Droid Collectors Unite

GNT

Reaction score
This thread was requested by Darth_Bugga.

Just like those who build Clone Troopers, this thread is for Droid collectors. What droids do you collect? Share your droid collection pictures and thoughts here.

Reaction score
Dang! I wish I could throw pics of my droid collection but I am not in a position to do so for some time, but I have every droid vintage era through modern as well as a number of customs. I love astromechs especially and have bought every version of every astromech including the numerous R2's that have come out.

Reaction score
I fear I've waited too long because I still don't know the astromech sets from EE.

What I find quite hard to find are astromechs from battle packs - and R2-R9, especially. This one is very, very, very hard to find here.

As a general theme in collecting, I'm tending towards collecting figures that look somewhat strange, odd, interesting, unique, fascinating, and, well, not at all common. The more fascinating, the better.

Therefore, droids are the perfect thing for me: They usually look very odd.
wink.gif

Aliens, too, by the way.
wink.gif

What I personally fear right now is that astromechs might become what the clones are right now: An unspeakable pool of variation. It might become just too much. Too many of them being produced, perhaps.
But, astromechs are not really good for army building (which I can't afford anyway), because of their unique paint schemes.

Well, I'm looking forward to future astromechs meanwjhile wondering ow I might get those of the battle packs - because too often there's only one figure or two in battle packs I really like.

Reaction score
Likewise! I have all my droids in display cases on the walls and some recent remodeling work knocked most of them over, so I have to set them all up again.
I have almost very droid from vintage to modern (although the vintage pop-up lightsaber R2 has eluded me so far - I don't have an arm and a leg to spare for one right now
smile.gif
), although due to the number of repacks I've decided to only get new or repainted droids in the 2008 lines onwards.

Reaction score
I have spares of both EE droid packs which I've tried to sell for my cost (somewhere around $36 per pack - but don't hold me to that, I'd have to check), plus shipping, but this has proved to be too much for people so far. (Depending upon where you are in Europe, this might seem like a good price to you, if you've got a favorable exchange rate).

I'm also having trouble finding the droids from the battle packs. Also, I don't have many of the build-a-droids yet because if you have to buy four figures you don't want to get one droid they work out &%$#@ expensive!

Hey - I've got a question for other droid collectors. Do you collect Grievous? I do, on the assumption that he's at least part droid. (On that basic reasoning, I don't have the pre-cyborg Grievous, because he isn't).

Also, I'm not an EU fan, but I thought Durge was at least part droid because of his look, but from what I've read recently I guess he's not at all.

Reaction score
Darth_Bugga said:
I have spares of both EE droid packs which I've tried to sell for my cost

Please PM me with a list. I could always use extras...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Hey - I've got a question for other droid collectors. Do you collect Grievous?

[/QUOTE]

I own one Grievous figure, but I don't consider him a droid. Sure, he's part droid, but then, for that matter, so is Vader.

Reaction score
Oh dear,

/Sets up thread camping gear

NOW where were we? Oh My Favourite characters, Astro droids!

Reaction score
Anybody else display the Tomy r/c astros with their Hasbros? I have R5-X2 and the clear R2-D2 and they look great with all the rest! Certainly better than those horrible R7 things!

Reaction score
Darth_Satan said:
Anybody else display the Tomy r/c astros with their Hasbros?

I do, I have an R2, R5-X2 and R5-D4. They do look good. I need to get the clear R2 as I could use it as background fodder and pretend he is another atromech.

Reaction score
I would REALLY appreciate seeing some of those Tomy remote control units near regular Hasbro ones for scale.

Reaction score
I have (all?) 7 of the Tomy R/C astros. They're just a little bit bigger than the Hasbro droids, I'd say.

I think I'm going to display mine separately. They look kinda neat with their lightsaber/controllers alongside.

Reaction score
Force_Guy said:
Darth_Bugga said:
I have spares of both EE droid packs which I've tried to sell for my cost

Please PM me with a list. I could always use extras...

I'll respond to this here, just in case other readers aren't familiar with the EE packs.

