DUNE Part II

I will be comparing the 2 movies together! I did this when the first most recent remake came out a couple years ago(it seems) I tried to read the books, but couldn't, so I tried to memorize the first movies whole dialog and compared it to the remake, almost identical. But why remake it and have it in two parts, years apart? I wonder if I will still pick the first ,older show over the new one?

The Director wanted to shoot them back to back but WB didn't, plus it was happening during a rough time in Hollywood for watching movies in Theaters. So I'm sure they wanted to put some distance between the two considering the financial losses taken on the first movie by placing it om Max day and date nonsense.

While I still have a fondness for the older movie, this new one does a better job in telling/showing the story unfold. The only aspect that takes me out of the experience is seeing some very familiar faces who I associate with other characters. And I've never cared for a certain oafish actor that IMO doesn't fit the role but was cast because of being a rising star with WB. So for me the original cast feels more organic.

I do feel as a two-parter it allows a deeper dive into the characters than before and a chance to do the material justice, you simply cannot tell the Dune story in one 2 hour movie.

I tried reading the books-forget it! that was after I saw the first movie too. I guess you can say the first movie could be a summery of the long book(s) I will watch the 2nd part and look for new stuff the other may have missed.(I need a "summery" version of the book-in modern English too)

Dune…..
1A5B1D83-C929-405D-86CD-DEC2A34D60A4.gif
The B & C side stories have A B C&D stories of their own.

There is a reason this was considered unfilmable by most of Hollywood. It’s like taking the Harry Potter films condensed into 1 2 hour film then still referring to stuff from the books.

Last edited:
After this move I've ultimately decided that I now will not see this in Theaters and will wait for Blu-Ray. I guess I understand it from their POV, I just feel that it's not the same old way it used to be anymore and that red carpets don't do jack for average people. And in truth with our digital age all you really need to promote a film is a good marketing campaign, I don't really know how much stars promoting a movie really it play into it anymore. Personally I've not watched the late night circuit in over a decade, so I'm not sure how much that helps. Maybe the older generation stull hooked on cable.

I hope the strike can be remedied soon, I support the writers and they need credit for their work and paid fairly for it. maybe soon, there will be digital actors walking the red carpet? or the Academy Awards will be cancelled due to actors being replaced by digitalized and computer generated replacements! things will get boring then.

Possibly so, but I feel that once that bridge is crossed there isn't any going back. If you can successfully make an all AI film then there would be no reason to ask any of them back, writers or actors. And lets face it, "star power" has been fading fast, outside of a few outliers who are still big name draws at the B.O. movies aren't what they used to be.

Now I have no intention on ushering in an era of Alitta Battle Angel type movies as i still find it too jarring to look at. In an era where mostly gamers are likely consuming content I doubt anyone would even notice.

Uh-oh, If the industry started replacing actors with AI representatives, the "real" actors would probably sue the studios for using their appearance without permission! and if they did get permission, the actors could get shortchanged in payments! another strike of some sort! I like real human actors.

I wonder how much of the dialog is similar to the old movie? it looks like the expansive sets and scenery are the winning points according to the previews I've seen? I saw the first part and I guess I'll see the second one, but hope there are more differences from the older movie.

Yes that is a weird popcorn bucket but not sure if it even looks like a worm?

Definitely excited about this film.

I wonder how much of the dialog is similar to the old movie? it looks like the expansive sets and scenery are the winning points according to the previews I've seen? I saw the first part and I guess I'll see the second one, but hope there are more differences from the older movie.
The 84 movie had a few cuts 🤣
With the original theater release having the most story cut. Honestly it’s amazing they were able to get as much of book 1 in the 84 film as they did. So it makes a lot of sense that they cut this version into 2 movies.

Part 2 will tonality be similar with a lot more action. The big question is how they will handle the end because the 84 film didn’t get into the consequences of what happened.

I honestly don't know how that bucket got pass anyone in the meeting not putting 2 & 2 together when they saw the opening.

I guess one could substitute it for a Sarlacc pit if they wanted to.

My husband saw the bucket and his mouth hung open! he said it was horrible! he remembers the first Dune movie worms, I called my nephew(I indoctrinated him into Star Trek and Star Wars when young!) and told him to look it up, he's not on forums, I told him that if he had said bucket and didn't feel good, it would be perfect to "get sick" in!

