Everything live-action?

Reaction score
I've got two visual dictionaries released in the Disney era and something really bugs me about them. I didn't expect the old EU to appear in them and am fine with that, but these books insist on giving the cgi cartoons as much importance or even more than the live-action films. Granted, there are many hours between TCW, Rebels and now Resistance. They include many fan favorite characters and designs and I dig them for the most part. It's just really jarring to see an overview of creatures or combat helmets and notice a blatantly low-detail cartoon model among the live-action and high-grade photo-real cgi. It gets even worse with cases like Bail Organa, who is represented by a TCW screencap instead of RotS or AotC.

Long story short, I don't like this mixture of graphic styles in one work and would prefer to check out media with a coherent realistic style.
Thus, I stumbled upon the live-action cut scenes of the games Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire. Granted, those use 90's cgi for everything but the humans, but they're still cool to see. The real footage of people helps to get that SW feeling tremendously.

This got me interested in checking out anything else that uses live-action footage for its (human) characters. I know of the following so far:

Episodes I-IX
Solo
Rogue One
The Holiday Special
Ewok Adventures: Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor
Star Tours and the Adventures Continue
Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
(upcoming) The Mandalorian
(upcoming) The Captain Cassian and Kaytoo Show

Honorable mention for games that look close to photo-real (if only in the cut scenes) and base the character models on their voice actors.

The Force Unleashed I & II
The Old Republic intro trailers
Battlefront 1 & 2 (Dice)
Jedi Fallen Order

And another honorable mention for character appearances outside of official SW works, but starring the same actors.

Mark Hammil with the Muppets
Adam Driver and Donald Glover in character at SNL

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's cool! The more I explore of the old EU, the more hidden gems are revealed, I especially like much of the stuff released between RotJ and the SEs. It all felt very grounded in the OT, naturally since the PT aesthetic hadn't been seen yet. But somehow it avoids over-referencing the films like lots of more modern OT-era EU did.