Pack #1 has: R4-A22, R2-C4, R3-T2, R2-Q2 and R3-T6.
Pack #2 has: R4-E1, R2-X2, R2-M5, R2-A6 and R3-Y2.

I can sell each pack for $31, or each droid for $6.20 - plus shipping. Or, I'll trade each droid for a complete build-a-droid.

Reaction score
I'm wondering when Hasbro is going to tap into the potential goldmine that is Blastromech Droids. It seems like it would be cheap enough to just make a new droid head and stick in on the excisting Astromech body then repaint the crap out of it.
On a current product note...I do like that Protocal type droids are getting better articulated and I wish Hasbro would come out with more of the clear headed versions of the Astromechs. I don't mind all the re-paints because, much like with the clones, I just get the ones I like.

Reaction score
LOL. I'm a hardcore droid collector. I have stuff from POTF2 to current era. I've currently delved into customizing the droids, and these B-A-D pack ins are awesome for it. I have plenty of leftover parts from droids that quickly get assembled on to this new RA-7torso! I have a giant rubbermaid tub of droids though, need to get them all out and display them sometime.

Reaction score
Ha! Are there any?!
wink.gif

Personally I'd like to see any pics. I haven't got a webhost for mine and can't seem to drag n drop them into a post here on my new mac like with everything else. They are all up on Facebook though.
I love astromechs and have every unique design released except R7' s which I abhor. POTF R5 was ditched at resculpt and I have 3 or 4 R2D2's only, mostly extras from pack-ins. I have lately been considering going back and getting the rest but there are tons of them and they are all rather similar. Any good pics of all the R2D2's since POTF2 together out there?

Reaction score
would be nice to see a comprehensive astromech list like the one that was created in the clonaholics thread.

Reaction score
I've got a database of all the droids I have. I'm in the process of putting it online, but I might be able to put together some kind of list to post here.

As to Battle Droid army building - That would be a sight to see! Dozens or even hundreds of battle droids lying on their sides with one foot in the air! - At least, that's what my BDs look like after a couple months
smile.gif

Trevor

Reaction score
I build a pretty good sized battlrdroid army of the Ep1 Figure which is a pretty good sturdy plasticm, none of them have ever went floppy, they line up in formation REAL nice

Reaction score
i love droids!
i have alot of stuff packed away right now because of an overly long extended lazy redeco of moving the shelves into different rooms and all sorts of things.
but heres a couple pictures of the droid shelf i have at the moment,missinf a few still because the shelf got full
smile.gif

006.jpg

007.jpg

008-1.jpg

and just for fun this is a few shelfs up and you can see a few of my non star wars droids.
009.jpg

i always get curious what r2 people choose to display?
because i have so many but dont like displaying multiples because they arent that different. so i like to go with the serving tray one because it stands out alittle from the other mechs.

Reaction score
Here goes:

OT:

R2-D2 (Normal colours - LOADS of them!!)
R5-D4
R3-T2 (white with brown head)
R3-A2 (orange)
R3-Y2 (green)
R5-F7 (red/ yellow)
R2-Q5 (black)
R4-M9 (green/ stripes)
R4-M9 (Star Tours/ turquoise)
R4-I9 (black)
R3-D3 (blue/ red)
R5-D2 (Star Tours)
R3-T6 (red with clear head)
R4-E1 (red)
R2-Q2 (grey)
R2-X2 (black with white head)
R2-D2 (silver)
R5-J2 (black)
R2-D2 (white/ comic pack)
R2-KT (pink)
R2-D2 (clear/ radio control)
R5-M2 (white/ grey head)
R4-D6 (dark blue)

PT:

R2-B1 (blue)
R2-R9 (red)
R2-C4 (yellow)
R2-A6 (green)
R2-M5 (purple)
R2-T0 (grey)
R5-X2 (red/ radio control)
R3-T7 (yellow)
R4-J1 (white/ green)
R4-A2 (orange)
R4-G9 (bronze)
R4-P17 (purple)
R4-K5 (Darth Vader/ grey)
R4-M6 (Mace Windu/ purple)
R4-H5 (Kit Fisto/ green/ orange)
R4-F5 (Plo Koon/ blue)
ARC-170 astromech (blue/ red)

That's all the different "characters" according to my collection list. Resculpts like R2D2 number 212 and the various different silver ones aren't separated because I don't bother
smile.gif

Also left off R7s and concept/ animated stuff because they are just too hideous for words and don't fit in IMO.
The above list contains all "film canon" releases. There are also quite a few EU ones in there that fulfil the vintage mini-rig requirement of looking good enough to have been just "off-screen". Astromechs are the ONE exception I make to include EU in my modern collection.

