Emperor's Throne Room WIP and completed pics!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP and completed pics!

This is the slowest moving diorama for me to date! I have pics of the completed stairs, middle platform (without the duty stations), and upper platform. I'm going to etch detail the floor, then paint it, then get started on the side walls where there is a ton of details including the schematic screens of the DS 2. It'll be a while before the next update, so be patient with me please

Reaction score
Re: Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP (5/29)

WOW! Excellent detail. Now I want to go back and rework mine! It's great to see your return to dioramas...it's been a while!

Reaction score

wow

that looks great

i always wonderd how u make dioramas.......is the platforms hard, what do u use?

great job so far

Reaction score

I really like the progress so far - its looking excellent.

Reaction score

This is so good that it's sickening! What materials are you using?

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Thanks, you guys! The floors and steps are foamcore, the railing posts are thin foam pieces, and the railing is a thick metal wire painted chrome. The middle platform is surrounded by posterboard spraypainted the same color as the floor. Also, the steps on the stairs are topped by a plastic grid design that someone who made a Star Tours dio recently suggested. I super glued those onto the steps, as well as the railing posts to the platform sides, and everything else was hot glued. After I posted these pics I etched the floor design to the piece of foamcore that everything rests on (it's almost the same design as the hangar floor of the DS) and I will spraypaint it. The window behind the Emperor is also made from a foam sheet that I designed from using a compass, then cut out with an exacto blade. I gotta go on a conference trip tomorrow for almost a week, so I can't continue until next week. I hate leaving a diorama for so long

Reaction score

a very nice beginning to what looks like will become a fantastic diorama. i've seen a couple versions of this scene, but i think the detail you've begun to put in is just so high-end.
great work so far, and i can not wait for some more updates when you get back to it.

Reaction score

Looks awesome so far! Cant wait to see it finished.

Reaction score

Daigo_Bah said:
Also, the steps on the stairs are topped by a plastic grid design that someone who made a Star Tours dio recently suggested.
Hey, that's probably me! I mentioned the use of plastic canvas for floor grids in a thread here about my WIP Star Tours dio.

But, *nothing* that I have done or posted compares to the level of excellence I see here on this Throne Room. Awesome, awesome work.

Okay if I feel a modicum of proprietary pride, for having contributed in some small way?

Alex

Reaction score

Just the fact that you hand cut the window has me in awe! Wow! Even as the whole thing is now it's amazing. I really can't wait to see it when it's done. Awesome job!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

New_Bornalex said:
Daigo_Bah said:
Also, the steps on the stairs are topped by a plastic grid design that someone who made a Star Tours dio recently suggested.
Hey, that's probably me! I mentioned the use of plastic canvas for floor grids in a thread here about my WIP Star Tours dio.

Alex
Hey Alex! That sure was you- sorry I didn't give credit, I should have looked for the thread! You guys are too kind- this is definitely in the early stages (I almost didn't want to show it yet) so to get some great responses is really nice

Reaction score

Just to specify, when you say plastic canvas, do you mean like a canvas used for painting portraits that is made of plsatic? If so neat, and I've never heard of such.

Reaction score

Wow. Your attention to detail astounds me.
It feels so good to see one of those old-fashioned intracite dioramas that take more than a couple days to complete. I'm anxious to see how you do the side walls; I'm sure it will live up to your standards. Great job on the window, but are you going to make two more for the side walls?

Reaction score

wow very nice wip of the Emperor's Throne Room...

Can't wait to see the finished work...

Reaction score

Wow...those steps are amazing! Looks like its gonna be an incredible diorama when its done.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Finally have an update- I expect to do more work on this today and this weekend, so hopefully I'll have more pics for you guys. I finished one side wall (except for the viewscreen and its border) by drawing out the appropriate wall components and cutting into them with an x-acto blade, either to delineate a line or to cut all the way through. I then used a sharp metal point to divide the cut lines a little more by sliding it along all the cuts (also did this with the floor cuts). I'm going to spraypaint this next and add a few computer-made decals in a few areas.

Reaction score

Wow! You are a showoff.

You should get into professional model building for miniatures used in movies.

Reaction score

Amazing! You keep this quality up and this will look like the real deal. Your as passionate about building dioramas as I am. That's "OUTSTANDING!". Keep the pics coming.

Reaction score

WOW! Daigo_Bah, that is really something! I have to say, it's hard to get excited by some of these other dioramas, but you aren't one to fail to impress.

Reaction score
Re: Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP (6/10)

I can't wait to see the finished product. The detail on the staircase and panels is so crisp and clear.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Thanks again, everybody! Quick update: added some foam detail around the viewscreen, and painted the whole wall primer grey.

Reaction score

I have a feeling this is going to be simply amazing...

Reaction score

This is looking really great! Your dios get better and better with each one! Keep the pics coming!

Reaction score

absolutely fantastic work so far. coming along nicely. you've done a great job with those details, it's quite unbelievable. what an inspiration!

Reaction score

WOW! Great job on all the detail on the wall. It just keeps getting better and bett.

Reaction score
Ay Caramba!!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey dago, thank you for the stickers you shared with me, when I finish my Huge Dio, I will post pictures, but man you just get better everytime, you should post some step by step pictures or instructions, your set is nicer than the movie!!!!!!!!!

GNT

Reaction score

Very very impressive,Hasbro could learn a thing or 2 from this diorama. Look pretty darn sweet.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

I think I am at the halfway point now. Note that I applied some homemade decals to the wall, painted the floor, and attached everything together. I will probably work on the back wall next (the window from previous pics is not in these shots because I have yet to make the full window support).

Reaction score

I thought the viewscreen was on the other side, or are you going to make two of these? I might be mistaken, I get lost in that set. Originally and for a long time I thought where the duel ended was off to the left from the throne and not at the elevator where they come in.

Still pretty freakin cool! I love every diorama you make.

Reaction score

Now officially J E A L O U S !!!

I want one.

Reaction score

RSWingnut said:
unfrickinbelievable
That is by far an understatement... IT is soo good that it makes the figures look bad in comparrison!

Reaction score

Dude, you flippin` rock! That`s waaaaay cool. Are you going to put some pictures of rebel ships in the window by chance?

Reaction score

WOW! That is excellent. Your attention to detail is maddening! Makes my fingers hurt looking at all the detail. This is the standard for this diorama that we will all have to bow to.

Reaction score

You do realize you have just set the bar higher for everyone else interested in this craft?

Reaction score

<font color="brown">Very Nice Greg !!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product !!!!
</font>

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Thanks for all the great comments and patience on this one! I managed to finish the other side wall instead of doing the back wall first, because I didn't want to get lazy this soon into the dio! I'll hit that back wall next, then the back window, then it's just a few details to add.

Reaction score
Re: Emperor\'s Throne Room WIP (6/20)

That's sofa king cool! The detail is incredible.