QUESTION Display in Detolfs

Reaction score
Hi all! My Minibust collection is growing alot and it seams that I will be quickly out of room. Unfortunately, I don't have space to add another Detolf cabinet, so I'm considering putting more busts on each shelf. I presently have 4 to 6 busts by shelf. I have seen pictures of people putting up to 8 busts by shelf. Can I put up to 9 MB by shelf without the glass breaking?

Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes, you can. Look at pictures of other people's displays below your post here, and you'll notice they have heavy statues on them, and plenty of mini busts weighing about the same as what you want to do. Some examples below:

1613925339427.png
1613925409728.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are correct. My bad and I'll delete those as they are not a good example. Here are a couple of shelves used by the same collector. I think he did not add a 9 bust on them because there was no room for it:

2020_02_StarWars_093.jpg
2020_02_StarWars_101.jpg
1613927279041.png
1613927571646.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
With all the respect due to the poster above, I feel there's always a percentage for everything in life. It's up to us to go a certain way: from driving an auto with the risk of getting into an accident, to ordering a coffee or tea and finding out they did not use enough sugar. I'm not saying the glass on these cabinets could not shatter, but it isn't a constant. Otherwise the Detolf wouldn't be one of their best selling pieces. Placed on the balance of probabilities, if built properly, chances of the display case remaining intact for years are greater than it shattering in my experience.

Reaction score
A local glass cutting may be able to replace those shelves fairly easily. Also give you color choices or thicker glass if that's what you are interested in. Ikea can be hit or miss.

Reaction score
I suspect collectors have single handedly kept the Detolf a consistent money maker for Ikea. I wonder how many are out in the world?

Reaction score
The photos Force Strong linked to are mine, and I have to admit it's started to make me nervous over the years, but like the other linked photos, lots of people put far more weight in them than I do.

Clearly you're one of those people, and that image is making me feel a little better about it. I'm still hoping that over the next couple of years I can come up with an entirely new shelving situation that will hold much more weight without me ever having to wonder.

Reaction score
I want to thank you all for contributing to this thread, I have my answer now! :)