Reaction score
Great list, Satan, it pretty much agrees with mine...except the R4-A2 (orange) from the EE pack should be R4-A22 and you forgot dear old R1-G4 (green).

There's also some more B-A-Ds coming (and I noticed you didn't list the R7s), plus two more new astros coming in '09 have been announced. These are:

B-A-D
R2-N6 (Red/black)
R5-A2 (Orange/white)
R7-T1 (Blue/white/pink)
R7-Z0 (Yellow/white, black dome)

'09
R3-S6 (Black, gold dome)
R5-K6 (Red, black - from Scramble on Yavin BP)

And, if you're interested, the following droids have been identified in the SWuniverse but haven't yet been modeled:

R1-?? (Grey)
R2-A1 (Black)
R2-A5 (White/green)
R2-D1 (White/red, silver dome)
R2-D3 (White?, silver dome)
R2-G2 (Grey/blue)
R3-O1 (Blue/white)
R4-T8 (Another name for R4-A22?)
R5-A1 (Black)
R5-A7 (White/yellow)
R5-D8 (Identical to R5-D4)
R5-H6 (White/purple)

Trevor

Reaction score
Here's a fairly updated list, copied and pasted from the 30th AC forum. The Hoth R2-unit and the post-WM BADs aren't in there yet, but I think character-wise (not counting R2 and R5-D4, it's complete).

astromechs06-30-08.jpg

1. R5-X2 (Jabba’s prequel)
2. R5-J2 (ROTJ Death Star offscreen)
3. R5-F7 (Lt. Lepira EIV)
4. R5-D2 (Star Tours)
5. R4-E1 (Bo Shek’s)
6. R4-M9 (Star Tours)
7. R4-A22 (E2 Dexter’s)
8. R4-I9 (E4 Death Star)
9. R4-M9 (E4 Devastator)
10. R2-B1 (E2)
11. R2-Q5 (E6 Death Star II)
12. R3-D3 (Star Tours)
13. R2-R9 (E1 Amidala’s)
14. R4-G9 (ROTS Obi-Wan’s)
15. R3-T7 (AOTC Coruscant)
16. R2-M5 (Naboo)
17. R2-D2 (Marvel)
18. R4-P17 (ROTS Obi-Wan’s)
19. R3-Y2 (Hoth Rebel)
20. R4-M6 (Mace’s Clone Wars)
21. R2-C4 (Amidala’s)
22. R2-X2 (E4 Theron Nett’s / Red 10)
23. ARC-170 Astromech (EU Clone Wars)
24. R2-A6 (Ric Olie’s)
25. R2-KT (EU)
26. R2-Q2 (Biggs’)
27. R3-A2 (Hoth Rebel)
28. R3-T6 (E4 Death Star)
29. R4-K5 (E3 Vader’s offscreen)
30. R3-T2 (E4 Mos Eisley)
31. R2-T0 (E1 Watto's)
32. R4-H5 (EU Kit Fisto's)
33. R4-F5 (EU Plo Koon's)

Reaction score
Ya know, no offense to anyone, but as much as I like astromech droids, I could never bring myself to add R2-KT (aka Breast Cancer awareness droid) to my collection.

Reaction score
Force_Guy said:
Ya know, no offense to anyone, but as much as I like astromech droids, I could never bring myself to add R2-KT (aka Breast Cancer awareness droid) to my collection.

No offense taken. Some of us, though, like pink.
grin.gif

Reaction score
Edit: While I purchase all types of droids, the only ones I'm worried about being up to date on are astromechs.

