Enhancing my Wampa cave diorama (WIP and done 5/26)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
In a series of small improvements or additions to older dioramas (I have a few other TESB ones that I'll probably tackle for the rest of this 40th anniversary year!), I went back to the Wampa cave diorama I made probably 15 years ago, in order to enhance some things. Here are a couple pics from the "Lighting" thread, showing the diorama before any changes were made:

Please note these things: the obvious seam between the upper half and lower half; the over-chunkiness of all surfaces, the too-tight narrow space and low ceiling for the Wampa, the almost disintegrated bones on the floor (why did I use play-doh instead of sculpy?!), and the general less organic and sharp shapes to the whole thing.

So, I started pulling out chunks of styrofoam and plaster with my thumb until I cleared out much of the cave. I broke new holes into the back wall and ceiling to get a bit more light in there, and tried "rounding" some of the edges. I then put plaster on all exposed styrofoam, especially smoothing out the walls and columns, and a bit of smoothness on the 2 foreground stalagmites (leaving the stalactites and ceiling rough). The seam between top and bottom halves is gone (and consequently cannot be separated like before). Note the greater space for the Wampa to his sides and above his head. I really like the way the small light illuminates and reflects the back wall that the diorama is against, to produce a nice "dusk" glow! Sculpting the bones is all that's left (y)

A little side-by-side comparison:

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
A vast improvement! One day I want to revisit older works but have so many new things to work on instead!

Reaction score
Looks great, definitely improved though the original was pretty darn good to begin with. I altered my upside down Luke so his parka/tunic thing is hanging down below the belt by giving him a cloth section that can be manipulated to look like the way it hangs in that scene. Gravity. Sometimes it means having to redo Hasbro.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I really think my favorite part of the custom hobby is returning to older ones and improving them, after years of looking at them and identifying what "bothers" me. It's a faster process than building from scratch, and the satisfaction of getting better at it over the years is nice ;)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Ok, all done- love a quick diorama :cool:. Here is a pic of the main set of bones sculpted and hardened:

And after painting:

A second set of vertebrae:

And placed in the snow, with some snow pressed into the low-lying areas to get that set effect:

That'll do it! On to the next one...

Reaction score
Awesome! Did you use a scrap piece of wire for linking the vertebrae? Also......Star Wars 365...........great book for reference!!! Had it for years and love the obscure shots it has. Another favorite reference book lately is Branden Alinger's Costumes. Loooooooots of great OT pics and stories about how different costumes came to be assembled. Wish it was heavier with cantina and Jabba palace guys but maybe there'll be a second installment.