EU Retcon

Reaction score
With Disney discarding all the EU material now, has anything been discussed about retcons being discarded as well?

For example, Tycho Celchu. He first originated in the EU, then was retconned into ROTJ as Green 3 and one of the A-wing pilots that followed Lando and Wedge into the DSII. Seeing he first showed up in the EU, he doesn't exist?

The same goes with Dash Rendar. First appeared in the EU. Then was retconned in A New Hope. You can see the Outrider for about 5 seconds in Mos Eisley.

So what I'm wondering is if anything that appeared in the EU - which is now discarded, that was retconned into any of the films - which is canon, are still... well, canon. I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. If it has I apologize.

Reaction score
As I explained elsewhere, Tycho was never visible on-screen in the battle, outside of an exterior A-wing shot, so he 'doesn't exist'. Likewise with Dash; there is nothing saying "that's the Outrider" within the film itself, so it's merely a ship of the same type.

Reaction score
Very true. I'm just curious as to what they're going to do. I just wonder because even though it started in the now-discarded EU, which was retconned into the films which is canon, what's going to happen.

I also figured I'd make a topic about it, I'd like to hear others thoughts. Plus I didn't want to hijack the Rogue One thread into a separate discussion lol.

JVM

Reaction score
From what I've generally seen, even the names for the Cantina aliens and stuff we see in tie-ins that aren't on screen in the films aren't canon. The deleted scene stuff (well, those that had survived before) is all discarded, too. Even though all of that came from Lucasfilm and most of it almost certainly shouldn't conflict with Disney's plans for the series' future.

But maybe they're planning an epic movie centered upon 'Hammerhead' who totally, totally isn't called Momaw Nadon.

Reaction score
From what I've generally seen, even the names for the Cantina aliens and stuff we see in tie-ins that aren't on screen in the films aren't canon. The deleted scene stuff (well, those that had survived before) is all discarded, too. Even though all of that came from Lucasfilm and most of it almost certainly shouldn't conflict with Disney's plans for the series' future.

But maybe they're planning an epic movie centered upon 'Hammerhead' who totally, totally isn't called Momaw Nadon.
Even if he isn't called Momaw Nadon, he definitely won't be called "Hammerhead"

Reaction score
Even then it wouldn't matter because there's no real reason for him to have a name, period.

Reaction score
If it helps any, I went to Wookiepedia and they list what is "canon" and what is "legends" (which is what the old EU is now). It says if its canon or legends to the right, on top of the photo on the article.

So as Toon mentioned before - Dash, Tycho, Outrider have a label of "Legends".

Film characters - Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Wedge, etc have a label of "Canon".

Something that is canon, say, the Battle of Yavin. They have 2 tabs at the top - Canon and Legends. Under canon, right now its just the Battle of Yavin from the film. Under legends, it has all prior EU, such as comic books, video games, etc.

I see they changed something from the Battle of Endor. The B-wings were Blue Squadron (from old EU, or now "legends"). Now the B-wings are known as Blade Squadron (new EU/Disney EU canon).

I guess seeing everything labeled helped. It just seemed to 'click' when I saw what was what.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't like most of the new SW continuity at all; strongly prefer the "Legends", though I don't like that label. As a fan who has been reading & enjoying the SW EU since the '80's & into the 20XX's, I truly resent the fact that Lflm./Disney is trying to get us all to follow a completely different "canon" re: the new books/comics coming out this year.

I have spent a lot of money & time reading/collecting the various '80's - 20XX's SW novels & comics over the years - and, I don't have the time, money, or room to start collecting & reading new novels/comics - especially ones that contradict what I've read before. The EU was confusing enough as it was prior to this "new" material - now, with two "time-lines" going on, it will be much worse...

Going along with this, I break the SW EU down into three categories:

First tier EU: late 70's - late '80's - this basically consisted of the original Marvel SW comics (1977-1986), the 1978 novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Brian Daley Han Solo novels, the Lando Calrissian novels (L. Neil Smith), and the later '80's West End games material. Some of this material actually contradicted what we saw in the films, i.e. Luke fighting DV for the first time in SOTME instead of ESB - or, that Luke's new lightsaber was blue between ESB & ROTJ, even though ROTJ continuity shows him making a green one in ROTJ (cut scene)...

Second tier EU: '90's-on, starting with 1991's Heir to the Empire novel & the Dark Empire comic series (DH), this '90's EU went through 2014, and ended with the 2014 DH SW comics. Things got a lot more "focused" after 1991 - after this, IMHO Lflm. was paying a lot more attention with continuity. IMHO, the 1991-on novels/comics at least make an effort not to contradict each other - too much.

Third tier EU: Disney/Lflm.'s "canon", i.e. the new 2015 Marvel comics, the Rebels cartoon, the 2014 Tarkin novel, and all of the forthcoming new material.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I felt that some of the random EU stuff like cantina/Jabba's Palace alien names should've been left as is. What's the big deal if some random dude in the back was given a name?

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure they'll have the same names unless one has a reasoned to be named on film. The canon deal isn't going to effect that in regards to action figures, which I assume is yr concern.

The cantina/jabba books was when I quit reading the eu books. EVERYONE is a rebel/imperial spy, nobody is there just to get drunk.

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure they'll have the same names unless one has a reasoned to be named on film. The canon deal isn't going to effect that in regards to action figures, which I assume is yr concern.

The cantina/jabba books was when I quit reading the eu books. EVERYONE is a rebel/imperial spy, nobody is there just to get drunk.
I think it was this past summer that I bought Tales from Jabba's/Mos Eisley and good Lord those books suck. I might've read the first 2 stories and then given up. You definitely do not want to judge all EU based on these 2 crappy books.

Reaction score
I noticed whenever they come across an Ithorian in the new "canon" novels, they usually say something like "The hammer-headed alien made a sound not unlike laughter" or something. In fact, I think it happened in both Heir to the Jedi and A New Dawn. No sign of it in Tarkin yet.

Reaction score
I think it was this past summer that I bought Tales from Jabba's/Mos Eisley and good Lord those books suck. I might've read the first 2 stories and then given up. You definitely do not want to judge all EU based on these 2 crappy books.
Yeah, I was done for good by the time they killed chewie. Too many secret super weapons, the garbage Tales Of..., 500 generations of Skywalkers,etc. There was some pretty good books and a lot of sci-fi hack books.

I'm glad for a true canon and i'm hopeful they don't start spitting out 20 books a month.