EFX vs. Icons Tie Fighter?

Deedzy

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
The only thing the ICONS version has going for it is the death star themed base. It is a relic of it's time and they made a great replica with the information available to them but the efx TIE is vastly superior.

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
Icons TIE Fighter studio scale model was very cool for its time, with an edition of 1977 pieces worldwide and a cool Death Star tiles base. But on some the wings are drooping. On the other hand the EFX TIE Fighter has only 657 edition size, it is way more accurate, very solid and thus wings will not be affected in time. I would go with the EFX TIE every time, it is also in the top 5 collectibles I own. As an Imperial collector I wouldn't mind getting an Icons TIE some day, but not for the outrageous prices some sellers believe they will sell for, it should cost less than an EFX TIE considering all of the above, and not more.

Rodders

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I don't own either, but from what i see, the eFX version would be far superior in accuracy and quaility.

However, the ICONs replica is a really nice piece of Star Wars collecting history. The drooping wings would worry me, so i don't think i could display one.

Jay_the_Lesser

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Agreed the eFX is far superior. But if you can get an Icons TIE for a great price -then I'd go for it.

Peet_Starkiller

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
The Icons Tie was cast in part from an old ANH pyro prop, so the Icons Tie has direct lineage to the screen used prop, but is very ragged in its casting. Moreover, some of the greeblies on the Tie are just plain wrong which suggests that they were created by hand and added on after casting. The efx Tie on the other hand is very clean and smooth in comparison and has all the correct Greeblies compared to the ANH screen used Tie-fighter. A lot of work went into sourcing the correct model kit donor parts for these greeblies on the efx Tie, however it does have a downside in that the cockpit ball was made smaller than the actual studio scale proportions, and that the colours used on the first run of these Ties were incorrect. The second run got the colours correct and included screen accurate decals.
Both Ties have a faux Koolshade material casting for their wing panels, and I'm not sure of either Icons or efx went as far as including the "Lockheed" stamp which adorned some of the wing structure parts of the original screen used Ties.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
What was the first run and what was the second? How can you tell which one is which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peet_Starkiller

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
The first run doesn't have decals and a 2 tone paint scheme. The second run has the decals and a 3 tone paint scheme (three tones of grey, whereas with the first run the cockpit window frame and "highlights" were all the same German Grey).

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
That's on the efx Tie's or the originals? Thanks for the help!

TRDNiteLife

High Admiral
Reaction score
The only thing the ICONS version has going for it is the death star themed base.
This. However, since you can get a Death Star tile base for the EFX TIE, the ICONS model doesn't have much going for it.

darthtom

Ensign
Reaction score
The first run doesn't have decals and a 2 tone paint scheme. The second run has the decals and a 3 tone paint scheme (three tones of grey, whereas with the first run the cockpit window frame and "highlights" were all the same German Grey).

sorry, I'm confused, what one is this? How can I tell what run it was?
Sorry for the big pic!

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
Are there comparison shoots of the first and second run of the EFX TIEs? What do you mean by highlights?

Here is a TIE pic from Google pics:

Compared it to this there is a difference, but I think maybe the second in just a proto:

Last edited:

Peet_Starkiller

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
I can't seem to upload images to this thread from the phone app I'm using, so I'll use my PC later in the day.
The first pic is the second run of efx Tie (has decals, and the highlights, such as the side "fish" shaped piece, is a different shade of gray than the window frame's German grey and the main hull's haze grey).
The second image is not an efx Tie at all; it looks like a Nice-N-Easy studio-scale kit.

Last edited:

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
Curious if EFX released the first wave to customers and if anyone has them in hand with pics to show

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
Curious if EFX released the first wave to customers and if anyone has them in hand with pics to show

Yeah, this is the first I've seen or heard of the different runs. I do recall them changing the pilot from a GG sculpted Tie Pilot to the Harrier pilot. I wasn't happy about that and would much rather have had the GG Tie Pilot instead!

darthtom

Ensign
Reaction score
Sorry , the photo showed up in the preview, but not the post?
mine is like the one above with the added decals, and different cockpit window and side accent colors. I ordered direct from efx.
I haven't read anything about a change in product before either?

Peet_Starkiller

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
From efx's sale's campaign during the second run:

Versus their first run product:

So be wary when buying an efx Tie otherwise you'll unwittingly get roped in to paying an exuberant price for a second-rate replica.

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score

So be wary when buying an efx Tie otherwise you'll unwittingly get roped in to paying an exuberant price for a second-rate replica.

I'm not sure the first run ever arrived to customers. That is why I'd like to see pics of those in hand and not just stock pics

3phase

Admiral
Reaction score

Mate A second-rate replica is a bit harsh. Different shade of colour for the cockpit ring and missing some decals wow. You must think very little of the small MR snowspeeder and the sloppy painted MR y-wing.

Racer__X

Midshipman
Reaction score
There is no indication there was ever a first- or second-run of the EFX TIE Fighter. Looking back at old threads both here and at the RPF, when the TIE fighter started shipping in October/November 2012, everyone appears to have received correctly painted models with the correct decals. I myself received my TIE fighter late November 2012, and just looked at it; it is painted with decals as the "second run" that Peet_Starkiller shows above. The photos he labeled as "first run" above are earlier prototypes, but I cannot find photos of the TIE fighter in this configuration ever getting into people's hands.

