eFX: Ob-Wan Kenobi ANH Extreme Lightsaber Replica

Reaction score
There is some discussion in the general SDCC thread about this new twist on saber replicas, but no individual love.

I thought I might change that...

Who's ordering a Obi Extreme?

Reaction score
Re: eFx: ANH Kenobi Extreme Lightsaber Replica

I will be for sure. I'm currently editing the several dozen photos I took of it over the last two days. I'll have them posted in this thread soon.

Reaction score

as of now i'm leaning towards not picking this up as my MR version is good enough for me

that could change though but i need to still see more

Reaction score

Perfectly understandable. For me, even with the plastic look of the non-light inside- the effects add a big value to this over the MR. At the same time, I don't own an MR, so I'm not debating redundancy at all.

Reaction score

Here's my dilemma... should I sell the MR one to "upgrade" to the efx?

Reaction score

Hedji said:
NO, this one is a MUST HAVE as a stand alone compliment to the MR one. It is not a replacement, you will want both. I've got literally dozens of images of it that I'm working on right now, I'll have everything posted hopefully between now and Monday night.

(I know, get off my break and start posting the images.)

The lights and sound on the exposed saber is INCREDIBLE, but I don't personally think of it as a replacement, just an additional item to have side by side and have both.

Reaction score

Still waiting for more pics before I decide. I have the MR and this would need to be a significant step up to add it. But Obi-Wan is my focus so I am sure I will cave eventually.

KBA

Reaction score

I'm happy sitting on the fence for now. I own both MR versions, 499 is alot of change to me, and so far I'm not blown away as I thought I'd be.

But I'm a massive fan of the saber design, have yet to hear sounds, have yet to see how good the weather job will be, and have yet to be tempted by the dreaded preorder day

KBA

Reaction score

Shadow, have you talked indepth with the efx team about their take on the weathering job? I know there are different opinions of the degree of weathering and I'm wondering if they're going for about what MR did, a little less beat up, or a little more.

Reaction score

KBA said:
Shadow, have you talked indepth with the efx team about their take on the weathering job? I know there are different opinions of the degree of weathering and I'm wondering if they're going for about what MR did, a little less beat up, or a little more.
Amy, Byran and Barry have all told me it will be weathered. Barry characterized it to me today as all weathered and beat up looking.

I'm going back to editing some images now so I can get some posted rather than just talk about them.

Reaction score

KBA said:
I'm happy sitting on the fence for now. I own both MR versions, 499 is alot of change to me, and so far I'm not blown away as I thought I'd be.

But I'm a massive fan of the saber design, have yet to hear sounds, have yet to see how good the weather job will be, and have yet to be tempted by the dreaded preorder day
Yeah for $500 you could get the 1:1 grievous bust.

Reaction score

Here are my shots from the last two days of SDCC of the Obi-Wan Extreme saber. eFX really needs to create a video to show how cool the ignition sequence is, it really is lost in a still image. The crystal chambers flicker, rotate and change colors as the saber ignites. The sounds are similar to a FX saber on both ignition and shutdown sequences, with a good humming while the blade is on.

These following images moving down show the saber with the correct plaque stand and saber stand which arrived on Thursday.

Okay, here is the YouTube link to the eFX extreme saber in video action from SDCC Link.

Reaction score

thanks agian for the great pics

after seeing your photos i have become much more interested in this

i dont see my self rebuying all my MR sabers in an eFX Extreme but i might have to get one or two and the Obi ANH just happens to be my favorite.

Reaction score

Shadow said:
NO, this one is a MUST HAVE as a stand alone compliment to the MR one. It is not a replacement, you will want both. I've got literally dozens of images of it that I'm working on right now, I'll have everything posted hopefully between now and Monday night.

The lights and sound on the exposed saber is INCREDIBLE, but I don't personally think of it as a replacement, just an additional item to have side by side and have both.
I strongly agree with Shadow - really excellent effects and a different-from-the-usual-saber presence when seen in person. I plan to get one.

MAF

Reaction score

Barry also confirmed today that the innards of the saber on display were plastic, but they won't be plastic in the production piece. Again, apologies if this has already been covered.

Reaction score

MAF said:
Barry also confirmed today that the innards of the saber on display were plastic, but they won't be plastic in the production piece. Again, apologies if this has already been covered.

GREAT NEWS!

Well, there goes $499!

Reaction score

MAF said:
thanks for clearing that up

this ones looking a little better

Reaction score

I want the picture in the back too

Reaction score

Don't like the grenade part
My "must have" is the replica that Russel replica is doing over the RPF with Howard and Serafino.
I am an accuacy lover!!

Reaction score

This one definitely looks like it has good points and potential (it is only a prototype) bad points. The weathering is really going to make or break this one. However the pics in this thread make the insides look WAY better than the previous pics I had seen which is good news.

