Emperor's Throne Room WIP and completed pics!

Reaction score
Re: Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP (6/20)

AWESOME WORK !!!!
its GREAT to see others take step by step pics to motivate others to join in on the fun

Reaction score

NiubNiub said:
AWESOME WORK !!!!
its GREAT to see others take step by step pics to motivate others to join in on the fun
ya wheres your new suff dude.

this diorama is amazing, great job

Reaction score

Wow you got Niub niub's praise! It must be good! J/k Great, im working on something like it but involves the unleashed sidious and my own sculpted shocking luke and standing vad3r.(did the 3 by accident but it looks cool so its staying)

Reaction score

Great work and nice detail..

Very inspirational

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

I completed the back wall with its chrome-like surface plates and embossed wall patterns, and attached it to the frame. I of course have to make the cylindrical window with which to attach the rear window to next.

Reaction score

VERY nice!

What are the dimensions on this monster?

Reaction score

That is simply AWESOME, although I can't find the proper words to describe it.

Alhtough your dioramas are always outstanding, this has to be your best one yet. I can't wait to see this one finished.

Reaction score

Holy S##T!!! How did i miss this thread. That is awesome! Man am i glad i found this board theres so much talent, i just love looking at this stuff.( and drooling)

Reaction score
Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP (6/20)

Holy [censored]! MAKE ME ONE PLEASEEEEEE!

Reaction score

[censored]!

Reaction score

This is simply breathtaking... and way out of my league. I could only dream of making something like that. Have you ever considered using styrene to make it more durable over time?

Reaction score

That's amazing Dagobah. It's HUGE. Did you use thin foam sheets (often called foamies) for the window and other details?

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Thanks again guys! Chewie, I've never used styrene but I'm interested in it for its durability. I guess it's available at the same craft shops? Prof- I did indeed use foamies for the thin details. They take spraypaint really well and are incredibly easy to cut. As for the dimensions, I'll have to measure when I get home but I believe the floor foamcore is almost a full sheet, to give you an idea.

Reaction score

Wow tthatt is huge.

Reaction score

Daigo-bah,
If you ever get down to the southshore, there's a place in Metairie called Hobby Hut that carries sheet styrene. They specialize in models, train sets and rc planes and cars. Might be worth your while to check out this material. They have a good selection, as well as sheets in different textures and styrene rods & tubes. They carry two different brands (one is Evergreen Scale Models; don't recall the other...) I'm pretty sure they had a sampler pack of different thicknesses at one time. PM if you need more details.

I think, due to the size of the projects you take on, you may want to go a different route after you try the stuff and decide if you like it. On the service road for Causeway at I-10 there used to be GE Plastics (formerly Cadillac Plastics). Not sure if they are still there, but these guys could get you large sheets of styrene(like 8'x4') and I think it would end up being cheaper than the paper size stuff at hobby shops because you are buying in bulk. I had looked into buying some plastics from them for a project a few years back. I think they can even do some cutting for you to get it to a more manageble size.

E>

Reaction score

actually elmeaux the old Hobby hut closed down. Unless theve opened up somewhere else that i dont know about. If they have opened elsewhere let me know where. It sucks too that was a really cool place. And Hobbies west only carries models, and not much else.

Reaction score

Nope, they just moved to bigger location. I was just in there this past weekend. It's about a block from Green Acres on Vets; look for the Subway sign, they're in the same strip mall.

Oh, and on the way to work I checked to see if the GE place was still there. They are, but the sign says GE Polymerforms(which it might have been when they changed from Cadillac; it's been about 4-5 years since I went there.)

Anyhow, didn't mean to derail the thread.
This diorama is incredible! Can't wait to see the end result! This one is going to really raise the bar.

E>

Reaction score

Wow! This is coming along very nicely! I agree about the styrene though. It would definitely improve the durability. It would suck for the stairs to fall apart because the family cat decided to climb them or something.
And off topic, reading about the hobby shop in Metairie is making me miss Nola. I was a DJ on 106.1 the Zephyr before it folded. It's not nearly as nice up here in Detroit.

