Ewoks and Droids cartoons

Reaction score
You're welcome - you can download them for free, you just have to wait between downloads...its like any other large file hosting site. When I originally found these posted online, I just downloaded a few episodes a day to watch them...
wink.gif

Looks like you said you could download them for free above.

Reaction score
Did you actually read what I wrote before you commented? I said "The episodes recorded from TV arent in violation of copyright law, they fall under 'fair use'." So if I or anyone else wants to record a tv show, its fair use and there is nothing illegal about it. I didnt mention uploading anything - so you can save the preaching. Not to mention, there is a difference between uploading something to youtube, when the copyright holder has the right to remove if they want to (notice LFL isnt asking for them to be removed), peer-to-peer transfers, uploading to a private site and inviting individuals that you know to download it, and then the major difference - reproducing the material for a profit.

If you read Title 17 of the US Code, you'll see that some of the wording is deliberately ambiguous as to allow a judge to determine a finding on a case-by-case basis. So you cant say fair use would 'never apply', its not your determination to make - unless you're sitting on the federal bench.

Anyway, this thread is actually for the discussion of the series, not a legal debate - so dont upload, download, or view them if you dont want to, but dont tell anyone else what to do, okay? Thanks.

I read what you wrote. Recording episodes from TV and watching them in your own home isn't infringement. That's not what I said - Uploading or downloading them are copyright infringement regardless of what the source is if it's not licensed for distribution. Rebelscum is one of the upstanding sites online. They don't put up with people posting auctions but are okay with posts encouraging piracy against a film franchise we all enjoy? I don't get it . What you wrote was that people can "download them for free. By the way, you don't have to reproduce material for profit to be in violation of copyright infringement. No monetary gain is just as liable. FYI.

So it's not okay for me to post my feelings about the law but it's ok for you to post your feelings about telling people to download the tv series?

Think about it - if you made something for your job would you want people to take it for free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are coming off as some kinda Lucas suit dude. Wait...you are not a Lucas Lawyer are you? I have always said stealing is bad...i'd never do that!!!! :friendly_wink:

Last edited:
Reaction score
CorvetteEB - I'm trying to send you a PM, and I was given this error "CorvetteEB has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space".

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know Darth - I made some room. Try sending again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would be nice if LFL would just release the series on DVD, I was never able to find them the first time.

Reaction score
Yes, but the DVDs at least contained four episodes that had previously never been available before, the Mungo Baobab story arc (minus the Great Heap, which I REALLY want to see on DVD or blu ray).

Reaction score
Nope. Those DVD's were a joke. I got them when they came out but gave them away to my niece and nephew because I could not bare to watch them more than once. There is no good reason for the full series of both of these shows to not be available on DVD.

Reaction score
I wanted to go into more detail re: my last post when I said that, IMHO, these Ewoks/Droids cartoons were superior to the current CW cartoon:

- I freely admit that a lot of my enjoyment/like of these shows is nostalgic, since I saw them as a kid on their original release.

- Being a huge OT fan, I enjoyed the inclusion of Boba Fett, Sy Snootles, some of the OT SW vehicles, etc. in the Droids series.

- The time period between Ep. III & Ep. IV is one of my favorite EU time periods (second only to the time period between Ep. IV & Ep. V).

- The animation on both shows was amazing & quite innovative. Here is a link to a 1985 article in "Bantha Tracks" regarding these shows - note they go into detail re: all the work that was put into the animation:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/specialreports/banthatracks/archives/banthatracks29.pdf

Conversely, when it comes to CW:

- I have seen the 2008 CW film and some of the episodes, and I find the animation very "blocky" (if you know what I mean) and bland. It reminds me of a video game from years ago called "Tekken", where the characters' movements seemed very fake. This may just be me, though. Of course, cartoons are intentionally fake anyway, but I just don't think the animation in CW is that imaginative. (I didn't like the film "Avatar" either, and felt the effects were overrated despite the accolades it received - the movie reminded me of one long video game).

- The time period between Episodes II & III are not that interesting to me (I'm much more of an OT fan).

In closing, I know there are people out there who prefer CW to Ewoks/Droids. However, I'm also fairly certain that a lot of people haven't seen a good, quality release of Droids/Ewoks since there's nothing really available out there (I'm not counting the 2004 DVD's). So, if Ewoks/Droids were given a definitive DVD release with cleaned-up picture/unedited episodes/original music & everyone were given the opportunity to watch the entire series, would those who prefer CW to Droids/Ewoks still feel the same way?! Unfortunately we may never find out.

