EB Sets being faked!

Reaction score
Hello RS,
I recently bought this incomplete set from eBay from a seller who predominantly sells baggies and mailers.
I also bought last year, unopened complete set of 1978 Mailer Packs that include the first 12 and due to previous purchases I am growing concerned. The loose baggies I have bought from him have had splits, not mentioned in descriptions and are useless for grading.
I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt for being unable to check items properly or knowing enough about them.

This cost over £1000/$1600.

Incorrect catalogue with set but I knew that. What I didn't notice are the other defects not mentioned in description, like the 2005 Hasbro inner tray.

Mail Away offer which is matte paper and slightly smaller than the original but has been deliberately distressed to look genuine. Repro?

R2D2 looks fine until I checked between his feet and on the inner fold of creased up used baggie is piece of tape that has nothing to with seal on reverse. Resealed.

Luke DT no mention of the split in the top of baggie in description, there is no letter on hilt of saber and no tang on the rear of inner. Hands are painted a different flesh colour from neck and look bumpy. Legs are also a matte paint finish. Figure looks great! I think it has been retouched, resealed in an SW-A baggie and cannot authenticate sabre without opening baggie.

Leia is a SW-D with tears and splits in baggie, not to mention it is stained yellow on bag and cape.

Truth is it is money down the drain when I was hoping for a decent Luke DT and R2D2 baggies with a good tray and Mail Away offer.
The seller dropped a line after payment that there was a split in the Leia baggie but Luke was the best he had ever seen but he was willing to cancel transaction as he had an offer on Luke DT; he knows I buy sets to upgrade.
This is not the first time he avoids listing damage on descriptions, the question is he deliberately selling faked and damaged items at high grade prices?I have emailed him back as I only received the item this morning and was obviously annoyed at being duped by inaccurate and false descriptions from someone who should know better. I am awaiting on the outcome!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the seller won't return your money without being forced, you can just open a case with eBay. Go to eBay's conflict resolution center and select item not as described. You'll likely be out for the shipping costs, but at least you can get most of your money back this way. Sorry to hear the bad news. eBay has been rife with bad sellers in regard to "vintage" Star Wars stuff. Just check the "Watch Out!" section and you'll see what I mean. Hope you get this resolved soon!

Reaction score
Whats the sellers ebay name? i think i might have read about this guy.
When did you buy this, can you still open a case?
You might want to put up some good close up pictures of the saber,
cheers

Reaction score
Hi,

I am giving the seller the opportunity to take item back and am awaiting a response to my emails and eBay case. I have bought from him 5 times before; twice on loose baggies which were described as mint but had splits, this EB faked set, so the track record for all loose items is 100% inaccurate descriptions.
Twice on sealed items; a Bossk mailer that has been with UKG for a month but I am more concerned over the 4 Mailer Packs from 1978 which cost thousands, I am hoping his sealed items are genuine.

I bought the EB Set on 16th Feb and it arrived today on the 18th Feb. Opened it seen it was a POS and emailed the seller for answers and reported it as not described.

If it is a benefit to buyers I will name him as others might have had similar occurrences, especially as his mint baggies have all been split and it would be worthwhile to compare others feedback.

There has never been a problem with comms before and I have even left him good feedback at the same time as emailing him to let him know that he needs to declare the damage and stop calling everything mint when it is unfit for grading.

Reaction score
waffen, I'm with Aussie on this. You should probably reveal his name. At least this way the rest of us Scummers know to steer clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Waffen if he has sent things to you before with false descriptions and he has done it to you here again on a big ticket item, imo other collectors need to be warned, selling open baggies without declaring it is poor form by anybodies standard, and especially on an item like a DT luke, its very poor form and some might fairly jump to the conclusion its devious and deceptive form.
I certainly wouldnt deal with him, and this watch out forum is for sellers exactly like him imo, cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seems fair enough,

He has had prior notice on his descriptions before and I have just accepted it as a loss buying eBay items with inaccurate descriptions: j10e5f6f6
I reopened the shipping box I sealed after taking the original pics to get some more for the DT Luke. As soon as I get reimbursed the EB Set is going back and no doubt will resurface in its individual components.

