Elis Helrot - #23

Reaction score
Elis Helrot is a great figure in my opinion-

He is a cool and unique looking alien, has excellent articulation and is very welcome in any cantina display.

considering he comes with the piece of Bar, this is a must buy imho.

i couldnt ask for anythign more from hasbro for a Cantina alien. He can sit, he can stand, he's got a gun and a drink-
sounds like a good cantina alien to me.

Ive actually seen a lot of him lately as well, so hopefully he starts showing up more frequently for those who havent had a chance to see him

Reaction score
I like his unique look also, and I plan on using him in some future "Messing Around" photo novels.

Reaction score
r2ofthejungle said:
i couldnt ask for anythign more from hasbro for a Cantina alien. He can sit, he can stand, he's got a gun and a drink-
sounds like a good cantina alien to me.
I have to agree with this. Every cantina alien should be able to sit, and it looks like only so few can.

Reaction score
Some of you are questioning why this figure's price has been marked up at online retailers. Well, In a collector's store in England, they had the whole of wave 4 for the same price each, and the day after, it was this guy who sold out. Not Fett of Vader, but him. I saw this in two different stores!

Reaction score
That's a good point. I would like to see how the Cantina aliens would do at 2x per case. I still think they would sell well.

Reaction score
Trooper31 said:
That's a good point. I would like to see how the Cantina aliens would do at 2x per case. I still think they would sell well.
I think, actually, it's perfect the way Hasbro has been making the case assortments as of late. That one extra alien/ancillary figure put into a case is the one that ALWAYS ends up being the pegwarmer (see--Lushros Dofine in Saga'06, Nemoidian Warrior in ROTS, Lobot in OTC, etc, etc).
The fact that Hasbro has FINALLY decided to pack "extra" troopers into a case while subtracting the number of ancillary character figures, is absolutely perfect, not only for them, but for us as well. Do we see an excessive number of troops on the pegs right now? Sure. But when Lushros & Lobot hang around for months & months (or even if they were to go on clearance), would/did anybody gobble them up saying "hey, I can always use an extra 3 or 4 Lobots"? No, even on clearance they would remain unsold. Whereas the troopers WILL sell over time; albeit at a slow pace, but at a MUCH higher rate than would any background alien. And if ever they were to be clearanced out, then they would go like hotcakes. There is, more than likely, not a single collector/child/parent/giftgiver who wouldn't snag 5 plain white Clonetroopers if they were at, say, $2 or $3 bucks a pop. The same could NOT be said for the aliens.

Quick sidenote--this is not to say that don't ABSOLUTELY LOVE these guys; I have bought & will buy each & every background alien they make. The point was simply that they do not appeal to the masses as do troopers.

Reaction score
Your points are right on the money, but where I live (Germany) Hasbro has other case assortments and Wave 4 will not show up at retail except the Jedi Luke at some point. The cases that the Star Wars dealers got were like this:

2x Luke Jedi
2x CZ-4
3x McQ Vader
2x Boba Fett
1x Elis Helrot
1x Miyoom
1x Umpass Stay

The problem is that Germany is mainly a collectors market, so everybody wants the background aliens and fewer want the Lukes and Vaders. So dealers get stuck with extra Lukes, Vaders, R2s, etc. but not enough of these aliens.

I think you're right that in the US, if these aliens were 2x per case, they would end up pegwarming, although a cool alien with a piece of a bar would be more appealing than Lobot.

Anyway, this figure is really cool and I'm glad Hasbro seems committed to doing a couple of cantina aliens a year.

Reaction score
HELROT gots mine today and I am so friggin happy seeing this guy made my day I have been waiting a long time for a givin figure I have plans to buy a second one for customization reason

Reaction score
BAH! This is only my latest figure whose head won't stay on!

I'm starting to develop a dislike for ball jointed heads

Reaction score
So Elis has no cloth, yet he can sit down perfectly with the soft plastic. And it looks terrific since it's molded, it actually appears to "drape" properly. So why can't ALL figures be like this? Why can't Jedi have a soft plastic skirt instead of a cloth one so that they don't look so mismatched?

Reaction score
batmasterson said:
So Elis has no cloth, yet he can sit down perfectly with the soft plastic. And it looks terrific since it's molded, it actually appears to "drape" properly. So why can't ALL figures be like this? Why can't Jedi have a soft plastic skirt instead of a cloth one so that they don't look so mismatched?
Because Jedi need to have a wide range of movement with their hips, such as this year's Jedi Luke. Unless you take a razor blade to Mace Windu's plastic skirt, the only parts of his lower body that he can bend are his knees and ankles. Lot of good that does for a Jedi.

This year's Jedi Luke is brilliant, and should be how all Jedi are done.

