Display Cabinets

Reaction score
Hi Guys not to thread Hijack but I'm looking to make a display cabinet to fit collector needs for various figures and have come up with a design some may be interested in?

The cabinets will be fairly modular with different options available but they will be on the high quality end of the spectrum. They can be flush wall hung and can even house LED lighting which could be concealed nicely inside.

Various colour options will also be available although there's nothing to stop you adding your own decals/stickers like i've shown with the Figure Display decal.
View media item 396320
View media item 396321
View media item 396322

I'm just trying to gauge an interest first before I start making any.

Glass size on this one I've made to suit the IKEA 56x16cm shelves so people can add more if desired. Shelves are fully adjustable inside the cabinet.

What do you think? Total size of this one is about 130cm x 80cm x 20cm

Again, i'm not selling anything as of yet just trying to gauge an interest at the moment, if there's enough interest other sizes and designs will also be possible.

Apologies if I've posted against any forum rules.

Reaction score
Awesome job! If I had the room for it, I would buy three for my imperials.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Obviously these are 3d renders I've done for now but I'll have a working prototype cabinet so I can photograph it very soon. It's currently being made at the moment.

The 3d is all to scale and what is being used to CAD the real thing. I've experience in cabinet making so don't envisage any issues. I've tried to make it in a way that if someone was interested in just the basic cabinet only that's fine if they want. Then they can customise it with perspex, decals or more shelves etc afterwards.

I'm doing it really for a personal hobby on the side and don't really expect to have to make many because I've gone for quality over anything else.

I'm just rendering another image I'll share shortly but will also put up more images when I get the real one made and rob my brothers figures to display in it for the pictures.

Matt

Thanks.

Reaction score
Also, got a design option now with a pivoting door too. I'll post some images of the real thing as soon as i get it in the next week or so although it should look very much the same as the 3d renders.

View media item 396333

Matt

Reaction score
I like the pivoting door design. Would the shelves be adjustable? Depending on price, I would be interested.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes shelves are adjustable.

I've just got to pick up the prototype cabinet as soon as I can hopefully that will be today.

As soon as I do I'll upload some real pictures and more info etc.

Keep an eye out for those.

Reaction score
Looks good so far.Have you seen figuredisplay.com? not sure how to post link? They have some cases similar to what you are trying to build! Might give you some design ideas! K

Reaction score
Hi,

Yep seen that site a while ago. To be honest I've been wanting to put together a cabinet like this for the last 3 years or so. That's when i first started planning it but never got around to it.

To be honest i think that these designs were kind of my inspiration and my logic was that they are nice looking cabinets and all but pretty pricey and to be honest probably very difficult to get hold of in UK with shipping / tax etc.

Not sure how they get the rights to be honest for using the official Star Wars logo in there unless they expect you to add them yourself after you have the base cabinet?

By comparison my design at the moment stands around :-

Internal cabinet dimensions =

Height = 47.25"
Width = 23.8"
Depth = 6.3"

Overall size (with fascia)

Height = 51.45"
Width = 31.5"
Depth = 8.26"

Not to sure of the construction methods they use but mine will be high quality and structurally very sound with quality components all round. If you're planning to display extra heavy things in it there's even an option to have 4 hanging wall brackets instead of the standard 2.

I've also tried to keep it very modular in design with and option to just purchase the base cabinet and fascias (which can be interchanged at a later stage if desired for other colours of finishes. Having it modular allows the end user to have various options for them to customise it to give it their own unique feel.

Also, by comparison mine will be a lot less in price than their offerings and have a lot of colour options available and also woodgrain finishes too.

It's very easy to add (and conceal) LED lights in it for example or even make a custom backer card. The shelves are also fully adjustable.

My cabinet is made now, i've just not had chance to pick it up yet as i've been a bit rough with a cold this week. I'm planning to collect it on Tuesday now and will be posting pictures as soon as I can of it. I've even been to Ikea today to pick up 5x besta 56x16cm shelves for it ready.

I'm quite excited to get some pictures of it and post them on here.

Also, I will probably be selling it too as I don't actually have a need for it as such and don't really want it sitting around afterwards going to waste.

Postage is the only killer really with this thing so far that i've noticed as it can cost about £10 for the box / packaging and then nearly another £20 for a courier.

However, if people are fairly close to the Midlands that may be interested I can do collection service or may even meet up 1/2 way.

Attachments

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a quick update to say I've picked up the cabinet today and whilst it looks great there were a few teething snags so I'll need to get another one made up again now. This prototype is functional but would need a couple of tweaks before it can be used.

The main annoyance is that ikea 56x16cm glass shelves are not that size at all and are closer to 16.5cm by 55.5cm!!! If a good mind to ask for a refund as they are clearly mis-described.

I've posted up a quick picture anyway for now showing it with no glass at the moment. Excuse the fact its balancing on a chair but I wasnt going to wall mount this one just yet.

As soon as I get the next one I'll post up some more info etc...

Attachments

Reaction score
Right, I've finally managed to put the cabinet up properly now, only thing is I've not been able to get round my bro's to borrow his star wars figures to put in it yet so I've just had to put a couple of other things in it for now but you get the idea.

Shelves could easily be added to as many as you need but 5 should be a good round fit for most needs.

Lights could also be added and concealed very easily around the inside of the frame too. LED strips would look great.

You could even mount lights at the top of the cabinet if needed too pointing downwards.

Lots of colour options are available for this but if anyone is interested let me know.

I'm probably another couple of weeks off if anyone is interested in terms of being able to offer one for sale but happy to discuss in advance etc.

Oh forgot to say obviously this one doesn't have a front but various options for frontage are also available like in the renders in the other images.

Matt

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks, only just noticed this.

Obviously this was a prototype cabinet that I've left open fronted rather than have any glass on the front.

I'm due to have another one made up once we're all out of lockdown I'll be able to offer any for sale if people are interested.

I've already made imagery with lots of different colour options.

Matt