It was pretty good, I'm not as blown away by it as everyone else seems to be, particularly the critics that are gushing. You'd think it's been a decade since they've seen a good movie with some of the hyperbole reviews. lol

I honestly thought the pacing was a tad slow in parts considering how long the movie was which simply made if feel bloated. Though I guess that's because I know the story and thus not as interested in some interactions taking time to play out. I felt that for as long as the movie was, they sure didn't divulge much info. The scenes that I felt deserved more time were too short while the ones I felt should have been had more time went by quick. That said it's still good and in ways more than the original movie.

I'm also looking forward to the third installment, this might end up being one of the best trilogies ever made.

I just got out. Masterpiece. First science-fiction film I've ever actually shed a tear over.
OMG... Mine was the ending of TWOK when Spock dies. In fact, it still has an emotional pull every time I see it, and I now know that he lives, that's how well the scene was done!

I'll honestly be shocked if this doesn't win the Best Picture Oscar. It's sure to be nominated. And overall, yes, science fiction doesn't have a good track record at the Oscars as far as the "big" categories go, but I say... neither did fantasy until Lord of the Rings came along. And Dune is the sci-fi cinema equivalent, IMO. If the staunch and pretentiously elitist academy were ever to recognize science fiction as a legitimately credible genre, this version of Dune would be the one to do it. As for pop culture in general, well, I feel like I walked out of the equivalent of what SW was for the late 70s and early 80s or what Lord of the Rings was for the early 2000s. There's one every once in a generation or two. This is that today!

I think it does a have a very good chance, I do feel the academy has come a long way in recent years and recognizing a good story even if it is inside Sci-Fi. At the same time I feel as if there's still a tad bit of elitism among the voters who feel Sci-Fi is beneath them simply because of the genre's past and it being primarily bad. If there is any Sci-Fi epic that deserves the nod/nom it is probably Dune. And personally, I don't know that I would lump it in with Sci-Fi, it feels more like fantasy to me similar to Star Wars. Nothing about Dune screams "backed by scientific accuracy". lol

It's mostly about prophecy and the dangers of believing in a messiah figure to save you, 95% planetary based adventures , political intrigue involving royal houses/clans. The only aspect I consider classic Sci-Fi would be the spaceships allowing travel to other worlds, and some land-based craft. Their weapons aren't that futuristic, other than the personal shield.

I watched part 2 last night, I thought it was pretty good. I am probably in the minority, but I still like the 1984 version as well.

I think it does a have a very good chance, I do feel the academy has come a long way in recent years and recognizing a good story even if it is inside Sci-Fi. At the same time I feel as if there's still a tad bit of elitism among the voters who feel Sci-Fi is beneath them simply because of the genre's past and it being primarily bad. If there is any Sci-Fi epic that deserves the nod/nom it is probably Dune. And personally, I don't know that I would lump it in with Sci-Fi, it feels more like fantasy to me similar to Star Wars. Nothing about Dune screams "backed by scientific accuracy". lol

It's mostly about prophecy and the dangers of believing in a messiah figure to save you, 95% planetary based adventures , political intrigue involving royal houses/clans. The only aspect I consider classic Sci-Fi would be the spaceships allowing travel to other worlds, and some land-based craft. Their weapons aren't that futuristic, other than the personal shield.
Yeah, Dune is difficult to classify. It's such a spiritual story, really. But I would say it's probably most associated with science fiction. Dune's...kind of strange, admittedly. It's one of those stories that's not for everyone, so when I do hear people say, "It's boring" or "I can't get into it," while I don't agree, I do understand where they're coming from.

I myself have tried to read the book twice in my 20s. And I struggled and put it down. The issue with it is somewhat akin to Tolkien, which I often compare. While LOTR and Dune are very different stories, their world-building and exploration of fictional cultures are so deep and immersive that it can get overwhelming really fast. They're pretty similar in the general sense of their unparalleled levels of depth. That's probably the only thing they really share, but they're similar in architecture. Frank Herbert and, to a lesser extent, Tolkien have a bad tendency to basically assume the reader is already familiar with all these fictional terms, names, cultures, etc. without even really explaining them. I'd say Herbert is worse at that, but Tolkien does do that occasionally too. It can get very, well, confusing. Broken down, to truly and fully understand it, it almost feels as if you have to do homework first. So I do think these two films really found a happy balance between introducing the worlds of Dune in a more accessible way without having to dumb it down too much.