By the way, the ONLY reason Elis Helrot can sit down (whereas M'iiyoom Onith cannot) is because Elis' skirt is really just a small plastic flap in the front and similarly in the back. M'iiyoom has the typical plastic Jedi skirt encircling his hips. THAT is why Jedi should have a cloth skirt vs. a plastic one.

Reaction score
But if the plastic on a Jedi skirt was the same as Elis's, it would work perfect. They've just used too hard of a material usually.

Frankly, I think this year's Jedi Luke is appalling to look at due to the cloth.

Reaction score
batmasterson said:
But if the plastic on a Jedi skirt was the same as Elis's, it would work perfect. They've just used too hard of a material usually.

Frankly, I think this year's Jedi Luke is appalling to look at due to the cloth.
This is another case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I'll give you that plastic garments look fine (if not a little too shiney), but then again, statues look pretty nifty too. But the thing they have in common is that they can't move.

A Jedi would look silly with a garment like Elis Helot's because Elis hardly even has what I'd generously call a "skirt". I will say that the Saga Obi-Wan does have slits in his skirt that allow his legs to move, which is what one has to manually mimic with a razor blade on Mace Windu to get the same effect.

However, I whereas some soft goods look less attractive because they just go everywhere, Jedi Luke's is pinned down by his belt, portrays the appropriate garmented look, stays exactly where it's supposed to stay, and allows Luke freedom of movement that exceeds even that of Saga Obi-Wan.

It really is brilliant. Sure - it's funny to say he's got in a bath towel - ha ha for those that thought that up. It does kind of look like a towel, but R2-D2 sort of looks like a vacuum cleaner if you want to go that route. I mean, if you really want to start making fun of things, there are many, many paths that can be explored...

I think too many people have gotten caught up in the perceived witiness of mocking the Jedi Luke figure, rather than admiring what an awesome figure it is. Like I said in another thread, I just got this figure today and was able to pose it exactly in the stance shown in the card back where Luke is dueling Vader, and it looks absolutely awesome.

Jedi Luke is really a first rate figure - it's disappointing that a few vocal people are so unappreciative of the hard work that Hasbro put into this effort, because all that want to obsess about is that he's wearing actual cloth, like he actually did in the movie.

Reaction score
Finally got him! I love how the Cantina aliens have been so good since 2004-ish. I have this dream of someday building a Cantina diorama, and the more aliens to populate it with, the better. Elis's likeness is absolutely perfect. The bar section was a great addition too.

Reaction score
Jangodo said:
Finally got him! I love how the Cantina aliens have been so good since 2004-ish. I have this dream of someday building a Cantina diorama, and the more aliens to populate it with, the better. Elis's likeness is absolutely perfect. The bar section was a great addition too.
Yeah--since the 2005 Cantina wave, there has been a renaissance of Cantina figures, a couple of really great additions every year. Feltipern and Myo are still among my favorite Cantina figures, partly because I was so pleasantly surprised that Hasbro would bring to plastic life such obscure yet cool-looking aliens. It's what got me back into collecting more routinely now. I too aim to complete a Cantina diorama.

Reaction score
There are still all kinds of Cantina aliens left to make (who are about as important story-wise as, say, Elis Helrot). It's about time Hasbro applied their Cantina know-how to Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan.

GNT

Reaction score
He needs to be a whole new sculpt and not a rehash with one or 2 new joint....SA. Once they've got him right then they can release it for ever more!

Reaction score
trevagg said:
Feltipern and Myo are still among my favorite Cantina figures, partly because I was so pleasantly surprised that Hasbro would bring to plastic life such obscure yet cool-looking aliens. It's what got me back into collecting more routinely now. I too aim to complete a Cantina diorama.
The exact same thing happened to me. I hadn't bought any Star Wars toys in two years, and then I found these guys. It got me back into the hobby.

I got Helrot yesterday, and I think he's the better of the two new cantina figures (both are great, though). I like the curved bar piece, even if it is too small.

I also like how cantina aliens all seem to have working holsters. It's a very cool idea, since they need to use their hands for drinks.

Reaction score
After reviewing this thread and the one on M'iiyoom I just had to post. There have been a few people questioning where Elis Helrot can be seen in ANH. I've spent way too much time dissecting the cantina scene frame-by-frame this year and had to throw in my two cents.

I've found that when dealing with cantina identification it helps to take into consideration two qualities of the original filming:

a) Cantina filming was done in two sessions (April '76 and January '77) in two different places (England and LA) using two different suppliers of creature masks (Stuart Freeborn and Rick Baker)

b) On set the creatures were largely created from people in masks. The masks (and by extension the characters they were created with) had on-set nicknames quite unlike the names we use for the characters today. They were, after all, just masks and there wasn't any EU to speak of yet!

