EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

Reaction score
My birthday was the other day, but I was going to be traveling for work, so my wife threw me a little party a couple days before. There was a subtle theme to the celebration...:grin:

Balloons
D4594823-1872-459F-BB57-0C8877FD80DE_zpsueoejzgb.jpg

The cake (baked in a vintage 70's pan no less)
E7EB0E88-83FC-4177-A12F-8A425E8F97ED_zpsqsh2eqn6.jpg

And my present
B12E1778-7C9A-404C-8074-9277A4F4EFE5_zps81xmfrlz.jpg

467CAE10-0CF3-4311-837C-915707A62F56_zpsok6fxyfu.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the PCR helmet! Never thought I'd get something this close to owning the ANH helmet. Sure a fiberglass one might be cool, but you just can't beat what you get for the price with this helmet! (Especially considering after market prices for the Limited and Legend these days)

so happy!!!

Reaction score
How fun is that! Clearly your wife knows what it means to be married to a Star Wars nut. Very thoughtful and appropriate. Now don't you skimp on her next birthday! This is a great helmet for the price I agree. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm newly registered but have been lurking at Rebelscum for years, probably for about the same amount of time I've been collecting.

I recently got my own EFX Vader PCR SE at SDCC this year and have only started to fully inspect it this past week. Has anyone else noticed that the curve of the rim at the neck is different on the left compared to the right? I reviewed all the photos everyone has shared here and it is present on them as well (first page photos, and gabe26's).

To be more specific, one side flares out more compared to the other. The flare is on the opposite side of where the c-scar is, the one that touches the left part of your neck when worn. Even the one at the SDCC and NYCC displays had this flare. It's in the very bottom, left side (when worn), back of the neck.

Was it really in the original prop or is it just a limitation of the mold used for this PCR helmet?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The original mask is all kinds of lopsided, wonky, non-symmetricalness... don't know if the neck flare on the PCR is EXACTLY the same as the screen used helmet, but I've never seen a helmet that has a legitimate claim to being descended from a screen used mask that DOESNT have a lopsided neck flare. In fact, most helmets are much worse than the PCR. I'd guess the PCR is pretty darn close to the real thing. And pictures tend to confirm that. As a general rule for the PCR: The small surface details are cleaned up, but the overall shape is very very close.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, guys! I borrowed the photos posted in earlier replies to this thread (gino's original post and gabe26's photos), and marked the deformed part. At first, I thought the PCR helmet I received had quality issues but held off going back to EFX until I found out more about it. So, just to confirm, the deformed part (encircled) is normal?

Reaction score
Just out of interest is there any news on the special edition or has anyone seen one at a con?

Reaction score
Ahh nice one, I've not seen many people talk about them across forums or seen them on 2nd hand market, plenty of the limited out there tho!

whats your thoughts on the paint job? Do u have any pics up any where?

I think they've been out for a while now. The first time they were opened for public sale was at SDCC last July 2016. I got mine from there. It's also available at the EFX website here:

https://efxcollectibles.com/collect...helmet-precision-cast-replica-special-edition

Last edited:
Reaction score
So is this a good replacement for my MR Vader I had to sell years ago? I've got enough reward points to get it for free from Sideshow. I'm just debating whether or not it's a good piece.

Any thoughts from the masses, as to whether it's a good product to own or not?
Thanks!

Reaction score
It is nice, especially considering how cheap it is, I have both this plastic helmet and the similar older fiberglass Limited version (got this plastic one free due to EFX being slow to send the Scout helmets) and they're not all that different side by side. Much lighter weight, a keen eye looking close could see where the plastic pieces meet, but they look very similar as a whole. I'd wager you could swap out someone's fiberglass lid for the plastic one and they wouldn't notice until they looked closely.

As far as an equal to the MR helmet, I believe the one you'd be referring to is the ROTS one, which was fiberglass. The old EFX Limited or Legend (which were also fiberglass) would probably be the closest thing you could get to that, I think. Comes with a stand and plaque where this plastic one does not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been curious to see the PCR vader. I have the Legend edition that has the imperfections of the original such as the crooked grill, c-scar, and blemished right tusk. I don't believe the Limited or this new PCR has either of those "features"?

