EP1 Trade Federation and Darth Sidious Deal

Reaction score
im still left without a wondering what the trade federation believes they are providing Sidious. gunrays line "lord sidious promised us peace" shows that his percieved part of the deal was not to help sidious start a war.
Usually in a deal or treaty both sides believe they are getting something in return, but theres nothing concievable that gunray should believe he is providing to sidious. I was wondering if there was something I missed or if this was explained in the RU, but I think its just a plot hole. I can accept that.
The way I see it, Sidious asked them to help him destroy the Jedi (with the war). In return, he would help them gain money and power and leave them in peace once all was over with. Clearly, Sidious had his own plans and, instead of letting the Trade Federation be, he betrayed them and killed them.

The part that confused me was when, in Attack of the Clones, Dooku says to Obi Wan that Nute was betrayed ten years ago by Sidious. At first I thought that was true, but then I realized, after watching ROTS, that Dooku lied about that too, to give his story more credibility. The only thing he may have been serious about was wanting Obi Wan to join him, so that he could become his apprentice and they could destroy Sidious together.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sidious's "I will make it legal" line still doesn't make sense. As far as the TF saw things, nothing Sidious actually did could make things legal. The treaty Amidala was supposed to sign to make it legal was something the TF was going to have to force her to do. Sidious didn't say "I'm coming there and I'm going to force her to sign the treaty making it legal." He basically said, "I will make it legal...by having you force her to sign the treaty and do all the work."

This is where my problem with their arrangement is and so far I have not heard anything to convince me he did anything. The TF did all the work. He said he'll do stuff but there was no proof of him doing anything to help the TF the whole time. He wasn't even the financial backer as they had all the money. The one thing he does provide to help them out, Darth Maul, fails to capture Padme and then abandons his mission to fight the two Jedi. Seriously, the TF would have been better off had Darth Maul stayed out of it. Padme would have still gone back but at least the Jedi wouldn't have suspected Sith involvement and probably wouldn't have gone back to Naboo as protection for her. They would have had a much better chance capturing Padme without Maul around.

Reaction score
Sidious's "I will make it legal" line still doesn't make sense. As far as the TF saw things, nothing Sidious actually did could make things legal. The treaty Amidala was supposed to sign to make it legal was something the TF was going to have to force her to do. Sidious didn't say "I'm coming there and I'm going to force her to sign the treaty making it legal." He basically said, "I will make it legal...by having you force her to sign the treaty and do all the work."

This is where my problem with their arrangement is and so far I have not heard anything to convince me he did anything. The TF did all the work. He said he'll do stuff but there was no proof of him doing anything to help the TF the whole time. He wasn't even the financial backer as they had all the money. The one thing he does provide to help them out, Darth Maul, fails to capture Padme and then abandons his mission to fight the two Jedi. Seriously, the TF would have been better off had Darth Maul stayed out of it. Padme would have still gone back but at least the Jedi wouldn't have suspected Sith involvement and probably wouldn't have gone back to Naboo as protection for her. They would have had a much better chance capturing Padme without Maul around.
Those are good arguments. I still think "I will make it legal" makes sense in terms of the big picture. The TF very likely knew about the corruption in the senate, so it wouldn't be too surprising that Sidious could manipulate the senate. Plus, everything so far was going as planned. They probably did not care about the details ("I have the senate bogged down in procedures") as much as the results Sidious's intervention had. Remember the Republic so far had done nothing to stop or end the blockade . It was all working until the two Jedi showed up. As Qui-Gon says, the TF types are cowards. When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon showed up, they were tempted to back out of their bargain with Sidious ("we dare not go against the Jedi"), but then he pushed them to invade Naboo and said his "I will make it legal" line, assuring them that the treaty would be ratified by the senate.

In the end, they could have backed out of their deal, but I think they were too greedy, and too afraid to refuse a Sith. What if he came after them? He certainly knew where they lived. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still remember reading the opening scrawl about a dispute on the taxation of trade routes...that was truly ominous looking back. I thought this was a kids fantasy movie??

Reaction score
it's obvious , then: sidious promised them tax-free trade-routes. (how? by eliminating the republic).