does rehashing kill interest for certain characters?

Reaction score
2 examples i have that were nearly ruined by rehashing.
i was really interested in corran horn when he was first introduced.
he was a cool pilot with a droid sidekick then he discovered the force and ...crap rerun.
i hated how they turned him into a poormans luke and just retold nearly the same story.
i still like corran but i feel like that was pointless to do.
which brings me to kyle katarn.
i never played the 2nd game but i thought kyle was interesting in dark forces just as a han solo type no need to become a jedi.
but he did.

Reaction score
I don't think Corran Horn is like Luke. I don't know if I consider rehashing much of a thing in Star Wars. Maybe reusing a character in the background in a cartoon could seem a bit lame just for a visual call back. But Corran had his own unique development. First with Corsec, then Rogue Squadron. The Force to him seemed to be good hunches that he always had. By having him grow his Force abilities you took a character that might have been stalled as one of a handful of fighter pilots and gave him new life. As it is, you have Wedge, Hobbie, Janson, and Tycho as the standard top four. Luke moved along, and there were many others who died or moved along, but with a wingman concept, four is an even number but five is one short or too many. With Corran comes Mirax and Booster and a whole 'nother world there. If he just had good hunches or luck, well that might be Han or Lando's thing repeated. So having them be manifestations of the Force gives a direction for him to grow. He's also an early new Jedi with a family, Luke's way rather than Yoda's, so he's something of a front runner example of the new path being developed.

If anything I guess I might think Wedge becoming a General during those few years felt like a repurposing. Han gets involved with the Maw and Daala and Kyp Durron and we have Wedge commanding a task force as opposed to being a flyer. Actually going back to the Dark Empire series where he's to reclaim Coruscant is where Wedge really feels repurposed. But in his overall growth it helped lead him to be in positions to further stories and help him find a future path, rather than just being the best pilot after Luke.

Sometimes after a character is created, you have to use him somewhere you might not normally, because if you don't, people will wonder where so and so is, or what he's doing during an event. This comes from people inventing stories rather than them flowing naturally. There were no X-Wing stories being told during bigger battles and confrontations, yet people might wonder where Wedge would be. So he has to be a General to get into planning and commanding to be a part of these other tales. Otherwise you have to create a new character, and then you are faced with that person disappearing forever after that tale is told. I know one of the things I hate the most in novels/comics is when creatures or concepts are mentioned once and never appear again, because they stand out to me as merely existing to advance a particular plot point, or the author's attempt to create something unique. "I haven't seen a swarm like this since the buzboggers of Wazoo that one time." I hate little one offs like that, and one off characters can sometimes be annoying as well, so you have to accept some degree of growth or repurposing at times I would say.

Kyle Katarn is a character that is barely on my radar based on the source material. He barely has a presence in the novels and Dark Horse comics. Video games themselves bother me when thought of as canon (in the old EU) because clearly a game has to have a purpose to play, so it isn't just a story. And it you never solve it, can you truly say a story took place and can therefore be canon? And they need to keep creating new games to play, yet need to follow similar concepts of fun, so it's easy to create lookalikes or copies of character types because you need a Jedi or a Sith, or a pilot or smuggler, so it isn't exactly the arena to create completely new story content.

I guess it depends on how deep you are experienced in the EU as to whether it occurs a lot or not. I think the more you read, the less it may stand out. But if you only follow certain characters, someone you are following might appear to rehash and thus it can appear to be a regular occurrence.

Reaction score
thats all true enough.
really what im trying to say is why does everybody have to be a jedi? to me corran could have been a wedge or han type character and id have been happy.
though now days id compare him to poe dameron unless poe gets the force too.
and while im not a big kyle katarn fan either id say he had the same potential ruined by going down the same path yet again.
although i hear that game is really good(the one where he is a jedi)

Reaction score
Well certainly everyone is entitled to their tastes and 'druthers. But Wedge is a Wedge type and Han is a Han type already. Dash Rendar was a Han type who didn't go Jedi. He didn't get extensive development, and I remember some buzz about people NOT liking a Han type when we already have Han. Tycho is a Wedge type who was developed in a number of ways to also not be Wedge, and I can't think of anyone talking about disliking Tycho. So maybe we get sort of the archetype of a character type, Luke moral Jedi, Han smuggler rogue, Wedge straight up starfighter, and they are so popular that you want more like that, but at the same not someone so similar that it feels like a blatant copy.