Interesting that they are going for two washers on the transistors this time.

This is the saber I have most versions of (3 so far, and 2 build-ups from the RPF runs in progress) so I'll probably end up with one - I'll be curious to see how it matches up.

Reaction score

Can someone please upload pics of the legendary Obi ANH Cutaway custom saber which one of our fellow scummers constructed 2 years ago?

in my humble opinion, unfortunately the efx version can not even get close to that custom made cut away. I mean the inside pieces look so plastic and they lack the metal look as well as detail. i have to accept the ignition lights and sounds probably add a lot but we have an extremely SOPHISTICATED conceptual machine that should really look extremely sophisticated with the use of many details and bits and pieces here and there but this one really looks like a mono-block plastic with details painted on it. It lacks the high-end and high-tech look because of bad material chocice.

i can not call this an extreme edition.. it would be so cool if someone could upload that custom cut away next to the efx version so we can compare.. i just cant remember who constructed that custom but i am sure most people here have seen it.. it also had lights and at least 100 metal pieces like the inner workings of an old clock..

ok i just remembered it was Howard from RPF forums.. will try to upload photos if i can find them soon..

UPDATE: http://www.guitaryojedi.com/obicutaway/cutaway.html

here is the link... this i believe is what efx should aim at regading the level of detail and material choice

Reaction score

At first this was going to be a pass for me since my MR ANH Obi weathered LE was just fine for me but now I'm thinking I may have to add this one to the collection. Decisions decisions

Reaction score

Looks good and thanks for the PICs. Can the saber be activated in the closed position? I know you would not see the lights but you would have the sound.

Not sure I care for the saber holder, prefer the acrylic clear material versus black.

And for those who know, has eFx corrected all the "defects" from the MR version?

Reaction score

Must admit I was'nt to keen on the first stand and the 2nd is marginally better. Would be nice if they kept the acrylic supports like the MR sabers.

Apart from that gripe, if this saber is weathered, I would definitely buy.

Reaction score

Does anybody know when this will be on sale?
The pics look really great and i definitely want 1!

Reaction score

I'm still on the fence on this.....I have a Roman's which I weathered myself...not sure if I need another, even if it has the cool insides.

But can someone please try to talk Bryan/Amy/etc to spell it "Extreme" instead of "Xtreme." I'm probably in the minority, but the overuse of X's and Z's (like GG's Kustomz) drives me nuts

Reaction score

thorskywalker said:
ok i just remembered it was Howard from RPF forums.. will try to upload photos if i can find them soon..

UPDATE: http://www.guitaryojedi.com/obicutaway/cutaway.html

here is the link... this i believe is what efx should aim at regading the level of detail and material choice
I don't think it is fair to expect a licensed product to go up against a custom from Howard - his stuff sells in the range
of $1000 - 2000 IIRC.

Reaction score

still a pass for me - I would never diplay like that and really don't want to handle the props too much. Plus there is so much other things I need to save for. Though it looks like it will be very cool for those who pick it up.

Reaction score

btoTHeg said:
Apart from that gripe, if this saber is weathered, I would definitely buy.
As has been said a few times, the extreme Obi is going to be weathered.

Reaction score

I'm in for sure. I can't wait for this saber. I'm such a sucker for lights, and gadgets.

Reaction score

larbob said:
Looks good and thanks for the PICs. Can the saber be activated in the closed position? I know you would not see the lights but you would have the sound.

And for those who know, has eFx corrected all the "defects" from the MR version?
Barry from eFX told me yesterday that the production saber will activate by moving the bubble strip; I presume it will be similar to the way some of the FX sabers activate in the same way. I'll confirm today with them about the newly identified parts being corrected on this version, I know from the past that was one of their goals with this release.

I plan to keep and display mine in the open/exposed manner. For me this one will be a display compliment to my Obi ANH weathered, not a replacement. It will be weathered and beat up in its final form for those who missed that detail in the previous posts, this will NOT be a clean AFBB as currently shown. Most of what is being shown at the convention are samples to give us an idea of what is coming, these are not final production pieces so I would not judge them too harshly on the final display details and finishes.

Reaction score

If it's true there will be no acrylic cover then I'm very disappointed. However, it will be cool to get a lightsaber that actually "does something".

Now if they follow this up with a good Obi-Wan TPM reveal lightsaber... That would be sweet.

Reaction score

Hedji said:
Here's my 2 cents Andy.

I'm going to keep mine displayed 100% separate from other Obi sabers. I've got a Luke ANH Cut-Away from the Hecubus RS run a while back. It's just BEGGING for an Obi Extreme to be next to it. Just a little diversity to the display. Sure it can be displayed both open and closed, but for the money, and the fact that it's another Obi Weathered, I'm going to display it open for all to enjoy