Enhancing my Lars garage diorama, finally! (WIP 1/14/20)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Whew! An 11-year old diorama gets a revisit due to a (significant) missing detail: the Lars garage's family landspeeder. I don't know exactly why I didn't try to add it before, but it has always nagged at me, LOL. Here is a pic of the dio when first completed back in 2008; note the shallow alcove that could not accommodate a full vehicle:

Well, I still don't want a full alcove nor full-size landspeeder (shelf space and relative importance to the scene). So, I decided I will slightly deepen the alcove and make only the front half of the landspeeder. Here are a couple pics of the structure made from good quality posterboard cut carefully and folded/super-glued where necessary (the geometry of this thing was tough!):

And here she is spraypainted with a good quality darkish-blue (which looks a lot brighter here than in regular light and in shadow like in the alcove):

I have the windows spraypainted and will post pics of that soon. I expect to do the white trim detail with peel-back adhesive paper cut to the proper shapes. More soon!

Reaction score
Diorama looks great. Can't wait to see it "finished".

Utinniii

Reaction score
For a second, I thought you were getting into 3D printing. I love that you are doing it old school.
I look forward to seeing this completed.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Here is a pic of the windows added in; I spray-painted black on the back of the clear plastic sheet that I got from a box that had a window-display on it, and super-glued it to the inside of the frame.

The best shot of the Landspeeder is when C-3PO is "hiding back there", and the windows appear to meet at each edge rather than be separated by a frame like the models show, so I may put another clear window above it, or possibly even spray paint another sheet and cover it over. Not sure yet :rolleyes:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, pal! I very quickly decided that I didn't want the windows just underneath the frames, but over them, as seems to be the case on the set vehicle. So, I cut and folded another piece of clear plastic to get it to the correct size and shape:

So I very lightly spray-painted it from behind, like the previous windows, and affixed it on top of the landspeeder this time. With some light, you can see the frame underneath a little, which is a cool effect!

Here are a couple pics test-fitting it into the alcove. Racing stripes and other details to follow!

A bit more light here, but not typical of how much light there is when the dio is in place:

Utinniii

Reaction score
It really finishes the diorama off. The only suggestion I can think of is to gradually darken the back wall a bit to enhance the illusion of depth.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Absolutely- and it's even darker than these pics show, when it's placed in its normal shelf space! I finished the decals, but they may be a little too thick-lined, so I might try to thin them (and darken them too).

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Busy couple weeks, but I was able to thin out the racing stripes, then I dry-brushed on some grey to darken the vehicle a bit. Here it is placed into the deeper, expanded alcove (these pics are in full lighting, where I work on stuff, so imagine it darker on my shelf :unsure:). Also note the shortened Luke's chair and the broken T-16 model stand! I added a restraining bolt to C-3PO's chest, and the oil bath rag to his hand too. I believe I'm going to try to hollow out the holes in the high wall strip and add some mini-lights.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks! I have since resprayed the back of the full-size T-16 and altered the backside a little, to more closely resemble the set piece. I'm also going to remove the strip along the top, and re-cut with larger, fewer holes- and add lighting!

Reaction score
Where'd you get the Hologram Leia? I thought I had them all...

I'd love to see you sneak a small LED under the Hologram!:cool:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Where'd you get the Hologram Leia? I thought I had them all...
I couldn't remember until I did a search:

And here is a pic of the T-16 engine tweaked a little, and the ceiling light strip removed for altering:

And another of the Lars landspeeder:

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was hologram obsessed a while back and thought I found all of them!

Won't hold my breath to find that one though.....
I do marvel at the level of detail you put into all of your works!

EDIT: Amazon has two available, one at $100.00 and the other at $338.00. Yep, my collection won't get completed anytime soon. Thanks, Daigo_bah!!:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Love the update, this is one of my favorites of yours. It is also a fantastic example of your mastery of greeblies. All those little bits and details are wonderful.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, Shiz and DS900! As is typical, I start with wanting to do a small update, then OCD takes over and I decide to upgrade every way I can :rolleyes:. So, I cut a new thick foamie strip, spray-painted it silver, hole-punched it with better spacing and wider holes (I used a hot glue gun tip to "melt" the holes larger than just the puncher allows), and glued it back on. It will be painted with a watered-down black to get a look closer to the metal rods just below it.

Then I went and drilled through each hole and inserted a mini light of a 50-count battery operated string of lights. This is not the finished illumination! It's much too bright; I'm going to insert little crinkled tan/gold paper in each hole to mimic the set lights ;) Notice the colored lights in the Lars landspeeder bay are finally illuminated! I'd like to also have a light in each of the 2-3 spotlights on the wall, but I ran short on my string LOL

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Ok, here are a couple updates! I weathered the light strip with some watered-down black to reduce the chrome look and get more of a "gunmetal" finish. I then stuffed small pieces of fabric into each light hole and painted little brown and tan marks to try to achieve the look of the set lighting. These pics still make it appear brighter (an iPhone thing?) than it is in person! Also note I got a litter more lighting in the Lars landspeeder alcove, and corrected the colored lights as they appear in the scene!

I also started on the T-16 alcove detail by hot-gluing some foamcore together and cutting the door and wall vents of the back wall. You can see the T-16 repaint better here, and I intend to add the dark blue stripe across the stabilizer fin too.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of the T-16 alcove after making the Lars homestead entrance structure. It's all foamcore and posterboard (soon to be coated in plaster and painted), and I elevated the ramp on the back end a little to force the perspective and distance from the garage!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, pal! I have a pic of the T-16 to show the added dark blue stripe, which was simply masking off with tape and spraying with spraypaint. I then lightly sprayed from a greater distance the same primer gray that the rest of the ship got, in order to fade the stripe just a touch. Notice the cut off nose of the ship, so that I can fit it in the alcove as measured. I have plaster drying in the alcove that I'll sand later today.

Reaction score
Seeing this makes me think about how George and the set designers always had geography in mind when they developed the sets. They hadn't even constructed the interior of this set when they built the outside, but it's obvious that the whole garage 'dome' was designed to open up, and the T-16 flew out of there vertically. Just the whole idea of going down into the domed structure, hanging a left, and crossing that bridge to get to Luke's little garage area. All very well put together from the beginning. The only real question is how the Lars speeder gets out of there. I assume there's a ramp behind it to take it above ground. Luke's speeder is probably parked behind it.