Ewoks and Droids cartoons

Reaction score
I'm sure that there must be other people on here have fond memories of these shows. Personally, I remember first hearing about these shows in Bantha Tracks. I seem to remember several issues talking about them being in production and showing info about when they would be first airing. When the morning came for the first episodes to air, I was up at about 5AM waiting for Dad to tune them in on the satalite dish. My first impression was that they were exciting, but a little disappointing too. It was fun to see Star Wars continuing and introducing new characters, but there were also some annoying things too (R2-D2 breakdancing, R2's girlfriend, Ewoks that looked nothing like they did in ROTJ). But I eventually got over any disappointments and actually felt sad when both series came to an end. Today these shows and the toys that came along with them are a nostalgic reminder of what Star Wars was for a kid growing up back in the '80's. Now with the new TV series running, it seems appropriate to look back on the originals. Sure kids of today's generation have heroes like Captain Rex and Ahsoka, but for old guys like me they can never measure up to the coolness of Thall Joben and Jord Dusat!
Anyway, if anyone has some positive memories of these shows that they would like to share, I would like to hear them!

Reaction score
1985-2010: The 25th anniversary of Ewoks and Droids. Will we see anything to mark the occasion this year? What would you like to see? I'm hoping for complete series DVD's. What better time to put them out than the 25th anniversary?

Reaction score
In the 2004 DVD's we were given edited versions of select episodes. The Droids DVD omitted 7 episodes (including the 2 part special The Great Heep), and the Ewoks DVD omitted 27 episodes. The old DVD's were never really considered satisfactory by most fans from the get go. Lots of people, including myself, were especially disappointed that the Droids DVD didn't include episodes 1-4, which featured Thall Joben, Jord Dusat, the Fromm Gang and Boba Fett. These are arguably considered the best episodes of the series, but have still yet to make it to DVD.
Ideally, it would be nice if a complete series Droids DVD could include the Boba Fett cartoon segment from the Holiday Special as a special feature. It was made by the same studio, and the designs of characters like Boba Fett and C-3PO heavily influenced how they appeared in Droids.

Reaction score
They should combine both series into a single boxed set, with retro packaging and clipart - if the Smurfs get to be on DVD, we should have the Droids and Ewoks!

Lex

Reaction score
You're also forgetting that they removed the original score and replaced it with really crappy music which doesn't fit into what's happening at all. I've watched Droids DVD once and I can't watch it ever again, utter garbage. Also I hated the way they put the episodes in two longer "movies". LFL can't put any DVDs out that haven't been tampered with.

Reaction score
Hockey_History said:
1985-2010: The 25th anniversary of Ewoks and Droids. Will we see anything to mark the occasion this year? What would you like to see? I'm hoping for complete series DVD's. What better time to put them out than the 25th anniversary?

I would definitely like to see that. I'm tired of watching low-quality recordings on Youtube. Give us the real thing, LFL!

Reaction score
Even though these toons were a bit before my time I have very fond memories of all these guys, Thall Joben, Wicket, pirates, ect. Lots of nostolgia there! Not sure if we'll see any kind of 25th ann. bash (action figures, DVDs, ect). but good 'ol Thall Joben is one of the very few confirmed characters set to appear in the LATV series! Hopefully in the next few years we might see the release of more of the classic episodes, especially with the Clone Wars being so popular with kids.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined this board, and this is my first post (though I've been reading these forums for years).

As you can see from my screen name, I'm a fan of The Droids cartoon, and also the Ewoks cartoon. I really enjoyed these when they were on back in the '80's. Droids especially resonated because they used characters/situations that were already established in the SW universe like Boba Fett, Sy Snootles, some of the vehicles, etc. The theme song "Trouble Again" was also very memorable.

Ewoks was also a great cartoon, though I didn't see as many of these episodes. Though it seemed much more oriented towards children than Droids, it was a great show, and I liked how it created a whole culture for the Ewoks that we didn't see in the films.

Also, it's worth noting that these shows were out at a time when SW fandom was slowly dying. ROTJ had come out in 1983 (two years before these cartoons), and, with no new films expected, there was very little new material out there. So, I credit these shows with keeping the SW Universe alive during this time (at least to some extent).

That all being said, a complete DVD release of all of the episodes from each show is long overdue (I'm not counting the sub-par 2004 releases). It's a real shame that these haven't been released already, especially since so many other, less deserving TV shows/cartoons are now on DVD.

IMHO, here's what a a DVD release of both shows should include:

Droids Boxed Set

- Every episode from the first and only season (1985-1986) with all of the commercials edited out. This should also include the hour-long TV special "The Great Heep" (1986).

Also, the original theme song "Trouble Again" should be included.

Ewoks Boxed Set

- Every episode from both seasons (1985-1986, 1986-1987), with all of the commercials edited out.