What I'm getting at with my replies is that perhaps there is a need for similar but different, and while Corran may feel similar to Luke, he's also different. If a character is similar without much development they can feel like a rehash, but given enough development they can also be different.

So there was a similar Han and similar Wedge, and you say Corran is a similar Luke. Well, yes, he's a human with Father issues while young (Luke wishing to know his Father who's 'dead', Corran looking up to his Father who gets killed). He has a strong moral fiber and becomes a pilot in Rogue Squadron. Then he develops Force usage and becomes a Jedi Knight. In a simple review such as that he seems very similar. But we have stories of Corran with Corsec that are different from Luke's stories at a similar age. How Corran gets involved and his time with Rogue Squadron has him heavily involved with Ysanne Isard and the Lusankya and the search for the prisoners, as well as the world of Mirax and Booster. There's just so much development for his world that is quite a lot of activity different from Luke's experiences. He arrives at the Jedi Academy because of his desire to find Mirax, which takes him deep into Jedi commitment, but then he leaves that aspect to pursue his Corsec roots ultimately to find a balance between both aspects of his nature.

You may think he's just another Luke, and wish he were just another Wedge or Han type. But I think that he isn't just another Luke, he's similar true but also quite different, because he developed way beyond being another anybody else. He has his own character identified that if anything, there's a chance that somebody new could have been created to be another Corran type.

I happen to hold the whole X-Wing Rogue Squadron run of comics and novels, and all the one off novels or comics that tie in with the plots and characters in this subworld of Star Wars, to perhaps be the greatest subset within Star Wars after the original Anakin Luke Vader story line.

Whenever anyone would ask 'what to read' in the EU, one of the things I'd bring up was that there's this whole non big three subsection that is greatly developed with characters and locations and plots, and is a great example of how much can be created in the Star Wars universe without being retreads over the main themes.

So I guess what I'm talking about is that ole' 'certain point of view' perspective. Maybe trying to notice the areas where Corran isn't Luke can help you find a bit of a balance where it doesn't bug you as much. You may have forgotten things or never gotten to them to see the differences.

As for your Poe comment, I can't comment there because I do not follow Disney owned Star Wars content. No TV shows, no movies, no comics/novels. When the EU was halted and then erased or wiped out or however someone wants to argue what it should be called, the world of Star Wars stories became finite to me. I have been re-reading the EU in chronological order from the start since the sale and the story line decision, and been loving every minute of it. I want more of my 'Legends' story lines, and not one thing that I've read in discussions about the new movies and comics/novels has sounded the least bit interesting to me. Certainly not better than anything written in the EU that it is replacing. I am a huge SW fan who has not seen the movies even though people may not believe me, and I don't plan to in the foreseeable future.

Atari, NES, and a few games on Sega Genesis were my heyday for playing video games. So I have no SW video game knowledge and that's another area that I can't comment on, which is why I said above Kyle Katarn barely registers with me.

Reaction score
i have all the main x wing novels i skipped over the wraith squadron because it had little to nothing to do with the previous characters.
i have isards revenge because it was a return to the good stuff. i actually did the same i have been rereading since 2008 starting with bakura and am currently on the third vong book though on hiatus to read game of thrones.
ill watch the movies but im not going to go out and get more books unless its the older "canon stuff" ( ha take that disney).
the other day i played empire on nes but the game messed up right before vader. the only newer games truly worth playing are the battle front games on ps2 the rogue squadron games on gamecube and force unleashed. i loved the end of rebbelstrike because it uses movie clips and it was the original uncrappified jedi ending with yubnub :D the original song