3phase

Admiral
Reaction score
I have 212 bought new and it has decals & Different shade of colour for the cockpit ring.

Trying to sell it tho as have bought a kit with real coolshade.

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
Very nice on getting a kit with coolshade! Post some pics of that when you get a chance if you wouldn't mind, please. I'd love to see it!

Mine is the 2nd version with the decals and I bought it from a dealer outside of efx.

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
There is no indication there was ever a first- or second-run of the EFX TIE Fighter. Looking back at old threads both here and at the RPF, when the TIE fighter started shipping in October/November 2012, everyone appears to have received correctly painted models with the correct decals. I myself received my TIE fighter late November 2012, and just looked at it; it is painted with decals as the "second run" that Peet_Starkiller shows above. The photos he labeled as "first run" above are earlier prototypes, but I cannot find photos of the TIE fighter in this configuration ever getting into people's hands.
Like I already said I think those variants were simply various stages of the prototypes, and never released/sold to the public. We only got the so called "second run" with different gray shades and stickers/decals.

Shadow

Emperor
Reaction score
Like I already said I think those variants were simply various stages of the prototypes, and never released/sold to the public. We only got the so called "second run" with different gray shades and stickers/decals.
I agree Sergiu, fake news is all the rage now. Now we have fake prop news pushing the "second run" story, yet no one has ever reported receiving the "first run" version.

3phase

Admiral
Reaction score
Fake prop news now that was funny. The first run is so rare they are going for more money than the 2nd run ha. Im going to clean the decals off and paint the cockpit ring on mine and add $1000 to the price

Peet_Starkiller

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
I can confirm now (and I do stand corrected, so my apologies) that the first run never made it into production.

Mandible

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
I can confirm now (and I do stand corrected, so my apologies) that the first run never made it into production.

I'm the first one to rip into eFX for the way they run their business, but their finished (actually making it into production) products are fantastic.

Calling this Tie "second-rate" is mind-blowing. The only thing second-rate about it, is that they put some of the decals on upside down (and for all I know, that's how they were on the actual props).

Last edited:

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
We all missed the third run that flies on its own and makes pew pew noises...
That was funny... I actually made the pew pew noises in my head as I read your post!

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
I'm the first one to rip into eFX for the way they run their business, but their finished (actually making it into production) products are fantastic.

Calling this Tie "second-rate" is mind-blowing. The only thing second-rate about it, is that they put some of the decals on upside down (and for all I know, that's how they were on the actual props).
The EFX TIE is a great piece. Even the story with the smaller ball is not accepted by all modelers

Turrican

Captain
Reaction score
The EFX TIE is a great piece. Even the story with the smaller ball is not accepted by all modelers
Yep really a nice model.
But also a bit shady cause of the way to small cockpitball and the mirror inverted decals.
I mean they got the wings correct,all the greeblies,cockpitdetails, the armature and also the painting.
But ****ed up to meassure the correct dimensions for the cockpitball.

Worth the retail price arround 1000 USD, but i would not buy it for the prices which currently pop up on ebay beyond the 2000 USD.
That's totaly overrated for that piece.

Last edited:

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
Yep really a nice model.
But also a bit shady cause of the way to small cockpitball and the mirror inverted decals.
I mean they got the wings correct,all the greeblies,cockpitdetails, the armature and also the painting.
But ****ed up to meassure the correct dimensions for the cockpitball.

Worth the retail price arround 1000 USD, but i would not buy it for the prices which currently pop up on ebay beyond the 2000 USD.
That's totaly overrated for that piece.
It is worth as much as people are ready to pay for it. There are a couple Icon TIEs on ebay trying to sell for $2500 to even $5000, but I don't see those selling for that much. For me the Icons is worth around $1000, EFX more. The thing is no licensed prop will ever be as accurate as a fan made. But I'm glad I have the EFX TIE with its good and bad, and like I said, it is in the top 5 collectibles I own

Boba86Solo

Moff
Reaction score
I've had a very early version of the EFX Tie and it's the same as the later release and number I have now. So as confirmed before, this is a 2nd confirmation that, there is only one EFX version.

Sergiu

Emperor
Reaction score
I've had a very early version of the EFX Tie and it's the same as the later release and number I have now. So as confirmed before, this is a 2nd confirmation that, there is only one EFX version.
If you are talking only about the different plaque numbers, those have no value regarding the exact time when a prop or model was released from the factory.

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
If you are talking only about the different plaque numbers, those have no value regarding the exact time when a prop or model was released from the factory.
This is true!

bighead5

High Admiral
Reaction score
This is true! You could have the first fuselage made with the 1000th and the 200th wings and some other random made wing star covers (for covering the screws) making it a true Frankenstein of numbered parts. It would be too time consuming and problematic for them to use the first made parts in sequence to make the first piece and so on.

Chewiegum

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Does this come with the acrylic cover I see everywhere or was it available separately from eFX (like the one for the X-Wing) or were all of these custom made?
Chris