Disowning the Prequels

Reaction score
Pulling a redo on the prequels is silly, but there certainly is a lot that could be improved. I saw the first post and wondered out loud "how could George not know the material... he WAS the material". Everything came from him, so regardless if we like it or not, the material is as the creator made it... including the special editions.

Now, that is not saying that there aren't clear differences in the material from one to the next, but that's as much a sign of the times and of how George loved to be on the cutting edge of film making. Look at all the advances that came from the original trilogy and then all the stuff that George pushed for the PT. Digital Cameras forced theatres to upgrade. Better sound, better effects... I mean what movie doesn't use something Lucas related when it comes to effects or sound these days?

If they are going to go back in time in the Star Wars universe, let's get outside of the Skywalkers altogether. It's time for a Knights of the Old Republic movie... just watch some of the Old Republic videos like "Deceived", "Hope" or "Return" cinematics and tell me that it wouldn't be awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
agreed, we were recently discussing that same idea in the Rebels thread. If anything it could blow up the awareness of those great scenarios, characters and tales, many may dismiss it as just games and not dig too deep, but it's insanely vast, and worthy. I enjoy the fiction more than the games, not to well versed playing it-but either way, epic stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They’ll get around to telling Knights of the Old Republic and pre-Prequel stories in time (with all-new designs hopefully...).

Now is the time to exploit that (insufferable) nostalgia and doing purgatory in the OT-era. As much as I’m b*tching about OT-purgitaroy, I’d do the same too if I had paid 4 billion for SW… And as long as there are offerings like RO— which in essence, introduced new, solid main characters, I’m good.

Reaction score
I do think people get hung up too much on the Midichlorian issue. I personally never saw such a big deal about it to make a fuss, even though it wasn't something I particularly liked. Does anyone know how many microorganisms are in their own body? Just saying... It's plausible from a scientific standpoint, and is useful in telling an audience how strong in the Force someone is compared to another. Some people need visuals to understand things, as opposed to taking someone's word for it.

Reaction score
^^^ That’s just the point: SW magic and mythology was reduced to a biological infection, when there was absolutely no need to explain it. The Judaeo-Christian religion believes in The Immaculate Conception simply as divine by all those that follow that Faith. Just go with that for your Chosen One tripe, George.

On the other hand, “Force trees” are just as bad.

It really isn’t about one or the other. It’s about thoughtful and creative selection to further that SW mythology.

(Frankly, I’ve completely forgotten about midichlorians until Mysterio brought it up— so yes, it’s a total none-issue… I think George also forgot about it post-TPM...)

Reaction score
You know what I just realized? I saw the title of this post and immediately thought "Oh here we go," but my God, we've all been respectful, friendly, and sincere. Is this a FIRST? A momentous occasion! Let's celebrate, boys! A "yay or nay" debate on the prequels didn't turn into flame wars!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Gareth got away with it, because Kathy/Disney weren't micro-managing HIS project, nearly as much as the official 'saga' sequels.

The "saga" films will have a lot more "CW" feel to them -- due to 'too many cooks', who are not necessarily concerned with creating SW content -- they are concerned with creating corporate pablum.

GAreth flew under the radar, because there was nothing to lose. these 'anthology' films are more like the 'gravy' -- where the saga films are Disney's "meat and potatoes" (so to speak).

the attentions of Disney/Kathy were elsewhere, as they devoted their entire attention to the "saga"... leaving Gareth to enjoy MORE freedom, than Rian Jonson & Colin Trevorrow.

Reaction score
I do think people get hung up too much on the Midichlorian issue.

Lucas touched up on this in his Bill Moyer interview, which has been brought up in discussion recently....not so much in its criticism, but as an allegory for the micro-nization of the world in the millennial age. To understand this in a similar fashion, watch Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Chase" which details the commonalities of the major species in the Alpha Quadrant, who depending on the species, are in conflict with one another.

Lucas must have had a bit of free time on his hands to possibly watch ST:TNG, regardless the episode in question was written by Joe Menosky, an alumni of Pomona College of which one of its most recent graduates spent a number of years building a working R2-D2 replica, which impressed Lucas himself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Gareth got away with it, because Kathy/Disney weren't micro-managing HIS project, nearly as much as the official 'saga' sequels.

The "saga" films will have a lot more "CW" feel to them -- due to 'too many cooks', who are not necessarily concerned with creating SW content -- they are concerned with creating corporate pablum.

GAreth flew under the radar, because there was nothing to lose. these 'anthology' films are more like the 'gravy' -- where the saga films are Disney's "meat and potatoes" (so to speak).

the attentions of Disney/Kathy were elsewhere, as they devoted their entire attention to the "saga"... leaving Gareth to enjoy MORE freedom, than Rian Jonson & Colin Trevorrow.

My faith is with these one-off stories as well.