Reaction score
Wraith Squadron does have Wedge and Janson and Hobbie, but yes it develops new characters that are also interesting. New fighting techniques and concepts come into play, and there are some funny jokes as well. But these books fit into the entire after RotJ run through when Leia takes over as head of state. All the squadron novels and comics, Dark Empire, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and certainly other items help paint a picture of the post RotJ galaxy. The Hapes Consortium and Dathomir, Leia coming to terms with Vader (Anakin) as her father. The devolving of the Empire into Warlords brings about several interesting characters. In this time frame we see how the Empire advances from the Emperor through several other potential leaders until it stabilizes to a degree.
We see Mara finding her way post service to the Empire, Corran develops and finds himself, Luke finds himself through the Academy creation, Wedge finds himself, it's really a period of flux with a lot of writing from several sources that settles the galaxy and stabilizes quite a few characters and sets up their future growth together. This era transitions from movie characters and concepts into newly created characters and concepts that the remaining movie characters will face. It's a daring period of world building.

Reading them in chronological order GREATLY enhances things. When published out of order, little facts and callbacks may be missed. But in order, when names or ideas return in other works, you feel a unifying effect and the works become stronger. It's the way this period developed, with the long standing X-Wing and Wraith Squadron run perhaps as the backbone, that helped allow the future of trilogies and longer running story lines to become the norm. It's a period of tremendous growth and creation in characters, concepts and settings.

If the EU is what's real to you too, well no more is coming, so I would suggest going and filling out this area. Sometimes you may get into just a particular story, other times you may get into how longer plot lines are developing. I just went through Darksaber, and while the Darksaber itself may not have been much of a great idea or result, the rest of the story itself was entertaining and felt like it was helping solidify other existing characters and plot lines, setting them up for some grander story lines that are coming. I'm just finishing Starfighters of Adumar. I may not find all the challenges and attire that interesting a story, but there is a good amount of personal development among characters that will continue forward.

You may have skipped Wraith Squadron because it had little or nothing to do with the previous characters, but you might find this world building allows for growth of characters and feels natural, as opposed to perhaps just having impressions and maybe leaning towards some characters or ideas being rehashings. The Darksaber may seem like a Death Star rehash, but the item itself almost comes off as secondary to the goings on in the galaxy and the character interactions during the story.

A lot of things that could seem like rehashing may just have to exist to gradually move a character to a place where they need to be to have a role in a much more significant plot line coming down the road. If they don't get tweaked along the way, it may seem like too dramatic a jump to have them somewhere from where they last were, and that may very well come off as a rehashing.

I believe the only two SW video games I ever played were the arcade game where you were trying to blow up the Death Star, and ESB on Atari where if you flew for like 2 minutes safely the Force would come over you and you could not be hurt while shooting AT-ATs.

Reaction score
ill have to check the timeline bit im pretty sure i have all the new republic era stuff aside from wraith squadron. i have been buying the books since heir to the empire came out when i was 11. yes darksaber was kind of stupid (i mean for the love of god kevin "d.s." anderson i know you love the deathstar and rehashing the ot but good god the hutts with a deathstar? as if making ig88 a living deathstar wasnt stupid enough he gives us that but the hutt story is better. the one thing i remember darksaber for was killing madine. i was shocked but i rationalized it saying well he was a minor character. NOBODY used in the books aside from a brief cameo in bakura. little did i know this is pretty much foreshadow for chewie (as far as lucasfilm went any way) im well aware the evil mouse empire wont be giving us anymore real eu but im ok with it. theres so many books it will probably be the rest of my life finishing the vong story then the legacy and fate series before looping back around to the clone wars books. i do wih that kevin anderson would get therapy and quit obessing over the death star it wqsnt until iwas rereading them all (i did go in order i forgot if i mentioned) that i realized jut how much he repeats himself. i forget if its darksaber or not (i think it is) but that one book were luke and calista go on a road trip through the ot was pretty obvious too,. anderson writes good stories he just needs to dial back on the death star stuff i love the atat but if ievery story i wrote involved them theyd get old fast.

Reaction score
also i like corran his story and how everything went i just remember wanting to read about a regular pilot instead of yet another jedi.
you see this is wh ti expected rogue squadron to be the star wars battle front of the novels. average joes vs the empire. it all turned out well and good im just saying what my initial thoughts were.

