QUESTION Ever get sidetracked?

Reaction score
I have always just collected the vintage stuff. Pre-1985. Got caught up lately on this Mandalorian line and Funko Pop. Spent more than I should have on figures and protectors. No more. Back to my first love.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t necessarily get sidetracked, but I do get temporarily obsessed with little new focuses. Right now, I’m really into droids. Eventually, that itch will be scratched and I’ll go back to general buying!

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily get sidetracked, but I do get temporarily obsessed with little new focuses. Right now, I’m really into droids. Eventually, that itch will be scratched and I’ll go back to general buying!
I do the same at times but this last venture convinced me to stay the course and finish what I started. I am going to finish my first 12 with variations (missing hollow cheek tusken raider and vinyl cloak jawa), my pre 1980 loose 12in figures, and my early carded and boxed die cast ships. I will try to add a couple of the rarer early figures such as a Snag. I have limits on what I can spend so it might be a long haul.

Reaction score
I've been focusing way more on modern stuff lately. At least it's affordable. Right now, Vintage prices are just crazy.

Reaction score
I've been focusing way more on modern stuff lately. At least it's affordable. Right now, Vintage prices are just crazy.
I agree but that is what I want. I don't consider the Mando like a great waste since all are original figures, so far. But the funko pops? Sheeeze, what an idiot I was.

Reaction score
I can say the same thing Tulgah said just insert "12 back" where "droids" is 🙂

Reaction score
I got hooked on 1982 Indiana Jones kenner collection. I have a complete loose set, and a complete boxed/carded set. The packaged set will be graded. I have all the figures already graded , my horse and 12 inch Indy are being graded now. The 4 playsets are in que.

Its a small set but a great addition to my collection

Reaction score
I bought tons of modern figs from 2010-2018. I even sold off some of my original Kenner stuff when I moved to Washington in 2017 and kept my modern stuff instead, ahh the regret is strong in that decision. Sold off all my modern on 2020 and have been working hard to complete my Kenner loose vehicles run. Atleast I kept all my original Kenner figures. I got caught in the modern “bug”, those darn vintage collection card backs is what sucked me in!

Reaction score
I've been sidetracked for 20 years. I bought most of my vintage Star Wars figures in the 90's, when I could get them for cheap. I probably got 3/4 of my collection (up through ROTJ) for around $5 - $10 a piece. Granted, about 1/3 of my figures are incomplete.

I hit a slump when I got to the point where I was only missing POTF figures. I couldn't justify the price for POTF figures when there are Transformers or other toys I'd rather have for that money. It was that way around 20 years ago and I still feel the same way today.

As far as vintage Star Wars collecting goes, I've spent the last 20 years just picking up replacement figures in better shape or trying to find legit weapons for my figures. But only when I can find them at a good price.

My focus has been on other 80's vintage toys like Transformers and G*JOE. I also collect some modern lines like the 6" Black Series figures, Marvel Legends, and modern Transformers.

Reaction score
I believe this happens to most collectors.

Personally, I grew up with Star Wars in the late 70s to mid 80s and Vintage was my obvious choice. Had a pretty impressive collection for a kid looking back.

Fast forward to the resurgence of POTF2 and I left vintage behind, and was fully involved with (Hasbro) that line all the way through Attack of the Clones - it was ridiculous. I had almost everything. I attended the midnight madness for ROTS but didn't buy a single item. At that point I made the decision to sell EVERYTHING off and head into Gentle Giant territory (they were a new company...and the items they made felt more grown up, sophisticated).

To say I was a massive Gentle Giant fan is an understatement - see that section for all those year's posts. OT focused collector only. As time went on, I lost interest in the way they ran the company, individuals who worked there and their snobby attitudes, and a few forum members here and on other boards who ruined the fun for me. It was time for another transition!

Onto Master Replicas, Studio Scales, props, etc. I dabbled in this area for about 3 years. Had a museum'esque set up in my basement, but as time went on I couldn't stomach what $$$ all that stuff was worth, the money was better served elsewhere (knocked out a huge portion of med school debt for my wife) NOTE: in my displays I always would intermix Vintage items alongside high end pieces...it just looked right.

*What occurred was I ended up where I started, and I couldn't be happier. 47yo and I am back to the thrill of being 4yo sitting in the theater watching Star Wars. I have a loose figure focus and extremely pleased with my display.

Reaction score
yep...if that wasn't you initial intentions...lol
Well then, yeah. TRU got way too much of my side-tracked $$$ back in the 1990's and early 2000's. It was fun at the time to collect all the "new" releases and some are becoming "collector's items" now, while most of it is just plastic and cardboard fodder. Ironically, one of the "best sellers" is the Classic Edition 4-Pack" modeled after (and molded from) the vintage line Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewy. It's funny that that will be one of the POTF2 items I'll hang on to. That and the mailer stuff, fan club exclusives, etc. (the Frito Lay Obi Wan mailer was kind of cool). But ultimately the failure in the marketplace of that line put me back onto the vintage original stuff. So it's not a total loss (besides the $$$, LOL)

Reaction score
Well then, yeah. TRU got way too much of my side-tracked $$$ back in the 1990's and early 2000's. It was fun at the time to collect all the "new" releases and some are becoming "collector's items" now, while most of it is just plastic and cardboard fodder. Ironically, one of the "best sellers" is the Classic Edition 4-Pack" modeled after (and molded from) the vintage line Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewy. It's funny that that will be one of the POTF2 items I'll hang on to. That and the mailer stuff, fan club exclusives, etc. (the Frito Lay Obi Wan mailer was kind of cool). But ultimately the failure in the marketplace of that line put me back onto the vintage original stuff. So it's not a total loss (besides the $$$, LOL)
I picked up an Obi-Wan mailer a couple days ago. Not sure which one it is but I also SNAGGED another great piece to be revealed when I post the pics of my display in the new cabinet I am picking up today.

Reaction score
I've been really trying hard to complete a loose Droids and Ewoks Cartoon line. I still need a few coins and a Sise Fromm. I don't know why he's been so difficult to find! Carded ones pop up now and again, but loose ones seem few and far between and almost as expensive as the carded ones.

Reaction score
I picked up an Obi-Wan mailer a couple days ago. Not sure which one it is but I also SNAGGED another great piece to be revealed when I post the pics of my display in the new cabinet I am picking up today.
Nice foreshadowing there! Well I suppose not ALL of the modern Hasbro stuff I got is too bad. I do like the B-Omarr Monk figure (yet another mailer), it's got the right amount of old and new (and creepy) mixed in. Other items somewhat compliment the original sculpts (like Amanaman fan club exclusive). Maybe the market for the POTF2 just needs more time to mature? Who knows, I do know I have some "rarer" variants for sculpts and cardback revisions that might be good down the road. I've got a lot of my POTF2 stuff ready to sell, but certain ones I'll hold for now..