This is the SW-A original tape hidden in a fold on the baggie with new tape applied. Why not check for reseals before selling as mint?

Lukes DT has flesh coloured paint on blank hilt and inner with no tang on end.To me it looks repainted but could be factory sloppy. There is a blue dot above right eye and hair, hands and legs are bumpy matte paint. I don't think the factory painted figures after the LS was fitted. I am used to seeing glossy or a vinyl paint.

Would like to see if saber is original but am not going to risk any potential for causing further damage to baggie by attempting to pull it out.

The only thing going for the Set is SW-D Chewie and sealed pegs bag, everything else is deliberately misleading as to the condition and authenticity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It does suck about the damaged baggies, but they are still gradeable, just not high grades. The R2 pics are hard to see, but if you see double tape, not good. The Leia pics are also unclear, but a tear or slit is still not good. The Luke Seal looks fine from the supplied pics, and no red flags on that one. The tray appears to be the original tray, as the 2005 one has a much larger flange and is entirely different in actual shape. Paperwork if opened up and laid out, I could tell by final measurements if you provide, but looks like a reprint since finish is not an even gloss on the blacks. If original, gloss should be on paper and ink, not just the inks and should be even with no apparent difference in thickness. Repros on paper would have gloss differences and appear like a matte white paper.

Overall,

luke in split baggie, sill $600-800, R2 if opened still $50-60, Leia $50-75 with slits, tray if uncracked $300-400, catalog $5-10, Chewie $125 ish,

SO street value $1125-$1585 if parted out. If the paperwork is real (doubtful) add $200-250 even with stain.

Not far off in value with today's prices, but still you never would buy in the condition if stated by seller.

What it should have been as described:
Luke $1000-1200
Leia $125-150
Chewie $125
R2 $200
Paperwork $350-400
Tray $300-400
Catalog $50 (if correct early one)

So $2150- $2525

Sucks, but you should be able to get a refund...

Reaction score
Hello Roger,

I compared the Mail Away offer with an original when I seen it wasn't glossy paper and it felt flimsy, the dimensions are slightly smaller in size to the loose ones I have and paper thickness was not the same. It is also not folded in the same place as the originals were. Definitely not the same as four other originals in my possession.
I think you are right on the tray as I compared it with other sets and realised that the position of the 1/2 circle is actually on the outer sides on a tray I have and I was comparing it to only one other original set; where the 1/2 circles are on an inside vertical to Luke and Chewies right. I don't have an open re-release to compare it with. I didn't check tray for cracks but there was a hole in a compartment. That comparison tray was from a Set I had refused at UKG because of a split in the baggie on a Leia from the same seller. UKG are strict about grading baggies and refused the EB Set due to a split bag, the bag and cloak were both stained in the same position - I thought the reason was because it allows the weapon to be tampered with. Because of this I will not send split baggies for grading as it is a waste of my time and money.
Everybody who has loose baggies knows they fracture in straight line splits when handled and need to be treated with care and stored properly to prevent any deterioration.
The Leia baggie pics did not show up well and has two rips in the top seam of baggie, the cloak and bag are stained on the reverse. The seller told me there is a split in the baggie post sale at the bottom. The gun is the blue green version.

The good news is Luke might be legit - would need to be authenticated?
The tray is authentic with crushing to corners which is normal but has a hole.
SW-D Chewie and pegs is fine.
Leia damaged baggie and stained cloak.
R2D2 resealed baggie.