Side-note: I did like the 2002? - 2004/2005 CW cartoons, and felt that animation was incredible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@ThallJoben: You're not alone. I 100% agree with you. TCW doesn't hold a candle to Droids, Ewoks, or the Clone Wars microseries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
I would love some of what you two are smoking. Look I love Droids and Ewoks but I can at least admit that they are very much not really that good. There are a hand full of episodes that borderline good but both of those series have been historically frowned upon by the bulk of Star Wars fans. I watched them both every Saturday morning durring their original broadcast run and still have my VHS tapes to prove it (no VCR though). More and more people have warmed up to them over time and have become nostalgic for them but back in the day they were pretty much looked at as a joke almost as equal to the Holiday Special. That said I would still pony up for a set if they were released and be proud to own them because I LOVE STAR WARS.

IMHO The Clone Wars wins in just every aspect...Animation, Music, Story, Voice Acting...

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
IMHO The Clone Wars wins in just every aspect...Animation, Music, Story, Voice Acting...

Animation: Blocky, cheap looking, unrealistic, bland, no style.
Music: This ain't no John Williams. Then again, I'm a music major, so I'm a lot more critical of film music than most people.
Story: This has improved, but for the most part the stories are overly simplistic and cater to the kiddies. If you want good sci fi storytelling watch Star Trek TNG or DS9.
Voice Acting: Nothing special here. None of the main cast are all that special. If you want good voice acting watch Batman: The Animated Series.

Now, as far as Droids go, I consider it to be an improvement over TCW in all 4 of these areas. The animation is so much more creative and stylistic, it's not bland looking like TCW. The music has got that classic 80's vibe. Story wise, there were some rather poorly written episodes, the first few in particular were not my favorite. But the Pirates and the Prince episodes were better, and the last 6 episodes with Mungo Baobab were terrific! They managed to capture the fun and adventurous feel of the original films, and they introduced us to new characters and another side of the Star Wars. My favorite character of all time, Admiral Screed, was featured as one of the main antagonists of the series. Plus, Anthony Daniels reprised his role as C-3PO. There's a lot to love about the 80's SW cartoons, and there's a lot to not love about the current show.

Reaction score
Animation: Blocky, cheap looking, unrealistic, bland, no style.
Music: This ain't no John Williams. Then again, I'm a music major, so I'm a lot more critical of film music than most people.
Story: This has improved, but for the most part the stories are overly simplistic and cater to the kiddies. If you want good sci fi storytelling watch Star Trek TNG or DS9.
Voice Acting: Nothing special here. None of the main cast are all that special. If you want good voice acting watch Batman: The Animated Series.

Now, as far as Droids go, I consider it to be an improvement over TCW in all 4 of these areas. The animation is so much more creative and stylistic, it's not bland looking like TCW. The music has got that classic 80's vibe. Story wise, there were some rather poorly written episodes, the first few in particular were not my favorite. But the Pirates and the Prince episodes were better, and the last 6 episodes with Mungo Baobab were terrific! They managed to capture the fun and adventurous feel of the original films, and they introduced us to new characters and another side of the Star Wars. My favorite character of all time, Admiral Screed, was featured as one of the main antagonists of the series. Plus, Anthony Daniels reprised his role as C-3PO. There's a lot to love about the 80's SW cartoons, and there's a lot to not love about the current show.

Anthony Daniels reprises his role as C-3PO in the Clone Wars and I just do not get how you could say that the writing of TCW is overly simplistic and caters to the kiddies and site Droids and Ewoks as a counter argument. Sorry the Clone Wars stories and writing are more and more becoming for a more adult audience. You really need to go and watch season 2 and 3 in their entirety and then come back and we can continue this debate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've watched all of season 1 and 2, and half of season 3. I acknowledge that it has significantly improved, but overall it's still kind of bland. It's not like a lot of other great sci fi shows. The heroes aren't endearing. The villains aren't threatening (with a couple exceptions). I tried watching the malevolence trilogy yesterday because I got the season sets as gifts awhile back, and I was so bored by it all that after the first 2 episodes of the trilogy I got tired of it and stopped watching. The only people I can see enjoying this drivel are 5 year olds.
Go and watch some episodes of Star Trek: TNG, and then try and tell me that TCW is still a good show.