Mikey

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Oh man- thank goodness the window is finished; it was a pain in the ***! I thought about how to do it for the longest time, and decided on 26 or 27 individual foamie pieces, each attached to the next with a thin strip of posterboard (the movie set window also had strips separating one oval window piece from the next too). The way I did it was, I measured the circle diameter of the back wall, and the circle diameter of the window behind the emperor, and found it to be a 1.5:1 ratio exactly. So each foamie piece I cut was one inch wide on the rear end, and 1.5 inches wide on the back wall end. When I attached them all together flat, they made a half circle. Then I pulled the ends together which made the cone shape it's supposed to, glued the back window inside it, and added trim. The only thing I'm unhappy with is the trim inside the back window being too short and not fully encircling the window. I had to make 2 trimmings that didn't meet up perfectly, but what're you gonna do?

Reaction score

This has to be the coolest/most accurate/detailed diorama ever built! I am truly amazed with each new update, Daigo_Bah! Fantastic work, my friend!

Reaction score

*giggles like little girl*

Reaction score

Where do you live? What room is this in? What is the best window to smash to get to it?

I wants it, precious, I wants it.

Alex

Reaction score

I say: mold the whole thing and mass-produce it. I'll take 10.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Thanks for the nice comments! Just a small update today: I made the viewscreen frames out of foamcore, and cut slits into them followed by running a sharp point through the cuts to give a better separation effect. I then spraypainted them the same dark gray of the walls and hot glued them into the openings. I've also created a viewscreen decal on MS Paint that I have to print, so that update should come soon. Edit: finished the screen decals.

Reaction score

What are you kidding me? This is frigan awesome! The detail on it is amazing! That is coming out great. Cant wait to see the end result. Are you going to add lights to it too?

Reaction score

As they say in halo... UN freaken beliveable. Remember the idea about the group photonovel, you would so have to do thhis scene!

Reaction score

Is that a Star Wars arcade game I see through the viewscreen frame?

I guess I'm not the only one here to have one - except mine is the "The Empire Strikes Back" version.

On topic: GREAT work. I can't wait to see this thing complete.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Glitch said:
Is that a Star Wars arcade game I see through the viewscreen frame?
Good eye! It sure is- I guess it's the holy grail of my collection. Problem is, it powers up, but the game itself no longer functions. Something happened in transit and all I get are fuzzy lines and random voices and sounds. But it still looks great. A friend of mine used to buy stored arcade games at local video game distributors, and this one he bought for $250 about 12 years ago. The other one I used to have, and regret giving it back, was a cocktail table version of Joust (my favorite classic game, and a very rare cocktail table version that both players sit in front of, at slight angles towards each other- only a small number were made too!)

Reaction score

I'm sure that the Emperor himself couldn't be displeased with the progress of this work! Absolutely amazing!

sTk

Reaction score

Simply Amazing.

*Motions to steal it

Reaction score

OH MY GOOD LORD VADER........... That is simply phenominal. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I bow before you oh master dio builder....

Reaction score

hi...um.....could you please make me one..............

Reaction score

any chance you could take some hi-res shots of the small details? im sure its tedious work, but the results are awesome! how does your significant other deal w/ all your attention going into your hobby? hehehe

Reaction score

Dude you blow the miniature makers at LUCASFILM away with your work. Absolutely beautiful job.

Reaction score

This is truly fantastic work. Looks better than anything Hasbro has ever made.

Keep it up!

Phil

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Much appreciated! I am almost finished; I just have to make the 2 duty stations, and a starfield behind the window. I made the 2 arms out of playset pieces and other odds and ends, and spraypainted them chrome. They are supposed to be restraints for interrogation, according to the "Inside the Worlds" book

Reaction score

I just got yelled at for dancing on my desk at work after seeing these latest pics!