Original description:
Vintage Star wars 1977 Early Bird Mailer Set with "The Luke Skywalker Double Telescopic Saber Variant" Still sealed in his Original Mint SW-A Taped sealed Baggie . Set also includes the rare White tray with Princess Leia, Chewbacca in SW-D sealed Baggies, R2D2 also in a SW-A Baggie with the sealed white pegs bag. Both the accompanying broacher and instruction sheet are included although the instruction sheet seems to have some odd stains. White tray is in very good condition with a few creases to the edges and a hole to the top where luke sits . Slight yellowing to leia's tray back and also to the rear of her cape (apparently this to do with the guns different type of plastic ) Sorry has no Box.

Thanks for everyone's input and the help with validating authenticating pieces.

Reaction score
I have a reply from Jeff,

and thought I would post it as honesty is the best policy, of interest is Mr Baggies aka Frank Mewes confirms these as all genuine! Didn't look closely at the R2 and probably didn't see the tray, catalogue or Mail Away offer when appraising these baggies.

All baggies were sent in the tray with paperwork over the front in a ziplock bag which was wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box with styrofoam chips but Luke was not in this condition when sent? I don't see how it got damaged in transit and why the rips in Leias bag is not mentioned until after payment was made.

I expected an answer on the descriptions used for selling this EB Set and previous purchases that I let slip.

I have got my answer and do not want to risk buying anything from the seller in the future.

Hi Mark! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner via massager as I run my own business & am very busy during the day, Just got home. I just thought it would be better we spoke person 2 person as it would be much quicker than me typing an essay and ive nothing 2 hide? But if you just want a record of thing then that's fine. Can I just say that your attitude is so not called for Especially when you accuse me of selling fake goods???, I read that with my mouth on the floor and with total shock . I have been collecting VSW for over 20 years now, Hoarding stuff for the future which is about now and am selling stuff to help fund running a home, family and wife. I have mostly all the records of stuff I have brought and sold so can track most back to source. Im 100% Genuine and never had any issues with any other buyers or other SW item/s. I pride myself on my Feedback as you can see, A faker would not last five minutes! This pack is genuine and I checked with my good friend Frank Mewes of the SWFUK who is know as Mr Baggie and he confirms all these as genuine. He has purchased 100's of baggies from me, Looking through the archives these tray seems have a couple of variants with the small dents in different places, but a 2005 tray it is SO NOT!. Im really upset that you say the Luke DT baggie has split to the top as he was perfect when I sooo carefully packed him. Even went to trouble of packing him in an over size box. I told you about leia before I sent her and you say it was ok? I have not got another info sheet so can not match it with another . I brought this as is and sold it straight on so no tampering by me. Off course I will refund you as soon as I get it returned but don't know what to do regards the split luke bag as he makes up most of the vaule? You have no worries regards the mailers as Ive had one guy grade them with AFA at a U90 and they have been opened, Have a look for yourself. Item No:291065173820. Don't know what else to add? Regards Jeff

I can't upload the pics from eBay but I believe that there is a distinct clear crescent on the bag at the seam above the back of Lukes head. This would be from seeing the surface beneath the bag through a single layer of plastic instead of two from a sealed baggie. Hopefully the link will work so you can judge for yorself:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111280181053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
Reaction score
Frank - any input or comments?

Waff - keep us posted on the refund and the other items you purchased, thanks.

FYI - I have purchased from the seller in the past and found him to be a good guy and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been speaking with the seller (Jeff) via email yes, as he asked my opinion regarding the set & my first words were that although I have a lot of understanding regarding baggies, EB sets are something I know much less about as I do not own one myself.

I then said that the tray looks genuine to me as does the DT luke baggie & from the photos I got via email the baggies did all look correct for the set.

I never commented on the paperwork as I have no knowledge about those items what so ever, as I have never seen one in hand.

I did not know about the R2 being double taped at the time of my reply's, but I still can't see evidence of double tape on your photos as they are sadly not clear enough to be sure, I am always happy to have a look at them for you if you want to send me some full size photos via email, if so drop me a pm for my email addy & I will give you an honest unbiased opinion.

