Dune

Reaction score
Star Wars' sister movie is coming back for a remake.

(& Yes I subscribe to the theory the SW & Dune take place in the same universe, different eras)

dune-poster-promo.jpg

Reaction score
I love every version of Dune, but I honestly think we have yet to get a complete version....

Reaction score
True. But I think it's just so encompassing that no one wants to tackle it, especially not over the course of several movies. I thought we might get more when they re-imagined it for Sci-Fi several years ago, then did Children of Dune. But then it went no where.

I'm impressed with some of the visuals and of some of the stars. Not sure I like that metallic armor though. Or why Oscar has to be in every Sc-Fi pic. lol

Reaction score
I describe Dune 1984 as a movie that’s 2 hours & tried to include all 7 Harry Potter movies plus what’s in the books.

I would love to see a proper tv series, you could literally get 2-3 quality seasons & still not get out of the original book. :)

Reaction score
Maybe with all the streaming sites doing their own TV shows these days, it's not too far fetched of an idea! Seems like a good fit for probably Amazon, or even Netflix considering how they handled The Witcher.

Or maybe Showtime now that Game of Thrones is over.

Reaction score
I think the more corporate channels would stray from the story and we would wind up with a bastardized version much like The Hobbit. Hbo would be all like more sex scenes and boobs. I dont think the Baron should show his boobs...lol

Reaction score
In essence, what Lord of the Rings is to fantasy, Dune is to science-fiction. The lore is, at first, pretty overwhelming. They once said Rings was just not possible to do on film....or at least if attempted, it couldn't be done justice. Well...it was. If there's ever been a Dune version I have high hopes for, it's this one.

Reaction score
Some of the stuff coming out is really starting to look promising, i hope this does well enough to get an actual franchise out of it and tell a complete story.

I can't count how many times something was started only to be left with one movie, biggest upset being John Carter...

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic that this forthcoming 2-part Dune film will possibly do the first novel justice. It looks great, but we'll see what the final film(s) actually look like.

I read the novel as a kid many years ago (early 1980's) & really enjoyed this; only read the first one, not the subsequent ones in the series.

I remember seeing the first Dune film theatrically in early 1985, and being extremely disappointed. What a steaming pile of crap. Though I later became a huge David Lynch fan (Twin Peaks TV series, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, etc.) this film is an embarrassment.

Much later, I started to watch the 20XX's Dune mini-series (sci-fi channel) but for some reason couldn't get into this. However, based on the little I saw, I strongly suspect it was superior to the '84 film.

That being said, I also believe this forthcoming third adaptation will blow the first two out of the water. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Didn’t know it will be two parts. It looks pretty cool. Hope it’s the big scale Sci Fi movie we need!

Reaction score
Thanks Saddest for the preview, I didn't know about it, I did enjoy the 85 movie, why? I had trouble reading the book as it was written. I do not have comprehension problems. I had tried to read the books over the years and-no. This preview is worth watching, looks a lot like Star Wars and other aspects in some cases. Since I haven't read the books, I will give this rendition a chance.

Reaction score
David Lynch’s 1984 version of Dune was badly butcher during the editing because there was too much footage for a single movie of that era, but not enough footage for two movies of that era, also Dune was heavy over budget due to all this extra footage.
But, if it wasn’t for this version of Dune, Star Trek-The Next Generation could have been totally different because Captain Jean-Luc Picard wouldn’t have been Patrick Stewart instead it could have been Mitch Ryan (Kyle Riker) that play the greatest Captain in Starfleet & maybe later Professor Charles Xavier.

The Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune in 2000 had a much smaller budget than David Lynch’s version & was filmed in the UK, the cast were mainly British & European talent that were unknown in Hollywood. This version had more of the book in it than David Lynch’s version because it was divided into three parts, such as Gurney Halleck’s talent wasn’t just killing his enemies, but also playing a musical instrument better than anyone in the galaxy & Paul Atreides / Muad'Dib (Alec Newman) being forced to marriage Princess Irulan Corrino (Julie Cox) to cement his new position of Emperor of the galaxy.
The Sci-Fi Channel also did the second book Children of Dune 3 years later most of the cast would be the same, but some would be replaced by acting talent that were known in Hollywood & joined by more British unknowns to take on the roles of new characters from the second book. One of these unknowns would be a young man that played Muad'Dib’s son Leto, later the same actor would take on the role of the Professor Charles Xavier that was made famous by Patrick Stewart, a young man by the name of James McAvoy, so without both version of Dune wouldn’t be any X-Men movies worth a damn.

