Sorry, but my camera card was full and I was unable to take in-progress pics of this one, guys.
The background wall is just acrylic paint on foamcore. After it had thoroughly dried, I 'inked' it like comic book art with a fine-tip Sharpie. (Had to make two trips to Wal-Mart to buy one, because there's only a tiny difference between the blue and the black markers, and I was in too much of a rush the first time to notice. Grrr.)
The base is foamcore and spackle. I built up the basic shape of the rocks with cutouts of foamcore which I glued together with simple white school glue. In hindsight, it would have been much faster to use a heated wand on styrofoam, but oh well...
After the general shapes were done, I spackled over them. A few coats of acrylic paint followed that, as well as an overnight session with weights on top of it because the foamcore had begun to bow severely from getting wet and then drying several times. It still has a noticeable bow, but it was originally much more pronounced.
I thought that to match the 'inked' look of the backdrop, perhaps I could cut strips of black thread and glue them to the base, but just as an experiment, I tried the fine-tip marker on the three-dimensional surfaces as well, and it worked like a charm.
It's got a rough handmade look to it, but that's kind of what I was going for, an attempt to replicate the no-shading simple-line style of artist Jo Duffy from that issue.
Another necro-post, as I haul things out of storage and take some new photos.
So the inspiration for this dio was this particular panel of the comic book, Marvel #96, "Duel with a Dark Lady".
I still don't have any in-progress pics, naturally, but I *did* find this old 2008/2009 sketch of what I wanted to make.
At the lower right, it talks about my original idea (mentioned in a 2009 description above) about gluing on twist ties or thread. Luckily the fine-tip marker proved much easier.
Here's a new shot of the dio empty.
This shot of the underside and backside reveals that the sky was done on white foamcore while the ground was done on black. Which leads me to suspect I was simply using leftover scraps from other dios made around that time.
A back angle of the ground piece illustrates what I mentioned in 2009: how the pieces of foamboard were stacked and glued together to create terrain. It was only spackled on the front side.
The black lines were added last, so they kind of trail off on the underside of this promontory, as I couldn't get the nib of the marker in there.
It's got some discoloration spots on it from storage...
... but at this point it's MUCH faster to digitally paint those out than it is to make another dio from scratch.
I was a bit dismayed when taking the pics to see that the bottom piece of foamboard was slightly warped. The warping is mentioned in the older posts from 2009, but if you compare the front edge of this one to the front edge of the pic in the very first post, the bowing has changed direction over time. Weird.
And this one's my favorite, with the image cropped to hide the borders completely.
I hope everyone who saw it before appreciates the better images. I hope everyone who never saw it enjoys the concept and execution.
It was actually one of the things I was growing concerned about not being able to find in storage, so I was very relieved when I finally found it; I'd folded it more or less flat, and hidden it UNDER the bottom level of a shelf unit.
I'd also tucked the Evolutions figure of Shira Brie in there with them for good measure. I'm not really sure why... ;P
Very cool, love how you can create such beautiful vignettes for very specific figures. Didn't you do one for the Mcquarrie figures? I mean the one with concept Chewie, the droids, bearded Han and Female Starkiller? I'm about to embark on working on something for those guys myself soon as well as a little Mcquarrie Vader vs. Luke mini dio. Inspiring work, sir. Keep raising the dead.
Yes, that was one of mine. The background was a printed image that has slightly faded over time, though not as badly as some of my other printed items. I've been trying to group all of my loose 'concept' figures and vehicles into one 50 gallon plastic storage container, instead of tucked onto random shelves as they were acquired. Amazingly enough, I may have to start a second one for my carded figures. And I still haven't found the McQuarrie Cloud Car or Speeder Bike yet.
DB, I also had to restore the old image in the very first post. Luckily I'd imported a copy into an album on Facebook a few years ago, before the link over here died. I may not be able to do that for other threads, though.
These are really fun! There are lots of scenes I would like to do from the various media. I jut wish I had the time and space for them all.
Yours looks right out of the comic book. I especially like the rocks as they make all the difference. Your diorama is a real upgrade from just a printed background.