As with Droids, the original theme song should be included.

Special Features in each Boxed set

- At the least, they should include the short animated sequence from the infamous "SW Holiday Special" (late '70's). This featured Boba Fett, and was a good story, (by all accounts). The same animation company that did this sequence also did the Droids & Ewoks cartoon (Nelvana - sp?), so this would be completely appropriate.

Here's hoping we see these DVD's at some point soon. I agree that since 2010 is the 25th anniversary of both of these shows, now would be the perfect time for this release.

Also, I wanted to add that if these DVD's are ever produced, I would be willing to buy them bundled together or separately. However, for those fans who are only interested in one of the shows, I agree that packaging them separately is probably prefereable.

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! Good username by the way!
I agree with all your thoughts on complete DVD sets of Droids and Ewoks. That animated segment from the Holiday Special should be a must for the Droids set, since this would probably be the only opportunity to ever have it released.
One more thing that I would like to see if these shows are released again is for Lucasfilm to put out a high quality version of the shows. If you watch the original DVD's, you can see glitches and things that need to be touched up. But even without touch ups, I still want new DVD's!

Reaction score
I think the Holiday Special cartoon would make a nice addition to a boxed set, because I cant think of many other extra features the set(s) would come with.

Reaction score
Re: Ewoks and Droids cartoons- 25th Anniversary 2010

For those of you that enjoyed the Droids & Ewoks cartoons as a kid, and want to learn more about the Star Wars Comics Spain PVC figures - I decided to create a blog which will cover the entire line and also work as a photo archive. I will highlight every known variation in the line, as well as the repaints. I will also show all the Star Tours PVC figures and list how they can be distinguished from the Comics Spain line. I'll be updating the blog a few times a week throughout the summer until it is complete.

http://starwarscomicsspain.blogspot.com

PS- Hey Lucasfilm, bring on the boxed set of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons already!

Reaction score

PS- Hey Lucasfilm, bring on the boxed set of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons already!

[/QUOTE]

I second that!

Reaction score

For anyone that is interested, the folks over at the Republic Forces Radio Network podcast series are filling the gap between seasons 2 and 3 of the Clone Wars by doing retrospective episode by episode reviews and discussions of the Droids series (with Ewoks to follow at some point). There's some good info to be had there - a bunch of stuff I certainly didn't know about the shows anyways. You may wish to check it out.

Reaction score

Those are great! Thanks for pointing out those podcasts!

Reaction score

It's a rainy Friday afternoon Down Under and me and my two children are stuck indoors with the home theater to keep us occupied. Looking through my DVD collection, my four year old son found, tucked up the back my 2004 "Droids" DVD that I picked up from grocery store almost by accident.

I have fond memories of this series. I was in my final year at elementary school when "Droids" first aired on Australian TV. It aired on a Saturday morning and, given that Star Wars was in decline by that stage, my younger brother and I lapped it up.

Fast forward to today - like this moment - and I am pleasantly surprised to find that my four year old loves it! Sure it's very 80's but it's very Star Wars.

I am surprised to find several hints of design in Droids that appear to have found their way into the prequel series. The most blarant example of this of this is a very familiar looking mono cycle that is hands down a cartoon version of Greivous' own from Episode 3.

Droids is another example of Star Wars that you wouldn't be caught dead watchng in your 20's or single years - but once you have kids - series like this can really bring back the love for the quirkier sides of the franchise.

As I find myself saying more and more "Come On Bro - It's the Wars!"

Reaction score
Re: Ewoks and Droids cartoons- 25th Anniversary 20

Happy 25th indeed Ewoks and Droids!

Reaction score

Happy Birthday, "Ewoks" and "Droids" - I remember first watching these shows when they originally aired in Fall 1985. I can't believe it's been 25 years - amazing.

As I mentioned before, it's about time Lflm. released the entire series of both "Ewoks" and "Droids" on DVD.

And, just for the record, I will gladly admit that if these are released on DVD, I will happily sit down and watch them all. I actually think these cartoons are superior to the current "Clone Wars" carton, both from the animation and story aspects.

Reaction score

Thanks, dude! I've got Thall Joben and Kia Moll around somewhere; as soon as I find them I'll put them up.

Reaction score

Great pic! Thanks for posting this. I'ts nice that these "Droids" and "Ewoks" shows still have fans, even though they're quite obscure these days, especially considering the popularity of the current CW cartoon.

Reaction score

I was watchin a few Droids episodes online and I want to know when these will be on DVD?! Especially the first 3 episodes with Thall and his rad mohawk.

Reaction score

I'd buy them faster than the Millennium Falcon could make the Kessel Run. The Holliday Special Animated segment would be a great bonus.

Reaction score

Darth_Engelhast said:
I'd buy them faster than the Millennium Falcon could make the Kessel Run. The Holliday Special Animated segment would be a great bonus.

