does anyone collect posters?

G

I am gradually getting into collecting posters. I've got several Star Wars ones including the old-school video poster (Darth Vader's face with the logo and a TIE fighter and x-wing near the bottom) the semi-girlie Amidala poster (cuz she's just so cute) a cardboard Episode 1 movie poster, a GIGANTIC Episode 1 store display with Anakin's face on it, and also a Darth Vader lifesize cutout that hangs on my wall. I've also got a few Beatles posters, a dragon/fantasy one, and the movie poster of Transformers The Movie. Anyone else into collecting postrs

G

I just got a lot of 8 posters that I bought from posterplanet on ebay. It had all three of the OT posters, Max Rebo Band poster, Cantina poster, Han Solo poster, a Rebel Assault poster, and one other. I also recently bought a video release poster and a 3 foot by 6 foot vynil banner. I didn't really collect them before, but I guess what I have now would be called a collection.

Reaction score
i have a original 1977 day bill star wars poster that i framed and mounted.

Reaction score
From the "SW Posters" thread:

I have a few Star Wars movie posters. One is an "authentic original" poster that I bought around 1995 for $75. I've never had that one authenticated.

I also bought the Hildebrant Bros. 20th(?) anniversary poster, signed and numbered, from QVC a few years ago.

When Episode I came out I bought copies of the teaser poster, the teaser banner, and the regular poster through the Fan Club. I was also fortunate enough to get a two-sided poster from a theater.

Finally, I have original theatrical "insert posters," which measure 14" x 36", for Star Wars, Empire and Jedi. They are framed and hanging above my sofa.

[Added today:] I also have some posters from when the Special Editions came out in 1997. I'm not sure if they're theater posters or video store posters. I think I have 4 of them.

Reaction score
I have a teaser poster for ANH framed. "Coming to a Galaxy near you from the director of 'American Graffiti'."

My mother gave it to me. Unfortunately, it's signed by Maria D'Aragon and Billy Dee Williams (???) which kills its value. Not that I'm thinking of selling it or anything.

G

Here's the ultimate poster that I got the other day. It's not officially Star Wars, but it's cool none the less....

Reaction score
I have a load of SW posters, but the one I cherish the most is a 60x40 inch "Return of the Jedi" poster. It's the one with the hands grasping the lightsaber design, made of a slightly thicker stock than regular posters, and was apparently the kind used in theater lobbies during the original release. I won it for $30 on Ebay last year, and it is in perfect condition. It takes up almost an entire wall.

Reaction score
Boy, have you hit a nerve.

So many posters, how can you choose?

I have collected a few over the years.

One of my favorites is the 10th Anniversary SW poster for its simplicity.

Another is the SW Hildebrant poster for its graphics and glimpse of the movie back then.

Recent favorite is the 1997 Special Ed. Ingot poster. I was able to get both versions.

Too many to choose. This does not even cover foreign versions.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a poster collector, but I definitely appreciate the different ones that are out there. My favorite by far would have to be the birthday poster. I was lucky enough to finally find one about a year ago, and consider it one of the centerpieces in my collection.

I also have the immunization poster which is cool just because of how goofy it is.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redleader79:
Here's the ultimate poster that I got the other day. It's not officially Star Wars, but it's cool none the less....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Love the poster, very cool indeed. I listen to all 3 of those bands too! That had to be a good show.

G

If you guys don't mind, how much did you pay for some of these posters ? I'd like to start collecting them (I had quite a few as a kid) but I want to know how much more I'm going to have to shell out besides the other parts of my collections...Thanks...

Reaction score
I've got about 350 Star Wars posters right now. Sadly, I don't currently have room to display more than a couple. We're completing a new house, though, and I hope to at least have places to display most of the theatrical posters.

Posters have as wide a range of values as carded action figures. That is, they range from virtually worthless to four digit figures.

The good news is that there are a lot of great values out there. One of my favorite buys is the set of "Read" posters from the American Library Association - five posters with Darth Vader, Yoda, C-3PO, R2 and 3PO, and Chewie, urging you to read books and stuff. Some of them are in stock at http://alastore.ala.org/ - they run about $10 each. Sometimes they have a set of five with some bookmarks at a pretty good discount - they don't seem to have that set in stock right now. While they're obviously not really rare, they aren't things most people have, they're quite good quality, and they're fun.

-Vic.

Reaction score
The only Star Wars poster I have is from one of the re-releases of A New Hope. Down in the lower corner it says, "Coming to theaters, Revenge of the Jedi". A friend of mine got it from a dealer but he got it from a theater already folded up. Not the best shape, but still cool none the less.

Reaction score
I'm also fond of the "tourism" set from Star Tours. They're styled like posters you might see in a travel agency in a galaxy far, far away; they urge you to consider Hoth and Tatooine as fabulous destinations for your next vacation. They're only sold in the Disney Theme Parks, as far as I know.

-Vic.

Reaction score
I got in and then got out of this area of collecting. Too much money for things that can't be displayed. My two favorites are Star Wars D 40x60 (swashbuckling style poster) and my Revenge poster (authenticated). I do have almost all of the vintage "anniversary" posters and all of the Special Edition posters (Ingot style, SW, ESB, ROTJ, and all the date variants). Most of my posters are now for sale if anyone is interested.

G

I have many different authentic movie posters but the problem is framing them cost a ton. I have the Revenge poster, the gone with the wind ESB, the original NH poster and the B poster, and also all the new posters from the SE and Episode 1. I love them but I only have 4 of them framed.

Reaction score
I have the Episode I theatrical poster framed and in my living room. I plan on getting all of the theatrical posters for the Prequels and I would also like to get my hands on the original theatrical posters...although that could run into some serious money.

I also have the photo-mosaics of Yoda and Darth Vader....and I have a print of the cover of the Heir to the Empire book framed and in my living room.

D. Martin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the fortune of acquiring the ESB SE poster from a theater in my old city and just recently I won the original '77 Chaykin poster (auction was poorly worded, so no one found it... I scored the poster for $10)