This is no longer George’s orchestra— nor is Disney interested in any of George’s archetypical templates. They seem adamant about modernizing SW to the obnoxious level that TFA had, down to the mannerisms and colloquialism of current pop culture-- which will date it poorly. With the Prequel, as much of a mess as it was directionally and tonally, there was always that… classic, even a timeless charm that permeated the trilogy. With so many movies/trilogies/anthologies planned, I’m sure Disney will maximize their profits by appealing to every demographic: TFA (and likely the remainder of the Sequel), was strategically propped to appeal to even the lowest common denominator.

RO was on another level that’s sophisticated, gloomier and more serious, all the while still maintaining its commercial perimeters. There’s a lot to be admired in how Gareth and company towed the lines between commercial and innovation. (I still can’t stand the Vader inserts, and the Leia cameo still doesn't make sense. But I’d gladly suffer those cameos since the rest of the film is so solid.)

So far, the Han project seems to be modelled as a fun romp, buddy-type sell— maybe Fast And Furious-style…(In my dreams, Ron will secretly turn the Han movie into the Arrested Development feature project… But none of the actors are clever enough to fill those shoes, sadly.)

Hopefully with Stephen, the Obi-Wan story will be a more sombre and mature offering similar to RO’s creative trajectory (otherwise, why hire him...?). One thing I’ll give Disney: They're wise to sort out their stories according to the one dominating tone they want for each movie/Sequel, unlike George— who attempted tot cram in as many conflicting tones not just into a single story, but a interconnecting scenes with a colossal mess of an outcome, as he had shown with the Prequel.

Reaction score
Luke used the Force to escape DV, as he clearly lost. He needed to process the busy 2 weeks he just had, and that father info really changed his way of thinking. That lame scream has been gone for a while now, can't recall when it appeared first, was it the 97 SE? LOL it was weird.

Yes the Lame yelling he did when Luke fell of the weather vein was from the 97 SE. I remember well unfortunately.

Reaction score
There's no point in redoing them. Just move on....they had their moments....and their inconsistencies...they are what they are. It's just a problem with trying to create prequels in general though.

Reaction score
Whatever.... You're opinion and others like yours don't change the fact that I think TPM and ANH are the best SW movies ever made. If you think the original trilogy is perfect then you're deceiving yourself. I watched the original versions before getting the SE versions and I preferred them with exception of Han shooting second and Jabba because it looks horrible. You already got your "dream" and my nightmare with Disney. If the prequels were remade it would be the most disappointing thing since TFA.

Having said that, I would like to take a whack at editing parts of AOTC. I love the story but, it's pacing is out of place in the beginning. The shot with Windu pointing at nothing from walking off a gunship is horrid. Also, the Padme crotch jump on onto the reek is painful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whatever.... You're opinion and others like yours don't change the fact that I think TPM and ANH are the best SW movies ever made. If you think the original trilogy is perfect then you're deceiving yourself. I watched the original versions before getting the SE versions and I preferred them with exception of Han shooting second and Jabba because it looks horrible. You already got your "dream" and my nightmare with Disney. If the prequels were remade it would be the most disappointing thing since TFA.

Having said that, I would like to take a whack at editing parts of AOTC. I love the story but, it's pacing is out of place in the beginning. The shot with Windu pointing at nothing from walking off a gunship is horrid. Also, the Padme crotch jump on onto the reek is painful.

Who were you replying to?

Reaction score
LOL you know, the Jabba scene was updated for the BD, it's not as bad as it was, so it's less of a contrast vs. the classic look & much less painful...

Last edited:
Reaction score
If one were to think of redoing the prequels, it would be a lose /lose situation.

If you change the story (say stabby Padme ending, or removed romantic storyline obi/padme or just make the Jedi less child kidnappers) then you have changed everything the new EU is built on. If you make it a shot per shot with better acting, you still get screwed. (Who really wanted to see the color remake of Phyco... No one)

Disney has instead taken the approach to make different prequel stories that add to the universe & ignore where needed the less desired parts of the PT. Which I think is the right way to go.

Reaction score
Redoing the prequels are best left to fan-fic screenplays. You just can't undo them. And unfortunately that will be George's legacy. Not the universally praised OT, but the OT was good and the PT is controversial.

Reaction score
LOL we were just talking about the Psycho remake the other day here, we got started via Psycho IV talk.
If one were to think of redoing the prequels, it would be a lose /lose situation.

If you change the story (say stabby Padme ending, or removed romantic storyline obi/padme or just make the Jedi less child kidnappers) then you have changed everything the new EU is built on. If you make it a shot per shot with better acting, you still get screwed. (Who really wanted to see the color remake of Phyco... No one)

Disney has instead taken the approach to make different prequel stories that add to the universe & ignore where needed the less desired parts of the PT. Which I think is the right way to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And missing the point of those old Obi-Wan and Yoda mantra's from the original trilogy. This was about the force to them. I always argued that having Yoda (and Palpatine) resort to sabers fundamentally misunderstands what was established to be their caricature. They're beyond lightsabers by that point.