I have seen your emails to the seller also & have to say I can understand you being disappointed in getting an item that is not in the condition you expected it to be, as one assumes things to be described accurately especially on such high end & expensive items, there is a however a better way to approach the situation IMO, as accusations are not always well revived & I would have suggested "asking" the seller about the issues rather than abruptly telling & accusing them as it may well have been a wiser option under the circumstances.

I have dealt with the seller many times & have indeed bought many baggies & baggie related items from them, 90% has been spot on, but I have also had the odd item which I have felt was not correct, each time I have made the seller aware & they have refunded me in full no questions asked & every baggie I have had that has not been right, he has always taken back & then opened for his collection of mint loose figure, you can't really get fairer or more honest than that IMO.

Most things with the right buyer/seller can be easily resolved with clear concise & pleasant communications IME.

As for the split on the Luke baggie - as you have yourself stated in this thread "Baggies need to be treated with case and stored properly to prevent any deterioration", we have all been in this situation at some point during our collecting journey, be it a MOC with yellow bubble that has cracked in transit or a baggie that has split in the post, I am not saying it has or it has not, just stating the obvious risk when it comes to having old & fragile items sent in the post, one always runs the risk of damage & if it happened in the post & the item was packed well, I would say its a 50/50 thing at best, as it would be unfair (IMO) to ask the seller to burden the "whole" cost of the loss/drop in value of the item.

I am not taking sides here, just saying it as I see it.

I can not comment on the authenticity of the double telescoping sabre as I have never owned one, so don't know what to look out for on the weapon.

UKG will grade baggies with splits & tears in them assuming they are small enough not to allow the weapon or figure to be removed.

& lastly I am always happy to help anyone with baggie I.D/info & authentication if I am able to

Reaction score
I have not had any problems when communicating with Jeff and he has always sent items straight away. I have only left good feedback as he has a constant supply of baggies and mailers. I thought I could rely on him.

I can only comment on the condition of loose items not being up to the description. This is why rather than put items away for sorting into collection later, I opened this straight away to check. It had only been a week or so since I'd opened his parcel containing a Boba Fett baggie described as mint and I emailed him to let him know I couldn't send split baggies for grading after his Leia baggie was refused by UKG. That was twice and I still gave him the benefit of the doubt but being misled three times in a row is not coincidence.

The 1st pic in post No7 shows the old tape on the inside of the fold between R2's legs, the pics from post No 1 show the baggie resealed on the back of R2 with new tape. It is easy for me to see as I was able to inspect it first hand.

As already pointed out it has been confirmed the tray is authentic and it is the repro Mail Away offer, resealed R2 and damaged baggies not mentioned in description that is at fault here and it is the third time.
Jeff is 100% behind refunding money I just need him to send his home address so I can return the items.

Steve at UKG can confirm he refused an EB Set because of the Leia baggie and I am still waiting on an answer if he will grade the Boba Fett baggie.

You have read the eBay description and seen the pics. I have sent Jeff the good news on the positive feedback from the items sold and he will probably make more back by selling items individually with accurate descriptions on conditions.

All I ask for is an accurate description from any seller.

This thread was started originally to get feedback on the pics posted for the items sent, especially resealed figures and fake paperwork. I do not want to drag names into the equation.

Reaction score
I was not trying to be confrontational in any way shape or form, but I think your taking it that way (I do hope not) I am just trying to be of help here if I can.

Like I said I have not seen clear photos of the R2 tape seal, in the ones you posted above, are there 2 lots of tape? as it is a little unclear, as I can see one (clear tape) in pic 2 & a small end section of a tape seal (seemingly somewhat yellowed) in photo 1 but its not clear from the photos if the 2 tapes are 2 pieces or one piece of tape mate??, this is why I asked for full size photos via email if possible so I can accurately ascertain what's what with the seal(s) before commenting further without all the facts at hand.

