Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and SW VII

Reaction score
Well, with today's news what can we expect? I don't think we're going to have many problems with Disney running things, at least that's the hope based on their recent track record (i.e. see acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel). But, this certainly does change things from a creative viewpoint. And what of SW VII? Will it be the Old Republic, post-Ep. VI, or something different altogether? It's funny, because over the weekend I was just wondering what was coming next with Clone Wars on the back half of their series. I do believe we can expect a mixed bag of movie & TV product though, think other big franchises (i.e. Star Trek and James Bond). If this is something that's going to go on for some time, you're bound to have some stinkers in there along with some winners. On the bright side, you could end up with some great creative talent working on these films and TV shows. I can see why Lucas would have wanted to direct Ep. I, but on the whole each of the prequel movies would have benefited from different directorial visions just as Lucas did with episodes IV, V and VI. Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Well, with today's news what can we expect? I don't think we're going to have many problems with Disney running things, at least that's the hope based on their recent track record (i.e. see acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel). But, this certainly does change things from a creative viewpoint. And what of SW VII? Will it be the Old Republic, post-Ep. VI, or something different altogether? It's funny, because over the weekend I was just wondering what was coming next with Clone Wars on the back half of their series. I do believe we can expect a mixed bag of movie & TV product though, think other big franchises (i.e. Star Trek and James Bond). If this is something that's going to go on for some time, you're bound to have some stinkers in there along with some winners. On the bright side, you could end up with some great creative talent working on these films and TV shows. I can see why Lucas would have wanted to direct Ep. I, but on the whole each of the prequel movies would have benefited from different directorial visions just as Lucas did with episodes IV, V and VI. Thoughts anyone?
....ok, so does anyone think this will have an effect on Hasbro and your toy collecting patterns? How many are actuallty still collecting Star Wars products? Based on today's news (rumors), it appears that the house of the mouse is looking into acquiring Hasbro; for its G.I. Joe and Transformers assets, in addition to the lines it already owns.

Reaction score
I'm still collecting Star Wars. Fact is, there just hasn't been a lot hitting in the stores lately. Particularly with the last wave of Vintage ending up as an online only wave. Now that Vintage is done, chances are I'm going to be getting less and less SW. It will be interesting to see how things would be effected if Disney buys up Hasbro. Technically, they shouldn't have to pay licensing on lines like Star Wars, Marvel, etc., and theoretically that should drop the price a little on the figures. I doubt we'll see an actual price drop, though.

Reaction score
I'm still collecting Star Wars. Fact is, there just hasn't been a lot hitting in the stores lately. Particularly with the last wave of Vintage ending up as an online only wave. Now that Vintage is done, chances are I'm going to be getting less and less SW. It will be interesting to see how things would be effected if Disney buys up Hasbro. Technically, they shouldn't have to pay licensing on lines like Star Wars, Marvel, etc., and theoretically that should drop the price a little on the figures. I doubt we'll see an actual price drop, though.
Thanks Brett. You know I'm not opposed to putting a moratorium on the line for a few years, In time to do a relaunch in advance of Episode VII. It would also save me a little $$$ :) I was just thinking about the pricing of figures lately. It does seem completely ridiculous that only a few short years ago we were paying $5-$6 per figure. Back in the day, $3.50 was considered high and that was the mid to late eighties before the jump to the $4-$5 range. Seems like prices went up dramatically in the last 3-5 years, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. The price increase to $10 came about at the same time as the first Vintage figures from a few years back, and they ended up just raising the price on all figures released after that.

Reaction score
Yea, I think for me, it's just a matter of they're really running out of figures that I could consider "new enough" to warrant buying. Being a sucker for the Vintage cardbacks really lured me back in, but once that's done, my incentive to purchase figures drops dramatically. $10 is about the limit for me, and at that price, they need to be some really well done figures, which most of the Vintage figures have been. At this point, it feels like we're (for the most part) being presented with figures that we've already seen multiple times. As you say, might not be so bad (personally) to tone it down on Star Wars for the time being. Then when Episode VII rolls around, if it's at all interesting, then I'll probably get right back into the Star Wars line, hopefully with some renewed enthusiasm. In the meantime, I've got Marvel to hold me, and of course the Masters of the Universe Classics.

Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in here even though I'm no longer in the area.

The last figure I bought was the mail-away Rocket-Firing Boba Fett. There have been figures I wanted, but I never saw them at retail and didn't want to pay 2-3x the price just to get them. I can see SW being scaled back for a bit because you know they'll go all crazy for the release of Episode VII. I don't think I'll ever get to the 2005-2006 levels where I bought about 100 figures. In fact, I sold a bunch before I moved and will sell more soon. It may be time to quit for a while or quit completely - I haven't decided. Of course, my son will soon be old enough to start in, so who knows if I'll actually be quitting or not...

Reaction score
Good to hear from you John.

Here's the latest from a link off the main page re: the potential of an acquisition:
"Know what Disney didn't get for its more than $8 billion investment? The toy rights to its Star Wars and Marvel characters. Hasbro has held the rights to Star Wars toys since 1991, when it bought out Tonka and its Star Wars-coupled subsidiary Kenner. Hasbro is also contracted to produce Marvel-related toys until 2017, which means cash from any toy tie-ins for Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man or Avengers sequels made during that span funnels away from Disney.

That would make Disney understandably anxious to bring all that toy money ASAP, but there are a few messy little details that make this deal more dream than reality. First off, Hasbro's
Transformers and G.I. Joe summer blockbusters are properties of Viacom's (VIA.B +7459883.50%) Paramount Pictures. That studio already watched Disney eat its lunch once when it bought Marvel and began transferring over film rights to everything after "Iron Man 3," so it's not likely to let two more cash cows leave quietly.

Secondly, there's the small matter of Hasbro's partnership with Discovery (DISCA -1.17%) on The Hub cable network. The Hub carries G.I. Joe, Transformers, Beyblade and other Hasbro-based
animated series, which Disney would love to fold into its own cable channels.

Finally, there's the not insignificant matter of Disney's existing toy partner Mattel (MAT -1.52%). Disney Stores are filled with merchandise made by the biggest toymaker in the U.S., and buying a toy company could at the very least strain that relationship, which exists on a strictly contractual basis. Disney Princess items and other toys marketed to girls helped increase Mattel sales 22% last quarter, so losing the Mouse's support would be a huge hit to Mattel's toy box."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Paul, I went to send you a PM, but it looks like your box is full.

You should be all set on the JLU 3-pack. I even got the confirmation e-mail, so it looks like the order went through. $30 + $3.91 shipping + $2.52 tax, for a total of $36.43. I sent you a text with my paypal info.

Also, Liz and I are headed to Colorado on Tuesday to spend Thanksgiving with her mom and sister. I'm hoping these things will show up by the time I get back. What's the best way to get these to you? I'm going to be down in Stockton the weekend after Thanksgiving for a birthday party, so if no good transfer opportunity comes up before then, I can bring your set with me.

Hope things are going well, and hope you're more or less fully recovered since the last time I saw you!