ESB Palitoy Unused Sample Cardbacks

Reaction score
As far as i'm aware there are no Palitoy proof cards known but these unused cardbacks are about as close as it gets. These samples were obtained from a lithographic printing firm in Northampton that supplied Palitoy, German General Mills and Dutch Clipper cardbacks to the Palitoy factory in Coalville where they were assembled. They appear to be of a thinner card stock and texture to the standard printed cards. As far as i'm aware these are the only unused ESB Palitoy cardbacks to be found. Anyway I hope you enjoy the pictures that i finally got around to taking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazing! Congrats on the score. Looks like they might be a printers internal test run.

Reaction score
Very nice. Saw similar pieces on ebay.co.uk a few months ago

Reaction score
Thanks Jon, must admit it has revived my interest in collecting after selling off my pre production stuff

Reaction score
Fascinating, they look to be in excellent condition, can you grade them like Proof Cards?

Reaction score
You can certainly grade them. I believe AFA have labelled some unused Palitoy ROTJ cardbacks as proof cards but then again they also label carded samples as miscards so I wouldn’t have great confidence in their choice of labelling. Personally I think proof cards might be a bit of a stretch.

Whilst they do appear to have a slightly different card stock and finish, I don’t own enough carded 45b figures to be certain it’s not just a minor production variation. Perhaps Jason might know.

Last edited: