Does Sideshow manipulate the market?

Rod

Reaction score
I had been wanting to see what you guys think about this for a while but had not found the time to write the long post this might turn out to be. In hopes of not loosing your attention I will try to keep it brief.

I read a post on YAKFACE today where they said:
(FYI I am not doubting this is what YAKFACE was told...jsut questioning how true the statement is)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Also, they have added the 18" Han Solo back to "second chance". I was told that a large retailer cancelled their order, so they have a few of these left.

[/QUOTE]

Does this sound to anybody like what SWShop pulls sometimes? Like when the Holographic Leia came out.....they said sold out....then a bit later, they ahd some more.....then sold out.....then a bit later some more.....

Did the same thing not happen with the C3 Vaders that were suposedly going to be C3 Exclusives?

This past summer I started paying attention at Sideshows after a dealer at a local shoe told me a bit about how they do business.

She stated that she had been buying products from Sideshow for years, way before they aquired the Star Wars license. She had noticed that when a "limited" item was put for sale on thier site they alwas sold out real quick. She didn't think much of it until she started noticing that a few months after Sideshow announced that an item was "completely sold out", they would always misteriously and miracously find some stock that they didn't know they had so consumers better hurry, cause they were going to go fast.

That sounds like a little manipulation to make the consumers think that an item is more sought after than it really is.

I think in the last few weeks I have seen several of the SW Sideshow pieces misteriously be back in stock....a big retailer canceling? they found some hidden stock they had missed? whatever the case.....

It makes me wonder if they do this on purpose. They make an item limited.......tell consumers that it is sold out.....wait a few months (still way in advance before the item is scheduled to ship) and make a story about how they got "a few more".

I know some of us sometimes desire certain collectibles because of the allure of them being limited....it's a lot neater to have a Vader statue that has a limited run than one that is not limited. So by saying an item is sold out, they make all those fans that miss it start wishing they had gotten it. So people will be more likely to jump on it once some more "misteriously appear".

Reaction score
I guess there might be some truth to this, but then again there are quite a few exclusives on SS's website right now that are still not sold out. SS, like a lot of companies I think, is finally approaching the limit of just how much the majority of collectors will spend. That combined with high edition sizes for some exclusives (like 650 for the fiberoptic version of the X-Men vs. Sentinel diorama) is contributing to the glut, I think....

I would probably say that the stuff that "mysteriously" reappears on their website is due more to declined credit cards and fickle collectors, as well as people who buy this stuff with the sole intent of reselling it on eBay, rather than any sort of manipulation on SS's part. Once "investment collectors" figure out that an item isn't quite as hot as they thought it would be, they cancel their preorders and bam, SS has new stock.

Btw, "investment collector" is really just a fancy word for scalper.

Reaction score
Forhekset said:
I guess there might be some truth to this, but then again there are quite a few exclusives on SS's website right now that are still not sold out. SS, like a lot of companies I think, is finally approaching the limit of just how much the majority of collectors will spend. That combined with high edition sizes for some exclusives (like 650 for the fiberoptic version of the X-Men vs. Sentinel diorama) is contributing to the glut, I think....

I would probably say that the stuff that "mysteriously" reappears on their website is due more to declined credit cards and fickle collectors, as well as people who buy this stuff with the sole intent of reselling it on eBay, rather than any sort of manipulation on SS's part. Once "investment collectors" figure out that an item isn't quite as hot as they thought it would be, they cancel their preorders and bam, SS has new stock.

Btw, "investment collector" is really just a fancy word for scalper.
While I think anything's possible, realistically, I'm going to have to agree with Forhekset's analysis. Judging by the sheer interest generated by the member of Rebelscum and the other major SW boards, I can safely assume that upon intial offering, Sideshow has no problems pre-selling the 1,000 - 2,000 units of any given statue.

Take me for example: I've been "caught in the hype" on several occasions and ordered an item with the idea that I have it reserved, but if my interest or money situation changes, I can simply cancel the order. (which has happened on one Sideshow product)

I guess I would consider myself an "Investment Broke(r).

Reaction score
I agree. Cancelled or declined ordered will bump your inventory. Plus, misplaced items in storage room, or incomplete or delayed delivery from factories, may also change you inventory volume.

Reaction score
As another "investment broke(r)"... too funny... I preordered the Luke from SS then cancelled it when SWS.com offered it at a discount (to hyperspace members I believe). Too bad they didn't do that for the Han statue.

Does anyone know exactly when this is supposed to be shipped? SWS.com has pulled its usual hopscotch with the release date.

Reaction score
I guess you can count me as another investment broker, though fortunately I'm not broke TOO often
...I often preorder stuff to make sure I don't miss out on an item, then cancel it later on when I decide I don't want it, my financial situation changes, or I find it cheaper elsewhere. I've cancelled several preorders with SS.

Reaction score
This happens quite a bit in the qworld of SW collecting.

I use my best jugement when it comes to items. Always buy what you like, but there are certain items you just KNOW are going to sell out immediately, and certain items you know are going to sit forever. I look at 3 factors the item itself, edition size, and price. Let's take CIII for example:

There are items that are produced in low numbes that sell for only a few $ like:
* Code 3 Vader mini poster $20 only 1980 made and
* Hard Rock SW pin $12 VERY few made
(Ebay-both go for $90-$100ish now)

vs.

$30 for the stupid foam topper sets that they had tens of thousands made just like the $20 Vader CIII figure which you had to stand in line for 4 hours to buy. (both can be found for less than $30 on ebay now)

You still have to sit back and take a look at the item at hand, no matter how many exclamation points they put after:
"Limited Edition!"
or "Exclusive to ___!"
"Only one chance to grab this item!"
"Will sell out immediately!"
"Any not sold will be destroyed!"

Heck, the PA, DC, and Ohio groups went in on a 3 piece LFL copyrighted patch that goes for $40-$140 on eaby and it was FREE with NO advertising whatsoever for cryin out loud.

When it comes to collecting SW...

"Limited edition", "exclusive","one time only", "once it's gone it's gone".....they are pretty much just words without meaning anymore.

Reaction score
You also need to remember that companies like SWS and Sideshow hold back a bit of the stock to allow for defective/broken items delivered to customers and returned. These companies also hold back because they want to take in to account how many items will be broken or damaged before they even make it to the warehouse. Just because there are 5000 made doesn´t mean all 5000 will ever make it into the hands of a collector.