And this flick just reminded me of my proposed theory/idea of how BOBF should have ended, that being that Boba shows up riding the Rancor, but is flanked by hundreds of Tuskens, bringing the past and present stories together in a fulfilling way. I remember predicting Boba would become, basically, Lawrence of Arabia, but I was sadly wrong. But I'm watching this movie and thinking maybe that's why they didn't do that; it's too akin to Dune, which was clearly influenced by Lawrence of Arabia. I also forgot how much Dune influenced Star Wars. Obviously, they're not carbon copies, but Lucas totally stole concepts, for sure. And so when there's the scene where Lady Jessica's and, by proxy, Paul's true lineage is revealed, my dad even whispered to me, "Man, George really did take a lot from this." Now, sure, it's more indirect than the Luke/Vader revelation, but having a blood connection to the lead antagonist is there. I completely forgot about that. I'd like to attempt to read Dune again; maybe after seeing the film, it'll be a bit less overwhelming now that I have a bit more familiarity with some of its concepts. I've owned the damn book for like 20+ years, I owe it another try. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Dune rewards thoughs who researched it so you get more out of additional viewings. (Like who are all the background people are etc)

Spoiler:
The revolution of the ansestory isn’t as impactful as they skip a lot of the background info.

Chani’s story is a little more realistic in this version but they also rewrote part of it (The first child was skipped, & never explained the concubine vs wife scenario.) Which only works if they plan to continue the story. Timelines were slimmed down from years to less than 9 months.

Yeah, Dune is difficult to classify. It's such a spiritual story, really. But I would say it's probably most associated with science fiction. Dune's...kind of strange, admittedly. It's one of those stories that's not for everyone, so when I do hear people say, "It's boring" or "I can't get into it," while I don't agree, I do understand where they're coming from.

I myself have tried to read the book twice in my 20s. And I struggled and put it down. The issue with it is somewhat akin to Tolkien, which I often compare. While LOTR and Dune are very different stories, their world-building and exploration of fictional cultures are so deep and immersive that it can get overwhelming really fast. They're pretty similar in the general sense of their unparalleled levels of depth. That's probably the only thing they really share, but they're similar in architecture. Frank Herbert and, to a lesser extent, Tolkien have a bad tendency to basically assume the reader is already familiar with all these fictional terms, names, cultures, etc. without even really explaining them. I'd say Herbert is worse at that, but Tolkien does do that occasionally too. It can get very, well, confusing. Broken down, to truly and fully understand it, it almost feels as if you have to do homework first. So I do think these two films really found a happy balance between introducing the worlds of Dune in a more accessible way without having to dumb it down too much.

And this flick just reminded me of my proposed theory/idea of how BOBF should have ended, that being that Boba shows up riding the Rancor, but is flanked by hundreds of Tuskens, bringing the past and present stories together in a fulfilling way. I remember predicting Boba would become, basically, Lawrence of Arabia, but I was sadly wrong. But I'm watching this movie and thinking maybe that's why they didn't do that; it's too akin to Dune, which was clearly influenced by Lawrence of Arabia. I also forgot how much Dune influenced Star Wars. Obviously, they're not carbon copies, but Lucas totally stole concepts, for sure. And so when there's the scene where Lady Jessica's and, by proxy, Paul's true lineage is revealed, my dad even whispered to me, "Man, George really did take a lot from this." Now, sure, it's more indirect than the Luke/Vader revelation, but having a blood connection to the lead antagonist is there. I completely forgot about that. I'd like to attempt to read Dune again; maybe after seeing the film, it'll be a bit less overwhelming now that I have a bit more familiarity with some of its concepts. I've owned the damn book for like 20+ years, I owe it another try. :ROFLMAO:
If you thought the book Dune was hard to get through, wait until you get into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. All bets are off for God Emperor of Dune with its long dialogs between the Leto sandworm and cloned Duncan Idaho. It pretty much goes off the rails at that point.

Which is why I think it probably is a mistake to do that as a third installment and is best left to a TV movie or series. As it is these two movies are not doing well with average moviegoers as the first one feels too long and boring while the second feel again too long and a lot to take in an understand. It's not some easy ride like most films today where you go in a watch some fluff and leave. Not to mention most of the audience truly didn't understand the story when all said and done with most of them likely just captured by the Chalamet and Zendaya pairing.

Which I totally get bty, what better way to attract normies than to get two up and coming actors that seem to be popular among that crowd. The one criticism I'll give is that due to some of the changes it almost feels like it's not really Dune at all or that it's an alternate universe. lol
They ended the second movie way too soon in the story that we didn't even get Paul's sister thus they had to change the way you know who dies. Which to me the scene in question felt anticlimactic.

Back