I have to disagree with this point. Against any other opponent, I would say this holds merit. However, the point is, against each other, their Force skills are so close, and so advanced, that they have to resort to lightsabers in order to win the battle. I thought both AOTC and ROTS showed this pretty clearly (heck, Dooku flat out says it!). For every power, the other has a counter, so a lightsaber is the only chance either one has. That's also why Mace was the only other Jedi capable of defeating Palpatine (and after disarming him, would have if not for Anakin's interference), and why Yoda had to run once he lost his lightsaber. The fights were otherwise stalemates that could only end if someone impaled the other. And as for Yoda doing flips - well, not only does that go along with the whole idea of one drawing power and abilities from the Force, but based on his size, he needed a fighting style that would allow him to adapt to a taller foe, which clearly worked when he killed Gree.

Reaction score
Looks like I may have to disagree with you on Yoda a bit. It already shows him absorb Lightning strike from Palpatine, so I don't think a Lightsaber is the only defense against such an attack. Although it may weaken an individual to do so repeatedly. Also, I don't feel Yoda runs away as you put it, simply because he lost his Saber. He knew reinforcements were coming, and basically up til that that point they were at a stalemate. So there was no other option. There was no victory to be had, so retreat was necessary. I think many people take what he says about failing the wrong way. Though TBH who really knows what George intended, he changes his mind so often. Because as a Jedi, he should have been able to retrieve his Saber through the Force. Right? They can unlatch doors w/o seeing the lock inside. A Jedi w/o a Lightsaber and troops with blasters approaching isn't a good thing.

Reaction score
This debate is a perfect example of how the prequels didn't expand or answer the questions we had from the OT, it just made things more convoluted and created inconsistencies in the saga as a whole.

On the topic of disowning the prequels I still don't think you can do it. But what you can do is clean up the effects. An Obi-wan movie would go a long to course correct them a bit.

Reaction score
We need to be reminded that Lucas originally scripted the AOTC saber battle w/o the Force exchange originally. But ILM felt that Yoda going into that kind of speed right away might seem a bit unbelievable so the Force exchange was suggested (to Lucas BTW) as a way to build up to the duel. As a rationale, Dooku suggested the use of sabers as a possible intimidation factor assuming Yoda's out-of-touch longevity with a saber. Assuming that's the case, the mere idea of Yoda traveling with a saber is a bit questionable unless we go by the assumption of that being some form of Jedi edict. Well, even Gandalf had to pick up a sword, so.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
We need to be reminded that Lucas originally scripted the AOTC saber battle w/o the Force exchange originally. But ILM felt that Yoda going into that kind of speed right away might seem a bit unbelievable so the Force exchange was suggested (to Lucas BTW) as a way to build up to the duel. As a rationale, Dooku suggested the use of sabers as a possible intimidation factor assuming Yoda's out-of-touch longevity with a saber. Assuming that's the case, the mere idea of Yoda traveling with a saber is a bit questionable unless we go by the assumption of that being some form of Jedi edict. Well, even Gandalf had to pick up a sword, so.....

When you consider a saber has other practical uses besides being a weapon, it would make sense to carry one at all times, anyway. And as a defense/offense against blaster bolts coming from multiple directions, it may yet be necessary. It's also quite clear why Yoda doesn't have his by ESB (real-world limitations of puppetry aside) - he lost it in the Senate Chamber, and didn't have time or materials to make a new one.

Reaction score
He had twenty years....and he was on the tantive iv before he went to dagobah. He totally could have come up with a grocery list. Or had bail go to the temple and grab one laying on the ground from the dead younglings.

Reaction score
Agreed. If they make a Obi-Wan movie, and to have him leave Tatooine. That would give credence to Yoda never leaving. But liek you said, how difficult would it be to assemble one en route? Supposedly the parts used to build one are everyday items aside from the crystal.

Reaction score
I wonder tho, would he even desire (or see the need) to have another one? It almost seems like Luke in VIII will be similar, self exiled and no interest left in the Force... retired so to speak, and maybe a loss in the faith-until, something makes it somewhat inspirational, or necessary again. Luke's dialogue in the trailer might be a result also of him being even less committed to the Force as Yoda was, we know his hundreds of years experience well surpasses Luke (but, what about them midichlorians? LOL).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do think Luke's comment about the Jedi ending is taken out of context. While I'm sure the events surrounding his Academy made him ponder this and that, he probably still believes in the Force. He may think the Jedi teachings of old need to end, thus be reborn into something different. Especially since they seem to be prime targets for the Darkside.

Reaction score
yeah, maybe. How Hamill has mentioned the direction of the character is at now isn't what he ever thought or expected, It'll be interesting to indeed see what it all means.