Reaction score
As I said, the Darksaber itself feels secondary to me to the galaxy goings on. You seem to mainly remember the killing of Madine (and yes it does include Callista and Luke visiting Hoth and Dagobah). But having recently arrived to it in chronological order, I hold it in high regard at the moment as a vital culmination in the structure of the Empire.

Daala wipes out the Warlords, then fails for the last time to where she turns things over to Pellaeon, who has risen to the top. This brings about a culmination of everything that the Empire did post RotJ, and we know that Pellaeon learned well beside Thrawn, so someone is now in the driver's seat that can make the Empire into something other than a shambles. The way the OT ends, people mainly feel like the Empire ended when the Emperor and Vader died. But it would take quite some time for all troops and equipment to be captured and turned over if it was real.

I think the Warlord here and there, the council in a comic series, Isard, Daala, and Thrawn grew about organically in that no one really had a solid idea for immediately post RotJ, because Lucas' story ended there. They even went the route of bringing back the Emperor as clones. So they made things up as they went along, and there is a lot of world building, and the fans bought into the stories, and they were able to steer things towards now having a more planned out direction for future stories. And I feel like Darksaber is where the Empire takes what came before and sets itself to now have a more stable foundation going forward. And that right there is incredibly much more important than the Hutts trying to build a Death Star laser.

In fact, look at how things are portrayed. Lemelisk is a goofy professor, and those creatures who actually build it make mistakes. Especially look at the way it's described when it is finally used. "Sulamar heard only a loud pffffftt! A fizzle of sparks splattered out the front end of the Darksaber, but nothing more." Then, "The two broken planetoids smashed together with the Hutt superweapon between them. The Darksaber was crushed in an instant, becoming yet another hunk of space debris that would float forever in the Hoth Asteroid Field."

To me, it is almost like Anderson is making fun of the attempt at another Death Star. Durga is blustery and pompous, he even has that Imperial who thinks he's a big deal (that Madine says was a laughing stock). The way it flops shows how truly far from actually being a real threat the thing was. It reveals that Durga may have thought he was a real threat to the galaxy, but that was all in his own head. Kind of like in a boxing or MMA match you might have one competitor talk all kinds of trash about how good he is and he's gonna wipe the floor with the other guy, but then he gets his rear end handed to him and everybody says he wasn't anything in the first place but a big bag of wind.

And the way the two planetoids came together to smash it reminded me of the two big logs smashing the AT-ST cockpit in RotJ, that the Ewoks of all things managed to pull off. So I feel like that underscores that Anderson didn't take this latest Death Star attempt seriously in universe. He wasn't trying to get us to buy into another one that whew the good guys managed to defeat yet again (yawn). No, I think he was making fun of the Hutts THINKING they were gonna try that route.

As far as IG88 a living Death Star, I think that those collections were some of the first stories to be written in the EU. And at that time, anything to the fans would seem like hurray! more Star Wars stories! Giving background stories and intrigue to all the existing characters in those 'Tales of' books were feeling out the interest levels of the fans. Now after reading so many plot lines and evolved stories, they seem too contrived and silly. But they had to find out what the public might respond to. So yeah there are a number of stories that seem wacky or weak, but I think they often come about during the early growing pains of the establishment of the EU. I always say that once it got going things began to fit together quite tightly, and it isn't the convoluted mess the haters paint it out to be.

Reaction score
those books were fine i love the collections tales of the cantina and jabbas palace are among my favorite books. im just saying the idea of ig88 possessing the deathstar was weird.
and as you say i agree on the hutt thing it was pretty funny even if it was anticlimactic it was also sort of fitting. i remember the whole thing with daala and pellaon i just forgot what book that was in its been a while.
the one armed wampa coming back was weird too. but i liked the whole hoth story because i like hoth. something else i like i think it was in heir to the empire or maybe dark force rising
was when luke went back to dagobah and explored yodas ruined home looking for scrolls.

Reaction score
Another thing I meant to say that I liked in Darksaber was Dorsk 81's role. He had been a skittish Jedi, trying to separate from his world of repetition. His friendship with Kyp grows as Kyp becomes something of a role model of courage and strength for him. We see him 'graduate' as a Knight, then have to face his world that expects/assumes he will rejoin them in their world's ways. He resists, and in fighting off Pellaeon's 17 Star Destroyers from the Yavin 4 moon, he finds his true calling and expels the attack, giving his life in the process. He wanted to be but feared he may not be a Jedi, wondered what his purpose was, then found and executed it. Some people never do anything great, some always do good things. I liked seeing a one and done Jedi. It was like that moment was the sole reason for his existence, and he found it and executed it perfectly. Then he was no longer needed. That moment was both immense and simplistic at the same, depending on what scale you try to measure it with. Once again, it left a much greater impact on me than the Darksaber plot line itself, and for this and the Empire consolidation, I think well of the book currently. Even the little trips through the OT were small enough that it was easy to read the book in spurts, picking it up and putting it down after completing many smaller sections. Sometimes I have a hard time trying to find a clean break in the plot, of when to stop reading.

Reaction score
i was never a big fan of dorsk 81 but i liked his death scene it was very well done. omg is this the one where daala and calista fight on the knight hammer? i loved that.
to clarify darksaber is one of my favorite books like you the darksaber itself wasnt great but i do remember loving the rest of it. i have been rereading them all in order since 2008.
i had to move in the midst of it and i recall i ended champions of the force i nthat house and began i jedi after i was done moving.
since darksaber is a couple or so books after that its been about 6 or so years since i read it.
now i love the eu but one book i feel is utterly worthless is onslaught.nothing meaningful happens hn ws still moping over chewie anakin and mara just hang out on dathomir doing nothing
jacen keeps becoming more of pr*ck i dont even remember what jaina did aside from the pointless tacked on battle at the end that was like "ooh look vong! be scared!" it probably would have held more weight had i read them new and not picked up years later after i knew how the story played out. but onslaught is like a filler episode from bleach or dragon ball z

Reaction score
while i was never a dork 81 fan i grew to like him right as they killed him off.
dorsk 82 was worse. it was like they literally thought they could just replace him because his species is made of clones.

Reaction score
Yeah Dorsk81 was plain and neutral to me in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. It's in Darksaber where his story takes front seat and peaks and I like how it all happened. Yes Callista and Daala meet on the Super Star Destroyer.

I didn't think much of the Leviathan comic with Dorsk82. I really hate big multi-toothed, multi-eyed beasts. Every time they come up in Star Wars I feel it's recycled to make some money, so I guess yeah that is definitely one rehashing I hate. The Leviathan reminded me of the Rakh-ghouls during that Dark Horse arc that went through four different time periods.

I read everything since the Thrawn Trilogy in published order, with some re-reading of favorites along the way. But like I said I restarted at the EU killing, and estimated that I had 8 years worth of reading at the pace I normally read. I've had some slowdowns in the last year but I'm probably 75% through the Dark Horse comics, and 60% through the novels, at about 5 years worth read so far. I was giving occasional updates in the 'What are you reading now?' thread http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1061998 and if you want to see my limelight it is in here http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1028237&page=3&p=19385954&viewfull=1#post19385954.

I'm currently in the mid to late 90's published material so this is some of the stuff that I read the longest time ago and a lot feels new. By the time I get back to the Vong it will have been a long time since I read that, and currently I don't remember much detail from there. It is so rewarding reading in chronological order.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I get that you find it annoying that Horn or Katan (sic) went from average joes to superheroes. I liked Horn's story arc, although he was interesting without being a Jedi.
I didn't think he was another Luke, but Dash WAS another Han, and the Ryn character was there to replace Chewie.
I also enjoyed most of the "Tales from..." but found there, too many characters suddenly became important or powerful (and future stories ignored or undid those gains - Zukkus and 4LOM are good examples).

One thing I didn't like was that sometimes it felt like relationships ended because each author wanted to have their own creations be the love interest, or that because of the timeline, relationships had to end. I really felt that with Luke and Wedge.

I also didn't enjoy reusing the Deathstar and Emperor so much.
Anderson had some OK stories but I recall he misused other author's characters or events. I remember certain groups or ships winding up where they shouldn't have.