This new version has more stars than most Hollywood blockbuster, taking them other from other movies franchises, such as a couples from the Marvel Movies, a pair from the DC Movies, a second pair from the Mission Impossible Movies & finally another pair from some franchise called Star Wars, oh I almost forgot one of the best bad guys from the whole the James Bond franchise.

Most of the new cast have big shoes to fill from one or both previous version of Dune, but the character I am most worry about from this new version is Gurney Halleck being Josh Brolin because he has the biggest shoes to fill from both previous version (Patrick Stewart from 1984, P.H. Moriarty from 2000), but I think he maybe up for the job like the rest of the new cast.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Dune when it open because I think this version will be the closest to the book, but it has been close to 30 years since I tried to read the original novel.

Reaction score
I was actually going to comment on how weird it was that both Professor X actors also had a part in Dune. lol

Reaction score
I remember when we went to see Dune as kids, and they handed us a pamphlet type of thing. It had a dictonary in it.

Reaction score
Personally, I liked what the director did with Blade Runner: 2049. I have high hopes he will do great things with Dune. He seems like just the right director for this kind of story/movie.

Reaction score
Lets just hope they do a better job at attracting the "average audience" for Dune, because to the unaware this could be too odd and daunting to care about. That trailer while good for me tells the average person nothing about the movie or why they should go see it.

The current Movie Theater drama is also not helping matters with the uncertainty of when if we'll even get it this year, or have to wait til early next year.

Reaction score
Maybe David Lynch’s 1984 version of Dune was made too early because the book was way too complicated, but during the time of the original trilogy, every studio was trying to cash in on the success of Star Wars. Most of these films were rush into production & made for kids, Lynch’s Dune wasn’t one of these movies because it wasn’t PG movie, it was a PG-13 that meant it was made for teenagers not kids. But like a few other clones of Star Wars, there was Dune merchandise, I never own anything, I do recall seeing them in a local toyshop, but let face it, if I had a choice between buying Luke Skywalker-Jedi Knight or Paul Atreides / Muad'Dib or He-Man, I don’t think I need to say which one I brought. Also, about that time my cousin gives me a chunk of his Star Wars Collection because he was turning 13, so he was doing what most teenager did either selling on his toys or past on his toy collection to somebody who was a bit younger. So, who was the Dune merchandise for meant for kids that most likely hadn’t been allowed to see it or teenagers that were starting to get rid of all their toys?

You see, I say that because I didn’t seen Dune upon it release at the Cinema & wouldn’t see it until about late 1986 or mid 1987, I know it was about that time because the friend that lent me his copy of Dune did so just before his father pasted away, he would also lent me the novel to read just before his family left my village in summer 1987. This is the same guy that rent me his copy of some book, he said would never be turned into a Movie, I think the book was called Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, I am pretty sure I saw a movie with the same name about 19 years old.

Now, he used Dune to as example why Lord of the Rings couldn’t be made, he said that Lord of the Rings was just too complicated like Dune, but as I said this was back in the late 1980s. The last time I run into him was 1999, during the opening night of The Phantom Menace, he told me that there were rumours that Lord of the Rings was about to start filming & the end result would suck worse than Dune, my respond was that with the right director, the right crew & the right acting talent anything is possible & I used the movie that we had just watched as my example.

Here hoping that the new Dune has the right director, the right crew & the right acting talent to make it the success it should be & that will lead the rest of the Dune saga finally making it to the silver screen.

Reaction score
The studio is being cautious, only adapting the 1st half of the book. They did the same thing with IT....when they should have shot them simultaneously or back to back. Its all about return on investment.

Reaction score
David Lynch’s Dune may not have come together as originally planned but after being familiar with what happens in the book I have to give him credit for including as much as he did. Despite some condensed storytelling the movie is still heads above most of the sci-fi slock that came out at the time.

He also made a permanent impression on the look of all future Dune projects.

Reaction score
I watched the 80s Dune movie recently, this year. It had been many years since I had watched it last. The only real problem I had with it after watching it recently was the dialogue. Just really lame dialogue. The actors were great, IMO, and they probably did the best they could with the script. I think they did OK with the plot as well in order keep the movie a reasonable length. I suppose they felt they needed to keep things simple for the regular audience not familiar with the story, so they could follow along.

I have the miniseries on DVD. I think it aired on the Sci-Fi channel way back when. I may give it a watch soon.

Reaction score
I still watch it from time to time, it's a decent Classic to revisit now and then but does have its issues here and there. Even with that it's still far more re-watchable than a lot of other movies, some from large notable Franchises. I remember back when I first saw this when I was young, probably around ten, I liked it if not fully understanding it at the time. I've always liked Sci-Fi genre and while this one was far more in depth than most were back then I somehow didn't let that deter/bore me.

