Dr. Sleep

Reaction score
The original The Shining is one of my all-time favorite horror films. It's just a masterpiece. It's one of the few exceptions where I actually prefer the film to the book. I love the nuance to the film, where for the vast majority you don't really know if Jack is going insane or there really ARE ghosts. Turns out, it's a bit of both! It's fairly ambiguous, whereas the novel is much more overt. The atmosphere established is so ominous and disturbing...it's just brilliant in every way.

So needless to say, I was very dubious about a sequel. But I saw Dr. Sleep last night and was pleasantly surprised. I have some issues, but I think I went thinking properly. I wasn't expecting The Shining...and it's totally not. It is its own thing and perhaps that's actually for the better. It def. has its call back moments to the original, particular the end, and it's a long build up sort of movie where you're waiting for a lot of plot threads to finally come together...but they do in the end. I also must say, Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat was a total stand-out performance. She has a scene that is truly, deeply disturbing that it actually gave me nightmares last night.

I really was shocked by HOW much I enjoyed it. While sure, it's not as good as the Kubrick masterpiece, it's extremely well-done IMO.

Has anyone else seen the film and if so, thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed on all accounts. Also, Rebecca Ferguson is a total smokeshow. Loved every second she was on-screen.

Reaction score
Agreed on all accounts. Also, Rebecca Ferguson is a total smokeshow. Loved every second she was on-screen.
Oh my GOD, RIGHT? The entire time I'm watching her I'm like :love:! What Harley Quinn is to comics, she now is to horror. Hah!

But we've got to talk about THE scene with her. You've gotta know WHICH one I'm talking about. My GOD how disturbing was that?

Reaction score
I'm not easily disturbed by much, but yeah. Hardcore yeah. Plus it just kept GOING.
Right!? It KEPT going. My God l felt so bad and then BOOM! REDRUM EXPLODES! I legit jumped. I am not even joking, l had nightmares. I mean l'm a dude that often watches The Thing. Doesn't phase me. I am very hard to freak out. That did it. Any time you throw a kid in, it bothers me. I once read that Kings biggest fear was something happening to his children. This makes the Georgie scene in the newest It look tame. It's a brilliant scene, but at the same time...once it ends you sit there and think "I cannot believe they went there!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may not care for it then. I have not read Dr. Sleep, but have read The Shining. But I've heard it has a number of major differences. I do know this much, in many ways the film is sort of an amalgam of both the novel The Shining, the Dr. Sleep novel, AND the Kubrick film.

Reaction score
I need to go see this. Read the book and liked it, so nice to it was enjoyable. I don't remember every aspect of the book so I doubt any changes will bother me.

Reaction score
I've heard by several people this was very good. But it seems not to have generated enough buzz. Also heard that many didn't know what the movie was about. I've only see the shining twice in my lifetime, and have never read a King book. But even I knew from the trailer it was connected. I wonder why it didn't do well?

Reaction score
I have no idea why it's not doing better. It really is a fantastic movie. I enjoyed it more than the book. The title, though...kinda bad. Maybe that has something to do with it?