Reaction score
dash to me as interesting in the video game but not in the book. im not sure he was even a good subsistute han.
i felt like zuckuss and 4 lom had one of the crappier storys though its been a while since i read it.
i did like toryn farr though. she was interesting even though we never hear from her ever again to my knowledge.
though i still think ig88 had the worse story.
also some of the stuff from boba fetts story was confusing at the end.
well for the longest time lucas would butt in and say that luke wasnt to settle down or get married thats why (from what i hear) nothing ever worked
until he finally allowed luke to finally settle down with mara. thats why we had to suffer through calista and all that.
speaking of misusing i recall most people couldnt (at least for me) write mara jade properly some people did, some couldnt.
someone (i think it was anderson but im not sure) even kept describing her with brown hair i was like "ITS RED GODD****IT"!
but i didnt like so many deathstar rehashes either. i also didnt like the dark empire comics.
the all one color panels wernt interesting and hard to figure out and the story about the emperor being alive never set well with me.
to me that undid vaders sacrifice to have palpatine just show up again.

Utinniii

Reaction score
The tales of... books were great fan service but not great literature.
The Zuckuss/4Lom might have been bad. I really don't remember it, mostly that the next story had them act completely different.
Tale of IG88 is possibly the worst story in the series. The most boring and pointless story arc was when Lando and Lobot explored the exhaust system of a spaceship.
There were times when certain character were written badly. I'm not sure if that was because they were early books in the series and they hadn't got things sorted yet.

I liked the Vong series since it was new and there was a real learning curve for attacking the Vong. I liked young Ani. The final books were good although the enemy was unsatisfying (blob creature, not lost tribe of the Sith.)

Reaction score
when i blow up the death star (in games or watch movies) i dont think of it as being ig88.
to me ig88 died in sote the game when he fought dash thats a better end for the character much like with shaak ti in tfu.
all i remember about the 4lom story was that toryn farr's transport was damaged near hoth the bounty hunters found them and went through a "terminator discovers the meaning of life" arc
with zuckuss joining the rebellion while 4lom seemed less keen and more undecided on the idea.

Reaction score
The tales of... books were great fan service but not great literature.
The Zuckuss/4Lom might have been bad. I really don't remember it, mostly that the next story had them act completely different.
Tale of IG88 is possibly the worst story in the series. The most boring and pointless story arc was when Lando and Lobot explored the exhaust system of a spaceship.
There were times when certain character were written badly. I'm not sure if that was because they were early books in the series and they hadn't got things sorted yet.

I liked the Vong series since it was new and there was a real learning curve for attacking the Vong. I liked young Ani. The final books were good although the enemy was unsatisfying (blob creature, not lost tribe of the Sith.)
i dont recall lando being involved in that story though i remember that bizzare ev9d9 story i think he was involved in. that one wasnt bad it was just really..really REALLY weird.
i remember the lak sivrak story was really weird but was one that grew on me until i liked it.
also the maps pf peace was good too.
where a moisture farmer tries to make peace with the sand people and nearly succeeds but the empire butts in.
i agree though ig88 had a super boring story. plus i was never an ig88 fan anyway.

Reaction score
i admit that one was weird but like i said in the right mood i can really get into it.
something that i have always found gripping is the idea of being stranded in the middle of no where in space.
i remember in heir to the empire how scary it was with luke's hyperdrive shot in the middle of nowhere with little to no chance of rescue before karrde found him.

Reaction score
i admit that one was weird but like i said in the right mood i can really get into it.
something that i have always found gripping is the idea of being stranded in the middle of no where in space.
i remember in heir to the empire how scary it was with luke's hyperdrive shot in the middle of nowhere with little to no chance of rescue before karrde found him.
Sometimes it's the littler, quieter moments that I appreciate more than the grander moments. That's a good example, Luke and R2 trying to work on an X-Wing while lost in space. I can try to imagine what that might feel like.
Although it went on for too long for my tastes, Luke in the Eye of Palpatine (Children of the Jedi) encountering the various aliens while trying to stop the ship was another area where I enjoyed the littler things. The Affytechans (flower race) who were having these great militaristic engagements whenever Luke bumped into them was something I really enjoyed.
That moment I mentioned earlier about Dorsk81 finding his purpose and executing it. That's another example of a short lived Jedi life that struck a meaningful chord with me.
Sometimes these things seem like they are just padding added to fatten up a story that was too short, but other times they really work well, and I guess that depends on the writer.