Reaction score
^
Wait I thought we were comparing Droids and Ewoks to Clone Wars not Star Trek: TNG. I have seen every episode of every season of Star Trek: TNG and i will give no argument that it is a good sci-fi show. Comparing it to Clone Was is apples and oranges. They are nothing alike. Clone Wars is more of an action / adventure series just as Star Wars as a whole is.

The heroes aren't endearing. The villains aren't threatening (with a couple exceptions)

And the Heroes and Villains on Droids and the Ewoks cartoons were?

Oh well I am not going to spend any more of my time trying to convert you to the Dark Side. I love Star Wars and it is hard for me to imagine that anyone else that claims to could so quickly dismiss some of the best Star Wars that has been done since the OT. Clone Wars hits the nail on the Star Wars head so much more often than the Prequels ever did. I think the animation is just as artistically stylized as Droids and Ewoks ever was and it is ten times more beautiful. Sorry you don't agree....maybe in 25 years when it is old enough for you to be nostalgic over you will warm up to what is right now a terrific show.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
Wait I thought we were comparing Droids and Ewoks to Clone Wars not Star Trek: TNG. I have seen every episode of every season of Star Trek: TNG and i will give no argument that it is a good sci-fi show. Comparing it to Clone Was is apples and oranges. They are nothing alike. Clone Wars is more of an action / adventure series just as Star Wars as a whole is.

And the Heroes and Villains on Droids and the Ewoks cartoons were?

Oh well I am not going to spend any more of my time trying to convert you to the Dark Side. I love Star Wars and it is hard for me to imagine that anyone else that claims to could so quickly dismiss some of the best Star Wars that has been done since the OT. Clone Wars hits the nail on the Star Wars head so much more often than the Prequels ever did. I think the animation is just as artistically stylized as Droids and Ewoks ever was and it is ten times more beautiful. Sorry you don't agree....maybe in 25 years when it is old enough for you to be nostalgic over you will warm up to what is right now a terrific show.

The point I was trying to get across with the TNG comparison was that TNG had a terrific cast and great writing. That's where I feel TCW is most lacking. I could get past the blocky animation and the not so great voice acting if it meant I could care about the characters and be engaged in the stories.
And yes, Droids had both of these elements; good heroes (C-3PO, R2-D2, Mungo Baobab, Jan Tosh,) and good villains (Admiral Screed, the Great Heap, Gaff, Governor Koong, Boba Fett, Kybo Ren Cha) . And the show retained the fun and adventurous spirit of the original films. I honestly can't understand why so many people disliked Droids. Sure the first story arc was pretty lacklucster, but after that the show really picked up. The last 6 episodes of the series were absolutely fantastic!
And don't count on me liking TCW in 25 years. I hoped that after 3 years the show might start to grow on me, but no, it hasn't.
And speaking of TCW animation, what about it do you find so artistic? To me it just looks like cut scenes from N64 or Gamecube.
Overall, I have to say that despite their many shortcomings, I would gladly watch the prequels over TCW. The prequels at least had good visual effects, and I found the human characters of the prequels to be more engaging than the animated characters of TCW. Although you should take that with a grain of salt. In no way am I saying that I like the heroes and villains of the prequels, I'm only saying that in comparison to TCW they're more interesting.

Reaction score
Can you post a link to this "Clone Wars roundtable" discussion?
No one insults my Droids and Ewoks cartoons and lives to tell about it. :mad:

Reaction score
^
I think it is only available through the Forcecast smart phone app right now but it should be up on forcecast.net by the end of the day. They do their share of bashing this weeks Clone Wars also though.

Reaction score
I'm listening to the roundtable now via Stitcher Radio on my phone right now.

Yeah there's a lot of hatin' going on in this discussion... it's rare for the CW Roundtables to be this down on the show. Big Honkin' is being more positive about it for sure while Jason and the other guy are crapping all over it.

Reaction score
I'm listening to the roundtable now via Stitcher Radio on my phone right now.

Yeah there's a lot of hatin' going on in this discussion... it's rare for the CW Roundtables to be this down on the show. Big Honkin' is being more positive about it for sure while Jason and the other guy are crapping all over it.

The last couple round tables without Jimmy really prove he is the glue that holds The Podcasts together. Jason really goes off on tangents when Jimmy is not around to keep him on task.