This is the most recent picture of my astromechs. I've added R4-J1 since then, but I'm still missing one because I refuse to purchase Yarna.

astros.jpg

E_CHU_TA said:
and just for fun this is a few shelfs up and you can see a few of my non star wars droids.

V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B.! Very cool. I've got a V.I.N.CENT I won off eBay some time back that I keep wanting to mold and cast to repurpose as a background Star Wars droid. That movie wasn't the best, but I've always liked V.I.N.CENT and his words of wisdom.

Reaction score
Here's a pic of all (to my knowledge) the Tomy R/C astros, plus a Hasbro R2 for comparison.

Reaction score
E_CHU_TA said:

I like that Dalek in the last picture. What line is that from that it's in scale with those figures? I thought the current lines that were out had the Dalek at 5". Is that the one in the case or is there a line with a smaller figure?

E...

Reaction score
Darth_Bugga said:
Here's a pic of all (to my knowledge) the Tomy R/C astros, plus a Hasbro R2 for comparison.

Thanks a lot man, thats ALLLLL I needed to see!
They are all so NICE!

Reaction score
here is a pic of my droid collection. its a bit out dated. i currently have all the tomy line and pretty much completed the all build a droids. i am working on r4-d6's right leg. i am pretty much an astromech lover, but i am trying to work on the other droids...

DSCN1193.jpg

Reaction score
Furedorikku said:
Edit: While I purchase all types of droids, the only ones I'm worried about being up to date on are astromechs.

This is the most recent picture of my astromechs. I've added R4-J1 since then, but I'm still missing one because I refuse to purchase Yarna.

V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B.! Very cool. I've got a V.I.N.CENT I won off eBay some time back that I keep wanting to mold and cast to repurpose as a background Star Wars droid. That movie wasn't the best, but I've always liked V.I.N.CENT and his words of wisdom.

Furedorikku, i love the black hole bots though the film is a bit boring. though i would love to have a vintage old bob those 2 in my pic are the kubrick versions. there actually really cool, very close to scale and more detailed.
you dont want yarna huh, i understand but her and cz were my 2 most wanted figures of all time.thats what is sad about the BAD, you have to get figures you wouldnt want.ive probably only wanted 1 figure from each wave.

efranks said:
E_CHU_TA said:

I like that Dalek in the last picture. What line is that from that it's in scale with those figures? I thought the current lines that were out had the Dalek at 5". Is that the one in the case or is there a line with a smaller figure?

E...

hey efranks, thats from the 80s 3 3/4 dr who line by the company dapol. dont think they were ever released here in the u.s. but they are pretty easy to find on the bay. they made alot of different colr combos of those daleks too.

Reaction score
I LOVE Droids.. and I bow down to you guys.. I have my fair share of droids but WOW

Reaction score
I forgot to answer what R2 I display, though my picture kind of answers it. I don't consider it the best version in any way, but I still display the old PotF2 R2-D2 With New Features. I tend to think astromechs are best with deployable gadgets.

E_CHU_TA said:
Furedorikku, i love the black hole bots though the film is a bit boring. though i would love to have a vintage old bob those 2 in my pic are the kubrick versions. there actually really cool, very close to scale and more detailed.

I looked into getting the Kubrick versions, because that was what I was most interested in, and I don't remember why I thought it was more feasible to get a vintage version as a fixer-upper. I don't have B.O.B., but I did also get a Maximillian.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
you dont want yarna huh, i understand but her and cz were my 2 most wanted figures of all time.thats what is sad about the BAD, you have to get figures you wouldnt want.ive probably only wanted 1 figure from each wave.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we really have to take the bad with the BAD (cue rimshot). I've been a Marvel Legends collector for a couple of years, and until a recent set, I've never had a problem collecting figures I don't want to build BAFs that I want. Oddly, the BADs bother me a bit. Yarna is the only one I'm putting my foot down on. I just got too sick of hearing how she was the most important character in all six movies and that I was supposed to somehow be offended because she wasn't being made into a figure.