I am not disputing you had a set refused at the graders either? & I am sure if you contacted the seller he would take your points on board & come to a satisfactory resolve for you on other items you have had from him as he always has done for me, I myself bought 2 "mint" Boba Fett baggies from the seller & both were indeed mint, both have since been graded at UKG one at 85 the other at 90, so no issues with the ones I had, "razor type slits" in baggies are not always obvious, I put one up for sale myself a little while back & on inspecting the photos noticed a few hairline type razor slits in it & on close inspection when moving the plastic about between my fingers I saw the slits very obviously, but TBH I had never noticed them before & I have owned that baggie for a number of years & have looked at it often totally unaware of the slits, ESB-a baggie are the worst for this IME, prime example being IG88 in this baggie type, almost always slits in it, which is a case of the plastic breaking down/degrading over time.

I did not name names either, his name had already been posted above BTW or I would just have used the therm "the seller".

You say the thread was started to get feedback on the items, but then the username of the seller was put on the forum for all to see, which as you know can easily harm a sellers reputation & impact sales, you also stated you opened a case against the seller with ebays resolution team at the time of contacting him, when a simple request for a refund may have done the trick, I am again not trying to point the finger of blame, just saying there are ways & means & if there are problems often communicating with sellers can resolve issues easily, if not you always have buyer protection to fall back on if things do not move quickly or in the right direction.

As for the tray - its was initially in question & thought by yourself to be a late re issue Hasbro version, I was just confirming what I had thought about it in my communications with the seller (as I stated), not saying the items authenticity was still in question which is obvious from the thread.

As for this All I ask for is an accurate description from any seller - yes in an ideal world we would all love every seller on ebay or anywhere for that matter to give a clear/accurate & detailed description of the item for sale including any defects/damage & fake/reproduction parts to be clearly stated as such, unfortunately we do not live in that ideal world & a lot of the time you get barely nothing in terms of clear descriptions from sellers, I try to make a point of asking questions if an item becomes available that I am interested in if the description is brief, especially if the item is of a high value, I always add this to my listing when selling on ebay - if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask via the "ask seller a question option" as I am always happy to help.

FYI & that of anyone reading this, I suggested via email that if the seller re lists this as a set that they add a more extensive description clearly stating any issues with the item(s) that have been pointed out & add plenty of pictures.

Reaction score
Hello,

I will PM you the pics if they are not going full size when you click on them, but please read all the posts. Roger had already confirmed that the tray was authenticate earlier and the Luke DT seal looked fine. I was asked to name the seller for the benefit of others to see if it was a common occurrence and get feedback, I did not want to mention Jeff's name to avoid this kind of to and fro. Your rehashing the same points that is not do with the thread.

I do not know when you originally viewed this set as Jeff also told me he passed it on for immediate resell after receiving it? In answer to your R2 tape question, it is two separate pieces of tape as per the pics. The old tape is on the inside of the fold between the legs and the new tape is on the back over the opening. It even has a piece of yellow fluff in there.

If Jeff wants I will re-open the parcel and take more photographs than the ones already sent. I can also help him with identifying the differences between the Mail Away offer he sent and an original to avoid EB sets being faked.

Reaction score
The pictures are opening larger, but to be 100% sure full size images via email is the best option, as the photo size limitations of hosting sites & the forum massively limit details, pm'ing me the photos will not show full size photos as they were taken FYI.

I know Roger had already confirmed the tray & seal as I stated above if you care to re read my post, I have read every post in great detail to make sure I have all the facts at hand & clear in my mind prior to posting any replies, I would suggest you please do the same, as I stated clearly that the tray was initially considered to be a fake by yourself which I had discussed with the seller via email prior to posting here as I also clearly stated above if you would care to re read my post.

As I also clearly stated above in my previous post, I did not name the seller, it was done by another member in the first post on this 2nd page & as also clearly stated I would have only refereed to as the seller not by name, I wish you had considered the same prior to using my full name in the thread which I had until now been courteous enough not to mention, but I am not exactly overly excited about it may I add.