Reaction score
Agreed. Jimmy Mac needed to be there even if it meant a tardy recording of the roundtable for this episode because he's definitely the sunshine to Jason's rain cloud. I admit I didn't like "Mercy Mission" all that much... but it was painful to hear John and Jason ripping it to shreds and to listen to a lot of BS not pertaining to Clone Wars. Okay so Jimmy couldn't be there, but I wish they had gotten Kyle Newman into the roundtable (instead of joking about it) because he would have made a good back-up foil to all the criticsm.

Reaction score
From what I've seen on this board & others, there is enough of a small but loyal fanbase of Droids/Ewoks that any kind of harsh criticism of these shows is irrelevant; due to the limited & non-availability (mainly non) of these shows on DVD, I also venture to guess that some of those who are criticizing these show(s) haven't even seen them.

To add to this, it's extremely difficult to defend a TV show that isn't available for people to watch in high-quality; I'm obviously not counting the sub-par Droids/Ewoks VHS tapes or the 2004 DVD's, either.

EDIT:

To make an analogy: About 10+ years ago I watched the Coen Brothers first film Blood Simple on a crummy pan & scan VHS tape on a CRT TV - after seeing this, I thought the film was sub-par & one of their lesser films (I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan, but that's another thread). Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I re-watched the Blood Simple Anamorphic Widescreen DVD on my LED Widescreen TV. Man, what a huge difference. This time around, I felt the film was brilliant, and I now rank it as one of my favorite Coen Bros. films.

So, bringing this back to Droids/Ewoks: Since the show is not available in it's entirety in a high-quality format, I don't see how anyone can really judge this. If you're watching these shows on either old VHS tapes that the shows were taped on back in the day, the '80's/'90's official release VHS tapes, or any DVD's that are out there (the official 2004 DVD's or otherwise), the quality will, overall, be far inferior to a potential good, complete DVD release. So, viewing the show(s) this way may in many cases affect your judgement/opinion of the material.

For this very reason, I haven't seen these shows in many years - I was considering buying the 2004 DVD's until I found out they were incomplete & edited versions of some of the episodes.

Just my .02...

Last edited:
Reaction score
To add to this, it's extremely difficult to defend a TV show that isn't available for most people to watch - I'm not counting sub-par Droids/Ewoks VHS tapes or the 2004 DVD's, either.
I have bootleg DVDs of the entire Droids series. It's nice to own them but the quality is such crap (they're recorded-off-TV-burned-to-disc transfers) I can only wish the show will someday get an official LFL release in a complete run boxed set. Not holding my breath though. :(

Reaction score
Anyone else want to start an online petition for full season DVDs? Perhaps I could do a Rebelscum poll as well...

Reaction score
To make an analogy: About 10+ years ago I watched the Coen Brothers first film Blood Simple on a crummy pan & scan VHS tape on a CRT TV - after seeing this, I thought the film was sub-par & one of their lesser films (I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan, but that's another thread). Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I re-watched the Blood Simple Anamorphic Widescreen DVD on my LED Widescreen TV. Man, what a huge difference. This time around, I felt the film was brilliant, and I now rank it as one of my favorite Coen Bros. films.

So, bringing this back to Droids/Ewoks: Since the show is not available in it's entirety in a high-quality format, I don't see how anyone can really judge this. If you're watching these shows on either old VHS tapes that the shows were taped on back in the day, the '80's/'90's official release VHS tapes, or any DVD's that are out there (the official 2004 DVD's or otherwise), the quality will, overall, be far inferior to a potential good, complete DVD release. So, viewing the show(s) this way may in many cases affect your judgement/opinion of the material.

For this very reason, I haven't seen these shows in many years - I was considering buying the 2004 DVD's until I found out they were incomplete & edited versions of some of the episodes.

Just my .02...

There is a chap on this board that would beg to differ and insists that the most important thing is the content not the quality. My argument is that if the delivery of the content is crap then it greatly effects the enjoyment of the over all property but he refused to agree with me on that point. Oh well I still think i'm right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is a chap on this board that would beg to differ and insists that the most important thing is the content not the quality. My argument is that if the delivery of the content is crap then it greatly effects the enjoyment of the over all property but he refused to agree with me on that point. Oh well I still think i'm right.

That's a good point. Although I love the theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy, I can't stand to watch the 95' VHS tapes because of the fuzzy picture and the awful sound. It really takes me out of the movies and makes them seem dated, especially in today's age where everything is in High Definition.