The Miniseries simply allowed the advancement in CG to make some things look better than they did/could in the early 80's. And it also allowed for more i depth story to the characters than a 2 hour movie could.

Reaction score
Altough some hard stuff to swallow, especially for those people not knowing the books, I really loved the new movie 🤩🤩👍🏻
Sure , its kind of slow paced and streched at some parts, compared to the old Lynch movie, but due all the prophecy theme, it feel kind of epic, somewhere along the line of the LOTR movies.
Anyway, when it started I was ethusiastic when thr title showed "Part One", but only to be disapointed a few hours later when I read, the studios want to wait for the final box office numbers, before they decite to do a sequel.
Just learned, that production of "Part Two" has now been confirmed and set for release Oct. 2023 😊😊👍🏻

Reaction score
The date is also telling that they had planned a part two for some time, not just recently. Besides it's all moot really until the Discovery deal is finalized which mean things could still change. WB greenlighting a movie now just prior to a takeover when their jobs are in question seems premature. That said I do feel Discovery will still make the sequel at some point after the purchase is final because they know quality content.

Reaction score
Trust me they already spent quite a bit on pre production for part 2, they just needed the box office numbers before officially announcing it. Especially given the very long history of trying to get Dune on screen.

Reaction score
I saw the new movie last night, it was well made, but it was chopped in two episodes. I saw a lot of extra footage and action that was not in the 84 version, Were these scenes from the book? I tried reading it but the way it was written made it difficult. If I had not seen the 84 version, I would say this was an excellent movie, but please tell me, I did hear a lot of the 84 dialog in this one repeated, Was this the same dialog in the book? or just taken from the earlier movie? In repeating this earlier dialog, it did help me to put the scene in place with the other movies rendition of the story.
I will watch the 2nd part.

Reaction score
I describe Dune (the un filmable movie) as trying to cram all the Harry Potter movies into 90-120 minutes then still being expected to know what happens in the books.

Honestly the Dune book could easily be a quality tv show with 2-3 seasons in just book 1.

Luckly the new version is more viewer friendly than the heavily edited 84 version but I can easily see why it’s not a favorite with 1st time viewers. (It’s Dune)

Reaction score
The original 84 movie, had a lot cut out of it by the studio. It was the TV edit that most people have seen where they edited back in some story. However this caused David Lynch to disown the film.

The behind the story about the making of the different Dune projects is just as interesting as Dune itself.

Reaction score
I describe Dune (the un filmable movie) as trying to cram all the Harry Potter movies into 90-120 minutes then still being expected to know what happens in the books.

Honestly the Dune book could easily be a quality tv show with 2-3 seasons in just book 1.

Luckly the new version is more viewer friendly than the heavily edited 84 version but I can easily see why it’s not a favorite with 1st time viewers. (It’s Dune)
I agree Dune probably would have done better as a series due to so much going on, trying to fit it into a movie or even two three hour ones was never going to be enough time to truly tell the whole story. Which it never is with any Book adaptation really.

I mean if Amazon can do Wheel of time, and Apple can make that other epic sci-fi series I feel that telling Dune stories in this format is now just as easy.

Reaction score
I loved it.

Personally, it's one of the most visually stunning science-fiction films I've ever seen. So many shots look right off the cover of an old pulp sci-fi magazine. Utterly GOREGEOUS! My biggest concern was, well, it wouldn't get a Part II. I'm glad to hear it's confirmed now.

That concern stems from, well, I was worried many would simply find the film boring. It's not really an action packed flick - it's much more political intrigue, character, and backstabbing. That's not to say that there is no action, it's just not really the point. Think more Game of Thrones than blockbuster action spectacle like SW. I think it'll appeal more to those who like, say, Lord of the Rings or Trek - more character heavy stuff.

But Part II is when the action much more ramps up, like the later LOTR films. But I loved it. I thought the acting and dialogue was on point from all. I was also concerned that some audiences might have felt fooled by the star power as many roles AREN'T in this much. It's really the story of Paul and Lady Jessica, they're the focus. So when big names like Zendaya, Momoa, Brolin, Bardem, Bautista, and Skarsgard are (more or less) barely in it...I thought it might tick people off. Obviously some will be bigger roles in Part II.

So I'm very grateful the follow-up WAS confirmed. I'd have been furious if it tanked and we only got HALF the story.