Reaction score
I've been curious to see the PCR vader. I have the Legend edition that has the imperfections of the original such as the crooked grill, c-scar, and blemished right tusk. I don't believe the Limited or this new PCR has either of those "features"?
The Limited has the Blemished Tusk and the crooked grill too. Minus the painted C-scar though :eek:

The right tusk always seemed strange on the Limited though, as this was meant to be an idealistic painted interpretation of Vader's helmet??

Last edited:
Reaction score
There was a photo comp out there showing that the limited and legend were the same base helmet under the paint. Prop Den IIRC.

Reaction score
Does the special edition have the same paint job as the legend but in Pcr?

They have a PCR version with the Legend paint applied as an upgraded model. What was sent out so far was the Standard PCR version which resembles the limited as discussed in this thread.

Reaction score
^^^Spoiler Alert lol^^^

This quick photo shows the wonky Grill and Tusk taken on my Limited. Ignore the weathering and C-scar, this was added with a later repaint.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is nice, especially considering how cheap it is, I have both this plastic helmet and the similar older fiberglass Limited version (got this plastic one free due to EFX being slow to send the Scout helmets) and they're not all that different side by side. Much lighter weight, a keen eye looking close could see where the plastic pieces meet, but they look very similar as a whole. I'd wager you could swap out someone's fiberglass lid for the plastic one and they wouldn't notice until they looked closely.

As far as an equal to the MR helmet, I believe the one you'd be referring to is the ROTS one, which was fiberglass. The old EFX Limited or Legend (which were also fiberglass) would probably be the closest thing you could get to that, I think. Comes with a stand and plaque where this plastic one does not.

Thanks mate! This is exactly the info I was looking to get. Guess I found my Christmas present to myself!

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I was about to pick up the special edition before I started seeing a bit of negative feedback and read a not too positive review on the prop den. I know I shouldn't have expected anything on par with the fiberglass helmets at the $200 to $300 range, but I was hoping for something a little bit better, but that's just me. However, I'm also seeing some good feedback as well, and some really good in hand pics, which has me kind of conflicted. I just really wish I had gotten one of the fiberglass helmets when I had the chance. [/FONT]

Reaction score
I am tempted to pick up the "legend" version of the PCR helmet from eFX website. How are they shipping these? Are there any delays and customer service issues? Have they delivered their in stock items on time at the moment?

Reaction score
Pretty comprehensive and an accurate assessment, from a certain point of view. However, I think in some ways it's overly critical, given the price point of the helmet and the other readily available options that don't compare very favorably to it. To put it another way, it seems a bit like a member of a Ferrari owner's club writing a review of a Honda Civic. Correct on all technical aspects, perhaps, but coming from a background that is different from most consumers, and even most collectors, if that makes sense.

Reaction score
There is always the extremes, if we can say so: 1. reviewers who are interested in the minute details compared to regular joe collector, and 2. the so called reviewers who have no clue about the thing they are describing, just saying how much he/she likes it, how nice the paint shines in the sun etc. To be honest I prefer the first review.

Reaction score
I would agree with the fact efx's own description is misleading. Their website says cast from original molds (of their fibreglass version) with no mention of the 3D scans talked about in the original blurb on page one of the thread. And the less said about "all of the surface nuances that many feel capture the true menacing essence of Darth Vader" the better?

Reaction score
Agreed, really just meant that the take-away from some (not here so much as elsewhere) seemed to be (again for some, not all) that the helmet may not be worth anyone's time or money. (Not what I got out of the review at all, mind you.) But anyways, yeah, nice to see a comprehensive review of the thing :)

Reaction score
Guys,
I need some help. I ordered my Vader PCR helmet from eFX website in August. A few days later I received a notification saying that my helmet has been shipped, the FedEx tracking numbers says "Label Created".

Waited for a couple of months, item did not arrive, tracking status still "label created'.

Wrote to eFX customer service in December 2016, they replied by forwarding the shipping confirmation e-mail which was sent earlier. The link status still "Label Created".

Sent several e-mail but I received no reply since then.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had to threaten eFX that i would get Visa involved when they were too inept to ship my Wedge helmet... It was only after that they refunded my money with no explanation as to why they couldn't just ship the helmet... The simple fact remains, eFX is incompetent...