@Darth Sidious: That's a great idea! I would be happy to sign a petition or participate in a poll to support releasing the Droids and Ewoks cartoons in their entirety.

Reaction score
Although I tend to agree overall that quality of artifice and substance work best when they are at their best, there is an argument to be made for entertainment that is on the opposite ends of the spectrum, or rather at least "art" on opposite ends of the spectrum. So you have art that is almost all form and that which is minimalist in its form but sustains itself through its content alone. I also think that often we might start out being bothered but something in the quality of the image let's say but once we get into it we tend to be able to look past it somewhat, perhaps never perfectly, and perhaps to the overall detriment to the experience of the content, but perhaps not enough in some cases to truly ruin the content. So I think that if one were to put on those old VHS tapes on a black and white TV, at first you'd feel a distance, but if probably the longer you stuck with it, the more engaged you became in the story and characters, the less you'd notice it or be bothered by it. Though perhaps there is something of individual tolerance levels for this. I know that sometimes I will love something up and down and a colleague of mine will point out things that bother them with it, usually in the form (not content) that I never noticed and that, often, still don't bother me after being pointed out.

Reaction score
Anyone else want to start an online petition for full season DVDs? Perhaps I could do a Rebelscum poll as well...

I second this excellent idea. I would also be very happy to participate in a poll and/or sign a petition to support releasing the Droids/Ewoks cartoons in their entirety.

I know I've mentioned this here before, but it's been a while; here is what I think should be included in any potential Droids/Ewoks complete DVD release:

Droids Boxed Set

- Every episode from the first and only season (1985-1986) with all of the commercials edited out, with the best possible picture/sound. This should also include the TV special "The Great Heep" (1986). Also, the original theme song "Trouble Again" should be included.

Ewoks Boxed Set

- Every episode from both seasons (1985-1986, 1986-1987), with all of the commercials edited out, with the best possible picture/sound. As with Droids, the original theme song(s)should be included.

Special Features in each Boxed set

- At the least, they should include the short animated sequence from the infamous late '70's "SW Holiday Special". This featured Boba Fett, and was a good story (by all accounts - I saw it once when it came out, but have very dim memories of this). The same animation company that did this sequence also did the Droids & Ewoks cartoon (Nelvana!?), so this would be completely appropriate. I know this cartoon is supposed to be included as an "Easter Egg" in one of the new SW Blu-ray sets (those that have these can verify), but I still think it should be included on these sets as well, in full-screen format.

I suspect that if LFlm. ever releases these, they would be released together in one large boxed set (instead of separate Droids & Ewoks sets).

Also, to add to the conversation/debate re: picture quality when watching TV/movies (both in general, and re: Droids/Ewoks), it all really depends on what you're used to. Back in the '80's and '90's, pan & scan VHS tapes were fine since that's all we had. I laugh now when I think back to the '95 re-releases of the OOT on THX VHS tape - at that time, they were being touted as the "best" releases of the films, and I guess they were up to that point. However, though those tapes were fine then, in my particular case I got spoiled when I saw the Special Edition OT films from January - March of '97 in the theatre with great sound and cleaned-up picture. After that, I could not go back to those sub-par tapes (nor did I get the later VHS tapes of the SE's). In fact, after seeing these films in the theatre in '97 I didn't see the OT again until the 2004 DVD's were released - I just couldn't stand to watch the films any other way.

As I posted on another thread on this board, the rising popularity of DVD's (with cleaned-up picture/enhanced sound) in the past 10+ years & the rising popularity of widescreen, high-def TV's have really educated/spoiled most people (including most definitely myself) in regards to picture/sound quality.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think one reason Droids was rumoured to be difficult to release (Ewoks doesn't share the same excuse as far as I'm aware) is that there are copyright issues around the Stewart Copeland score, no? Maybe just a rumour?

I do think sound/image quality makes a difference but I think our brains adapt as we engage with something and we can overlook lesser quality in a sort of automatic way. I mean, I'm not sure we can say with any certainty that audiences today are more engaged with and benefit from the quality of the image and sound versus those who grew up with black and white TVs or VHS or even those that might watch films etc on small mobile devices. It may be the case but I'm not sure. It would be interesting to somehow test this theory.

Reaction score
I'll watch crap when crap is all that is available but its still crap. They all sense it Sinkie; why can't you?

I won't just be happy with what I can get when a better version can and shoudl be availible.