I actually love David Lynch...at times (he does go a bit far at times for me, but I enjoyed Mullholland Drive, Twin Peaks, Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet so long as you look at them as kind of like dreams)...but not so much his Dune. It's too much Lynch, not enough Dune. It reminds me of what happened to Batman Returns, too much Burton and not enough Batman. But I do like aspects of both of those films....but I think they're both highly flawed. I don't hate them, I just have a bucket of issues.

One thing I really enjoyed about the NEW Dune was Baron Harkoneen. In the Lynch film, I felt he was so over-the-top and even downright silly. When he's floating around he looks like a popped balloon, it's comical. In this new version, it's downright menacing and intimidating - nothing silly or unintentionally funny about it. You almost get the sense that he "floats" as a symbolic way of representing how he looks down upon people.

Another real stand-out was Oscar Issacs. I love this guy. Even in SW films I dislike, I like him. He's had such an interesting career IMO. He seems to do it all. Indie films, foreign films, blockbusters, artsy blockbusters, the works. I think he's unbelievably talented. He was fantastic as Duke Leto.

I have a rather interesting history with Dune as a series. I've actually owned the book for probably 15 years, yet I've still never finished it. It's a real intimidating read. It's often compared TO Lord of the Rings, just the sci-fi equivalent. It's not that they share much narratively in common at all, it's just that the world building is so in-depth it almost feels like homework to understand what's even happening and to keep all the characters, houses, cultures, and made-up words and such straight. Now it's not that I dislike it, quite the contrary, it's just almost an undertaking to read - of which I'm a hypocrite as I absolutely adore Tolkien's novels and know them to a tee. I've often re-tried to read the novel, every few years, and I just....can't. It feels like too much dedication.

So with that said, I appreciated that the film seems to have retained, like the LOTR films, the gist of the novel and stayed relatively accurate to the heart and spirit. But even more so, I appreciate that it sort of streamlined the lore to make it more accessible and understandable without requiring that said sort of homework to do to just simply understand the narrative.

So needless to say, I highly enjoyed it. I knew when Denis Villeneuve was announced as the director and co-writer, after seeing Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 (of which I was UTTERLY opposed to making a sequel to that masterpiece...and he convinced me....I was wrong)...we're going to have something truly special on our hands. Dune (and Bladerunner 2049 for that matter) did not disappoint me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In fairness, whilst I don't think Lucas RIPPED OFF Dune for Star Wars...I do think the influence is utterly blatant. There are countless examples of what had to have inspired ideas for a Galaxy far, far away. I mean, my God, it's all over. Not that all are identical, but think on it...

Tusken Raiders - Fremen.
Arrakis - Tatooine.
Harvesters - Sandcrawlers.
Bene Gesserit; a group of mystics that advise - Jedi
The Voice - The Force; moreso Jedi Mind Tricks.
Evil Emperor - Evil Emperor.
Sandworms - pseudo Sarlacc Pit; The Krayt Dragon in Mando - though Lucas didn't write that.
Paul Atreides - Luke Skywalker ....and Anakin in ways.
The Baron - Jabba the Hutt in SOME ways.
Duncan Idaho - Han Solo in SOME ways.

It goes on and on. I mean Dune uses old world visuals with lives in sci-fi. Star Wars uses old world concepts, like a lightsaber (sword) with a sci-fi concept. Heck ANH even mentions the SPICE mines of Kessel, the EU even expanding upon that and mentioning spice is a drug! I think it pretty cool to note that Dune def. helped influence what became SW.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In fairness, whilst I don't think Lucas RIPPED OFF Dune for Star Wars...I do think the influence is utterly blatant. There are countless examples of what had to have inspired ideas for a Galaxy far, far away. I mean, my God, it's all over. Not that all are identical, but think on it...

Tusken Raiders - Fremen.
Arrakis - Tatooine.
Harvesters - Sandcrawlers.
Bene Gesserit; a group of mystics that advise - Jedi
The Voice - The Force; moreso Jedi Mind Tricks.
Evil Emperor - Evil Emperor.
Sandworms - pseudo Sarlacc Pit; The Krayt Dragon in Mando - though Lucas didn't write that.
Paul Atreides - Luke Skywalker ....and Anakin in ways.
The Baron - Jabba the Hutt in SOME ways.
Duncan Idaho - Han Solo in SOME ways.

It goes on and on. I mean Dune uses old world visuals with lives in sci-fi. Star Wars uses old world concepts, like a lightsaber (sword) with a sci-fi concept. Heck ANH even mentions the SPICE mines of Kessel, the EU even expanding upon that and mentioning spice is a drug! I think it pretty cool to note that Dune def. helped influence what became SW.
Not to mention fairy tales, Joseph Campbell, Grail lore, John Ford Westerns & Akira Kurosawa films.

Last edited: