Disney+

GNT

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinions on Disney+ streaming service? Who bought so they can watch the Mandalorian show?

Apparently on it's first day Disney had over 10 Million people subscribe to it's service which is massive. Now that Disney owns a lot of properties including 20TH Century Fox and their back catalogue this could see Disney become one of the biggest streaming giants around.

Thoughts on Disney+?

Reaction score
Mandalorian was the driving force behind my signing up. Its also nice to have all the marvel/muppets/pixar flicks in one place. I've got to admit, I'm impressed with the amount, quality, and variety of content. Its a pleasant surprise to see things like the 80's Spiderman cartoons and such on there. And vintage Disney flick campiness like Mr Boogedy.
While its a little more I guess you could say silly, family oriented content, I've got to admit I find myself more excited about the Duck Tales movie than a lot of the stuff on my Netflix watch list.

Reaction score
I signed up for all the new star wars content like the mandolrian and future star wars and marvel series.. I saw the empire strikes back and return of the Jedi in 4k..( Was surprised they were in 4k) So for me it's totally worth it.. This weekend I will be taking advantage that I'm not working and will be checking all the other available content as well as re watching the mandolrian again with my son. I signed up for the full year which is a better deal.. I recommend for every body to least try it out (7 day free trial).. Looking forward to Friday for the release of the 2nd episode of mandolrian..

Reaction score
I am waiting to sign up to hear feedback on show quality & let them build the library

Not in a rush to add another service

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinions on Disney+ streaming service? Who bought so they can watch the Mandalorian show?

Apparently on it's first day Disney had over 10 Million people subscribe to it's service which is massive
Well, I guess they don't need my $7 then... That said it is a free trial, so we'll see how many actually keep the sub going when it costs them. Some will see value others won't.

As I've said in other threads I'll wait until it's more feasible for me to do so. And maybe by then they;ll have worked any kinks out of the app.

Grahame

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I paid for 3 years up front, I know I’ll get more than my money’s worth just streaming Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb and everything from the MCU. I’m also really interested in the weekly shows like The Imagineering Story and obviously Mando and the final series of TCW. Honestly $4 a month was a no brainer and now I don’t have to even think about whether to cancel or continue I can just enjoy it.

Reaction score
I paid for 3 years up front, I know I’ll get more than my money’s worth just streaming Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb and everything from the MCU. I’m also really interested in the weekly shows like The Imagineering Story and obviously Mando and the final series of TCW. Honestly $4 a month was a no brainer and now I don’t have to even think about whether to cancel or continue I can just enjoy it.
I did the same. Even if there wasn't a thing on there I wanted to watch, I knew my daughters would be nuts for it. As it is, there's a ton on there I want to watch. I saw a bunch of articles that talked about how Disney+ was lagging way behind Netflix in both quality and quantity. I think that's bunk. I can spend an hour scrolling through Netflix and not find a thing I want to watch. I spent 20-30 minutes scrolling through Disney+ and found very few things I wouldn't want to watch, or at least couldn't tolerate watching with my girls. The quality is far superior to the other big streaming services, and that's without any of the big MCU series hitting yet.

Grahame

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just noticed that the version number of the Disney+ app on my LG TV is 1.1.4.dooku

I wonder what other versions are numbered...

Reaction score
I'm enjoying it a great deal. I did the yearly subscription for the basic streaming. Saves about a buck on the month to month rate. Besides watching The Mandalorian, I am really enjoying some of the old Disney movies that are only available on blu-ray through the Disney Movie Club. Movies like The Black Hole. I was also going through many of my favorite Simpsons episodes as well.

Reaction score
I got many offers for multiyear deals over the past couple months but held out to sign up for the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle, can't beat that for $13 a month. Yes The Mandalorian is a huge reason to sign up and the first episode was great, plus the back catalog of everything Disney and Fox but the pleasant surprise was seeing all of the Star Wars library in 4K right away. I have been watching the SW movies in 4K the past couple days and they just look amazing. So right off the bat its worth it for me and hearing about all of the future projects in development its just going to get better.

Reaction score
The first night after watching Mandalorian, I watched the Imagineering show, and the Jeff Goldblum show. Both very good. The content is outstanding right out of the box. Every released Star Wars movie, Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance. Almost every Marvel movie, all the classic Disney films. Even some things I did not expect, like the 90's X-Men cartoon.

Reaction score
I signed up.

I have been impressed with the Mandalorian after one chapter....

The Imagineering program is AMAZING! Almost through the first one....so this will be ongoing, sweet!!!!

Reaction score
The first night after watching Mandalorian, I watched the Imagineering show, and the Jeff Goldblum show. Both very good. The content is outstanding right out of the box. Every released Star Wars movie, Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance. Almost every Marvel movie, all the classic Disney films. Even some things I did not expect, like the 90's X-Men cartoon.
Yup. There are still some movies not on there yet, but it will show up once Netflix's contract is up for movies like Infinity War and the Solo movie.

Reaction score
there seem to be a lot of glitches and bandwidth issues. my connection is hit-and-miss. these mandalorian episodes are only about 40 minutes long, and I can't seem to get through an entire episode without buffering issues.

Coz

Reaction score
I'm going month to month. I thought about waiting until all the Mandalorian episodes were out but couldn't wait. By the time the season ends I think I will have watched everything I want to see, and will cancel until there is more content. I don't do more than 2 streaming services at a time. I do prime yearly so I jump around with others. I've had no issues with buffering etc on Disney. Nice to see the OT & Prequels in 4K HDR.

Reaction score
as part of our weekly star wars marathon (one episode per week, leading up to episode IX), tonight we watched episode IV.

we watched the whole movie in 4K and, for some reason, there was no "Maclunkey" scene. (my wife was disappointed because she had heard all about it, and she wanted to see the new change for herself).

so after the movie was over, we re-started the Disney app, and cued the movie again to the 50:00 mark... and lo and behold... there WAS a "Maclunkey" in this scene (so she DID get to see the new change afterall, and yes, she thought it was hilarious).

the weird thing was, the movie played in 4K with no "Maclunkey"... and then as soon as the movie was over, we (re-started the app and) played the SAME scene again, and this time there WAS a "Maclunkey" -- so Disney streamed 2 different versions of the same movie to our TV tonight.

this leads me to believe that Disney has multiple "mirrors" of their server(s), and some mirrors have the new version, while other mirrors do not -- so it's sort of like the prize at the bottom of a cracker-jack box -- you never know which one you'll get.

GNT

Reaction score
Is this Maclunkey new addition to ANH? I can't say I've ever seen it before.

Reaction score

it looks like this

^^ this scene has been changed repeatedly over the years.
now, in the new version, Greedo calls Han a "Maclunkey", right before they shoot at each other.

Reaction score
Apparently it was another Lucas addition, made prior to the Disney acquisition when Lucasfilm was working on 4K transfers in anticipation of the 3D theatrical re-releases (which, beyond The Phantom Menace, never happened).

Reaction score
Apparently it was another Lucas addition, made prior to the Disney acquisition when Lucasfilm was working on 4K transfers in anticipation of the 3D theatrical re-releases (which, beyond The Phantom Menace, never happened).
Well, you know, it was his original vision to have Greedo say "Maclunkey", but the technology wasn't available at the time. It's one of those nagging things that was eating away at him for over 40 years. I can only hope that now he has achieved some well deserved peace and solace.

Reaction score
there seem to be a lot of glitches and bandwidth issues. my connection is hit-and-miss. these mandalorian episodes are only about 40 minutes long, and I can't seem to get through an entire episode without buffering issues.
Another reason why I'm not big fan of streaming everything.