figure of her as well. However, I don't think we'll see much EU until Episode III is finished.