I am not as you put it "rehashing the same points that is not do with the thread" I am merely stating the points in question & suggesting an approach that may well have resulted in a more favourable response for us all Mark, I say all of us as you decided to name me in the thread & I am just making sure my voice is heard if its a case of my name being brought in to question - "QUOTE" of interest is Mr Baggies aka Frank Mewes confirms these as all genuine! Didn't look closely at the R2 and probably didn't see the tray, catalogue or Mail Away offer when appraising these baggies "End Quote" I only saw the photos the seller had in his ebay listings & the ones he had storred on file that were forwarded on to me via email, none of the photos seem to show a split in the DT Baggie, as said from what I could see of them all were correct SW-a baggies, I did NOT, comment on the paperwork as I have stated & would have appreciated a pm rather than my full name being used directly in a negative way on the open forum.

If the R2 has 2 lots of tape then it has been re taped or double taped at the point of being sealed in the factory, I would suspect the former with there being 2 tape colours though & I am sure the seller would sort this out with a replacement or refund if requested, as I am sure they would with the entire set, that however is not my decision & it is down to you & the seller to sort out between yourselves, I was only trying to be of help even though my name had been used on the open forum with not so much as an is it ok to do so from yourself prior to doing so.

I am sure any help you can give the seller in identifying any possible fakes/reproduction items & how best to spot them would be taken on board & appreciated, that is however another thing you need to take up with said seller, I often help him with baggie questions & he does the same for me in return if there is something he can answer that I don't know about as do many other collectors/forum members, as we all try to share what we know in order to further understanding of this till now not very well documented area of SW collecting.

Reaction score
Not that Frank needs anyone to speak for him but I think you're being a little harsh with the criticism and especially the tone you are using toward someone who has entered this topic purely with the intention of helping you out.

No wonder a lot of the more knowledgable people around here are hesitant to stick their necks out to help when they are faced with these sort of replies.

Good on you Frunky your knowledge on baggies is always appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello Frunkstar,

I'm sorry but the seller used your name regards verification and now we find out that you haven't seen them but were sent pics, at least we are getting closer to the theme of the thread, what will help is if the seller can say who he bought the R2 from and faked paperwork. His lack of accuracy in descriptions is moot at this time.

Reaction score
Not that Frank needs anyone to speak for him but I think you're being a little harsh with the criticism and especially the tone you are using toward someone who has entered this topic purely with the intention of helping you out.

No wonder a lot of the more knowledgable people around here are hesitant to stick their necks out to help when they are faced with these sort of replies.

Good on you Frunky your knowledge on baggies is always appreciated.
Hello Bluedog,
Nice to see you sticking up for Frank but I have done nothing but reply to questions, provide pics and stick to the facts. I asked for help on establishing authenticity and was led into a debate on the conduct of the seller and who knows who on RS. I am more interested in who supplied the set to the seller and then RS will know who is resealing baggies and faking paperwork.

Reaction score
Thanks walkie,

Jeff has confirmed this and is looking into uncovering the original supplier which is good news.

For the benefit of the thread I have taken some more pics to try and cut down any misunderstandings going on.

I re-opened the set again to take more pics for everyone's satisfaction. Persevere with the pics please for where the 2 different sets of tape are. The old yellowed tape is between R2's legs and is under 2 layers of polythene from folding over the baggie and is harder to see because of this; but it is easy to spot the new clear tape on top of the baggie opening which starts just below the drum of R2's body and goes over the opening of the baggie. If the baggie was unfolded you would see old tape on one side and clear tape on the other side.

To clear up the Mail Away offer I have photographed the counterfeit with an example of the original so you can compare the differences for yourself.

My comparisons are based on the EB Sets I own and used for reference.

I hope this helps and it doesn't take to long to find out who the originator is.

