Emotional roller coaster this month

Reaction score
Hello all. I don't believe I've ever posted anything here before. Or at least not in a very long time. I'm not usually one to get very emotional, but I have to admit, this month has just been kicking my ass.

My wife and I were hosting an exchange student from Germany. She's the fourth student we've had. Our school system puts all exchange students in the system as Seniors, so they can enjoy all the extra stuff Seniors get to do. Prom, Class trip, Graduation and all that. Well with the Covid crap going on and schools being closed, with the shift to online learning, the program she is part of ended everyone's year early. We were going to wait for the program to reach out to us, but her family in Germany decided they wanted her home sooner. She received an email on April 13th that her flight home was Friday the 15th! A full day and a half notice. Needless to say, it happened so fast we were all just emotional wrecks.

As if that wasn't bad enough, a few days ago we noticed our oldest cat who is 12 1/2 years old has a very bloated belly, and not eating normally. Took him to the vet today, and sure enough, his belly is full of fluid. She said she's pretty sure it's a tumor but of course she couldn't see anything in the X-ray. They now want us to bring him to a different vet that can do an ultrasound. Appointment set for Monday afternoon. Part of me is already asking myself why are we going to pay more money to find out what we probably already know. It's just all been too much on top of the stay at home stuff, and waiting in line everywhere you go. Thankfully my wife and I are both still working which helps keep our minds off things short term nyway. I guess what it boils down to is wer'e just over all of this, and can't wait for this month to END.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

Reaction score
Thankfully my wife and I are both still working which helps keep our minds off things short term nyway.
It's healthy to let it out, to vent, to articulate life's frustrations. We're human & it's only natural. But the key phrase from your entire post is the fact that both you AND your wife are still working. That's a luxury 20% of Americans do not have right now, and their frustrations are things like, "how am I going to put food on the table" or "how am I going to pay this month's rent?" These are trying times, that's for sure, but chin up!

Reaction score
It's healthy to let it out, to vent, to articulate life's frustrations. We're human & it's only natural. But the key phrase from your entire post is the fact that both you AND your wife are still working. That's a luxury 20% of Americans do not have right now, and their frustrations are things like, "how am I going to put food on the table" or "how am I going to pay this month's rent?" These are trying times, that's for sure, but chin up!
Thank you. And I do agree that my "first world problems" are probably nothing compared to so many out there who don't have a dime to their name right now, just tying to figure out how to survive. Our boy Fuzzball is the first cat I've ever had from kitten to 12 plus years old. While growing up it seemed like we never had any pet more than a couple years before something would happen and we needed to re home them. I did have one cat get hit by a bus when I was younger. I guess after years and years of never really getting to emotional, everything is catching up with me.

GNT

Reaction score
This year hasn't been the greatest, here we've had bushfires, floods and now covid19. As far as I'm concerned 2020 is a write off.

Reaction score
This year hasn't been the greatest, here we've had bushfires, floods and now covid19. As far as I'm concerned 2020 is a write off.
Yes, I'm very sorry to see and hear about the fires. I don't recall hearing much about the flooding though. Were you affected by either of those?

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel about the cat. And I'm sure it's a shock to hear that news. But I'm sure you both will make right decision for both your cat and you both too. What ever that choice is, good luck.

Reaction score
Not the best "Star Wars Day" today. We lost our little guy overnight. He was really starting to struggle yesterday, but we were hopeful if they found something during the ultrasound, there was a chance something could be done. At least he was home, and passed without us having to put him down. We brought him to the vet, where they will take care of everything for the cremation, and call us in a few days when we can come pick up the ashes. They will be in a nice wooden box, where we can add a photo of him. We already have a few in mind that show how distinguished and handsome he was.