I concur. I still don't understand why it's taking so long for Lflm. to come out with these DVD's. This is especially strange since much more more obscure TV shows are already out on DVD, i.e. "Max Headroom", "Daria: The Complete Animated series", "Street Hawk", "Tales of the Gold Monkey", etc. If these shows that have been forgotten by most these days are on DVD, I don't understand why Ewoks/Droids still haven't been released; I mean, I know there are a lot of fans out there who probably haven't even seen these shows since they're too young, but I would think the SW name would be enough to justify this. And, based on what I see when I look on SW forums discussing these (like this one), there is definitely a fan base out there for these cartoons that IMHO would guarentee solid sales for any potential DVD releases.

Reaction score

I'd happily buy the complete series of both DROIDS and EWOKS in a heartbeat if they'd release them to DVD... but I don't have high hopes it will actually happen.
frown.gif

Reaction score

These series absolutely NEED to be released in their entirety on Blu Ray! To me, they're a part of my SW canon. I grew loved them when I first discovered them, and still do.

Reaction score

No need to release them on blu ray really. This kind of animation does not gain or loose much quality in standard def to high def. I doubt they even exist in high definition anywhere anyway.

Reaction score

Darth_Engelhast said:
No need to release them on blu ray really. This kind of animation does not gain or loose much quality in standard def to high def. I doubt they even exist in high definition anywhere anyway.

I have to disagree there. Disney's done a great job of restoring some of their older animated films (ie. Snow White, Pinocchio) to high def for Blu Ray releases. I have no doubt Lucasfilm can do the same.
wink.gif

Reaction score

The_Chosen_1 said:
Darth_Engelhast said:

I have to disagree there. Disney's done a great job of restoring some of their older animated films (ie. Snow White, Pinocchio) to high def for Blu Ray releases. I have no doubt Lucasfilm can do the same.
wink.gif

Huge, huge difference my friend. With the Disney stuff we are talking about animation that was actually SHOT to film. Since they are already on film and there is a film master it is just an issue of re-scanning the master in high resolution and doing the clean up. Something you can’t do with video taped material. Most TV animation’s direct output at that period of time was to video. Heck even Simpson’s and Family Guy just fairly recently went high def. The seasons of those shows prior to that move will NEVER turn up in high def versions because it would be way to costly to go back and frame by frame, cell by cell re-shoot in high def. Sure they could up convert them but they would never be true 1080p.

Bottom line is the bottom line. Even if Lucas still has every cell of animation and wanted to go back and re-shoot them in high def it would be so costly that I doubt very much he ever would bother. With the Disney films the money spent to clean those up can be justified and made up by the profit of future sales. Disney films are timeless American classics that are deserving of such a restoration…can you HONESTLY say the same about Ewok and Droids?

Reaction score

I forgot to add that the other big difference when we get down to quality is with the Disney films we are talking about are shaded and thematically lit paintings with rich and dense backgrounds with many levels of shading and detail. With the Droids and Ewoks cartoons we are talking about animation with little to no shading on the main characters and backgrounds. The only noticeable difference between standard and high def would be the edge lines of the drawings being a bit less jagged when viewed on a high definition screen. I also was not implying that there is NEVER a difference between low def and high def when it comes to animation but for most TV series quality animation there really is not much.

Reaction score

You're obviously more of an expert on the subject than I am, thanks for taking the time to explain. I wasn't implying that the Ewoks and Droids cartoons are "American classics" on par with Disney films, but apparently I was unaware of the difference in filming process between film and television animation.

My overall hope is that it would be nice to see a complete, as-cleaned-up-as-possible release of the entire run of both shows, whether that means a Blu-ray, DVD, or online release.

Reaction score

I’m no expert. I just listen to a lot of commentary tracks. It’s not an easy set to come by because it never got an official release but the commentary track by the creators of the animated MTV series "Downtown" gives some pretty good info on the whole video-mastering process.

Reaction score

Good to see this thread is alive, I'd really like to own these on DVD one day, the DVDs we already have didnt do either series justice.

Reaction score

This would be a great gift to us from LFL. All the episodes, both series, on DVD with a little bit of added extras would be all I could ask for. Maybe round up a few of the animators or voice actors, have they say a little bit about making the shows. I think any more than that would get expensive and make people think twice about producing these boxed sets.

Reaction score

DarthBobul said:
This would be a great gift to us from LFL. All the episodes, both series, on DVD with a little bit of added extras would be all I could ask for. Maybe round up a few of the animators or voice actors, have they say a little bit about making the shows. I think any more than that would get expensive and make people think twice about producing these boxed sets.

The Ewoks set would be a good place for them to stick the "Return of the Ewok" documentary.

A new Interview and perhaps a couple comentaries with Anthony Daniels on the Droids set would be great also.