I think with the Jabba's Palace and Cantina and Bounty Hunters Tales, it's a neat little world almost like Marvel's old What If? series. I don't like reboots, relaunches, etc. But I did like What If? because I can get into an alternate take on a situation if it is finite. A single issue, or even the Dark Horse Infinities were OK. I can appreciate a diversion to wonder a bit, but I much prefer one continuous arc where everything matters and has impact.

The IG88 story I can enjoy as a What If? idea but I don't put much stock into it being what 'really' happened. Even the ground covering Dengar and Fett, what continued into the Bounty Hunter trilogy, I like some of the story line but for the most part tend to think of it as more of an alternate universe What If? story. I like the idea of the Bounty Hunters Guild and Cradossk, but the writing style describing Kudar Mubat was tedious to follow. Dengar trying to revive Fett, and then their partnership was fine, but the parts where Dengar has a girl are a bit of a stretch, and whether Fett was the best man at his wedding or not gets out there. Wherever it was, the story of how Dengar became a cyborg by the Empire, and has input jacks in his head, that takes him into an area that I don't particularly care for as a backstory. I didn't have an idea for who he was, but I don't like those details about him. I don't really mind him wanting to get out of the business and have a girl; I guess the wedding and Fett as the best man is just too much for me. Utinniii and I have talked before about Zuckuss and 4LOM stories maybe not meshing in depictions between comics and stories.

I really don't think at that time they thought how extensive they were going to be able to produce the time line of the galaxy. Hand in hand there are good concepts and bad ones in the same stories and sometimes I'll try to remember the general idea more so than the specifics. That's something I learned to do back when I was reading Spider-Man, the Punisher, and the X-Men. Whenever someone came in and wrote or drew them vastly different from previous versions, I would try to remember that what we are hearing are stories being told by people about OTHER people, and different people have different mannerisms, ways of speech, and have affinities towards different things. So the true story can be told in a number of different ways by different people. If a character has a different attitude, manner of speech, or is taller/shorter/leaner/bulkier, I try to remember that the person 'telling' this story about the character may be telling it in the ways they would think or describe someone, not necessarily exactly how it actually was.
I try to employ this over certain canon clashes in the EU.

Reaction score
"trying to revive Fett, and then their partnership was fine, but the parts where Dengar has a girl are a bit of a stretch, and whether Fett was the best man at his wedding or not gets out there."

hoo boy. i certainly never knew that. thats another one i skipped over.
i read the first book of the bounty hunter trilogy and couldnt get into it enough t read 2 more books. i gave it to my nephew but i bought the other 2 parts for him for christmas or something.
he liked the trilogy. i ended up liking the children of the jedi more than i remembered when i reread it a few years ago. iremeber really liking calista.
which is why i couldnt stand her in darksaber. as we mentioned before some writers dont know jack s**** about other peoples characters, and anderson made her into a whiny angsty irritating b**h.
barbara hambley had to come back with planet of twilght to try and undo the damage but she couldnt. also the whole thing about not having the force in another body is both plausible and unplausble at the same time

Utinniii

Reaction score
At one point I wanted to reread all the novels and comics. I don't think I will have time to do so any time soon though.

I have a crappy memory so I only remember bits and pieces. I liked the Affytechans the first time they were mentioned, but by the second time, the joke got old. I think it was the dialogue that turned me off.
I might be the only person that made a custom from the "Tripod" from that book.

Rather than books, I enjoyed certain characters. I remember liking Dorsk 81, but have now been reminded that he wasn't enjoyable in the beginning. Kyp was sometimes well written but other times not. Some of the characters in the Bounty Hunter Wars (Balance sheet, Big Gun head) were good, but I don't remember liking the story.

I enjoyed elements of the Young Jedi novels. Tenel Ka was one of my favorite characters.

Speaking of Dengar, I vaguely recall him getting killed off but I don't remember in what book. I don't think they specifically said his name but rather a "bounty hunter, wrapped in bandages".