I will miss his random rampages though the house, which would pretty much be him running from the bedroom down the stairs, through the living room and kitchen, down the basement stairs and back up, attacking toys along the way. I will miss him by my side while eating Cheetos, or expecting a bit of sausage off my slice of breakfast pizza. His standing on hind legs with outstretched front paws against the counter, looking for a saucer of milk or tuna juice as we opened a can. I will miss how he always jumped up and sat on my desk every time I sat there and tried to get something done most of all. I hope we gave him a good life over the 12 1/2 years he was with us. But I can't help but feel the last week we really let him down. I take heed in knowing that at the very least, whatever was wrong with him that brought about his end, he is no longer in pain or suffering in any way. Rest Easy, little guy. You will be missed more than you will ever know. :cry::cry::cry:20181203_224553.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a fine looking individual. Sorry for your loss, @DJ121 :cry: He is one with the Force now. I don't think your boy would feel you let him down. If anything he probably wishes for you and your wife to share the love you had for him with another cat, when you're ready. When that time comes go to your local animal shelter and look for a kitten that seems to stand out to you. After all they say our pets choose us, and not the other way around. :)

Reaction score
What a fine looking individual. Sorry for your loss, @DJ121 :cry: He is one with the Force now. I don't think your boy would feel you let him down. If anything he probably wishes for you and your wife to share the love you had for him with another cat, when you're ready. When that time comes go to your local animal shelter and look for a kitten that seems to stand out to you. After all they say our pets choose us, and not the other way around. :)
We have our girl cat, Lyzza and our dog Leeloo. Honestly not sure if we will be looking for another cat any time soon. Of course I say that, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again. I hope he did truly feel loved because we tried our best to show him how loved he was. Time heals, and time will tell if we do decide to get another. Thank you for your kind words.

Reaction score
I'm really sorry about your cat, dude. That's gotta be so hard, I have one about the same age and I dont know how I'm gonna deal with losing her when the time comes. I'm glad you felt like you could come here to get that off your back, this is generally a pretty cool forum.

Reaction score
And to add on that. Make sure to talk with and show extra time and love to your other pets. I'm sure they miss him too. They feel loss as much as you .
They were both curled up on the couch with us just a couple hours ago. I looked at my wife and said "It feels strange to say this, but this is is our whole family now."

Reaction score
I'm really sorry about your cat, dude. That's gotta be so hard, I have one about the same age and I dont know how I'm gonna deal with losing her when the time comes. I'm glad you felt like you could come here to get that off your back, this is generally a pretty cool forum.
Monday was indeed a hard day. It's a strange feeling walking through the door and knowing he's not here. As long as they are healthy, cats can have a fairly decent lifespan. We will never know what happened, but I can tell you it was QUICK. Probably about two weeks from still running around the house like a kitten to him passing. The vet said that it certainly can happen that fast, too. I hope you get a few more years with your girl. But when that time comes, We'll be here for you just like all of you have been for me. One way or another, we're all brothers in the Force. :)

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. You didn’t let him down at all. It was just his time to go, sadly. And if am sure he did feel very, very loved. All your little anecdotes about him revealed to me very clearly how much you loved him. And I‘m just a stranger on the internet. So I am certain he felt it, too. Fuzzball looks like he was really a very special cat. There‘s never enough time with any of our pets. 😿 So sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words. Even from a "stranger on the internet", it means a lot. We got the call from the vet today, that his remains were ready to be picked up. Currently searching through our photos of him, so we can find the right one to display with him. You are right, there never is enough time with them. One of the cruel realities of life, unfortunately.

Reaction score
I feel your pain.
We lost our 10 year old cat a couple of weeks ago. She went from healthy and full of energy to gone in about a week. It's still odd to not have her around, sitting on the sofa while I watch TV, or sleeping on the bed. I cried like a baby. But we get through the grief, you'll see. And one day, you'll be ready for another kitty. Last time it was about 6 months between cats, and I'm guessing it'll be about the same this time. Pets bring entirely too much joy into our lives to not have them around.

Reaction score
I send my condolences to you, we had to put one of our Goldens down last year,Sophie, she was Ben's(yes we named him after Obi-Wan)half sister we rescued years ago. she was 12 years. she kept Ben and Luke(our younger dog) in line. she thought she was Lukes mother, and he thought that of her. we had to put her down at midnight at an emergency animal clinic and we bawled! they had a beautiful "mourning room" were we were able to say good by to her. she passed peacefully. we received her ashes,a card from the clinic sending condolences. now we have Luke, he's 8 years old, has had dental surgery, a splenectomy early last year and now extensive knee surgery for a torn ligament and has a metal plate and six screws to hold everything together!UGH!!! THEN... the vets found another tumor in his stomach! fatty tumor! he recovering from the knee surgery now, long incision on the inside of his leg. We love him very much, his registered name would be, WoodCreeks Luke, Flame of the West, he a very red golden and full of the force! we could lose him too if the tumor grows, but I know your pain of loss. weep.