Do ALL Kenner MOSC figures have the wafer pattern?

Reaction score
I recently have in-hand a Kenner ESB Obi-wan that i reckoned was a reseal due to the fact that the part of the bubble that's sealed to the cardback not having the wafer pattern. It has instead just a plain glued-on finish. Furthermore the bubble seemed a bit misaligned.

However, when i talked to a fellow collector about the issue of authenticating with this wafer trait wasn't always full-proof.

Therefore i would like to re-pose this problem about the wafer pattern. Does ALL Kenner MOSC figure have the wafer pattern? And when i mean ALL, i mean all from original first 12 to the last 17.

Thanks in advance for all contributions!

Reaction score
I don't recall the thread it's discussed in, but I know it was brought up before, and the answer is that not all vintage cards have the waffle pattern behind the bubble.

Someone else will have to be more detailed with the answer, I just know the lack of the pattern doesn't necessarily mean a reseal.

Ian

Reaction score
Nope.
I only know about ROTJ cards...
I don't know if there are any on 48 backs but I know for a fact that few 65 backs do not have the waffle pattern.
I haven't ever come across any 77 or 79 backs without the waffle pattern.
The most common figures I have come across with clear seals are Ree Yees and Cloud Car Pilot.

Someone very recently suggested that some POTF cards have clear seals. I have NEVER seen a clear seal on a POTF card...

If anyone else has anything to note do chime in

Reaction score
A number of my ROTJ 48 bks (ones made in Macao sp ?) dont have the waffle pattern as well as my ESB 21 bk Stormtrooper and a few others (thats all i can remember at the moment). This isnt a concern when it comes to resealing problems. Reseals usually have paper rips and strange inconsistencies between the card and bubble edge. Misaligned bubbles also occur....some are off center a bit while others have the bubble bottoms extending off the card.

Reaction score
FWIW, I have quite a few ESB 41-backs that do not have the waffle pattern, including at least one that has been graded by AFA. I also have a 12 back without the waffle pattern that was graded by AFA. I know the fact that AFA has graded something isn't proof of anything, but I'm inclined to think they are all genuine.

Reaction score
I brought up a similar question a couple of weeks ago as all my cards that have 'made in mexico' on the back have a smooth finish to the bubble, this includes a potf paploo and lumat which look genuine to me.
if someone would kindly tell me how to post pics on the forum then i'll try and get some up asap. :)

Reaction score
I had a hoth trooper on an ESB card that i got in 96 that had no waffle pattern and was also unalligned and looked liked the bubble had moved as there was bubble markings around the bubble and at the time i never knew much about star wars but because it annoyed me as i am a spickler for perfection i sold it to my mate for a fraction of the price i paid but i doubt it to have been a reseal as i got it from jim stevenson at the westminster sci fi toy fair

since then i have had several trilogos which have the streched over bubble problems. the uk palitoy cards dont usually have the waffle pattern or tri logos

Reaction score
Hi.
I use Teflon Woven sheet on my Plastic welder, to stop the plastic sticking to each other. It can take very high Temperatures, and the Plastic doesn’t Stick to it at all. Even though it’s woven, it’s still smooth to the touch. But it does leave a slight Waffle pattern on the plastic.

Saying that, you can buy a Non-Woven Sheet, that is completely Smooth & has no pattern at all. But still does the same job. And obviously leave no Pattern on the Plastic at all.

I should imagine the bubble’s where put on in the same way, as this way allows the plastic to heat up to a slight tackiness. Almost to glue like state, that would weld onto pretty much anything. Including Card backs.

Regards. RickyUK

Reaction score
Re: Do ALL Kenner MOSC figures have the wafer patt

I have a 65-bk with no waffle pattern
I am pretty sure it is legit when compared to others

Reaction score
Re: Do ALL Kenner MOSC figures have the wafer patt

Thanks for the responses and contributions guys. Gathered quite a lot from all these. However, the problem is that i have another exact example of the ESB 41bk offerless ben kenobi with the waffle pattern on the bubble. That's what really stumbled me because from what i've read, there seems to be a pattern that only certain figures have non-waffled seals.