Reaction score
if dengar was killed it might be a book i skipped i dont recall it. though there was a dengar mara jade killed in dark force rising (i think). he was just named dengar and not described as the same one. most people believe it was an imposter or someone just using the name

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
At one point I wanted to reread all the novels and comics. I don't think I will have time to do so any time soon though.

I have a crappy memory so I only remember bits and pieces. I liked the Affytechans the first time they were mentioned, but by the second time, the joke got old. I think it was the dialogue that turned me off.
I might be the only person that made a custom from the "Tripod" from that book.

Rather than books, I enjoyed certain characters. I remember liking Dorsk 81, but have now been reminded that he wasn't enjoyable in the beginning. Kyp was sometimes well written but other times not. Some of the characters in the Bounty Hunter Wars (Balance sheet, Big Gun head) were good, but I don't remember liking the story.

I enjoyed elements of the Young Jedi novels. Tenel Ka was one of my favorite characters.

Speaking of Dengar, I vaguely recall him getting killed off but I don't remember in what book. I don't think they specifically said his name but rather a "bounty hunter, wrapped in bandages".
It was in Dark Force Rising the 2nd book in the original Thrawn trilogy, killed by Mara Jade actually who kills the bounty hunter holding her up in an alley and pulls his ID card as Dengar Roth. But Zahn made it ambiguous that it may have been someone faking Dengar as the guy was drawn as a younger w/a slimmer build.

IIRC he gets married to Minaroo, a dancer from cloud city as he helps her flee away from it as the events of ESB happen there and the Empire take over. She usually stays behind on his missions as he teams up with Fett a bit during the early Dark Horse/Topps Magazine comic days.

Utinniii

Reaction score
It was in Dark Force Rising the 2nd book in the original Thrawn trilogy, killed by Mara Jade actually who kills the bounty hunter holding her up in an alley and pulls his ID card as Dengar Roth. But Zahn made it ambiguous that it may have been someone faking Dengar as the guy was drawn as a younger w/a slimmer build.

IIRC he gets married to Minaroo, a dancer from cloud city as he helps her flee away from it as the events of ESB happen there and the Empire take over. She usually stays behind on his missions as he teams up with Fett a bit during the early Dark Horse/Topps Magazine comic days.
THANK YOU! I knew it was somewhere.

I found it weird that anyone would trust BF or that he'd work with anyone. I remember the line when gun-head was dying and Fett said "Your fault for trusting me" and he replied, "no, it was my CHOICE."

This is a great discussion, and I'll be back after I watch TLJ. I'm going dark to avoid spoilers. Kriffin POSTAL STAMPS have spoilers!!!

Reaction score
like i was saying before it a left ambiguous even one of my source books said they thoguht it was just some schmuck posing a dengar.
i never got into the whole bounty hunter craze my self. boba fett looks cool but take away the eu, and he hasnt done didly d**k.
ig88 was ruined by deathstar andersons lame stories, and i never found dengar 4lom and zuckus interetsing either. strangely as i look at the vintage figures im almost likeing the name swap better with zuckuss as the robot instead of 4 lom

Reaction score
Rehashes can actually be a good thing. The problem is that Hasbro seems to think that so many new collectors join up each year and they need to re-release certain figure constantly insead of focusing on their loyal customers. I know there are some good reason for focusing on new customers, but when you keep giving the middle finger to your loyals, then at some poiunt, they won't be so loyal anymore.

Reaction score
agreed trooper. i feel like they want to make toys forever but they are running out of characters to make so its just endless rereleases of the same ones. and i keep repeating this and yes its no doubt tiring to hear but
whats with the whole klaatu nikto and barada getting new names now? i feel liek the yare just sort of army building by giving them new names and saying hey! look! these are new guys! go buy them..
even though its clearly the same guy.im trying to see it as the same species. example i bought skiff klaatu but i want to get woof so that i have both klaatus without having bought 2 klaatus.
i have that same mind set with stormtroopers. rather than buy 3 of the same one id buy a rogue one stormtrooper a commtech and a potf2.
in the end i have multiple troopers without having multiple troopers..if you get my meaning, anyway im just rambling now.