On-set nicknames relevant to this post:
Elis Helrot = Skull Face
Feltipern Trevagg = High Tundra
M'iiyoom Onith = Yam Nose
Duros (Baniss & Ellorrs) = Goggle Eyes

(see the excellent SW.COM article here: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/article/f20030502/indexp5.html )

The general consensus in this forum seems to be that ol' Skull Face can be seen in the background of the Han/Greedo confrontation scene; however, as someone else noted it could be almost any character silhouetted there. The silhouetted actor could just as easily be wearing the Yam Nose mask or the other Google Eyes mask, in my opinion. Can anyone quote an official source that indicates the Skull Face mask was used in this particular shot?

There are at least two Behind the Scenes (BTS) photos that I know of that show the Skull Face mask. One is simply a line-up of many masks created by Rick Baker's team. The other shows the actual filming of a reshoot sequence. In this second photo, the Skull Face mask is present along with the High Tundra mask (and I think the Yam Nose one as well.) George Lucas is in the photo with them. IIRC this photo was reproduced in J. W. Rinzler's book "The Making of Star Wars".

Try as you might (and I definitely have) you won't see the front of the Skull Face mask in this shot or any other shot from the US cuts of ANH. (I'd love it if you could prove me wrong!)

You DO see a guy in the High Tundra mask amble by at one point back there behind Greedo. This seems to lends some support to the theory that the silhouetted mask is Skull Face since we know from the aforementioned BTS photo that Skull Face and High Tundra were filmed together at least once. On the other hand, they may have been filmed together only for the "laughing" scene. A dark figure crosses the camera in that scene which is used to lead a wipe into the footage of the Wolfman. It stands to reason that this dark figure could be Elis. Again- anyone with BTS knowledge is cordially invited to show us some proof!

As far as the possibility of seeing Skull Face while Han is leaving the cantina- forget it. That scene was filmed in the original cantina take before Rick Baker was hired for reshoots in LA.

The confusing part of all this is that the Greedo confrontation scene itself was edited together using footage from both shoots. Harrison Ford's performance came from the original '76 shooting where Paul Blake played Greedo. Most of the Greedo footage used in the final cut came from the '77 shoot where Maria de Aragon played Greedo. This is why you can see the High Tundra, Goggle Eyes, and possibly the Skull Face masks in the background.

A very valuable resource here is the '76 footage found on the old "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM. You'll note that none of the Rick Baker creatures are in that footage, for obvious reasons.

Why Elis Helrot was chosen as a 3 3/4" figure subject before so many other more prominent cantina characters is truly mind boggling!

-Nim

Reaction score
does anybody else's have a weird pink was on his head? The one in the photo archive doesnt.

Reaction score
Mine has a definite pink tint. I thought they were supposed to. I'll have to keep an eye out for a pure white version, the pink does look a little strange.

Reaction score
KillerVole said:
Mine has a definite pink tint. I thought they were supposed to. I'll have to keep an eye out for a pure white version, the pink does look a little strange.
Yeah, most of them have a pink tint.

I got mine and it was pure white. But later on the pink tint started showing up. I thought it was because I kept on rubbing it which gave it that tint. But when I went to toys R Us one day, I saw Elis Helrot with a pink tint all over his face in his package.

Reaction score
none of the pictures i've seen have it. Oh well, i havent seen any since.

Reaction score
Threepio said:
none of the pictures i've seen have it. Oh well, i havent seen any since.
Here's one of Niktom's Photos in Yak's Pub of elis Helrot with the Pink tint.

Reaction score
The first one I bought had a pink tint. But when I recently bought one for a custom, he didn't have it. I guess it's better that way, because I painted it an old bone color, and pink would have looked really stupid.

Reaction score
Sorry I'm reviving this topic, I just want to comment on this figure.

I absolutely love it! His detailing is nice, his face is wonderfully executed, and he's most certainly my favorite Cantina patron. I have 1 right now and am getting a second for Christmas. I actually drew the character a while back.
http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/15/41/39/44/elishe10.png
(Image too big for the forums. Sorry it's light, too. My scanner faded it)

Reaction score
Sorry I'm reviving this topic, I just want to comment on this figure.

I absolutely love it! His detailing is nice, his face is wonderfully executed, and he's most certainly my favorite Cantina patron. I have 1 right now and am getting a second for Christmas. I actually drew the character a while back.
http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/15/41/39/44/elishe10.png
(Image too big for the forums. Sorry it's light, too. My scanner faded it)
The link doesn't go anywhere. Anyway, this figure is pretty good. My only problem is that he doesn't stand very well.