Reaction score
Hello Frunkstar,

I'm sorry but the seller used your name regards verification and now we find out that you haven't seen them but were sent pics, at least we are getting closer to the theme of the thread, what will help is if the seller can say who he bought the R2 from and faked paperwork. His lack of accuracy in descriptions is moot at this time.
Just because the seller used my name is no reason to use it on a public forum, the seller has said he will not do so ever again due to the circumstances & could not have been more apologetic about the fact either may I add.

Closer to the theme of the thread?, seems like a bit of a witch hunt from what I have read to date, the facts -

You bought a set that was not correct

you did not request a refund

you opened a case against the seller

you opened a watch out thread here before coming to a final outcome regardless of it turning out right or going t1t's up

You dragged my name on to the board

I tried to be of help

I got no thanks & shot down for wanting to help?? :confused:

The facts re the set

Luke DT baggie is damaged at the top, was this there before being shipped or has it happened in the post - hard to be 100% but I could see no splits in the photos, so as said before its 50/50 at best

The R2 does indeed look to be re taped so not acceptable

The flyer - as stated I have no idea

The solution, request a full refund & if you don't get one open a case & then claim your monies back & do not trade with the seller again, simple!, then if if you have to go through with a case, come on the forum & do a watch out post.

& as for the 2 other baggies you were not happy with - why not return them at the time for a full refund or possible replacement rather than accepting them, sending them in for grading & then being unhappy with the choice at a later date after leaving good feedback for the items? - I just don't get it at all.

I have replied to both your pm's now I have had time as I have been busy all day, I have given you the exact same advice in those pm's & asking me why I have not replied to your previous pm only hours after sending it - what???, I have a family & other commitments that have to take priority over talking toys on line, sorry but I am sure most of the guys here are not on hand 24/7 due to life commitments.

I really have done my best to be of help to both yourself & the seller, but this will be my last post on the subject, as this seems to be a circular argument.

Reaction score
The set has gone back,

From the information gathered so far; seller has been conned with this set and has given his word that Luke was not split before sending which is good enough for me.

I did ask to return the set on receipt before this thread started due to its condition and received confirmation of the return address last night. Thanks to those who have helped establish the facts from the pics and descriptions used. Questions to my veracity turned this into a can of worms but it is on track with helping identify faked EB Sets.

Excluding Leia, the condition of the figures are high and it is a pity the dark blue dome R2 is a re-seal but still worth buying for those not chasing sealed figures for high grades.

Hopefully we will find the originator of the set and discover who is faking high end parts for EB Sets and selling them as authentic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would first like to say, you have some awesome items. I too have dealt with Jeff, but I had no problems with any of our transactions. I purchased many items from him & some are very htf & very high end baggie figures. All I can say is that Jeff must have been duped himself & was not aware of the descrepancies that were listed. It can be a task to distiguish a reseal & reproduced items. I am sure we all have had or known of someone that has been fooled by some of these newer reproductions. As technology evolves so do people that create repro items, just as we see counterfiet bills & documents. This was just to state that Jeff is truly a good guy & I am sure he had no ill intentions. I hope all works out for you & I have to say you are very lucky to own as many eb sets as you do as they are pretty hard to obtain complete. Keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with 1. Bravo on your eb collection again, they are just stellar.

Reaction score
Hello CloneTrooperDan,

Thanks for feedback and your right on the difficulty in spotting the unusual, you need a good reference and help with the authenticity, especially nowadays. If the Mail Away had been printed on glossy paper without the deliberate ageing I never would have thought it iffy. It was only through the questions on the post that made me get an original out to compare it.
Incomplete EB Sets are quite regular and there are some nice ones on eBay. Start off with a set that includes a decent tray and box. Any paperwork is a bonus, but the catalogue and offer come up often. Last but not least is replacing the all important figures for grading. This will give you a complete EB Set, only a sealed or U-Grade would assure me that an EB Set has not been upgraded with a better condition part using another EB Set. Oh! and it takes a long time.